Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhErFZrgcyU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I looked up relevant state and federal tax laws need on commission vs bonus and wow my boss is in trouble.

Anyway there's light at the end of the tunnel.

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

I looked up relevant state and federal tax laws need on commission vs bonus and wow my boss is in trouble.

Narc him out

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

gently caress 'em up IMHO

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy
so I work at home taking customer service calls now and at the end of day meeting (zoom meeting) one of the women on my team mentioned that a customer had asked her if she was working from home, and when she said yes, he said "oh I know, I've been watching you the whole time" and she sort of just laughed it off and continued the call as if he hadn't said that

of course, this being the society it is, it seems like she felt obligated to just sort of "go with it" and just ignore it and finish the call and then later not make a big deal out of it, but bless em, our managers heard this and flipped their poo poo
pulled the call, pulled the guy's info and from the context it sounded like they're gonna close this guy's account etc over it

I can't get out of :wtf: mode because like, :wtf:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

empty whippet box posted:

so I work at home taking customer service calls now and at the end of day meeting (zoom meeting) one of the women on my team mentioned that a customer had asked her if she was working from home, and when she said yes, he said "oh I know, I've been watching you the whole time" and she sort of just laughed it off and continued the call as if he hadn't said that

of course, this being the society it is, it seems like she felt obligated to just sort of "go with it" and just ignore it and finish the call and then later not make a big deal out of it, but bless em, our managers heard this and flipped their poo poo
pulled the call, pulled the guy's info and from the context it sounded like they're gonna close this guy's account etc over it

Holy gently caress :wtc:

Like, was he just, like, sitting out there looking at her through a window? Watching her through a fuckin remote viewer? What the hell??? I dislike humanity more every day.

I'm glad you're working at a place that is willing to take that step to protect workers. gently caress that dude.

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy

Mormon Nailer posted:

Holy gently caress :wtc:

Like, was he just, like, sitting out there looking at her through a window? Watching her through a fuckin remote viewer? What the hell??? I dislike humanity more every day.

I'm glad you're working at a place that is willing to take that step to protect workers. gently caress that dude.

I think it was an already bad joke gone terribly wrong??

----------------

Escape From Noise

"It's just a prank, bro!" JFC

Escape From Noise

Talked with my cousin today for like 2 hours and about the stuff she's going through looking for a job. She left her last job when it became apparent that the owner of the law firm she was working at at the time was laundering money for people. She told me some other stuff and it was like mind blowing. Her boss was one of those old people who insists on getting e-mails and stuff printed out, which is dumb but whatever. The guy would try to click any hyperlinks ON THE PHYSICAL PRINTED PIECES OF PAPER!!! He would sit there slamming his hand onto the hyperlink on the piece of paper and would start going loving crazy because it didn't do anything. At one point he was screaming about being a Roman god and demanding the link open. He did this all the time, apparently and my cousin would cut out any hyperlinks before printing because he would not and could not understand. I'm still thinking about this. That's absolutely insane.

She also got a job offer where the people offering her the job are probably an MLM because they were talking about "downstreaming" and stuff. They also were trying to get her to sign a contract before she could see it. She asked for a copy so she could review it and they said that wouldn't be available until she signed. Also if she signed the employment contract and didn't take it she'd owe them money. The also wanted her to sign an NDA...for a sales position. They're texting her nonstop after she asked for some time to think about it and review the contracts and stuff. I guess they also yelled at her at one point because she "lied" about having a college degree (she has one but there was some issue with paperwork but she provided a letter and explanation from her college). She told me she was already thinking she wasn't going to take it but her parents are really pressuring her to take it. It looks like she has another much better job lined up, but here's to hoping.

Talking to her about this I was impressed at how on it she was in spotting issues and things she did in order to get extra pay for extra work, etc. She's not a pushover, when I probably would have been at that age.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

cruft

Escape From Noise posted:

The guy would try to click any hyperlinks ON THE PHYSICAL PRINTED PIECES OF PAPER!!! He would sit there slamming his hand onto the hyperlink on the piece of paper and would start going loving crazy because it didn't do anything.

That is really a thing.

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

That is really a thing.

When she was telling me about it at first I was like "Surely I misunderstood that. There's no way anyone thinks you can activate links on a printed document." I'm still thinking about it.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I think that's one of those things, like the elder gods, where your mind cannot rationalize that concept for fear of going insane.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Talked with my cousin today for like 2 hours and about the stuff she's going through looking for a job. She left her last job when it became apparent that the owner of the law firm she was working at at the time was laundering money for people. She told me some other stuff and it was like mind blowing. Her boss was one of those old people who insists on getting e-mails and stuff printed out, which is dumb but whatever. The guy would try to click any hyperlinks ON THE PHYSICAL PRINTED PIECES OF PAPER!!! He would sit there slamming his hand onto the hyperlink on the piece of paper and would start going loving crazy because it didn't do anything. At one point he was screaming about being a Roman god and demanding the link open. He did this all the time, apparently and my cousin would cut out any hyperlinks before printing because he would not and could not understand. I'm still thinking about this. That's absolutely insane.

She also got a job offer where the people offering her the job are probably an MLM because they were talking about "downstreaming" and stuff. They also were trying to get her to sign a contract before she could see it. She asked for a copy so she could review it and they said that wouldn't be available until she signed. Also if she signed the employment contract and didn't take it she'd owe them money. The also wanted her to sign an NDA...for a sales position. They're texting her nonstop after she asked for some time to think about it and review the contracts and stuff. I guess they also yelled at her at one point because she "lied" about having a college degree (she has one but there was some issue with paperwork but she provided a letter and explanation from her college). She told me she was already thinking she wasn't going to take it but her parents are really pressuring her to take it. It looks like she has another much better job lined up, but here's to hoping.

Talking to her about this I was impressed at how on it she was in spotting issues and things she did in order to get extra pay for extra work, etc. She's not a pushover, when I probably would have been at that age.

"I need you to sign this contract but you are not allowed to read the contract until after you have signed it" is a red flag the size of a small galaxy (the astronomical object, not the vehicle or chocolate bar)

If anyone actually said that to me I would be torn between laughing at them until they leave, or saying "sure but I need you to sign this contract first also you can't read it until you've signed it"

cruft

When she was telling me about it at first I was like "Surely I misunderstood that. There's no way anyone thinks you can activate links on a printed document." I'm still thinking about it.

I appear to have rationalized this as the dude being a jerk, and this was some misguided attempt to drive home how angry he was that computers exist. Like, I asked for you to PRINT OUT THE INFORMATION, and clearly I can't click on this piece of paper. I will demonstrate this now, to drive home the point.

This rationalization helps me feel better about the world so please don't rattle my fragile house of cards, TIA.

Farecoal

There he go

Mormon Nailer posted:

I closed $3.61m today. $15.913m for the week.

gently caress a job.

drat when are you retiring :ussr:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Farecoal posted:

drat when are you retiring :ussr:

Lmao do you think I get paid commission because I do not

I make very slightly more money per year than a fast food worker and I'm not kidding in the least about this, I could legitimately make more money working at White Castle now and if I was not physically repulsed by their food I would quit and walk into a job there since it's walking distance from my house

Farecoal

There he go

Mormon Nailer posted:

Lmao do you think I get paid commission because I do not

I know, it was a joke because you are not being payed for the value of your labor (I would have used a Karl Marx smiley if we had one)

xcheopis

The data issues page for this particular contractor is an abottoir of xcheopis being absolutely DONE with their incompetence and so all the notes are in red, bold, and 14pt font. I'm so pissed off about this; we've told them over and over and over to just. follow. the. given. instructions. gently caress. Every loving month!

It took me screaming for over two years that $99,999.00 is a wildly inaccurate monthly income for a homeless person (insert "Cost of Living in the SF Bay Area" joke here) and it has just now been fixed.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

"I'm gonna take this one, it's too confusing for your brain."

Anyway he lost the customer about ten minutes in because he's a big rear end in a top hat.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mormon Nailer posted:

Anyway he lost the customer about ten minutes in because he's a big rear end in a top hat.

How you haven't kicked this mans rear end in the parking lot I will never know.

cruft

Zil posted:

It's because she kicks his rear end at sales every day.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zil posted:

He hasn't told me things are sandwiches yet.

Also I'm just waiting. I'm like the cockroach. I may nuke this place from orbit then crawl around headless and mostly liquefied for the rest of eternity.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Ah the joys of sitting in on a conference call just to listen to my coworker who actually understands this nonsense explain everything to the client. My entire role here is to make encouraging noises and passively assert my authority and support as her nominal supervisor.
Accounting is rough, y'all.

cruft

Oh hi work thread.

I just got off a conversation with a significant percentage of our financial department, and the client (a Very Large Institution with an annual budget in excess of $5 billion) who pays us to do work, during which everybody tried to explain to the financial office how dumb an idea it was to amortize invoicing the client for an annual software license we've already paid in full.

During the call, the client pointed out that we've decided to become a bank. This was a poignant insight. During the next call (the financial people were like, derp, pointing fingers at each other) I'm going to ask what our APR is for the line of credit we've extended to the Very Large Client against their will, and what our plan is for sending the Very Large Client to collections if they're unable to pay us on the ridiculous schedule we're insisting on.

I wonder if we could hire Dog the Bounty Hunter to collect.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Tale as old as time...

idiotsavant

A friend just had some subcontractors in his building skeeze out a security guard “oh you’re too pretty to be a security guard, are you a model?” asking for phone number etc. Now there are 5 different corporate entities involved thanks to the magic of managed risk & zero-tolerance harassment. Plus each one is trying to come down harder than the last cause no one wants to look too weak wrt sexual harassment, rest in piss to two dumbasses who can’t just do their dumb job lol

Escape From Noise

NumptyScrub posted:

"I need you to sign this contract but you are not allowed to read the contract until after you have signed it" is a red flag the size of a small galaxy (the astronomical object, not the vehicle or chocolate bar)

If anyone actually said that to me I would be torn between laughing at them until they leave, or saying "sure but I need you to sign this contract first also you can't read it until you've signed it"

Oh yeah, absolutely. The more she told me about her interactions with this company, the more I was like "RUN!". In her defense, I think she knew it was bad, but her parents have been pressuring her to take any jobs b she's offered, even this job specifically even after she'd explained all of the crazy poo poo they were pulling, so she felt a little pressured. Fortunately, she got a much better job offer.

cruft posted:

I appear to have rationalized this as the dude being a jerk, and this was some misguided attempt to drive home how angry he was that computers exist. Like, I asked for you to PRINT OUT THE INFORMATION, and clearly I can't click on this piece of paper. I will demonstrate this now, to drive home the point.

This rationalization helps me feel better about the world so please don't rattle my fragile house of cards, TIA.

Apparently, this guy's reaction to his printer running out of paper or ink was to flip out that it wasn't printing, leading to him chucking his printer out of the window of his second floor office. He did this several times. My cousin had to set up an email alert that automatically forwarded to her when either was about to happen so she could refill paper or ink. One time he was having his "hyperlink troubles" or something I called my cousin at 3:00 in the morning for help but she was asleep like a normal person, so he called tech support. When she came to work the next day the tech support called to tell them that if there was ever another issue that their boss was not allowed to call them. Someone else in the office could, but not the boss.

Escape From Noise

idiotsavant posted:

A friend just had some subcontractors in his building skeeze out a security guard “oh you’re too pretty to be a security guard, are you a model?” asking for phone number etc. Now there are 5 different corporate entities involved thanks to the magic of managed risk & zero-tolerance harassment. Plus each one is trying to come down harder than the last cause no one wants to look too weak wrt sexual harassment, rest in piss to two dumbasses who can’t just do their dumb job lol

When's their appearance on The Joe Rogan Experience scheduled for?

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy
truly amazing how many people don't seem to realize that being a sex pest on company time is a bad idea, or that maybe you shouldn't sexually harass your credit card company

----------------

Escape From Noise

I'm loving dumb as hell but some people are even dumber.

cruft

idiotsavant posted:

rest in piss to two dumbasses who can’t just do their dumb job

I'm cruft and I approve of this reaction.

Apparently, this guy's reaction to his printer running out of paper or ink

drat it, EFN, what did I tell you about my fragile house of cards world view?

cruft

I'm loving dumb as hell but some people are even dumber.

Paging Empty Whippet Box. The world needs buttons with this printed on em.

Escape From Noise

I have so little to do at work I'm going to start looking into what I need to do to start a consulting business on the side. Visa permission may be the harder part.

idiotsavant

truly amazing how many people don't seem to realize that being a sex pest on company time is a bad idea, or that maybe you shouldn't sexually harass your credit card company

i mean, you don't have to be a weird robot and turn your brain off when it's going "hubba hubba hubba what a hot person daaaaang" but you do have to treat them with professional courtesy which is apparently infinitely difficult for some

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy

cruft posted:

Paging Empty Whippet Box. The world needs buttons with this printed on em.

hell ya i can put a minion on that poo poo and everything

----------------

Escape From Noise

My former coworker found a job back in Tokyo and will get to escape that awful loving company and get better pay! I'm so loving happy for him! :toot:

xcheopis

My former coworker found a job back in Tokyo and will get to escape that awful loving company and get better pay! I'm so loving happy for him! :toot:

Hell yeah!

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
My boss keeps moving my performance review. The day doesn't change but the hours do!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy
I will come up with excuses for why I needed so much coffee later. right now, there is only coffee, and I will drink it

----------------