Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDqIVFklx14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

You've gotta admire their commitment (and budget) at the very least. I wanted to go into this with little to no expectations, and hoping for average, but I'll be honest, it's hard not to be excited and expectant with videos like that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPY1ucmAMw

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

A good few of the comments to that video are how it's not based on a scene in the books, but it's true enough to the characterization/tone the book had that I would never even have noticed; at least not based on my 15/20 year memories of the books. That said, is the story Nynaeve tells there about [vague spoilers about general culture from the first few books based on that video] her mentor trying to become an Aes Sedai in the books? It vaguely rings a bell (maybe just based on the "listening to the wind" euphenism), but at the same time it seems odd that the White Tower would turn away a peasant since I'm pretty sure there's lots of Aes Sedai of poorer background in the books.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I often think about when I first saw Fellowship of the Ring, with great trepidation as a lifelong Tolkien nerd terrified that it would be awful or, worse, be "fine" but completely screw up the characterizations.

Then one of the first lines is Gandalf glowering archly and going: "A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

And then his serious face that he's trying so hard to maintain wobbles and breaks and they leap at each other laughing, and I said to myself, "OK, everything's gonna be fine."

It's a line that appears nowhere in the text but it's dead-on for him and introduces the character perfectly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tsob posted:

A good few of the comments to that video are how it's not based on a scene in the books, but it's true enough to the characterization/tone the book had that I would never even have noticed; at least not based on my 15/20 year memories of the books. That said, is the story Nynaeve tells there about [vague spoilers about general culture from the first few books based on that video] her mentor trying to become an Aes Sedai in the books? It vaguely rings a bell (maybe just based on the "listening to the wind" euphenism), but at the same time it seems odd that the White Tower would turn away a peasant since I'm pretty sure there's lots of Aes Sedai of poorer background in the books.

It seems odd and doesn't fit with the Tower under Siuan but it doesn't necessarily conflict with anything especially given unreliability of oral transmission and what might have been Tower practice 200 years ago when nynaeves mentor made her trip. It isn't in the books but nothing in the books makes it impossible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tsob posted:

this is also going off of very old memories of the books but doesn't the tower shun wilders even in "current" times? I assume they turned her away because she was past the point of them being able to mold her into the image they wanted to

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

IcePhoenix posted:

this is also going off of very old memories of the books but doesn't the tower shun wilders even in "current" times? I assume they turned her away because she was past the point of them being able to mold her into the image they wanted to

This seems most likely, that or she was too weak. There are certain thresholds of strength at which a person isn't considered worth training once they have the basic knowledge of how to not kill themselves and others around them. The White Tower often conflicts itself with its policy of total authority over all women who can channel, its biases against women that don't follow their orthodoxy, and it's utilitarian concerns over whether any given woman is actually of use to them

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

IcePhoenix posted:

This is (minor) Book 2 spoilers, for those worried: It doesn't shun wilders, exactly. A lot of people look down on them. But what it does is have an age cap on being admitted as a Novice. The White Tower doesn't like to take girls who are older than like ... 18? Nynaeve, at 25-26ish, would've normally been turned away. The thing is that girls with the spark born in them tend to begin channeling somewhere around ages 15-17. So, any wilder who doesn't figure out what's going on really fast and head to the Tower for training will end up being too old for them.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

buffalo all day posted:

the better own on sepinwall is that he called the live-action cowboy bebop a "fast moving pulpy hit" and gave it 4 stars.

just to be clear, you haven't seen the live-action cowboy bebop yet, right? something very funny about trying to own a reviewer by contesting the accuracy of a review of a show none of us have even seen, whether or not it turns out to be good or bad.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

just to be clear, you haven't seen the live-action cowboy bebop yet, right? something very funny about trying to own a reviewer by contesting the accuracy of a review of a show none of us have even seen, whether or not it turns out to be good or bad.

i wrote and directed cowboy beborp ,, now who’s owned :smugdog: :meowth:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

buffalo all day posted:

i wrote and directed cowboy beborp ,, now who’s owned :smugdog: :meowth:

poo poo, now that's ownage

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

poo poo, now that's ownage

Think it's time to blow this scene

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Think it's time to blow this scene

lol

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Whew, I about had a heart attack this morning. I use an app that tells me when TV shows air, and I got a notification that all three WoT episodes had dropped this morning. It must have glitched or something, because I checked Prime and of course they're not up yet. That reminds me though, on Reddit they were saying the episodes will drop tonight at about 7pm CST, but of course Prime says tomorrow. Do we know when exactly they will air?

vvvvv Oh nice. That's 6pm CST tonight according to this time zone converter I found. vvvvvv

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 18, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Midnight gmt usually.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

Whew, I about had a heart attack this morning. I use an app that tells me when TV shows air, and I got a notification that all three WoT episodes had dropped this morning. It must have glitched or something, because I checked Prime and of course they're not up yet. That reminds me though, on Reddit they were saying the episodes will drop tonight at about 7pm CST, but of course Prime says tomorrow. Do we know when exactly they will air?

vvvvv Oh nice. That's 6pm CST tonight according to this time zone converter I found. vvvvvv

Midnight GMT has been the assumption which turns out to be 7pm EST this evening. Dozens have reached out to amazon CSR's and asked this and one will say: yes, midnight GMT and another has said: No, we don't know, it's up to the content creator so :shrug:

I'm gonna start refreshing at 7pm EST this evening.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hexel posted:

Midnight GMT has been the assumption which turns out to be 7pm EST this evening. Dozens have reached out to amazon CSR's and asked this and one will say: yes, midnight GMT and another has said: No, we don't know, it's up to the content creator so :shrug:

I'm gonna start refreshing at 7pm EST this evening.

I would think it's more up to the content dark one, in this timeline

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The bit about content creators having control is rubbish. The current (good imo) release model of 3 episodes a once the 1 per week started with The Boys season 2, Eric Kripke said that the producers of the show went Amazon with that format. So either he is a visionary and Amazon have followed his lead or, he was being Aes Sedai with the truth.

Amazon tried different release formats before settling this one.

I like it personally as you can have a long movie like first 3 hours as an amuse bouche, and still have a weekly discussion main course. I don't see it working for 6 episode seasons though, perhaps 2 episode drop at first? We will see with s6 of the expanse.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How many episodes are suppose to be in the first season? I heard that They were covering book 1 and book 2 in the first season.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Eight I think. Three tomorrow, and one every five weeks to end shortly before Christmas.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

How many episodes are suppose to be in the first season? I heard that They were covering book 1 and book 2 in the first season.

Eight episodes, *mostly* book one, with some from New Spring, Great Hunt, and elsewhere.

Overall score just went to 59% and "rotten" on rotten tomatoes, based on 29 reviews >_<.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Torrannor posted:

Eight I think. Three tomorrow, and one every five weeks to end shortly before Christmas.

I think you mean five DAYS, because if you hadn't had the "shortly before Christmas," bit I would have been pretty boggled.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eight episodes, *mostly* book one, with some from New Spring, Great Hunt, and elsewhere.

Overall score just went to 59% and "rotten" on rotten tomatoes, based on 29 reviews >_<.

the funny thing is we're still in the early period with that where it can swing wildly due to more reviews randomly filtering in, so a string of a couple in a row going either direction can make a big jump happen, lmao

i think it was sitting in the 70% range yesterday at one point so honestly make whatever you want out of it. i feel any criticism about season 1 being reminiscent of lord of the rings will be handily taken care of by further seasons anyways, so whatever, we'll see what happens beyond that

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You can also just safely ignore professional reviewers anyway. Their job isn't to give you a good review. Their job is to generate clicks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like to be clear i'm not coming from the position of making GBS threads on anyone who reviews it relatively negatively, more just that i think ultimately it was always due to end up in the 50-70% range for the first season and fluctuations right now are pretty much to be expected. the events of later books/seasons will absolutely bring it on home more than s1 most likely, just going off what i know from having read it all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

like to be clear i'm not coming from the position of making GBS threads on anyone who reviews it relatively negatively, more just that i think ultimately it was always due to end up in the 50-70% range for the first season and fluctuations right now are pretty much to be expected. the events of later books/seasons will absolutely bring it on home more than s1 most likely, just going off what i know from having read it all.

Oh yeah. I just would prefer it to be sitting comfortably in the "fresh" range because I want people to watch it. We haven't actually gotten official confirmation of a third season yet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sanguinia posted:

I think you mean five DAYS, because if you hadn't had the "shortly before Christmas," bit I would have been pretty boggled.

You're right, I didn't mean every five weeks. One episode every week for five weeks total was what I meant.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it'll be interesting to see how the early bits end up shaking out compared to further content because universally a thing told to new readers who ask about things is that the first book in itself, which is what comprises a lot of the bulk of season 1, is different from further books in terms of how it's structured and mainly serves as this grand little almost self-contained adventure that's directly meant to evoke feelings of lord of the rings. it was also set up in a way where the author didn't know if he was going to get the chance to publish more books so he ultimately wanted it to at least wrap up well enough in some regards to where people won't feel entirely cliffhangered if it ended up being a solo endeavor.

obviously the show can smooth out that transition but mainly what i'm getting at is that i think book readers were probably expecting something along these lines

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm not really making GBS threads on anyone for negative reviews. The show may be absolutely terrible, I have no clue. I'm just saying that the fundamental motivation for any review, be it good or bad, is not "Give my readers a useful review to base their viewing habits on". It's "Get the most engagement for my article". They used to be one and the same, since getting people to read your articles and buy your papers meant giving good reviews, because there were only a few papers available and people's choices mattered more. With all the choices available now, people can easily forget someone who gave a useless review for a show a few months ago and will click the article again based entirely on a headline.

Any useful review is an accident.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

rand is unbelievably hot

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dipped outta the thread earlier this week after people started seeing it; what time does it go live on Amazon tomorrows?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sab669 posted:

Dipped outta the thread earlier this week after people started seeing it; what time does it go live on Amazon tomorrows?

we suspect/hope that it'll pop at midnight GMT, which is 7pm eastern time for us in the US.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

7PM tonight? That'd be cool :hellyeah:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I'm on a slack with the reviewer for the AV club. His review isn't done yet but he has already been saying very positive things about it. Which may swing it the other way again. (He's also a book reader.)

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

4 hours until The Dragon rides again on the winds of time!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hexel posted:

4 hours until The Dragon rides again on the winds of time!

Yessss. Does anyone have that awesome quote from the book about the Dragon being reborn? I can't remember the context but basically someone screaming that a baby has been born on the mountain and is the dragon reborn and he will break the world etc... It's been a long time since I read the books.

*Not sure if a book line is a spoiler but hiding just in case. Don't read the graphic novel image below if you want to avoid anything related.

Also, does Rand hang dong in the first three episodes?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 18, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

WAFO

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Hughmoris posted:

Yessss. Does anyone have that awesome quote from the book about the Dragon being reborn? I can't remember the context but basically someone screaming that a baby has been born on the mountain and is the dragon reborn and he will break the world etc... It's been a long time since I read the books.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thank you, that's the one. Can't wait!

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 18, 2021