Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BlackMK4 posted:

There is no way it makes even a third of that, haha

Yes it does. You just need to be going fast, at road speeds it doesnt do much

quote:

I love the wing but I would get self conscious having it while getting pulled on by your run of the mill family car

Lurk on their bumper than utterly embarrass them with a dive bomb at the next corner.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Anything can happen. Cobb OTS tunes are hard to go wrong with but it’s a roll of the dice when playing the warranty game. My Subaru dealer was very tuner friendly so I didn’t have issues when I had to take it in for a boost leak and the uh rather loud turbo back make it obvious it’s tuned

But if they really want to, they can come up with ways to deny the claim, and its just a pain to go through that process

And yes they can now tell when the ECU has been flashed even if it’s been reverted back. I never mounted my accessport, it just went back into the case

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes it does. You just need to be going fast, at road speeds it doesnt do much
Has someone wind tunneled them? The Verus wings that are significantly more aggressive don't make that kind of DF until north of 120mph and high AoA.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The 300 pound figure came from some SoA marketing material I saw once. So no, probably not wind tunneled lol.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lets be serious for a minute here: it's a cosmetic accessory with a flimsy plausible deniability excuse that it's functional.

No trunk-mounted wing is going to be all that effective, as it would crush the trunk lid. Look at how rear wings that provide actual downforce are mounted. It's not on sheet metal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

Lets be serious for a minute here: it's a cosmetic accessory with a flimsy plausible deniability excuse that it's functional.

No trunk-mounted wing is going to be all that effective, as it would crush the trunk lid. Look at how rear wings that provide actual downforce are mounted. It's not on sheet metal.

I agree, I was just saying I don't believe 300lbs of DF at any actually attainable speed. The trunk mount wings that make an actual decent df number (and obviously drag) will pull the front of the trunk up and bend it, rather than crush it, at least in my experience.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 19, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Motronic posted:

quote:

The trunk mount wings that make an actual decent df number (and obviously drag) will pull the front of the trunk up and bend it, rather than crush it, at least in my experience.

The proper STI wing mounts to reinforced areas that you can stand on without issue, with the base of the wing spreading the force out in areas that are double skinned with supporting skeleton. The after market wings that do not mount in these areas will damage the boot skin as it's not got that reinforcing.

The STI v5 wing on the GC8 I have spreads the load across the entire rear 1/4 of the bootlid.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dk2m posted:

Personally, I’m not sure if I would pay over sticker for a FA WRX. Not to say it’s a bad car - it’s good, but it will feel outdated compared to newer cars as the platform is really quite old.

The market is straight idiota rn so I can’t fault you for trying to take advantage of it, you’ll be happy I think with the WRX just as long as you set your expectations correctly. Test drive it thoroughly as the rev hang and strange throttle response is something to be comfortable with

I haven't driven any older model years, but my 2020 doesn't feel too bad in either of those categories. The first two gears do have a "casual driving" rev hang about them, but that's about it.

I will say, though, I'm very interested in picking up an Accessport to smooth out the powerband. It bugs the hell out of me how it falls on its face between 4-5000 RPM.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re never going to fix the engine

I mean the speakers :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My wife and I are looking at possibly getting a second car to make running errands and picking up/dropping off the baby easier. This is a good idea, right https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=612967765
:v:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Used 100kmi+ modified 12 year old turbocharged car for $20,000? Nothing but a good idea.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I was going to spend that much for a used one I'd try to find one of these:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-59/

I love the blobs.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Hey Subaru thread, I just had the local Subaru speciality shop do the timing belt on my 2005 wrx. They did the work with an Aisin kit I had lying around pretending I was going to do it myself some day. They fired it back up and it was misfiring on all 4 cylinders so they shut it right down. They've checked their work a zillion times, sent me photos and video showing that everything is perfectly lined up. They seem pretty stumped. Guy who did the work says he thinks it felt low on compression when he manually rotated the engine, so on Monday they'll do a compression and leakdown test and go from there. Any idea what sort of thing could have happened during a routine timing belt job?

edit: new cam sensor fixed it all up

Kreez fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 23, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've gotten exciting results like that when I mixed up a couple of ignition wires lol. I assume a shop would know better to do that, but it's also a pretty harmless mistake to make.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Are these clutches easy to smell when they’re brand spanking new? I’m trying to be gentle while I break everything in but it’s been hard to start on a hill without catching a whiff of it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I did a time attack in the lesbian speed wagon last week. It was a ton of fun. Good news: faster than a new Supra and a half second behind an R8. Bad news: significantly slower than several Golfs.

The front LSD is pulling me out of corners harder but I’m starting to spin the inside rear now. I think I will try to find a rear LSD (that does more than the viscous one that’s in it).

I want to do coilovers this winter. It will be Fortune 500’s, Feal 441’s, or KW V2’s, based on my budget and what’s available for the car. Likely 8k/8k swift springs. Any recommendations between the three of those?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whatcha got under the hood in that thing?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
It’s the EJ255 that came with it, rebuilt with forged pistons, some slightly stiffer valve springs, King bearings, and a nitrided STI crank, with a ported VF52, Perrin TMIC, ID 1050’s, AEM 340 pump, and a Killer B ELH. Makes 304/340 at the wheels on 93. Has STI Brembos on the front as well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s really cool.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thank you! It has been a rewarding and very fun project. Jamal deserves thanks for all the advice and discounts he has given me as well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh man, talking about performance parts reminded me of something I hadn't considered. It's November and my STI came with summer tires! Luckily I'm in the south and haven't had to drive it while its less than 50-something out but I need to fix this before it gets colder.

Anyone recommend a decently cheap set of all-seasons to use for about 4 months a year? I don't think I want winter's because it does randomly warm up throughout the winter here.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 24, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

My wife and I are looking at possibly getting a second car to make running errands and picking up/dropping off the baby easier. This is a good idea, right https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=612967765
:v:

So this was a joke but the requirement was real. I'm looking at a 2007 NA forester w/mt, 142k miles, timing belt and clutch replaced once according to the listing. Is there anything I should look for to be suspicious of the dreaded headgasket demons? The mid 00s EJ25 is like peak bad head gaskets, right?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

hobbesmaster posted:

So this was a joke but the requirement was real. I'm looking at a 2007 NA forester w/mt, 142k miles, timing belt and clutch replaced once according to the listing. Is there anything I should look for to be suspicious of the dreaded headgasket demons? The mid 00s EJ25 is like peak bad head gaskets, right?

Look for signs of rust around the rear fenders where it meets the bumper. Check the rockers as well. See if you can check the timing belt to see if it's actually been replaced. Brakes, ball joints, control arm bushings, and struts are all suspect at that age and you should budget for replacements if they haven't been done recently. WRT to the headgasket, it's a crapshoot, I have had two cars with that engine and sold one at 220k and the other at 160k both with no head gasket issues. Find a good shop that does a lot of them to prepare for if they go but I wouldn't say they are guaranteed to fail or anything.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

i own every Bionicle posted:

I did a time attack in the lesbian speed wagon last week. It was a ton of fun. Good news: faster than a new Supra and a half second behind an R8. Bad news: significantly slower than several Golfs.

The front LSD is pulling me out of corners harder but I’m starting to spin the inside rear now. I think I will try to find a rear LSD (that does more than the viscous one that’s in it).

I want to do coilovers this winter. It will be Fortune 500’s, Feal 441’s, or KW V2’s, based on my budget and what’s available for the car. Likely 8k/8k swift springs. Any recommendations between the three of those?

extrmely cool whip my guy

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Rolo posted:

Oh man, talking about performance parts reminded me of something I hadn't considered. It's November and my STI came with summer tires! Luckily I'm in the south and haven't had to drive it while its less than 50-something out but I need to fix this before it gets colder.

Anyone recommend a decently cheap set of all-seasons to use for about 4 months a year? I don't think I want winter's because it does randomly warm up throughout the winter here.

I never felt like I needed to swap them out on the wrx's. If it was one of those colder than 50 days I would just take it easy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fingat posted:

I never felt like I needed to swap them out on the wrx's. If it was one of those colder than 50 days I would just take it easy.

Do the stock Yoko’s not have a chance of physically cracking if it gets down below freezing while driving on them?

Edit: I'm going to be going to the mountains at least once this winter when it gets cold-cold. The next town over has 4 Yoko A/S's for under a grand installed. At the very least I'll just have a full set of new tires on standby in the closet.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 24, 2021

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Head Bee Guy posted:

extrmely cool whip my guy

Thank you!

Anybody ever driven a Cusco 1.5 way LSD for an R160? How bad are they for a daily?

There was a Subaru plated rear LSD for the R160 but the cost is about the same as the Cusco which has more availability and support.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

Do you want something a bit more performance fun or you just need something that does not become a hockey puck below freezing?

For a decent all season that's not expensive: General Altimax RT43.

For something a bit more performance oriented: G-MAX AS-05

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Wrar posted:

Do you want something a bit more performance fun or you just need something that does not become a hockey puck below freezing?

For a decent all season that's not expensive: General Altimax RT43.

For something a bit more performance oriented: G-MAX AS-05

I focused more so on just being fine and safe until spring. I ended up with Yoko Advan Sport A/S’s, they were decently priced and in stock :shrug:. Total cost installed was 900 bones and now I have some fresh summers ready to go when it warms up.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cobb Accessports are 10% off for Black Friday from both Cobb and MAPerformance (comes with their own take on a Stage 1 OTS tune.) Probably also on sale at your retailer of choice. I'm goin' in!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

enojy posted:

Cobb Accessports are 10% off for Black Friday from both Cobb and MAPerformance (comes with their own take on a Stage 1 OTS tune.) Probably also on sale at your retailer of choice. I'm goin' in!

I ordered one yesterday :cry:

Edit: Cobb has cool customer service. The guy laughed and refunded the sale amount to my card.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 24, 2021

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Fortune Auto 500’s ordered, there is a 15% off coupon code at Evasive motor sports right now. Use code FORTUNE15

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like to find fun twisty roads in western NC between camping and hiking trips. With the Forester it was no problem going wherever but I'd like to put a little into protecting the STI. Other than mud flaps are there any must-do's? I'm not trying to do rally driving but I do want to enjoy the stretches between clean pavement.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Rolo posted:

I like to find fun twisty roads in western NC between camping and hiking trips. With the Forester it was no problem going wherever but I'd like to put a little into protecting the STI. Other than mud flaps are there any must-do's? I'm not trying to do rally driving but I do want to enjoy the stretches between clean pavement.

Yea, dont do anything to it if it's under warranty. If you plan on keeping this vehicle for a while, after the warranty is over insure the engine. Car is fun to drive for sure

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Munkeylord posted:

Yea, dont do anything to it if it's under warranty. If you plan on keeping this vehicle for a while, after the warranty is over insure the engine. Car is fun to drive for sure

This isn't how car warranties work.

There is no conceivable way that installing mudflaps can be construed as a contributing cause to a future engine problem.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I just mean stuff to physically protect delicate bits.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Motronic posted:

This isn't how car warranties work.

There is no conceivable way that installing mudflaps can be construed as a contributing cause to a future engine problem.

I was referring to the Cobb access port thing

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I bought my car on May of 2014, it had an accessport by December of the same year. My dealership never gave me poo poo about it. In fact here's their website:

https://www.suburbansubaru.com/cobb-tuning.htm

Long story short find yourself a dealer who isn't afraid to touch and warranty modified cars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Munkeylord posted:

I was referring to the Cobb access port thing

Unless you do something fantastically stupid with it that is also not an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Rolo posted:

Do you mean sliding around on dirt roads? Maybe PPF around the lower body for rock chips, and a -1” wheel if you can fit it. Skid plates would be best if you are really going to send it. After that, a mild lift is starting to get drastic and will negatively affect handling to some extent on smooth roads. I don’t think a Forester is really any better prepped for dirt than an Impreza when it comes right down to it.

My Forester started making a rattling grinding noise last year and it got worse and worse. Eventually while running it on the lift I figure out it was coming from the center diff section, so today I yanked it out and cracked it open.

There’s the bitch. The small bearing for the jackshaft was pretty hosed, I think I will replace both of the bearings on it. It was leaking quite a bit around there too. The rest of the bearings, synchros, and gears all look and feel pretty good, so some fresh bearings and a reseal is in order. This stuff looks intimidating but it’s not that bad. I found with the LGT these trannies really come out pretty easily.