Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Cythereal posted:

It was called Shapes of Motivation, and it's aimed at training managers about how different kinds of employees have different reasons for coming in to work and understanding what motivates different people.

The other shapes were:

Squares - believe in the company vision/mission and get fulfillment from contributing to that purpose

Hexagons - work because the job is useful to their professional goals out of ambition or learning new skills

Circles - work because they enjoy the people they work with and see the job primarily as a social experience

Squares only exist for charities or religious institutions. Hexagons are just triangles in training. Circles are retirees whose children stopped talking to them after they grew up and moved out of the house.

I guess these people are selling management the fantasy that there's something other than money that they can use to get labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

is that how giftcards are accounted in their books?

Yes, which also means they don't even pay taxes on the paid amount until the card is redeemed, at which point the liability is converted to revenue.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

ponzicar posted:

Squares only exist for charities or religious institutions. Hexagons are just triangles in training. Circles are retirees whose children stopped talking to them after they grew up and moved out of the house.

I guess these people are selling management the fantasy that there's something other than money that they can use to get labor.

I can believe that squares exist in the weird corners of the tech sector. We Work comes to mind.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Can he act? He could play Puck if Marvel ever got so desperate for a new IP movies they made an Alpha Flight one.

Bit too tall for him. Puck's under 4 feet.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Gift cards are super popular with businesses because a certain portion of them are never used. Even in a state where they aren't allowed to expire, they get lost permanently or at the very least prices might have risen to the point that $25 gift card buys a lot less of their supplies than when the gift card was originally bought.

neat, I knew/heard about the lost giftcards and expired ones before, but hadnt thought about the possible change in buying power from when its made and if its finally spent years later.

Also yeah the sigma with giving cash is dumb and weird and I wished it didnt happen so I could give cash itself and not have to waste a 5$ fee on visa/master/ or amex card fees

SimonChris posted:

Yes, which also means they don't even pay taxes on the paid amount until the card is redeemed, at which point the liability is converted to revenue.

also neat, learning about more fin magics today.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BigRed0427 posted:

I can believe that squares exist in the weird corners of the tech sector. We Work comes to mind.

I was a square when I was a librarian. I am now a triangle doing a general data entry and record-keeping job for way more money.

Having a fulfilling mission at work is nice, but it doesn't pay the rent.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm guessing the point isn't so much that Squares don't care about the money as it is that they're invested for other reasons too whereas a Triangle has a purely transactional relationship with that business. Like, assuming the Square can get by on what they're currently making they might not leave for a slightly better paying job because it's not work they're passionate about whereas a Triangle probably would.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BigRed0427 posted:

A lot of startup employees and founders are squiangles; they simultaneously believe that they are changing the world for the better and hope to get very very rich and move on.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I think Jeff is a square.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cythereal posted:

Shapes of Motivation

Oh good, another flavour of Corporate Astrology. Was your bosses old frat brother the one running it?

I've done two of these at two different jobs and both times it was someone the manager knew running it, being paid 3-5k per diem for the privilege of getting us to do idiotic "team building" exercises.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

christmas boots posted:

I'm guessing the point isn't so much that Squares don't care about the money as it is that they're invested for other reasons too whereas a Triangle has a purely transactional relationship with that business. Like, assuming the Square can get by on what they're currently making they might not leave for a slightly better paying job because it's not work they're passionate about whereas a Triangle probably would.

It was a lot of that, and a lot of stuff along the lines of "If you have a big to-do with clients, it may be worth getting your Squares and Circles even if they're on paper less qualified than your Triangles and Hexagons, a Square who's passionate about what they do is likely to make a better impression than a Triangle who's superbly technically skilled but only shows up for a paycheck" and "Consider the composition of your office before handing out big rewards, Circles may appreciate a big office party but Triangles would likely prefer a free vacation day or a bonus, Hexagons are likely more interested in a chance for advanced training or a party specifically with networking opportunities, and Squares may get the most out of a certificate or photograph or other tangible reminder of their achievement."

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

..What? Pete Davidson doesn't look like, fat or anything here, so what's the deal? "If you're not literally a body builder, you're a disgusting slob"? He's always been a skinny dude.

If we wanna go by "toxic masculinity" rules, Joe Rogan is a pussy for only getting arm tattoos, while Pete's got 'em all over. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/YankReb69/status/1459980206555504652

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, would I be pissed if sales and marketing got a big office party and I got a certificate. Oh, wait.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Sorry to touch back on the Pete Davidson/Joe Rogan thing, but...is it really such a "gotcha" that "photo of man posing for picture with professional lighting, airbrushing, edited backgrounds, etc." may look better than "candid (probably unedited) photo of a guy walking on a sidewalk"?

That's like those "REPUBLICAN WOMEN: [all glamourous headshots] DEMOCRAT WOMEN: [all unflattering photos of women mid-talking or sneezing]" posts.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cythereal posted:

Circles may appreciate a big office party but Triangles would likely prefer a free vacation day or a bonus, Hexagons are likely more interested in a chance for advanced training or a party specifically with networking opportunities,

As a triangle, hexagons are my natural enemy

I’m an introvert and almost always want to go home and be anywhere but work, but I can get on board with the “gently caress it, get drunk I guess” thing that circles like

But gently caress networking

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

sexpig by night posted:

'zerg rush Stalingrad' is also really loving good. Just absolutely no clue about what actually happened.

Ally with the Salvs... :thunk:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dynastocles posted:

"This full-time position is a PASSION PROJECT. "

Cool, so that means, like... I can have my dick out while I'm working?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

the_sea_hag posted:

Ally with the Salvs... :thunk:

All that is missing is "use the ingenuity and creations of fellow Germans who also happened to be Jewish"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why the gently caress do so many of you work in the "organizing death games for koreans in debt" industry

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hedrigall posted:

As a triangle, hexagons are my natural enemy

I’m an introvert and almost always want to go home and be anywhere but work, but I can get on board with the “gently caress it, get drunk I guess” thing that circles like

But gently caress networking

but.... but triangle man hates person man

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Skwirl posted:

I work for the post office and there are super strict rules about gifts from customers (I work in a sorting capacity so I don't get those, it's the carriers that get that). Can't be worth more than 10 bucks, can't be cash, can be a gift card but can't be a prepaid credit card.

Again, I'm not the mailman who shows up at your door, but unless it's something super extravagant, I doubt they refuse anything, maybe the cash?

you're doing god's work out there. I came in as an MHA last october, had a miserable half a year, got doing a bit better, but in the end... it's still drat hard work for not enough pay, especially with the two-tier system that new employees have to deal with. If I was on the payscale for the older folks i'd still be there, probably.

Shoutout and keep safe dude.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

That's just a prepaid debit card you turnip

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

That's just a prepaid debit card you turnip

Hmm yes this seems well run.

Shopping with Prezzy card is much the same as shipping with a credit card.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silly Newbie posted:

Hmm yes this seems well run.

Shopping with Prezzy card is much the same as shipping with a credit card.

The US (and Canada, and France, and everywhere else I'm familiar with) also has prepaid cards. They were referring to a prepaid card, not to a credit card. In fact, the dumbass yanks even have multiple companies that will give you a card, instead of a single brand name, loaded with New Zealand Dollars (TM)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: My joke was funny but already delivered in a worse form.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

New Zealand Dollars (TM)

Are those like V-Bucks?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The US (and Canada, and France, and everywhere else I'm familiar with) also has prepaid cards. They were referring to a prepaid card, not to a credit card. In fact, the dumbass yanks even have multiple companies that will give you a card, instead of a single brand name, loaded with New Zealand Dollars (TM)

but that site shows Visa and Mastercard?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Hedrigall posted:

hexagons are my natural enemy

–Prussians, mid-1800

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dynastocles posted:

"This full-time position is a PASSION PROJECT. "

"We treat our employees like family."

"We work hard and we play hard."

PYF job listing red flags

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

PhazonLink posted:

but that site shows Visa and Mastercard?
Visa and MasterCard are interchange networks. They take a cut for linking the issuing institution with the acquiring banks, license BINs and set the rules for how transactions take place.

If you can afford to, you can issue a Visa or Mastercard-branded card. The goddamn Kardashians had a Visa card (white-label, but you've probably never heard of that company).

Now as to the distinction between a debit card and a credit card: primarily, the former is backed by an account balance, the latter with the balance of a line of credit, with each having a distinct BIN. Secondarily, uncaptured debit card authorizations used to expire much more rapidly than credit card authorizations, but I do not believe this is still the case.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Fister Roboto posted:

"We treat our employees like family."

"We work hard and we play hard."

PYF job listing red flags

I don't think I have what it takes to work in a steel mill

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
OP is not the idiot, and first tweet is a thread.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1381603092110581760

Second tweet on this one, can't separate them:

https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1461369466130812932

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Studio Ghibli, but I had no idea that they were this cool.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/Walter53233126/status/1461405887462002688?s=20

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

If we wanna go by "toxic masculinity" rules, Joe Rogan is a pussy for only getting arm tattoos, while Pete's got 'em all over. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/YankReb69/status/1459980206555504652

Can confirm that sternum suuuuucks.

Esp when you're under someone with a heavy hand, Jackie.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Anora posted:

OP is not the idiot, and first tweet is a thread.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1381603092110581760

Second tweet on this one, can't separate them:

https://twitter.com/Richmond_Lee/status/1461369466130812932

gently caress yeah.

gonna go watch Princess Mononoke again and raise a glass to woke Ghibli.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/epitasis/status/1461560067283693571?t=o7HqBDjdVQsw7kVnZ2Resg&s=19

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Top tier self own

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

NFT talk usually bores me to tears but this is worthy of an eyebrow raise
https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1461550324284493826?t=FQ4d5fnR7qhRvL1DckJV5g&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

In addition to Walter's garden-variety idiocy here, please note that the person he's replying to is the daughter of Martin Luther King Jr.

Screenshotted in case of deletion: