Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

if you have a costco membership, they sell a mouse that is basically the budget version of a mx master, which supports two bluetooth hosts and a dongle, and is currently $20. I've had mine a year and the switches all still work so it's doing well for a logitech

I've been using a magic mouse, which is not only overkill but which I'd much rather use on my Mac, so ordering that Logitech to see if it works well with my iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
note that you can not turn off moues acceleration on the ipad unless you put it into a keyboard/trackpad combo and then it gives you an option to turn it off. It's loving bizarre but once you set it to off you can use an actual mouse without acceleration.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

That mouse looks better than the one I have for my PC. I guess that makes the price easier to swallow.

Anyone have vertical stand advice? Sometimes I wanna type on my keyboard in vertical but the Apple folio only does it horizontal. I have a mini if that helps. Related: are there gooseneck flexible mounts that are recommend3d?
iPad "origami" cases were nice for this, but they seem less common these days. This is the only one I found just now for the new mini, it's both a fatter case style (than the minimal new magnetic folio type) and the fold angles don't look great with that particular design. Otherwise whatever generic device stand like this will work and give you more angles at least. There's been goosenecks posted in the thread a few times but don't know which particular ones myself.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The key cap on my k380’s down arrow just disappeared. Lol this sucks. I was just starting to enjoy typing on this iPad.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

anothergod posted:

That mouse looks better than the one I have for my PC. I guess that makes the price easier to swallow.

Anyone have vertical stand advice? Sometimes I wanna type on my keyboard in vertical but the Apple folio only does it horizontal. I have a mini if that helps. Related: are there gooseneck flexible mounts that are recommend3d?

Not quite a gooseneck but I (and my parents) have these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08B15CR4C and they're excellent.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any opinions on keyboard cases?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

They p good

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I just got the Pro keyboard case this morning. I like it way way more than I expected, I'm not a keyboard case guy.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I’ve barely used my MacBook since I put my iPad in one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I really hate the trackpad on the Logitech keyboard case. Takes way too much force to click it and difference amounts of force on different parts. Probably returning it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I really hate the trackpad on the Logitech keyboard case. Takes way too much force to click it and difference amounts of force on different parts. Probably returning it.

Does tap to click not work?

But yeah, if you have an iPad that fits it the question for a keyboard case is really just "why aren't you buying the magic keyboard folio" (and there are valid answers, including price; you just ask what about the magic keyboard doesn't work for you and then find something that fits that difference instead)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

But yeah, if you have an iPad that fits it the question for a keyboard case is really just "why aren't you buying the magic keyboard folio" (and there are valid answers, including price; you just ask what about the magic keyboard doesn't work for you and then find something that fits that difference instead)

you mean the magic ($350), or the folio ($200)?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

Nope! Honestly couldn’t believe how bad the trackpad was.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bottom Liner posted:

Nope! Honestly couldn’t believe how bad the trackpad was.

Settings > General > Trackpad > Tap to Click not an option?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

you mean the magic ($350), or the folio ($200)?

the magic, sorry. long week. it's an apple laptop keyboard for your ipad, with all the great quality that entails

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

the magic, sorry. long week. it's an apple laptop keyboard for your ipad, with all the great quality that entails

yeah it looks great. this would be a present, but paying the equivalent of a chromebook just for the case doesn't feel right, at least on my budget.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

101 posted:

Settings > General > Trackpad > Tap to Click not an option?

Gives the option but doesn't work.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rinkles posted:

yeah it looks great. this would be a present, but paying the equivalent of a chromebook just for the case doesn't feel right, at least on my budget.

the previous gen Magic Keyboard goes on deep discount often and 100% works with the new iPad Pro. I think it’s been as low as $150 this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be a high brow ipad user like me, get a zugu case and a pencil. Scribble out notes (and rescribble them ten times until the text conversion gets it close enough you can fix it with the keyboard) while wearing spectacles and wearing a smoking jacket. :smug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the previous gen Magic Keyboard goes on deep discount often and 100% works with the new iPad Pro. I think it’s been as low as $150 this year.

good to know thanks. this would be for a 2020 12.9 Pro.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Assuming yall are talking about the Logitech Combo touch? If so tap to click definitely works. I thought it didn’t but I had it toggled off. I have a 9th gen ipad for work. The actual case provides decent protection and being able to quickly take the keyboard off is great. However, I still get confused on which way it opens

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Bottom Liner posted:

Gives the option but doesn't work.

Do you mean the folio or combo touch? Either way I can't imagine it's enabled for one and not the other. Works perfectly on my combo touch, and I haven't used my Lenovo laptop for months now... The only negative bit in my daily browsing is that I'm either stuck with the AltStore Youtube app, and thus can't tab many videos or I'm stuck with YouTube ads in Safari since it won't block there. Unless there are some good ad blockers y'all can recommend?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Any opinions on keyboard cases?

Gonna get a Brydge one of these days

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

tuyop posted:

Gonna get a Brydge one of these days

Huh, those look good and are significantly cheaper than the magic.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Strange quirk…

My screen always used to look like this when I was connected to my keyboard and in a text field:

However, recently it looks like this:

Which is super annoying because I have to tap the icon and then the password suggestion (or auto correct).

Did I accidentally change something recently or was this a software update?

Please help!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Huh, those look good and are significantly cheaper than the magic.

I would do a lot of research on your particular model of choice, I have seen significant mixed reviews depending upon the model and a lot of questions about how they kept up after Apple added trackpad/mouse support.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have my complaints about the Magic keyboard but the trackpad works wonderfully.

I have another cheaper Amazon case that's keyboard-only, but allows me to use the iPad in a laptop or tablet configuration which is pretty nice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw Best Buy has the Magic Keyboard for $199

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...T&skuId=6340357

Pretty solid deal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw Best Buy has the Magic Keyboard for $199

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...T&skuId=6340357

Pretty solid deal.

Thanks. I see the latest version is full price. Is there any functional difference between the two, or just shape accommodations for the thicker M1 Pro?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Thanks. I see the latest version is full price. Is there any functional difference between the two, or just shape accommodations for the thicker M1 Pro?

Just shape changes for the M1 Pro. Might not magnetically connect quite as well if you use a 2021 model on the old keyboard, but it does work and do the same things.

e: looks like it's literally just fit when closed https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/05/23/yes-the-old-magic-keyboard-works-on-the-2021-ipad-pro

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Just shape changes for the M1 Pro. Might not magnetically connect quite as well if you use a 2021 model on the old keyboard, but it does work and do the same things.

Fwiw I’ve had no issues using it with my M1.

The M1 is slightly thicker (like 1mm or something) so it might put more stress on the hinges over time but besides that it’s functionally the same.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not even 1mm, the 2020 was 5.9 mm thick and the 2021 is 6.4 mm.

I'm sure they had a good reason for it though!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hinge stress was the only conjecture I heard but I’m sure it would be fine tbh. :shrug:

I was just happy I didn’t have to not use it because it’s not a cheap keyboard.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a magnetic thing for an iPad Air 4 that just has a strap or pop socket type thing?

I love the smart folio case and it’s great to just take it off when I don’t need it, but I’d love to sub in another thing so I can support the tablet better.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m having an issue where if I get a message on my iPhone and I delete it, it is not deleted on my iPad. Is there a setting I need to turn on or something?

Edit: along the same lines, I’ve realized I will never use the receive calls feature on my iPad since it doesn’t block spam/spoofed numbers. How do I turn this off as well?

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 19, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Strange quirk…

My screen always used to look like this when I was connected to my keyboard and in a text field:

However, recently it looks like this:

Which is super annoying because I have to tap the icon and then the password suggestion (or auto correct).

Did I accidentally change something recently or was this a software update?

Please help!
I think you can drag it to center to expand it to how it was before.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m having an issue where if I get a message on my iPhone and I delete it, it is not deleted on my iPad. Is there a setting I need to turn on or something?

Edit: along the same lines, I’ve realized I will never use the receive calls feature on my iPad since it doesn’t block spam/spoofed numbers. How do I turn this off as well?
For the deleted messages I’m guessing you need iCloud message sync turned on. To turn off calls, try on the iPhone, Settings-Phone-Calls on other devices, and maybe the wifi calling on other devices setting too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
software question: does anyone have a recommended app for organizing image files for research? so not a camera roll, not using iCloud photos (although a folder that syncs through iCloud is fine), but something I can stick actual research materials in with folder/tagging support.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

japtor posted:

For the deleted messages I’m guessing you need iCloud message sync turned on. To turn off calls, try on the iPhone, Settings-Phone-Calls on other devices, and maybe the wifi calling on other devices setting too.

Ah that was exactly it on both counts. Thank you!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

japtor posted:

I think you can drag it to center to expand it to how it was before.
THIS WAS IT OMG THANK YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

This is going to sound weird, but is there a way to pair my phone with my iPad and use it as a trackpad? I use my keyboard with my iPad quite a bit and the only annoying part about most text entry is raising my hand up to touch the actual iPad screen haha