Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

DropsySufferer posted:

My dream is a God Emperor HBO max or Netflix series. God Emperor wouldn't transfer to a movie well but would suit a series.

Are the Gholas just exact clones or sort of human hybrids? I remember in the books the first Ghola Ducan was different...

The gholas were an exact clone from his DNA, but lacked his memories, which I guess makes them comparable to a genetically identical twin.

The first DUNC ghola, in particular, was trained as a mentat and given metal eyes, and of course didn't have any of the original DUNC's experiences as an Atreides retainer, so the discomfort was from meeting effectively a total stranger wearing Duncan's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Ramc posted:

leto II is never horny

(they were not boning tho. leto became a worm and never scored)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Riot Bimbo posted:

Idaho: in a petersonian sense...

Moneo: What the gently caress are you talking about Duncan?

:ibadpop:

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
Does anyone have that frank herbert starbucks story? Search is failing me

Edit: did I hallucinate this? I should be able to find something that used the phrase "geriatric discount"

Randal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 18, 2021

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Just saw it in the cinema today, I thought it was really well done, some bits were missing that I'd like to have seen, but 4 hours is too long I guess. The voice irritated me. I'd always understood from the books that it wasn't a weird way of speaking but rather a result of the BG being hyper observant and understanding people extremely well, that enabled them to pitch their tone and word choice in a way that a person would instinctively obey.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Randal posted:

Does anyone have that frank herbert starbucks story? Search is failing me

Edit: did I hallucinate this? I should be able to find something that used the phrase "geriatric discount"

Ramc posted:

It was fall again, and with the changing of the leaves the ancient Frank Herbert dared.

Braving the teeming water-fat masses of the outside world he made his way and at altar of the fish-wife goddess he made his demands of the barista.

"The spice." he hissed, his voice a dusty rasp, almost a whisper. "It must flow."

The servant prepared his beverage- the spice coffee- and the cinnamon and nutmeg smell of melange teased his nostrils.

"So, uh, sir, do you want your senior discount?" the barista inquired

"The geriatric discount??"

"Uh, yeah, so that's ten cents off..."

"Ah-h-h-h" Frank smiled in triumph, producing- just as he had foreseen- an additional coupon and slid it across the counter.

Deals within deals...

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
Oh thank you so much, dude. I was going mad for a moment there

Edit: my sister sent me some spice coffee and she knows I'm a big dune fan. Had to share this with her

Randal fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 18, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yaffle posted:

Just saw it in the cinema today, I thought it was really well done, some bits were missing that I'd like to have seen, but 4 hours is too long I guess. The voice irritated me. I'd always understood from the books that it wasn't a weird way of speaking but rather a result of the BG being hyper observant and understanding people extremely well, that enabled them to pitch their tone and word choice in a way that a person would instinctively obey.

That’s how it was on the movie too

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

euphronius posted:

That’s how it was on the movie too

Not really, I'm pretty sure people can't make a whole bunch of echoey/growly over and undertones whilst at the same time subtly overdubbing themselves a second or so behind. It reduced the voice to a ventriloquist act of some sort and it's never described that way in the books.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

yaffle posted:

Not really, I'm pretty sure people can't make a whole bunch of echoey/growly over and undertones whilst at the same time subtly overdubbing themselves a second or so behind. It reduced the voice to a ventriloquist act of some sort and it's never described that way in the books.

It would be very hard to depict that kind of subtlety in a movie. None of the other adaptations did that either. Still gets the point across.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Denis please use a scientifically accurate voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTkF8tomobA

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yaffle posted:

I think you missed a lot of what was going in the movie wrt to the the voice esp the thopter scene which went exactly how you wanted it to be

It’s ok it’s a subtle movie that demands a lot of attention

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ror posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ror posted:

How dare you post the voice at me

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ror posted:

ffs i just lost it all over again at this loving video.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ror posted:

Neanderthals sounded like Monty Python imitating house wives. This is news we can use.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ror posted:

:ibadpop:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
her face in the thumbnail is the face i make when i watch that video.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

:hmmyes:

Appropriately downtrodden.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Poor Moneo.

Leto2 is always busting Mineo’s balls about being a straight laced, unimaginative, normy but at the first flicker of jumping the rails he would’ve rolled over him in rage. Literally.

I never pictured him like that, but that’s a good take. Tired and resigned.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I always imagined Moneo as being bald with a big mustache

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Ramc posted:

“How do you call among you the little mouse, the mouse that jumps?” Paul asked, remembering the pop-hop of motion at Tuono Basin. He illustrated with one hand. A chuckle sounded through the troop. “We call that one bearer,” Stilgar said.

“Is that the name you wish, Bearer?” Stilgar asked. “I am an Atreides,” Paul whispered, and then louder: “It’s not right that I give up entirely the name my father gave me. Could I be known among you as Paul Bearer?”

“Oh yes.” Stilgar said.

Paul Bearer hefted aloft the golden urn in reply, "Ohhhhhh Yessssss."

As Paul readied himself for his duel with the na-Baron he turned to his new mentat ally, "Calculate the odds of my success in this coming battle, Scott."

There was a metallic jingling as the mentat's chainmail coif moved in time with the memetic calculating nod,

"YOU KNOW THEY SAY ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

BUT YOU LOOK AT MUAD'IB AND YOU LOOK AT FEYD RAUTHA AND YOU CAN SEE THAT STATEMENT IS NOT TRUE

SEE NORMALLY IF YOU GO 1 ON 1 WITH ANOTHER GLADIATOR YOU GOT A FIFTY-FIFTY CHANCE OF WINNING

BUT YOU IS THE KWIZACH HADERACH AND YOU'RE NOT NORMAL

SO HE GOT A TWENTY FIVE PERCENT CHANCE AT BEST OF BEAT YOU

AND THEN YOU ADD COUNT FENRING TO THE MIX? you THE CHANCES OF WINNING, DRASTIC GO DOWN!

SEE THE THREE WAY, AT ARRAKIS, YOU GOT A THIRTY THREE AND A THIRD CHANCE OF WINNING

BUT MUAD'IB GOT A SIXTY SIX AND TWO-THIRDS CHANCE OF WINNING

CAUSE COUNT FENRING KNOWS HE COULD BEAT PAUL! BUT HE'S NOT GONNA EVEN TRY!

SO FEYD-RAUTHA YOU TAKE YOUR THIRTY THREE AND A THIRD CHANCE MINUS PAULS TWENTY FIVE PERCENT CHANCE

YOU GOT AN EIGHT AND A THIRD CHANCE OF WINNIN

AT ARRAKIS

BUT YOU TAKE PAUL'S SEVENTY FIVE PER CHANCE CHANCE OF WINNIN (IF YOU WAS TO GO ONE ON ONE)

AND THEN ADD SIXTY SIX AND TWO THIRDS CHAN.. PERCENTS...

PAUL GOT A ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY ONE AND TWO THIRDS CHANCE OF WINNIN

AT ARRAKIS

SENOR FEYD

THE NUMBERS DONT LIE

AND THEY SPELL DISASTER FOR THE HARKONNENS

AT ARRAKIS"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hard times is when a family has worked the spice for 80 years they give em a watch kick em in the butt and say hey an atreides took your place daddy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Automatic Slim posted:

Neanderthals sounded like Monty Python imitating house wives. This is news we can use.

Put your spam in the box!

oh here we go

Leto! He's dead!

No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Look, Paul, I know a dead duke when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable man, the Duke, idn'it, ay? Beautiful beard!

'E's passed on! The Duke is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! (aaaayyeeeee!!!) 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If the Baraon hadn't nailed 'im to the chair 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the dune! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-DUKE!! May Shai Hulud cleanse 'is passin

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

euphronius posted:

I think you missed a lot of what was going in the movie wrt to the the voice esp the thopter scene which went exactly how you wanted it to be

It’s ok it’s a subtle movie that demands a lot of attention

Not really, the thopter scene was wierdly re-written for the film. Why include all the lines from the guards about raping Jessica and then not have her and Paul use the voice to manipulate them with that? (Also Paul didn't kick anyone).

yaffle fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 18, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yaffle posted:

Not really, the thopter scene was wierdly re-written for the film. Why include all the lines from the guards about raping Jessica and then not have her and Paul use the voice to manipulate them with that? (Also Paul didn't kick anyone).

I can't think of a single reason why they wouldn't show the guards being enticed into rape, not a one

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nearly all the excisions are things that would have been good flavour but are actually kind of pointless: sardaukar in disguise? Everyone instantly recognises them. Baron explaining his plan? We get to see it instead. Yueh has unbreakable conditioning? It gets broken by an east end villain level scheme. Duke pretending not to trust Jessica? Pointless and nothing comes of it. Thufir same? Same.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Paul did an attack with his feet

I guess it wasn't technically a kick though GOTTEM

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lynch tried to show the kick. It looked dumb. You would have to have a Mortal Kombat brutality from the latest game to show his spleen getting exploded or whatever.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

sebmojo posted:

I can't think of a single reason why they wouldn't show the guards being enticed into rape, not a one

Then why include the lines at all?

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Helps to characterize the Harkonnen as scumbags ?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

A week ago I watched dunc and spicediver back to back and I honestly think that Lynch has more verbatim and semi-verbatim book lines. Dunc still feels much more like the book though

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sebmojo posted:

Nearly all the excisions are things that would have been good flavour but are actually kind of pointless: sardaukar in disguise? Everyone instantly recognises them. Baron explaining his plan? We get to see it instead. Yueh has unbreakable conditioning? It gets broken by an east end villain level scheme. Duke pretending not to trust Jessica? Pointless and nothing comes of it. Thufir same? Same.

One thing I really wanted to see was Duncan busting into the palace wasted on spice beer and accusing Jessica of being a traitor (doesn't she slap him in the book?) but yeah, basically all of the 'everyone suspecting each other' stuff is superfluous for a film.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The excision of “one of us is a bad guy………….but who?” is pretty obvious for a time-constrained thing but I still don’t like it. It makes the Atreides out to be unnecessarily dumb. I think the character hit hardest by it is Thufir, who always gets marginalized in adaptation because he’s grumpy and old instead of charming and sexy, and also because his story is about accepting failure and death. We’re left with a master of assassins and human computer (actually, do they ever give Thufir a title in the movie?) who never bothered to check his own team to see if any of them were playing for the other guy.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mister Speaker posted:

One thing I really wanted to see was Duncan busting into the palace wasted on spice beer and accusing Jessica of being a traitor (doesn't she slap him in the book?) but yeah, basically all of the 'everyone suspecting each other' stuff is superfluous for a film.
She throws coffee in his face. The Jessica/Hawat scene immediately following is one of my big "ah poo poo I wanted to see that" things missing from the film.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

This Gilbert Gottfried cameo is relevant

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

the enthusiasm!!!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Can someone with knowledge of Greek roots tell me what "Ampoliros" is emulating? I can only see the in-book explanation from Orthodox sources and some grey fuzzy stuff about KJA that my mind won't obliterate fully

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Ramc posted:

As Paul readied himself for his duel with the na-Baron he turned to his new mentat ally, "Calculate the odds of my success in this coming battle, Scott."

There was a metallic jingling as the mentat's chainmail coif moved in time with the memetic calculating nod,

"YOU KNOW THEY SAY ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL

BUT YOU LOOK AT MUAD'IB AND YOU LOOK AT FEYD RAUTHA AND YOU CAN SEE THAT STATEMENT IS NOT TRUE

SEE NORMALLY IF YOU GO 1 ON 1 WITH ANOTHER GLADIATOR YOU GOT A FIFTY-FIFTY CHANCE OF WINNING

BUT YOU IS THE KWIZACH HADERACH AND YOU'RE NOT NORMAL

SO HE GOT A TWENTY FIVE PERCENT CHANCE AT BEST OF BEAT YOU

AND THEN YOU ADD COUNT FENRING TO THE MIX? you THE CHANCES OF WINNING, DRASTIC GO DOWN!

SEE THE THREE WAY, AT ARRAKIS, YOU GOT A THIRTY THREE AND A THIRD CHANCE OF WINNING

BUT MUAD'IB GOT A SIXTY SIX AND TWO-THIRDS CHANCE OF WINNING

CAUSE COUNT FENRING KNOWS HE COULD BEAT PAUL! BUT HE'S NOT GONNA EVEN TRY!

SO FEYD-RAUTHA YOU TAKE YOUR THIRTY THREE AND A THIRD CHANCE MINUS PAULS TWENTY FIVE PERCENT CHANCE

YOU GOT AN EIGHT AND A THIRD CHANCE OF WINNIN

AT ARRAKIS

BUT YOU TAKE PAUL'S SEVENTY FIVE PER CHANCE CHANCE OF WINNIN (IF YOU WAS TO GO ONE ON ONE)

AND THEN ADD SIXTY SIX AND TWO THIRDS CHAN.. PERCENTS...

PAUL GOT A ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY ONE AND TWO THIRDS CHANCE OF WINNIN

AT ARRAKIS

SENOR FEYD

THE NUMBERS DONT LIE

AND THEY SPELL DISASTER FOR THE HARKONNENS

AT ARRAKIS"

*sets up easy spike* mentat steiner what is your opinion on the baron harkonnen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I keep seeing this website being mentioned, is this a new short form video thing that the kids are into now? is this the new vine TikTok