Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I apologize for being pointlessly snippy there. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
le peauxe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I apologize for being pointlessly snippy there. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

Pas de worrieaux mon ami

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Carthag Tuek posted:

Pas de worrieaux mon ami

ça fait rein

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I'm now halfway through Knausgaard's latest and am enjoying it a lot. Although I have the distinct feeling it's going nowhere. That is the pleasure which will continue.

My only complaint is there are a good handful of characters and all are given first person perspective chapters and they all sound quite similar to one another which has made it somewhat difficult to keep track of who's who.

But as more unfolds and the characters become more intertwined I can't help but hope it does go somewhere. But Knausgaard's eye for the mundanity of human life is quite charming. I'm gonna have to give the Min Kamp series a go after this because the best parts of The Morning Star have been characters grappling with huge philosophical questions while waiting for someone to finish being sick in the pub bathroom or after an uneventful trip to the grocery store.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

there was a norwegian critic and prof. of literature that lauded his attempt at the project – writing something that is pure fiction – but noted that Knausgård seemed incapable of going past the style of autofiction found in My Struggle

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Thinking of reading Little Dorrit in honor of my new username. Yay or nay?

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
I hope this is the right place to ask. I'm looking for some recommendations for shorter works (200 pages or less). I just don't have the time to read how I used to. My taste isn't relevant as getting out of my comfort zone could only be a good thing. Just throw anything at me as long as it's brief enough to red over a couple of days and in English. Muchly appreciated.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter by César Aira, trans. Chris Andrews
The Stones Cry Out by Hikaru Okuizumi, trans. Jacques/James Westerhoven
Grief Is the Thing with Feather by Max Porter
Strange Hotel by Eimear McBride
Amongst Women by John McGahern
At Night All Blood is Black by David Diop, trans. Anna Moschovakis
Jokes for the Gunmen by Mazen Maarouf, trans. Jonathan Wright
Dubliners by James Joyce
Such Small Hands by Andrés Barba, trans. Lisa Dillman
Distant Light by Antonio Moresco, trans. Richard Dixon
A Whole Life by Robert Seethaler, trans. Charlotte Collins

The first eleven in sight of which I know they are strictly under 200 pages.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 17, 2021

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Hunger by Hamsun
Journey by moonlight by Antal Szerb
The year of death of Ricardo Reis by Josè Saramago
Mrs. Dalloway and To the lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

apophenium posted:

I'm now halfway through Knausgaard's latest and am enjoying it a lot. Although I have the distinct feeling it's going nowhere. That is the pleasure which will continue.

My only complaint is there are a good handful of characters and all are given first person perspective chapters and they all sound quite similar to one another which has made it somewhat difficult to keep track of who's who.

But as more unfolds and the characters become more intertwined I can't help but hope it does go somewhere. But Knausgaard's eye for the mundanity of human life is quite charming. I'm gonna have to give the Min Kamp series a go after this because the best parts of The Morning Star have been characters grappling with huge philosophical questions while waiting for someone to finish being sick in the pub bathroom or after an uneventful trip to the grocery store.

There's a great line from one of his friends in I think Book Two of My Struggle where he says something like Knausgaard could write twenty pages about a bathroom seem riveting. But yes, "eye for mundanity" is a good description. I more or less liked all six, esp. 2 and 5.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Docetic Mountain posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask. I'm looking for some recommendations for shorter works (200 pages or less). I just don't have the time to read how I used to. My taste isn't relevant as getting out of my comfort zone could only be a good thing. Just throw anything at me as long as it's brief enough to red over a couple of days and in English. Muchly appreciated.

Pedro Páramo by Juan Rolfo
Parade by Hiromi Kawakami
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky
The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
The Floating Opera & The End of the Road by John Barth (two short novels regularly printed together)
The Loser by Thomas Bernhard

The Georgics of Virgil, translated by David Ferry
Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

Steinbeck's got a handful of shorter novellas. George Saunders short story collections are must-reads.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Docetic Mountain posted:

"Baroque Concerto" by Alejo Carpentier

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille :angel:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

All of Cesar Aira's stuff is short

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Docetic Mountain posted:

Michel de Montaigne's collected essays are a surprisingly good - and often hilarious - read, even some 400 years of history and cultural change later, and are nicely bite-sized for your reading convenience.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Bolaño’s The Return is good. Short stories in a short format.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Half of Herman Hesse fits the bill. Siddhartha, Demian, Beneath the Wheel, Journey to the East.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
The sailor who fell from grace with the sea
the blind owl
on the natural history of destruction
the peregrine (slightly over 200 but read it drat you)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Docetic Mountain posted:

Signs Preceding the End of the World by Yuri Herrera

I think all Hererra's stuff is short.

The Moon is Down by Steinbeck

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you want to feel really smart just read large print books. Ipso facto

Serious response: We Have Always Lived in the Castle can be finished in an afternoon and is quite good

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Italo Calvino has a few great short books too, including two of my favorite of his, The Cloven Viscount and The Nonexistant Knight, which I think are often sold as a pair.

Plays are another good go to for something shorter. I've become a big fan of Sarah Ruhl and Annie Baker recently, and here's a bunch of other good ones:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Waiting for Godot
A Number by Caryl Churchill
Fairview by Jackie Sibblies Drury
Death of a Salesman
The Humans by Stephen Karam

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Italo Calvino has a few great short books too, including two of my favorite of his, The Cloven Viscount and The Nonexistant Knight, which I think are often sold as a pair.

Plays are another good go to for something shorter. I've become a big fan of Sarah Ruhl and Annie Baker recently, and here's a bunch of other good ones:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Waiting for Godot
A Number by Caryl Churchill
Fairview by Jackie Sibblies Drury
Death of a Salesman
The Humans by Stephen Karam

Yeah, plays are fun. I read Albee's The Goat, or Who Is Silvia? months ago and I still think about it all the time. I've also been enjoying Tracy Letts's plays lately, and I hope to read Miller's The Crucible before the end of the year.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Aura by Carlos Fuentes comes up often.

very quick read. also sad. made me think of the passage of time and vanishing loved ones. :)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

other great and short books

Sphinx by Anne Garreta
The royal game by Stefan Zweig
The class by Hermann Ungar
anything by Franz Kafka
Woodcutters, Concrete and The loser by Thomas Bernhard

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Signs Preceding the End of the World by Yuri Herrera

I love talking about that book. The descent into the underworld is one of the most memorable chapters ever. Make sure to read up on the ancient Mexica myths explored in the book. The entire book consists of adapted mythology.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Pretty much anything by Yasunari Kawabata or Kobo Abe.

Also, last call for Secret Santa sign-ups. I'll be matching people up at midnight CST.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Man, I remember Gaddis's JR being recommended through here and it's just...okay? I'm about three quarters through and while interesting conceptually it's a really long performance of one note.

People talking past each other, a cacophony of perspectives and people and pettiness and toxic men, I just wish it was edited down as you slog through yet another same-theme silliness.

Like yeah it has some funny moments but it feels stales both by the passage of time and by length.

But on the plus side, Soyinka's Nobel win means his first novel is no longer reference only at the library and I got a new addition just came in.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Segue posted:

But on the plus side, Soyinka's Nobel win means his first novel is no longer reference only at the library and I got a new addition just came in.

Have you been waiting since before 1986

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Segue posted:

Man, I remember Gaddis's JR being recommended through here and it's just...okay? I'm about three quarters through and while interesting conceptually it's a really long performance of one note.

People talking past each other, a cacophony of perspectives and people and pettiness and toxic men, I just wish it was edited down as you slog through yet another same-theme silliness.

Like yeah it has some funny moments but it feels stales both by the passage of time and by length.

this post is loving bewildering

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
As abandoned as Wall Street on a weekend https://twitter.com/of_forgetting/status/1461370289263153155?s=21

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

little to nothing to choose from:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
To be fair, almost all of those are from after the 500 year mark.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oh, yeah, i read that tweet wrong.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Context from the article:

quote:

That there have been a lot of translations of the Comedy can be seen by glancing at the Wikipedia page “English translations of Dante’s Divine Comedy.” It took nearly five hundred years from Dante’s death for there to be a translation of all three parts of the poem. The first was by Henry Boyd, soon followed by the blank verse translation of Henry Francis Cary, which had such a great influence on William Blake, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and other Romantic poets. Cary’s version was the first done in blank verse (unrhymed iambic pentameter), the method that America’s own Henry Wadsworth Longfellow also used. Many translators since Longfellow have done the same. It makes sense that blank verse has been the meter of choice for the Comedy in English. In capable hands it is a supple medium, which has the advantage of not forcing the translator to distort language and syntax for the sake of rhyme. Readers of Dante in English will have their own views as to whether there is a need to add to the many Dante translations available. I myself believe that we could get by for a while with what we already have – though a five-hundred-year hiatus might be overdoing it.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the timeline of the translating is not the important thing but just how batshit this particular translation is

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

I read a collection by Mary Jo Bang a while ago that I found pretty good as far as modern free verse goes, and I'm not very shocked by the artistic project behind her Divine Comedy, but publishing and promoting it as a straight translation is irresponsible and sensationalist at best

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It kicks rear end. I can't wait until this trend finally gives us a definitive English version of Eugene Onegin, with the piss tape and Amogus and everything else it needs to truly connect with the modern reader.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao at having to rely on English "translations" of Russian classics just lol but also laffo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
We're going to lay Arndt and Nabokov to rest is all I'm saying. It will be a time of healing.