Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Wolk was also on X-Plain The X-Men and it was a really good interview. I haven't read the book yet but it's on my list and I'm really looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Forgot to mention that Marvel doesn't just highlight left wing political views - I think a read of Ultimate X-Men as an anticipation and then response to the Bush era imperial state would be interesting and there's definitely fertile ground there in a paramilitary team that performs violent non-state acts. It'd also be interesting to chart the Punisher as a character and how he embodies different creators' thoughts on vigilantism and the meaning of justice. Zdarsky's use of him in Daredevil was a particular recent highlight for me and stands in sharp relief to how the character is interpreted in the broader culture.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Regarding this week's Hellions: having the team willingly assemble again to confront Orphan Killer is pretty narratively satisfying. I think Wells has done a lot with taking C List characters and making me invested in them, even managing to introduce an interesting new villain in Tarn. If it's ending soon, I think it stands as one of the best completed runs from the Krakoa era.

I like Excalibur because I like the contrast between modern Britain and its mythological self. I think Once and Future pulls this off a little better but I also appreciate the mutant as metaphor for the immigrant exiled from Britain. I do think Gambit is underutilized in it but it's also highlighted some characters like Rictor and Kwannon who haven't gotten the love Gambit has throughout X books

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Excalibur has hit a bit of a stride now compared to where it was, but it does still feel like a page is missing every issue that explains why people are doing the things they do.

X-Corp felt like it was missing 5 of those pages.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I really did not like Excalibur when the Krakoan era started, but reading it in trade really made the pacing and plotting click for me. I think Tini Howard writes in kind of a stylized, heightened way that can come off as stilted, but with all the magical stuff and exploration of "mutant mythos" going on in Excal it works for me.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm several issues behind but it seemed like Excalibur post-X of Swords was a much better book. Still not great but enough to keep me onboard.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the Rogue for Shatterstar trade helped. He works a lot better for the book.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
X-Men #8 looks interesting...

Some megalomaniacal Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing action!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

X-Men #8 looks interesting...

Some megalomaniacal Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing action!

Jean Grey sure looks weird without her mask on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Before Xavier's, kids in school always said she was bigheaded

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

You’re telling me... Wiz-Kid was a triple agent?!

...most fuckin’ telegraphed thing..

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My line of thinking stops at double so it got me real good. But I am only half invested in sword currently.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Yeah personally it just feels lazy to me. I have next to no idea who Wiz Kid is or what his deal is, and the small possibility of him betraying Krakoa made me at least a bit interested in him. But nah his role is to be a pipeline of information on whatever Orchis is up to and nothing more. Maybe a character beat or two down the line.

Now with Hickman almost gone I just feel that my interest in the X-men line is gradually flatlining. X-Men and SWORD are fine but very unremarkable. There's a small plotline in New Mutants that I'm interested in how they resolve. It's impossible for me to recall what's going on in Marauders. Hellions is amusing. The rest is just meh at best.

The only upcoming thing that I'm somewhat interested in is SI Spurrier's Legionaries.

Njashi9 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 18, 2021

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
X-Force....oh boy where to start? Logan's Adamantium razor-sharp (why) surfboard (also contains balsa which is why it doesn't sink like...well...a huge piece of metal?). Is Logan surfing something that tracks for his character?

And what the hell is Krakoa/Cypher/Sage/Black Tom Cassidy doing about security on the he island?! How many times has it been infiltrated so far? And no one notices a bunch of babies being kidnapped?!

Poor Kid Omega...

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

X-Force....oh boy where to start? Logan's Adamantium razor-sharp (why) surfboard (also contains balsa which is why it doesn't sink like...well...a huge piece of metal?). Is Logan surfing something that tracks for his character?

And what the hell is Krakoa/Cypher/Sage/Black Tom Cassidy doing about security on the he island?! How many times has it been infiltrated so far? And no one notices a bunch of babies being kidnapped?!

Poor Kid Omega...

With regards to: Wolverine surfing? I don't think its something he's done, but it seems like something he would do. A combination of risk and vafue spirituality expressed through physical accumen? Tracks.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
At this point I regret ever enjoying Jason Aaron comics at all, but I do remember him specifically going on at length about Wolverine being paranoid about drowning, which puts the surfing thing in a weird light

Granted ressurection protocols make it a moot point, but still, seems weird to me that someone who can't swim would enjoy surfing. Either that or the adamantium that Proteus has been whipping up for him is somehow both super light and unbreakable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Force is just a bad comic. I want someone else to write it.

SWORD was good, but the twist was obvious. It does give us much needed time with Wiz Kid though. So as a story shot getting into his mind, it works.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get the point of X-Force. Wolverine already has a solo comic right now. It's not like we're getting monthly deep dives into what animates Domino and Quentin.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm just reading in the hopes my "molten planet core compressing" honey pops up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Poor Kid Omega...

As far as security, one of the text pieces explicitly notes that the tidal patterns of the beach they were surfing on are too extreme for their security measures.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

At this point I regret ever enjoying Jason Aaron comics at all, but I do remember him specifically going on at length about Wolverine being paranoid about drowning, which puts the surfing thing in a weird light

What did Aaron do?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Endless Mike posted:

As far as security, one of the text pieces explicitly notes that the tidal patterns of the beach they were surfing on are too extreme for their security measures.

Seems like bad security to have a giant blind in your security forces, to be aware of it, and to just kinda gently caress it off until next month or whatever. Especially when they seem to be invaded every few weeks. Resurrection protocols making everyone lazy.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dawgstar posted:

What did Aaron do?

He's not a scumbag, as far as I know, but his Avengers run makes his Thor run look like Shakespeare, and I didn't even like his Thor run

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Seems like bad security to have a giant blind in your security forces, to be aware of it, and to just kinda gently caress it off until next month or whatever. Especially when they seem to be invaded every few weeks. Resurrection protocols making everyone lazy.

Yeah, it also notes Black Tom is working with Sage and Cypher to get it patched. Why it's taken months is a very good question though!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Wolverine having a weaponized, Adamantium surfboard is incredibly stupid in a way I cannot help be delighted by. I agree that Logan has his own book for him to be in focus on though. I like the Quire/Phoebe stuff at least. SWORD ruled rear end, Wiz-Kid owns (admittedly, my Wiz-Kid loves comes largely from Jay and Miles' coverage but still he's a cool character) and the last page was rad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rantmo posted:

Wolverine having a weaponized, Adamantium surfboard is incredibly stupid in a way I cannot help be delighted by. I agree that Logan has his own book for him to be in focus on though. I like the Quire/Phoebe stuff at least. SWORD ruled rear end, Wiz-Kid owns (admittedly, my Wiz-Kid loves comes largely from Jay and Miles' coverage but still he's a cool character) and the last page was rad.

I like Logan being on the X-Force, because you can't have a book like that and not have him on it, but he shouldn't be the focus of it and they do that way too much

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

rantmo posted:

I was reading up on Wiz-Kid mostly to figure out how he has acquired dyslexia (which is extremely rare) and came across this gem:

quote:

Discovering that the three mutants were too old for his purposes, N'astirh ordered them killed. Takeshi was able to save their lives only by displaying his mutant technoforming ability. N'astirh then ordered him to create a supercomputer which would allow him to cast several spells at once, layering his magic. This computer increased N'astirh's power exponentially, allowing him to open a portal between Limbo and Earth more quickly, accelerating the speed at which Limbo's inhabitants could spill out.

Computers!

I wasn't able to figure out how he ended up with dyslexia.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I assumed it was basically like.. he has spent so much time intuiting with computers that written language is a bit too obtuse for him?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I like Logan being on the X-Force, because you can't have a book like that and not have him on it, but he shouldn't be the focus of it and they do that way too much

Agreed completely.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

OnimaruXLR posted:

He's not a scumbag, as far as I know, but his Avengers run makes his Thor run look like Shakespeare, and I didn't even like his Thor run

Well I'm glad someone else doesn't like it, because I just figured I was a Phoenix stan an hate the way that Bendis and Aaron write it, but his Avengers has been bad to me to the point that yeah, I questioned if I ever like anything he did at all.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

As far as I see, Jason Aaron had done great work with Scalper and Punisher MAX, and then had a rather fun run with Wolverine and the X-Men, and at some point after that the quality started dropping off a cliff, at first slowly, but then speeding up. With a non-stop drop, gravity doing its thing fall, any affection towards Aaron's work has long gone cold. It's weird.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I was reading his Avenger's run for a while, but dropped it after the Phoenix Tournament, mainly because of his baffling decision to tweak Thor's parentage. Did anything ever come of that? Is Phoenix Song: Echo good at least?

I feel like Aaron has come up with a lot of really fun ideas for his Avenger's run, but the execution has been middling to bad, at least of what I read.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

glitchwraith posted:

I was reading his Avenger's run for a while, but dropped it after the Phoenix Tournament, mainly because of his baffling decision to tweak Thor's parentage. Did anything ever come of that? Is Phoenix Song: Echo good at least?

I feel like Aaron has come up with a lot of really fun ideas for his Avenger's run, but the execution has been middling to bad, at least of what I read.

A lot of his ideas read to me as really high concept changes to the Marvel universe without any exploration of the ramifications. I think you can make changes like that to characters and the Marvel cosmology but without exploring the depths of those changes it just reads like a kid smashing their action figures together.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Cloks posted:

A lot of his ideas read to me as really high concept changes to the Marvel universe without any exploration of the ramifications. I think you can make changes like that to characters and the Marvel cosmology but without exploring the depths of those changes it just reads like a kid smashing their action figures together.

Agreed. And honestly, smashing toys together can lead to some entertaining stories, in my humble opinion, but it doesn't really mix well with the high concept parts you mention. Or at least, doesn't in this run.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

glitchwraith posted:

Agreed. And honestly, smashing toys together can lead to some entertaining stories, in my humble opinion, but it doesn't really mix well with the high concept parts you mention. Or at least, doesn't in this run.

Kids smashing toys together rules! The best writers are the ones who can take out every toy in the box and make it all fun; I just read the Infinity Gauntlet and it's awesome because it's so much goofy fighting for the reader's benefit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

OG Inferno is the absolute best X-Men crossover and even the 80s-interpretation-of-80s-kids aspect of X-Terminators rules rear end. The only problems with that book is the title (which... I still don't understand) and that it was a separate miniseries that doesn't actually resolve anything in the series (the story ends in New Mutants).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't care for most of Aaron's stuff because some of it comes across mean spirited and I feel like he has a habit of trying to be edgy and a lot of his characters don't act like themselves, but they act like Jason Aaron characters pretending to be other people. Haven't cared for much of his Avengers run. I think overall his run on Thor was really good though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't care for most of Aaron's stuff because some of it comes across mean spirited and I feel like he has a habit of trying to be edgy

I think his Thor run is second only to Simonson's, and while it starts pretty dark (and really metal and really good), the entire Jane run is pretty upbeat despite dealing with some heavy personal poo poo. That's maybe in part to Dauterman-Wilson's beautiful work.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Thinking out loud about it, Aaron's run on Avengers is representative of two big problems in modern Marvel comics: he's clearly saving all his really good ideas for creator-owned work, because that's absolutely the smart thing to do under the circumstances, and Marvel as it stands is very light on decent plug-and-play villains, particularly at the widescreen scale that Aaron's Avengers operates on.

Most of the big names in the Marvel writers' stable are navigating this situation through continuity deep dives, where they dust off years- or decades-old characters and villains and go to town. Even Tini Howard's gotten a piece of this action, with the recent resurrection of Betsy's psychic friends from Alan Moore's Captain Britain arc. Ewing's Immortal Hulk is almost as much a rolling travelogue through the character's history as it is a story about Bruce.

Aaron seems less inclined to go down that road and would rather make up his own stuff, but many of the big villains at Marvel are already spoken for, the ones that aren't are no match for his Avengers lineup, and he's clearly reluctant to create characters for the Avengers to fight. Outside of a few decent arcs like War of the Realms or the opening Avengers vs. Celestials storyline, his stories have been about contrived excuses for hero-on-hero brawls (the Phoenix tournament arc, the Ghost Rider racing arc, Heroes Reborn, World War She-Hulk) or put the Avengers up surprisingly generic threats (the whole vampire thing).

As such, Aaron's version of the continuity deep dive seems to be taking Marvel apart like they're Lego men and slapping them back together in weird new shapes. Sometimes it's a dark future arc ("Tomorrow Dies Today" in his Weapon X) or it's some random idea that was seemingly conceived out to be as metal as possible (the Avengers of 1,000,000 B.C., which are always drawn posing like they're already painted on the side of a panel van).

It worked well for his Thor, and for War of the Realms, but overall, Aaron seems to have run low on gas in the tank by the time he got to Avengers. It's an entertaining read, but I rarely remember what happened in it an hour later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Remember a few years ago when one of Marvel's marketing banner thing was Age of Heroes or something and the whole thing was that the dark Bendis stuff was over and it would be fun stories about Superheroes Superheroing? Aaron's Avengers is what those books should have been.

But yeah it definitely doesn't always land and I quit reading during the Phoenix thing.