Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

wtf? how the hell does nick mullen have a better labour policy

There's a reason we elected him president of the DSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm personally just looking forward to more of Ben Shapiro's book because that poo poo is funny.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Robert, if you still read this thread, I want to repeat my request for a Tim Pool episode.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Lowtax episode when

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cockblocktopus posted:

Lowtax episode when

Seriously, now is the time for a Lowtax/general SA episode.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“Oh it’s Thursday! Wonder what the latest episode do Worst Year Ever will be! Maybe on that weird rear end anime re-“

[Sigh]

E: also I just noticed the glasses still say 2020.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Please tell me Robert isn't an NFT stan :|

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

An insane mind posted:

Please tell me Robert isn't an NFT stan :|

No, he dunks on nfts and the ape yachts and they watch the ad for the bored ape cartoon and Katie’s mind is blown

He also brings up lowtax and how SA is fundamentally responsible for a lot of the internet, good and ill alike, thanks to poo poo like 4chan and the old SA pedophile website takedowns and such

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

rotinaj posted:

No, he dunks on nfts and the ape yachts and they watch the ad for the bored ape cartoon and Katie’s mind is blown

He also brings up lowtax and how SA is fundamentally responsible for a lot of the internet, good and ill alike, thanks to poo poo like 4chan and the old SA pedophile website takedowns and such

Oh cool, I'm going to listen soon. I'm just so sick of hearing about NFTs and Bitcoin, sorry if I came off hostile.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

An insane mind posted:

Oh cool, I'm going to listen soon. I'm just so sick of hearing about NFTs and Bitcoin, sorry if I came off hostile.

Same and they are tired of talking about it but it is just so loving dumb that Robert and Cody had to dunk on it while Katie alternated between being bored and being mind boggled at how dumb it is

That was the vibe I got from listening to it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Robert has been using “pilled” both ironically and unironically for a minute

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

Robert has been using “pilled” both ironically and unironically for a minute

Robert has made no bones about having spent way too much time on the internet and having melted his brain with it

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

teen witch posted:

“Oh it’s Thursday! Wonder what the latest episode do Worst Year Ever will be! Maybe on that weird rear end anime re-“

[Sigh]

Cody always sounds extremely drunk and tired on WYE, from his reaction to that loving "cartoon" trailer I almost expected him to go berserk

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

fatherboxx posted:

Cody always sounds extremely drunk and tired on WYE, from his reaction to that loving "cartoon" trailer I almost expected him to go berserk

To be fair, Cody is very good at sounding like he's drunk and or on the verge of going apeshit.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Re: the latest ep:

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 23, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm so, so happy that Garrison joined the team.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Yeah, he's been fantastic

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
To be fair to the 'eels in the arse cure constipation' guys, if someone threatened to shove a live eel up me, I'd probably poo poo myself

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
The 'nazi pedophile cult leader who murdered santa' episodes really delivered.
Also, had paul f tompkins as a guess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

rotinaj posted:

Same and they are tired of talking about it but it is just so loving dumb that Robert and Cody had to dunk on it while Katie alternated between being bored and being mind boggled at how dumb it is

That was the vibe I got from listening to it

i just don't get it. i know rich fucks are bored and dumb and weird but if you want art, just buy ART. like donate to a museum a gently caress ton and basically buy a gallery section or a whole gallery of a museum through donations of whatever kind of art you like. like gently caress, if i were rich, id fill my second empire haunted house with like a mix of classic/modern/40k/patreon art. but these fucks blow it on loving jpegs from a random generator. loving blow your money on artists, like real ones.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 24, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just don't get it. i know rich fucks are bored and dumb and weird but if you want art, just buy ART. like donate to a museum a gently caress ton and basically buy a gallery section or a whole gallery of a museum through donations of whatever kind of art you like. like gently caress, if i were rich, id fill my second empire haunted house with like a mix of classic/modern/40k/patreon art. but these fucks blow it on loving jpegs from a random generator. loving blow your money on artists, like real ones.

The point of NFTs is not the actual art, is their potential as an investment or as a money-laundering mechanism.

gently caress, a lot (if not most) of the billions of dollars rich people spend in "real" art are for those exact same reasons. NFTs just make it even easier.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

The point of NFTs is not the actual art, is their potential as an investment or as a money-laundering mechanism.

gently caress, a lot (if not most) of the billions of dollars rich people spend in "real" art are for those exact same reasons. NFTs just make it even easier.

thats lovely. like i said. id just buy a giant portrait of Caiphas cain, hero of the imperium for my weird house.

https://warhammerart.com/shop/warhammer-40000/imperium/ciaphas-cain-choose-your-enemies/

https://warhammerart.com/shop/warhammer-40000/imperium/ciaphas-cain/

they are real, you can get them on canvas

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 24, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

I wonder what the comparison might look like between the overhead and environmental impact of climate controlling and securing a warehouse in a free port, vs ~thE BlokChaIN!~

Wonder what Christie's et al have to say bout getting cut out of the middle of the racket?

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011

mrfart posted:

The 'nazi pedophile cult leader who murdered santa' episodes really delivered.
Also, had paul f tompkins as a guess.

I tried explaining this to someone because I had been laughing for a couple minutes and it just doesn’t translate without hearing it

Also I loved PFTs “well…..it’s not getting any better”. Pretty much sums up the entire podcast series

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, is there something wrong with my phone or was there some screwups with the episode dates/upload? Because I just got the latest ep (Part One of Libertarian Boat Cities) but the episode date shows up as last Thursday and so it was hidden. I had assumed Robert had taken Thanksgiving off and it's not usual to have a part one on a Thursday).

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

teen witch posted:

[Sigh]

E: also I just noticed the glasses still say 2020.

I appreciated this episode because I could hear them react to a video that would have absolutely done absurd psychic damage so I absolutely did not have to by proxy.

I just went through the Facebook 2-parter with Jamie Loftus and, like any episodes with her, it was excellent. Also: gently caress! That all sucks!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

AceOfFlames posted:

Ok, is there something wrong with my phone or was there some screwups with the episode dates/upload? Because I just got the latest ep (Part One of Libertarian Boat Cities) but the episode date shows up as last Thursday and so it was hidden. I had assumed Robert had taken Thanksgiving off and it's not usual to have a part one on a Thursday).

Thanks for posting this, because it apparently did the same for me via Pocket Casts.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sab Sabbington posted:

I appreciated this episode because I could hear them react to a video that would have absolutely done absurd psychic damage so I absolutely did not have to by proxy.

I just went through the Facebook 2-parter with Jamie Loftus and, like any episodes with her, it was excellent. Also: gently caress! That all sucks!

I wonder if they will do a similar reaction recording to the first “episode” of the unfunny ape cartoon

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Same as well for Apple Podcasts. Says it came out in Thursday when it absolutely didn’t (because I was hoping for a Thursday episode)

E: yeah seems like a lot of people have had this issue.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

rotinaj posted:

I wonder if they will do a similar reaction recording to the first “episode” of the unfunny ape cartoon

While this would be very funny, I earnestly do not think Cody could take it. I don't know that I'd wish that on anyone I didn't hate

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

oh no
https://twitter.com/Aquatix5/status/1465531450250432516

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It's happening.

https://twitter.com/katystoll/status/1465760803026456578?t=_zDDHztii1vXSrGfK9pDmw&s=19

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

:sickos:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Listening to the Libertarian Island ep, which is very good, but something caught my ear that I heard in the Facebook episodes. Robert keeps calling Snow Crash the foundational work of cyberpunk and it's so incorrect. I'm not sure why it bothers me since it doesn't actually matter. Maybe because it's also not very good cyberpunk.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Listening to the Libertarian Island ep, which is very good, but something caught my ear that I heard in the Facebook episodes. Robert keeps calling Snow Crash the foundational work of cyberpunk and it's so incorrect. I'm not sure why it bothers me since it doesn't actually matter. Maybe because it's also not very good cyberpunk.

I called him out on Twitter for this egregious neuromancer erasure

And he didn’t even go on to mention how the second half of the plot of snow crash has a lolbertarian sea island made of boats, gosh darn it

Snow crash is a very foundational cyberpunk novel to 13 year old me but holy gently caress did it not age gracefully

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

all i am thinking of is Bioshock 1 because rapture is the ultimate libertarian city

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Is there that much of a difference between Objectivism and Libertarianism? Since Bioshock was very specifically a criticism of the former (to the point that the Big Bad was not only called Andrew Ryan but he even had Ayn Rand's childhood) my nitpicky side perked up but maybe the two ideologies are close enough to make that sort of quibbling meaningless.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 4, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

all i am thinking of is Bioshock 1 because rapture is the ultimate libertarian city

Nah, for them that's too many miners, not enough minors.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

AceOfFlames posted:

Is there that much of a difference between Objectivism and Libertarianism? Since Bioshock was very specifically a criticism of the former (to the point that the Big Bad was not only called Andrew Ryan but he even had Ayn Rand's childhood) my nitpicky side perked up but maybe the two ideologies are close enough to make that sort of quibbling meaningless.

Edit: lol i thought the name was a mere tweak but Andrew Ryan is literally an anagram for New Ayn Rand. That rules.

American Libertarianism can be boiled down to overly simplified Objectivism, free markets, and all the drugs. It's a really reductive ideology, and in the same way Americans use the word 'liberal', doesn't cover the actual full meaning and can confuse non Americans in discussions. It's why Robert specified 'free market libertarians' versus 'social libertarians' in the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Oh poo poo, BtB cameo from divabot! I really need to read that drat book.