Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

smellmycheese posted:

Brexit Benefits - Arse Salad

Life, uh, finds a way

lmao

E: worthless snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hello UKMT. I took a break from UK news for a few weeks so have no idea what's going on at the moment. Hope everyone's ok :)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

strong endorsement

I guess unless ol' Silvio becomes English you're stuck with PM Boris until either you're dead or he is

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Convex posted:

Hello UKMT. I took a break from UK news for a few weeks so have no idea what's going on at the moment. Hope everyone's ok :)

Welcome back. :)

My thought for the week: Enjoy the Brexit, because the Rejoin will be terrifying.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I guess unless ol' Silvio becomes English you're stuck with PM Boris until either you're dead or he is

I mean, Boris is/was American. We've had a Canadian prime minister. This isn't America, if Queenie (or Charles) wants to make Silvio PM that's perfectly legal.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rejoin is not happening any time soon IMO, because there's no way EU would allow the UK to keep the same optouts for euro, budget contributions, schengen borders and visas, bespoke family reunion and permanent residence rules, etc.

People might be slightly in favour of it but I think most would balk over the standard membership conditions.

e: phoneposting

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 18, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Rejoin is not happening any time soon, because there's no way EU would allow the UK to keept the same optoits foru euro, budget contributions, schengen borders and visas, bespoke family reunion and permanent residence rules, etc.

Strict adherence to the Copenhagen Criteria is my wish if a rejoin is ever tried.... no more little side deals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not a big fan of losing the ability to print as much money as we like tbh.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rejoin is dead for some years yet, but since even the maddest brexiters thought that EEA was the most likely outcome after the referendum, that's what any non-insane UK government should aim for. And then we can deal with other problems that aren't customs checks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

feedmegin posted:

I mean, Boris is/was American. We've had a Canadian prime minister. This isn't America, if Queenie (or Charles) wants to make Silvio PM that's perfectly legal.

my point, not a very good one, was that the UK seems to switch PM's when a worse option is found. I will say Berlusconi did his sleaze with a lot more confidence than Boris though

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Is there really any reason we couldn't have negotiated a Switzerland or Norway-like situation if the govt had actually put the effort in?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A United Ireland, peace in the Middle East, and a manned Chinese moon landing are all unironically more likely than a Johnson cabinet putting any effort into anything.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

Is there really any reason we couldn't have negotiated a Switzerland or Norway-like situation if the govt had actually put the effort in?

NOT REAL BREXIT :mad:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

EURO FORRINS!!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/brexit-explained-what-is-the-norway-model-and-is-it-an-option-for-the-uk-1.3712387

quote:

What would the UK not like about a Norway-type deal?

By signing up to EU single market rules, Norway agrees to the four freedoms - the freedom of movement of goods, services, capital and people so it might cross another UK red line: the British government’s desire to retain control over its own borders and a say in who it lets into the country. Being a “rules taker” – following EU rules without having a say in drafting them – will not appeal to many Brexiteers because it does not give London control over its own economic rules. The UK would still be held accountable by the EFTA court, so it would not be completely free of the EU.

You would have Farage, Patel, and Boris constantly eyes rolled backed high pitched screaming like a SCP entity if we did go the Norway route.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

The reason being that Theresa May set negotiating red lines which were fundamentally opposed to how the EU functions i.e. The free movement of people, goods, and services.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

mrpwase posted:

My mate who works in legal services has been having problems at work, and asked me how to join a union. Beyond recommending the IWW I don't really have any ideas beyond the UVW that came up in a search for "legal services union", or some big umbrella union like Unite. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think it's already been answered but both myself and any left wing law adjacent people I know are in unite so that would be my recommendation.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Theresa May really was terrible at brexit, and the architect of the stupid situation we are now stuck in.

She triggered article 50 and gave herself a two year ticking clock without a negotiating position. There was no pressure at all to do this, it only harmed the UK position.

Wasted a bunch of time on an election campaign.

Wasted more time repeatedly going back to the negotiating table with nothing new.

Eventually brought back an agreement to come to an agreement (actually forget what that was now, doesn't matter never happened).

Resigned and put a lazy sociopath in charge who then ran out the clock doing nothing because it was too hard for him. Good job he didn't have to deal with anything else that was difficult.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 18, 2021

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The withdrawal agreement should have had a 10 year timescale. Or at the very least pushed everything back by 2 years when The Event happened.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

keep punching joe posted:

The reason being that Theresa May set negotiating red lines which were fundamentally opposed to how the EU functions i.e. The free movement of people, goods, and services.

Yeah really pretty obvious now you say it. I guess it's good that the impact seems likely to be slow frustrating pointlessly masochistic and lingering, rather than 'complete supply chain collapse'.

Though I still have no real idea how things are still functioning even at the level they are given how the government completely shat the bed on everything and doesn't seem to have any real agreement on EU imports etc. How are we still able to buy brie and whatever? Are we in yet another extended 'transition period'? Honestly I've not been keeping up with Brexit stuff since the pandemic started.

I met a headteacher the other day and she was saying the first she knew about her school closing way back at the start of the pandemic was when she saw it on the news when she was sitting in get pjs the night before lol.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 18, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
See also for reference this handy chart:

e: I admire whoever made that chart. I aspire to drop a chart like this in a presentation one day and immediately end all discussion because The Chart just explained everything.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 18, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Also lol at the people talking about NI businesses reorienting their supply chains to the EU from the UK. The Tories are actually going to directly cause Irish reunification aren't they.

And/or reignite the troubles. I guess reunification would probably do that anyway, only it would be the UVF setting off most of the car bombs

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean as far as I understand Brexit has hosed the Swiss arrangement too. A lot of the inviolable EU rules had, in fact, been violated in the Swiss deal and everyone mostly ignored that for convenience.

But credibly claiming they couldn't be broken for the UK required not breaking them for Switzerland anymore and the result was that the Swiss binned the deal (at least that was the case when I was reading about it 6 months ago).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

DaWolfey posted:

The withdrawal agreement should have had a 10 year timescale. Or at the very least pushed everything back by 2 years when The Event happened.

The withdrawal agreement timetable was fine and attainable.
It was the UK that decided to go on holiday for ten months every time after and do nothing, then send in Davis/Frost two months in before the next deadline to demand the same impossible requests since the last meetings.
The UK could have worked on it all the 5 years since the vote, converting EU rules to UK rules, having contingency plans depending on the outcomes, etc, but no, they did gently caress all apart tell UK businesses to open an EU office.
The EU did work during that time, and had funds for businesses and such to alleviate any potential problems.
The UK had only bluster and +5 Conservatives polls as the country lapped it up.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

Also lol at the people talking about NI businesses reorienting their supply chains to the EU from the UK. The Tories are actually going to directly cause Irish reunification aren't they.

And/or reignite the troubles. I guess reunification would probably do that anyway, only it would be the UVF setting off most of the car bombs

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/huge-jump-in-all-island-trade-as-export-businesses-break-for-the-border-region-40953752.html

quote:

The value of goods imported from Northern Ireland to the Republic rose by 77pc in the first six months of the year, while the value of exports from the Republic into the North rose 43pc.

In times past it would have been cheaper to load the lorry in Belfast or wherever in NI, and have it driven to whereever in main land Europe they wanted via ferry to UK, then chunnel.
But now its better to drive it down into Republic of Ireland and get on the more numerous now ferry/cargo routes that have opened since Brexit started.
A lot of routes that would have went to South England are now going to Ireland instead.

https://trans.info/en/yet-more-growth-in-shipping-routes-between-ireland-and-european-mainland-258036

quote:

A new Irish terminal has opened at the French ferry port of Dunkirk, bringing the number of Ireland-France shipping routes up from 12 to 44 since Brexit. Moreover, Grimaldi Lines is also reportedly looking to double its sailings from Cork to Antwerp and Zeebrugge.

All because Nigel didn't want a Romanian neighbour.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It is weird that nobody ever seems to talk about the possibility of rejoining the single market or something. All the remainiac ultras talk about is rejoining, which is never going to happen, at least for a decade+. Seems like it would be an obvious thing for Starmer to push for that doesn't upset any of the people he actually gives a poo poo about. Maybe the idea is that the Tories will end up having to plump for the single market in the end once the contradictions of the NI stuff become untenable. That seems pretty optimistic that the Tories won't just blow everything up and enjoy CON+30 for the privilege.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rejoining the single market means accepting free movement, which Labour can't do while also pandering to racist boomers.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

He could pull the same bullshit angle as the Tories, claiming he could somehow get a deal to get in the single market and lose free movement, regardless of the reality.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Thanks mate :) Been a while. In all honesty the news is like a steamroller of doom slowly making its way toward your toes so I definitely needed a break.

Did we decide on any new pickled onion fudge flavours

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think Labour is keen not to touch the massive can of worms that is Brexit and the UK's relationship with the EU, because that would immediately set off the whole debate again. Much easier to criticize the utter shitshow that Brexit has become under the Tories - never interrupt your enemy etc. etc.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This article is suspect af, literally every point is “Here is what generations of peer reviewed scholars have researched and have evidence for but actually it’s all wrong ”[optionally, “because of this one thing I found that I’ve taken out of context”], with no or misleadingly presented backup. I hate lazy poo poo like this, it’s like a gift to right wing academics.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Comrade Fakename posted:

It is weird that nobody ever seems to talk about the possibility of rejoining the single market or something. All the remainiac ultras talk about is rejoining, which is never going to happen, at least for a decade+. Seems like it would be an obvious thing for Starmer to push for that doesn't upset any of the people he actually gives a poo poo about. Maybe the idea is that the Tories will end up having to plump for the single market in the end once the contradictions of the NI stuff become untenable. That seems pretty optimistic that the Tories won't just blow everything up and enjoy CON+30 for the privilege.

Rejoining the single market would also be fairly easy to obscure behind a bunch of trade jargon that the man on the street's eyes will glaze over hearing. All they need to know is we've definitely still Brexit'd and they can still have bendy bananas and white dog poo poo like when I were a lad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They'd just have to call it the 'Boris Bonanza' and claim we strongarmed the EU into giving us this sweet deal. Concepts like truth and reality became meaningless a long time ago.

As long as we give people an excuse to keep up the kayfabe of stong britane grate nation, most brexiteers won't bother with the fire print.

Bung a lifetime £500k/pa salary in there for Farage to shut him up and we're gold.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m remembering all those Twitter arguments I had with a smug guardian journo and then his mate from the independent who well actualled at me over the eastern leg of HS2, when I pointed out that if you demolish and build over everything there is to be demolished and built over to build the loving M1 then there is no space for an additional major railway line left.

The actual reality of the Chesterfield to Sheffield section, including the maintenance line, meant it had to cross the M1 4 times, and either bring in tunnelling equipment or trains that could fly - and that’s just geography, not mentioning the hundreds of council flats, predominantly lived in by elderly people which would be demolished to “bring more work into the area”.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Lungboy posted:

Has anyone retrained in their 40s or later? Seriously unhappy at my current job so am considering an apprenticeship but it's very scary throwing away a permanent job that pays relatively well for something I think i might like but really have no idea.

Doing this now aged 41. I switched careers twice before, aged 31 and aged 38. Both times worked out well for me but, and this is a huge qualifier, if you do this you end up like me eventually HAVING to work for yourself and find customers/clients for whatever you’re good at because no fucker will employ you any more if you don’t come down the conveyor belt neatly wrapped in a bow.

That said I cannot overemphasise how terrifying it is to not have an income. It took me about six weeks to get my first real independent gig and it was pure misery. Being out the other side gives you a lot of self-confidence but unless you have your client base lined up in advance it’s going to be very painful to get there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
If the HS2 was too expensive, this mean the tunnel to Northern Ireland is still on?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tunnel to NI has been replaced with Boris' new idea

learnincurve posted:

trains that could fly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I think Labour is keen not to touch the massive can of worms that is Brexit and the UK's relationship with the EU, because that would immediately set off the whole debate again. Much easier to criticize the utter shitshow that Brexit has become under the Tories - never interrupt your enemy etc. etc.

The thing with "never interrupt your enemy while he's making a mistake" is that it doesn't work if you don't capitalise on the mistake and instead allow him to continue making mistakes unopposed. Which is the Labour strategy: "do nothing to show that we give a gently caress about the mistakes the Tories are making, we don't need to because it's our turn".

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Jedit posted:

The thing with "never interrupt your enemy while he's making a mistake" is that it doesn't work if you don't capitalise on the mistake and instead allow him to continue making mistakes unopposed. Which is the Labour strategy: "do nothing to show that we give a gently caress about the mistakes the Tories are making, we don't need to because it's our turn".

That being said, if you’re going to bank on anyone overreaching and self destructing, BoJo was indeed a safe bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
16 years to the day since Ireland's most cantankerous sports pundit put Rod Liddle into an early grave for criticising Roy Keane

https://twitter.com/SportsJOEdotie/status/1461279575611170823?t=7LpLggLUM03lNFAhS5G1JQ&s=19