Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Vlaphor posted:

I may not know my electricity, but something about this feels off.

Wait is this in a loving junction box? Lolol amazing, hope you spent a few bucks more for a well-made PSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Vlaphor posted:

I may not know my electricity, but something about this feels off.

I have seen variations on this in several university and national labs. If you need a reasonably clean logic level supply that is controlled by something else you can spend a couple of thousand dollars on a keithley or a couple of bucks on parts and a beer for the lab tech to build it.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The real OSHA is the national labs not following OSHA lmao.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2s0efRvzF1qigfjt.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2s4suT3vF1r0uzl6.mp4

"Chinese soldiers demonstrate anti-armor 'techniques', 1980s"
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2oj6bJdfY1vmay6q.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 19, 2021

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing those were acrobats or stage performers and not soldiers based on their weird movements.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wiegieman posted:

What's the thought process for these people? Winning in the court of public opinion is nice, I guess, but that's not the court that will decide whether you're guilty of negligent homicide.

“If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts; if you have the law on your side, pound the law; if you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table.”

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

nomad2020 posted:

the top 3 layers were flow racks where the pallets are on little sleds and roll forward to meet you

This sounds like a terrible idea.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Source4Leko posted:

The real OSHA is the national labs not following OSHA lmao.

https://www.science.org/content/article/near-disaster-federal-nuclear-weapons-laboratory-takes-hidden-toll-america-s-arsenal

loving LANL, of course they'd pull this poo poo.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

There's being 'built like a brick shithouse' and then there's this guy.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

LANL related, My personal favorite smart people OSHA is 'Using kitty litter as a nuclear waste absorbent buffer is OK. Using the wrong kitty litter is very not ok:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/27/cat-litter-blamed-for-240m-radiation-leak-at-new-mexico-nuclear-waste-dump

e: For the actual report this is a fun read: https://www.wipp.energy.gov/Special/TECHNICAL_ASSESSMENT_TEAM_REPORT.pdf

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 19, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/1ovVfrO.gifv

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

There has GOT to be a better way!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

"help! help! help! oh hai."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Is "you're driving a car from the back seat" a common nightmare? 'cause I've had some myself, and so have a few people I know.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

StarkingBarfish posted:

I have seen variations on this in several university and national labs. If you need a reasonably clean logic level supply that is controlled by something else you can spend a couple of thousand dollars on a keithley or a couple of bucks on parts and a beer for the lab tech to build it.

Guilty as loving charged. I have four of those contraption in one of our labs :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kith posted:

Is "you're driving a car from the back seat" a common nightmare? 'cause I've had some myself, and so have a few people I know.

When I was driving a manual, I had dreams of the footwell being too narrow and not being able to fit my feet past each other to properly control all three pedals. Things like pushing the accelerator when trying to use the brakes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kith posted:

Yeah I’ve I had that one and talked with other people who have.

It’s an oddly specific thing for our sleeping brains to independently come up with.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Yeah I’ve I had that one and talked with other people who have.

It’s an oddly specific thing for our sleeping brains to independently come up with.

Stop watching Commando before bed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Antigravitas posted:

Guilty as loving charged. I have four of those contraption in one of our labs :v:

:same:

I try to use DIN mount supplies with actual names on them, but it's not always possible for every DC supply

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing those were acrobats or stage performers and not soldiers based on their weird movements.

almost certainly soldiers, but putting on a filmed show for propaganda purposes

you can get some weird jobs in the army, depending on what they need. russia's got a no-poo poo dance platoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2llGuuvjyQ

back in the 60s this group was around for propaganda to boost russian culture, and now i guess its just for tradition's sake? its cool anyway, better than this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRUImzd9FDo

e: also whatever this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLAGJcnpa8

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 19, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

When I was driving a manual, I had dreams of the footwell being too narrow and not being able to fit my feet past each other to properly control all three pedals. Things like pushing the accelerator when trying to use the brakes.

Uthor posted:

fit my feet past each other to properly control all three pedals

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Uthor posted:

Driving in the back seat with no pedals at all; sometimes it's no windows instead. I assume they're just those weirdly specific control dreams like the ones where your teeth fall out.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I know, loving idiots. There are 3 pedals, and we only got 2 feets, so we're hopelessly unable to properly operate a manual transmission even in the best of circumstances.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

I'm a die historic on the Fury road.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Kith posted:

Yeah when I was little, my variant was mom is suddenly gone so I get in the drivers seat and the road becomes a roller coaster and I'm driving on two itty bitty rails.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Uthor posted:

My dad has a '32 ford. If you drive it, your dreams can come true!

(not his)
My left food rides along the side of the footwell when I shift, my feet are touching when I'm on the brake and clutch at the same time. It sucks.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 19, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DandyLion posted:

I know, loving idiots. There are 3 pedals, and we only got 2 feets, so we're hopelessly unable to properly operate a manual transmission even in the best of circumstances.

Unless you were participating in WRC rally special stage, there really is no situation where you need to press brake and accelerator at the same time?

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Unless you were participating in WRC rally special stage, there really is no situation where you need to press brake and accelerator at the same time?

I do it all the time rev matching when downshifting.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Der Kyhe posted:

Um...of course there is. You're slowing down to make a turn (brake), you blip the gas pedal to match revs when you shift gears to accelerate out of the turn. Heel-toeing is a pretty basic skill.

Alternately you're driving my old '82 Supra in the winter and you need to give it some gas to keep it from stalling whenever the rpms approach idle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

My Cavalier had a software bug that would sometimes cause the engine to stall if I pressed the clutch in while the wheels were turning (it would idle fine once I came to a complete stop, went away with a computer reflash). I tried braking while being on the gas one time. My left foot was used to pressing the clutch to the floor, so I accidentally slammed on the brakes and was lucky not to get rear ended.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Uthor posted:

My Cavalier had a software bug that would sometimes cause the engine to stall if I pressed the clutch in while the wheels were turning (it would idle fine once I came to a complete stop, went away with a computer reflash). I tried braking while being on the gas one time. My left foot was used to pressing the clutch to the floor, so I accidentally slammed on the brakes and was lucky not to get rear ended.

It's more the other way around. You're on the brake and you use the side of your foot to your heel to just blip the gas just right. As the previous poster mentioned it's so you can have power out of the corner. Instead of shifting after you turn you do it before.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

I think there is maybe confusion here between left foot braking and heel toeing. When you heel toe it's all your right foot. Left foot braking is a whole different technique used for a different reason.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sisyphus tries co-op mode.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Stanky Bean posted:

I think there is maybe confusion here between left foot braking and heel toeing. When you heel toe it's all your right foot. Left foot braking is a whole different technique used for a different reason.

Yeah, and heel-toeing is fine and fun to do on public roads if you're otherwise driving safely. If you're left foot braking on public roads then you're sort of inherently driving unsafely.

I meant that in terms of the regular racing understanding of left foot braking but then I looked at the wiki page and found this which I had never heard of before.

quote:

However, some commentators do recommend left-foot braking as routine practice when driving vehicles fitted with an automatic transmission, when maneuvering at low speeds.[9]

Proponents of the technique note that in low-speed maneuvers, a driver of a vehicle with a manual transmission will usually keep a foot poised over the clutch pedal, ready to disengage power when the vehicle nears an obstacle. This means that disengagement is also possible in the event of malfunction such as an engine surge. However, the absence of a clutch pedal on a vehicle with automatic transmission means that there is no such safety override, unless the driver has a foot poised over the brake pedal.[9]

I guess that makes a little bit of sense but I imagine it still causes more problems than it solves by people getting their feet mixed up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I unironically love a good manual transmission derail.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Stanky Bean posted:

It's more the other way around. You're on the brake and you use the side of your foot to your heel to just blip the gas just right. As the previous poster mentioned it's so you can have power out of the corner. Instead of shifting after you turn you do it before.

Yeah, I never got the handle on heel-toe.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Aren't these things designed to withstand compressible forces since they're going to be put into the ground and have extra ground poured on top? Or am I confusing them with another type of identical concrete tube?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They are meant to be entirely surrounded by dirt, not have force applied at two opposite points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Phanatic posted:

Um...of course there is. You're slowing down to make a turn (brake), you blip the gas pedal to match revs when you shift gears to accelerate out of the turn. Heel-toeing is a pretty basic skill.
Or, you know, I let the syncromesh do it, because I don't actually enjoy driving. (Why do I drive a manual? Because my husband does enjoy driving.)