Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I'm not looking forward to all the pomp and coverage around Charles' coronation and accession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jedit posted:

The thing with "never interrupt your enemy while he's making a mistake" is that it doesn't work if you don't capitalise on the mistake and instead allow him to continue making mistakes unopposed. Which is the Labour strategy: "do nothing to show that we give a gently caress about the mistakes the Tories are making, we don't need to because it's our turn".

But you can criticize everything the Tories are doing wrong while avoiding presenting an alternative plan that would get you criticized in turn, drawing fire away from the Tories. I wasn't really trying to say how successful Labour are doing this, one way or the other.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Doing this now aged 41. I switched careers twice before, aged 31 and aged 38. Both times worked out well for me but, and this is a huge qualifier, if you do this you end up like me eventually HAVING to work for yourself and find customers/clients for whatever you’re good at because no fucker will employ you any more if you don’t come down the conveyor belt neatly wrapped in a bow.

That said I cannot overemphasise how terrifying it is to not have an income. It took me about six weeks to get my first real independent gig and it was pure misery. Being out the other side gives you a lot of self-confidence but unless you have your client base lined up in advance it’s going to be very painful to get there.

My bold underlined bits.

This is SO true. Employers (and especially those using AI to sift applications) just cannot cope with people whose career paths aren't a linear steady increase in salary and 'more of the same but a bit more responsibility'.

Being a freelancer for over 14 years and having many bitty jobs on the go lasting anything from 1 day to a year part-time, and covering a huge range of skill sets, my cv was a mess until I presented them on my cv as individual projects under a Jaeluni's Freelance Company as my employment title.

One thing you need to look out for is references going forward. I discovered - only by applying for this job I have now and getting feedback from the person who is now my boss - two of the national organisations I worked for covering about 20 years of my working life will not give references for anyone who left the organisations more than 5 or 6 years ago which came as a shock to me as it was the first time anyone had informed me of that, I was using the contact details for references the organisations had given me, not knowing that since 2004 in the one case and 2011 in the other case they were refusing to give references as I had been gone too long and my files had been got rid of under data protection or some such excuse!

Many of the people I used to work with are retired or dead or reorganised who knows where. Fortunately, my local CLP chair gave me a decent 'comment on my work' reference as I had held various positions in the party and done adminy stuff and someone I used to work with at one of the big companies (she actually reported to me!) who is on my FB gave the second reference!

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
When the EU referendum was announced back in early 2016, the Irish government assembled committees to work out what it would mean for them if the UK left. When the result came in, they already had an understanding of the problems wih the border, trade, peace etc. The UK, on the other hand, had done no prep at all. Even if our government had put the effort in at that point, we would still have been months behind everyone else and rushing to play catch-up.

May was also the one who began the war cry 'No Deal is better than a Bad Deal'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm choosing to interpret it as "there's no deal better than a bad deal"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Lady Demelza posted:

When the EU referendum was announced back in early 2016, the Irish government assembled committees to work out what it would mean for them if the UK left. When the result came in, they already had an understanding of the problems wih the border, trade, peace etc. The UK, on the other hand, had done no prep at all. Even if our government had put the effort in at that point, we would still have been months behind everyone else and rushing to play catch-up.

May was also the one who began the war cry 'No Deal is better than a Bad Deal'.

It was started out weirdly by Pigman calling a referendum where he supported the status quo. Meaning that he didn't make any plans because he didn't want to Brexit, and anything the Leave campaign said didn't count because they weren't in government.

He did this twice before of course, with AV and Scottish independence, and got away with it. And I guess instructing the civil service to prepare would have been an admission that leaving the EU was a possibility.

And now 5 years later I just paid €7 to pick up an item from the UK worth £15 :sigh:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ravel posted:

I'm not looking forward to all the pomp and coverage around Charles' coronation and accession.

It'll be kind of cool to have a new face on the coins I guess for about three minutes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm hoping that'll be enough to cause a sense of unease about the whole thing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

SixFigureSandwich posted:

she might then get eaten by predators

I think she's a bit old for Andrew

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Brand-new shiny UKMT-adjacent pod just dropped. I finally got to do the UK farming episode I've wanted to do for a while; it's going the same way as the fishing industry. So, good news!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1461381849612263424?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

16 years to the day since Ireland's most cantankerous sports pundit put Rod Liddle into an early grave for criticising Roy Keane

https://twitter.com/SportsJOEdotie/status/1461279575611170823?t=7LpLggLUM03lNFAhS5G1JQ&s=19

I love Eamon, he's mental. Good ol' Keano, wonderful man who stands up to bullies like...Alf Inge Haaland?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I love Eamon, he's mental. Good ol' Keano, wonderful man who stands up to bullies like...Alf Inge Haaland?

Not to be too much of an apologist for my fellow Corkman, but I feel that whole thing is a bit.misconstrued. Keane def would have been happy with the outcome either way tho

https://www.goal.com/en-ie/amp/news...d8fObvL&ampcf=1

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

And now 5 years later I just paid €7 to pick up an item from the UK worth £15 :sigh:

Just got a mail from Amazon titled 'Ordering on Amazon.co.uk for delivery to Republic of Ireland'.

With an example:

quote:

On orders more than €150 dispatched from Amazon UK (custom duties and taxes where applicable):

- The price you see before checkout is inclusive of UK VAT (e.g. 20%).

- UK VAT is removed at checkout and once an Irish delivery address is selected

you will instead see 1) an item price which excludes VAT, and 2) an Import Fee Deposit which includes Irish VAT (23%), and any applicable duties (for some products no duties are applied).

- E.g. a ladies coat with a price of €200.92 (including UK VAT) changes to €230.65 at checkout (UK VAT is removed and replaced with Irish VAT and duties, which in this example would be €167.43 ex-VAT price + €63.22 Import Fee Deposit and Irish VAT).

So pay 30 euros more, or order it from amazon.de and not pay 30 euros more.
Decisions, decisions.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Junior G-man posted:

Brand-new shiny UKMT-adjacent pod just dropped. I finally got to do the UK farming episode I've wanted to do for a while; it's going the same way as the fishing industry. So, good news!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1461381849612263424?s=20

It took me several minutes until I no longer misheard "microflats" as "microflaps" and I was extremely, horribly confused.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not to be too much of an apologist for my fellow Corkman, but I feel that whole thing is a bit.misconstrued. Keane def would have been happy with the outcome either way tho

https://www.goal.com/en-ie/amp/news...d8fObvL&ampcf=1

Link doesn't work but that aside, whether he ended his career or not is kind of irrelevant, it was a psycho challenge. Duncan Ferguson got sent to prison for 3 months for headbutting an opponent & what Keane did to Haaland was every bit as violent & was premeditated according to Dunphy in Keane's autobiography.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel like I've missed something with this raw sewage issue. Has Britian always been ust putting it's raw sewage wherever and people are fed up, or is this new?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, just England, and no, just since they stopped investing in infrastructure in favour of investing in bonuses.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Just opened a letter saying my Personal Independence Payment has been stopped. They sent me a reassessment form which I posted a week before the due date and they're claiming they never received it. They decided to reassess me 10 months after I won my current claim at tribunal.

Feels like I'll be at war with the DWP until the day I die.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

happyhippy posted:

Just got a mail from Amazon titled 'Ordering on Amazon.co.uk for delivery to Republic of Ireland'.

With an example:

So pay 30 euros more, or order it from amazon.de and not pay 30 euros more.
Decisions, decisions.

.de? But... I thought you brexited with us? :( </Moggsay>

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Link doesn't work but that aside, whether he ended his career or not is kind of irrelevant, it was a psycho challenge. Duncan Ferguson got sent to prison for 3 months for headbutting an opponent & what Keane did to Haaland was every bit as violent & was premeditated according to Dunphy in Keane's autobiography.

Ah yeah, it wasn't on, but it wasn't the career-ender it's misremembered as is all. Which is maybe irrelevant to "should Keane be locked up" but is still relevant to the cultural memory of the thing, and presumably to Haaland himself

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OK, now poppy saturation has really gone too far.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I feel like I've missed something with this raw sewage issue. Has Britian always been ust putting it's raw sewage wherever and people are fed up, or is this new?

it's complicated, i think they were always doing it but it was illegal so they had to be sort of sneaky but recently they've got rid of the regulations so they're all just dumping literal poo poo everywhere

like, they were always doing it somewhere but beaches weren't covered in poop

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 18, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

EU had rules about clean beaches and how sewage was to be treated that all countries had to follow.
Parts of the UK ignored the parts about sewage, and was allowing it spill into rivers and water tables.
EU were threatening them a decade or more ago about it even, and nothing was done.
Brexit comes along, and those that were trying to treat its sewage couldn't now as the chemicals to do so were scarce, or starting to cost too much.
So Boris changed the law to allow them to dump it all into the rivers.
And it just got noticed recently due to the slightly brown sheen on the top of waters that has always been there, is now a four inch thick layer of diarrhea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Just opened a letter saying my Personal Independence Payment has been stopped. They sent me a reassessment form which I posted a week before the due date and they're claiming they never received it. They decided to reassess me 10 months after I won my current claim at tribunal.

Feels like I'll be at war with the DWP until the day I die.

Would that there were a party I could vote for whose sole policy was hanging everyone who works for the DWP.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

Would that there were a party I could vote for whose sole policy was hanging everyone who works for the DWP.

This is the first thing that's made me smile since opening the letter, so thank you for that

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

happyhippy posted:

And it just got noticed recently due to the slightly brown sheen on the top of waters that has always been there, is now a four inch thick layer of diarrhea.

Yeah, it's easy enough to say that rivers are naturally a bit unclean, it's a different story when the seas are depositing big foamy turds on the beaches that immediately sprout vegetables.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not even really joking to be honest, it's really difficult to hold on to the idea that blind vengefulness is not better than how stuff actually goes which is that the people who spend their time ruining other people's lives just... get paid for it and suffer no consequences.

The saying may be that an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind, but it seems more like the alternative just leads to the establishment of the eye gouging office who obviously cannot be held responsible for any of the eyes they gouged.

Bloodthirst aside, I do really wish you didn't have to deal with all that loving shite, I had to deal with them for a while when I was unemployed and I don't know if I would manage it today.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
The dwp exists to drive you to suicide and if you have to deal with them, it is massively helpful to set up a buddy or community system. I spam out the needed SARs and requests for support letters from templates, draft whatever claims for my disabled family members and a few friends, and my social worker mate drafts mine.

This way, you don't have to do the the worst case/worst day/most soul crushing effect on X category routine for 6 hours about yourself, you just review the work so you can sign off on it. Then when I'm done I want to kill fascist jobsworths, instead of myself.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1461384991875731467

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 18, 2021

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

The only bad engagement is no engagement.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not even really joking to be honest, it's really difficult to hold on to the idea that blind vengefulness is not better than how stuff actually goes which is that the people who spend their time ruining other people's lives just... get paid for it and suffer no consequences.

The saying may be that an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind, but it seems more like the alternative just leads to the establishment of the eye gouging office who obviously cannot be held responsible for any of the eyes they gouged.

Bloodthirst aside, I do really wish you didn't have to deal with all that loving shite, I had to deal with them for a while when I was unemployed and I don't know if I would manage it today.

I'm not sure this is bloodthirst tbh

seems like an entirely logical outcome in any healthy society: some bandits turn up and the community at the very least exiles them

instead we kinda just allow these sadists to sit there and destroy people because of the also logical concern about going to prison

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They know what they're doing

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
bowie shouldn't be touring anyway in his condition imho

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Bug Squash posted:

OK, now poppy saturation has really gone too far.
"Bug Squash" :ohdear: please be gentle with that little one

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SixFigureSandwich posted:

But you can criticize everything the Tories are doing wrong while avoiding presenting an alternative plan that would get you criticized in turn, drawing fire away from the Tories. I wasn't really trying to say how successful Labour are doing this, one way or the other.
Honestly the thing the country is crying out for is someone who will openly and passionately loving maul the PM over their party's record. But because the system selects for people just as corrupt and venal and prevents anyone with actual morals getting anywhere near the hot seat, the nearest we get is Keir "I would do the same thing but more politely" Starmer.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

CGI Stardust posted:

"Bug Squash" :ohdear: please be gentle with that little one

I think that’s one of the killer ones you are supposed to squash isn’t it? Like they eat other Ladybugs and not greenfly?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

One of our few competent producers on the team I was helping out on turned out to be a nonce the week before last. He was very much fired instantly but that was a 'joyful' experience of handing his laptop over to the police and trying to resist the urge to burn everything. Especially when half my meetings are booked by him and his face keeps popping up in outlook. Gah.

Then... loving then... This week a guy who got promoted just this year that we were really happy with and everyone said was a "sound dude" decided to sexually harass the new producer who was helping us fill the shortfall.

loving hell.

I just don't get it. Out of nowhere he just decided to fill her inbox with self pitying garbage and when she politely declined and said she had a partner and a kid thanks but no... Kept loving going.

The gently caress posesses people to think that's OK and that they won't get caught and instantly turbo hosed? Especially the week where everyone is incredibly angry and upset that someone we trusted turned out to be a monster.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

One of our few competent producers on the team I was helping out on turned out to be a nonce the week before last. He was very much fired instantly but that was a 'joyful' experience of handing his laptop over to the police and trying to resist the urge to burn everything. Especially when half my meetings are booked by him and his face keeps popping up in outlook. Gah.

Then... loving then... This week a guy who got promoted just this year that we were really happy with and everyone said was a "sound dude" decided to sexually harass the new producer who was helping us fill the shortfall.

loving hell.

I just don't get it. Out of nowhere he just decided to fill her inbox with self pitying garbage and when she politely declined and said she had a partner and a kid thanks but no... Kept loving going.

The gently caress posesses people to think that's OK and that they won't get caught and instantly turbo hosed? Especially the week where everyone is incredibly angry and upset that someone we trusted turned out to be a monster.

Some people just have no sense at all of timing, generally people who view everything that happens as being aimed at them/ about them etc.. Not sure how that fits your guy there harassing the producer but maybe the preceding incident pressed some sort of trigger.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People are surpriisngly good at having such an utterly subjective perspective on the world that they quite possibly don't even think about that, in the moment there is only Posting and Being Horny.

Also the specific incel type weirdos spend a lot of time hyping themselves and each other up about weird conspiracies that all women are doing to destroy the masculine race or whatever, so they also tend to go off on one really easily, again because the space in their brain is not at all like the space in yours, theirs is full of nonsense that only makes sense to them with all the environmental priming they have undergone. They go around believing they are fighting, and losing, a war against the perfidious womz and chads who are destroying society. Eventually that boils over and they either do a mass shooting or end up going insane at every woman they speak to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/bincedmeef/status/1461269696469090306