Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wasn't the Steal gambit thing a deliberate design decision to attempt to prevent stealing from just being totally automatic like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wasn't the Steal gambit thing a deliberate design decision to attempt to prevent stealing from just being totally automatic like that?

Deliberate or not, all it does is just make me never use Steal until I got a smart steal mod installed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's using gameplay to teach you that Stealing is Wrong

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mega64 posted:

My steal from Walmart gambit always works

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

14 is the worst final fantasy

Only when you have to play with other people.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mega64 posted:

In FF12 it is actually Badong because the primary (only?) purpose of stealing is to get money and there’s a button that just gives you infinite gil in TZA

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

FF12 is not a very good game, but its not the worst Final Fantasy, which we all agree is Final Fantasy Tactics, which itself, is better than Baldur's Gate.

:toughguy:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The one thing that lingered in my mind after I played 12 was: Why wasn't Ash or Basch the main character?

Should probably play through Zodiac Age as everyone seems to praise it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ashe is the main character.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Ashe is the protagonist. From the moment she joins the party she has the spotlight for the rest of the game. Vaan's the PoV character for the player, but he isn't the protagonist. He plays an important supporting role as a foil for Ashe, but he's not the main character by a long shot.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

jokes posted:

In FF12 it is actually Badong because the primary (only?) purpose of stealing is to get money and there’s a button that just gives you infinite gil in TZA

I thought selling those items in a specific way unlocked new equipment? Because it’s a Matsuno game, of course.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Arist posted:

Ashe is the main character.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Ashe is the protagonist. From the moment she joins the party she has the spotlight for the rest of the game. Vaan's the PoV character for the player, but he isn't the protagonist. He plays an important supporting role as a foil for Ashe, but he's not the main character by a long shot.

Should have played as her from the start :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

But then you wouldn't get the commoner-level introduction to the world and its conflicts followed by being swept into adventure by a dashing sky pirate and his cool rabbit lady friend

I dunno, I think I just like the way we're introduced to Ashe in FFXII and that wouldn't have happened if you played as her from the start. It's kinda fun just running into this apparently random resistance fighter lady who's super abrasive and then you find out she's the princess and she's pissed off she's stuck with your stupid group of idiots (and that one traitor) because you're the only ones who'll help her.

I think it's like... I don't really know if I have much attachment to Vaan specifically as a character, but I do like the angle of approach into the main story he provides, if that makes any sense? Starting out controlling Basch or Ashe wouldn't have allowed for the really strong intro to play out how it does.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Ashe isn't the player avatar for a lot of reasons- she'd have no interest in anything resembling side quests or the hunting, and the plot of XII does not work as it exists if it was Ashe's head we were in- Vaan provides us a comparative viewpoint, being her foil as a character, without showing us what she's seeing or thinking at any given time and this preserving the core tension of the plot. The joke is that Vaan is Ishmael, and in that comparison Ashe very much is Ahab- the most compelling character in the story, but a large part of Moby Dick is learning just how far that bastard would go to finally overcome the whale, so you can't write Moby Dick from his point of view and get the same story. Ashe's role in XII is mostly the same, if not even more important to stay out of her head so we can learn over time how much the Occuria are loving with her.

Basch, from what I recall, WAS the main character in early versions but they swapped him out for both plotline and audience appeal reasons to Vaan since he both fit the role the player viewpoint character needed to fit better, and FF is still as ever a series targeted primarily at Japanese teenagers. C'est la vie.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

Basch, from what I recall, WAS the main character in early versions but they swapped him out for both plotline and audience appeal reasons to Vaan since he both fit the role the player viewpoint character needed to fit better, and FF is still as ever a series targeted primarily at Japanese teenagers. C'est la vie.

IIRC it's not quite that simple. The original drafts of the story had a different PoV character who was older and more mature than Vaan and might've been similar to Ashley Riot from Vagrant Story, but ultimately that character was scrapped and some of his role (the PoV character, intro to the story part) was given to Vaan, while the other parts (older, mature, experienced fighter with a dark past) were given to Basch.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Vaan is the player character because Ashe would never run around the streets yelling I'm Basch fon Ronsenberg! Basch lives!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s amusing that even Balthier is confused as who the main character is.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Is Final Fantasy VIII good or bad

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

zakharov posted:

Yep.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

zakharov posted:

It depends, how do you feel about orphanages?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

zakharov posted:

Once it undergoes quality compression it's both good and bad simultaneously.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Balthier is not confused about who the main character is. It’s him. And also Ashe/Basch/Vaan.

Truthfully with the exception of Fran and Penelo, they’re all the main character of the story they just aren’t doing things for the same reason. It’s very Baldur’s Gate in that sense, I guess.

Ashe wants to kick out the imperials and be a good queen to her people, and is willing to do anything in service of that goal including defy space aliens/gods. She is the actual protagonist because without her poo poo, they’re just raiding caves looking for loot.

Vaan wants to go on an adventure, any adventure, and be a sky pirate which is the most open-ended and accessible perspective which is what SE was going for. He’ll do whatever and is young and dumb, everyone else has Reasons For Doing Things.

Balthier the sky pirate wants to get rich and powerful and being close to the queen is a good way to do that (also they want to be free to be sky pirates so they hate the empire). Balthier the defector wants to set things right with his family name (and daddy issues), which aligns his goals squarely with Ashe.

Basch wants to be a good knight to his liegelord (and along the same vein get revenge), and as a consequence is set at odds with his brother. Since Ashe is his new boss, he is 100% on her team. Basch is FF4’s Cecil, if the king of baron didn’t go crazy.

Each of the 4 (except Vaan, kinda) have their own compelling reasons to defeat Vayne and stop the Empire. They’re all working together, but they don’t really have a unified purpose— once Vayne is defeated and the Empire is stopped they all instantly split up.

Fran is Balthier’s mystical and cool girlfriend.

Penelo is Vaan’s boring girlfriend.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

zakharov posted:

Final Fantasy VIII's biggest issue is that it's right between 2 very good FF games.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

zakharov posted:

a question we have been asking ourselves since 1998

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cardboard Fox posted:

Final Fantasy VIII's biggest issue is that it's right between 2 very good FF games.

Same issue as FF7 and FF9

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

zakharov posted:

https://twitter.com/rooneymcnibnug/status/1407723367638130691

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barudak posted:

FF12 is not a very good game, but its not the worst Final Fantasy, which we all agree is Final Fantasy Tactics

I didn't know revenantkioku had an account here. :raise:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I just wish Ashe didn’t have those awful pants.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ManSedan posted:

I just wish Ashe didn’t have those awful pants.

What pants

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Every monk should have a dolphin based attack

Also
https://twitter.com/cataerith/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Every monk should have a dolphin based attack

Also
https://twitter.com/cataerith/statu...ingawful.com%2F

I bet things would've gone different in FF7 if Aeris had a gun.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m picturing a TFR goon shout to cloud when he lets her dead body float away into that water “this wouldn’t have happened if she had a gun”

Barrett has a gun surgically attached to his arm and you know how many times he dies? Zero. And he becomes an oil baron!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

jokes posted:

Basch is FF4’s Cecil, if the king of baron didn’t go crazy.

The king of baron stuff is really weird and I'm sure gets fleshed out more in the ds remake but uh....
So the real king of baron gets beaten up(killed?) and Cagnazzo shapeshifts into him while also I guess promising Baigan sweet power if you turn into a weirdo snake arm man?

Also the (dead?) King of baron is also...Odin???

But even before this the real king of baron commissions a fleet of airships, but Cid says that they're now being used for war where as before they were used for...? Travel?

It's just a weird plot point that even as a kid made me go "huh?".

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Leal posted:

I bet things would've gone different in FF7 if Aeris had a gun.

This is why the remake is so different, she has been packing the entire time.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

PneumonicBook posted:

The king of baron stuff is really weird and I'm sure gets fleshed out more in the ds remake but uh....
So the real king of baron gets beaten up(killed?) and Cagnazzo shapeshifts into him while also I guess promising Baigan sweet power if you turn into a weirdo snake arm man?

But even before this the real king of baron commissions a fleet of airships, but Cid says that they're now being used for war where as before they were used for...? Travel?

The king of baron was a good dude, and Cecil decided to do dark knight poo poo on his behalf as a consequence, knowing the costs (and also he felt out of place and Baron/the King took him in). Then at some point the king of Baron was either killed/replaced or mind controlled (and then killed/replaced). The details probably are not important, because the idea is that The Bad Guys turned his homeland into Also The Bad Guys and he didn’t do anything to stop it, and just kept doing whatever he was told to do. That’s the source of his guilt— he knew what he was doing was wrong and went through with it anyways.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

I mean, I can at least buy that there were always monsters to kill even if iirc Zemus exerting his will made them more prevalent, and some of them fly so you’d want a ship fleet to handle the giant birds.

And I think the king just reincarnates into a Norse god because he’s cool like that, Hiryu in V turns into a phoenix so I guess it’s just a thing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

correct

quote:

he, like, dies and in death is granted an eidolon form because the real king was a cool guy

quote:

the kingdom of baron was already a militaristic nation (having Cecil train as a dark knight, a dragoon corps, fledgling magic corps) but they weren't actively pillaging other nations until cagnazzo's usurpation

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hiryu becomes Phoenix and Syldra becomes a summon, too.

What the gently caress was Syldra? Are there more of them out there? Is she related to Leviathan?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

does anyone have that site with all the FF4 background stuff that didn't make it into the game

the world is extremely fleshed out, it's just that there was nowhere near enough room in the script to include it all

like, Mysidia is the home of a great conflict where people abused the power of light and dark in their magicks and all of their strongest stuff was sealed away after a cataclysm stemming from their unchecked power. where is that in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

jokes posted:

Hiryu becomes Phoenix and Syldra becomes a summon, too.

What the gently caress was Syldra? Are there more of them out there? Is she related to Leviathan?

Syldra was... A true friend