Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I don't think I've ever driven a car where that was true - I won't doubt that someone did it, but "many" doesn't sound right. Two centimeters / almost an inch sounds like a lot - has the car been in an accident?

I've "felt" this in things but never in my experience as much as Jeep YJs. It was just an awful offset and I just chalked it up to Chrysler not giving a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

Who do many cars have their steering wheel offset from the centerline of the drivers seat? I have a 2021 Hyundai Kona and the center of the steering wheel is about 2cm offset to the right of the centerline of the drivers seat, and it is really exhausting on my arms.

This rings a bell but I can't remember what vehicle it was. Maybe my 87 supra. I'd be surprised if it was actually 2cm, doesn't take much for your body to notice.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
I have a 2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport AWD with 86k miles. I have a round-trip of 180 mile commute a day.

I started to notice a drop of oil randomly on my garage floor. It appeared close to the oil drain plug, so I brought it in for an oil change. They said it is in fact not from the oil drain plug, but from the front differential which is not far from the oil drain plug. I checked it myself and yes...they appear to be correct.

Googling the issue, there are a decent amount of posts on the internet about the IS & GS with leaking front diffs.

What should my course of action be?

It is intermittent...sometimes it will go weeks without me seeing a drop, other times it will leak over the course of a day or 2. Usually the droplet i find on my garage floor is as big as a pencil eraser...the largest I saw was the size of a quarter and that only happened once.

Can these be re-gasketed/ o-ringed? or should I get an entirely new(remanufactured) front diff?

How urgent do you think it is that I get this taken care of since it's not gushing oil out. No irregular noises or gear whining yet.

and what should I expect cost to be? I am seeing prices from $800-2k.

Thankfully I have another car to drive in the meantime.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Some Guy From NY posted:

I have a 2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport AWD with 86k miles. I have a round-trip of 180 mile commute a day.

I started to notice a drop of oil randomly on my garage floor. It appeared close to the oil drain plug, so I brought it in for an oil change. They said it is in fact not from the oil drain plug, but from the front differential which is not far from the oil drain plug. I checked it myself and yes...they appear to be correct.

Googling the issue, there are a decent amount of posts on the internet about the IS & GS with leaking front diffs.

What should my course of action be?

It is intermittent...sometimes it will go weeks without me seeing a drop, other times it will leak over the course of a day or 2. Usually the droplet i find on my garage floor is as big as a pencil eraser...the largest I saw was the size of a quarter and that only happened once.

Can these be re-gasketed/ o-ringed? or should I get an entirely new(remanufactured) front diff?

How urgent do you think it is that I get this taken care of since it's not gushing oil out. No irregular noises or gear whining yet.

and what should I expect cost to be? I am seeing prices from $800-2k.

Thankfully I have another car to drive in the meantime.

It could be something as simple as an axle seal. I'd probably take it somewhere for further investigation and determine where the leak actually is.
It may (or may not be) leaking more as you drive you just don't notice because its on the road.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Where are the preferred places to get a rental these days? Trying to drive from LA to SF in mid january, and I want a non-shitbox to drive up the PCH.

Are the shortages still so bad that it’s “anything you can get”?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Where are the preferred places to get a rental these days? Trying to drive from LA to SF in mid january, and I want a non-shitbox to drive up the PCH.

Are the shortages still so bad that it’s “anything you can get”?

this far out you may be able to get a vette from hertz

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

It could be something as simple as an axle seal. I'd probably take it somewhere for further investigation and determine where the leak actually is.
It may (or may not be) leaking more as you drive you just don't notice because its on the road.

Welp I took it in for another opinion at a different shop. I was able to go under the car and see it. It is leaking where the front driveshaft enters the front differential, the seal is bad.

This mechanic said to call a transmission shop because it is out of his wheel house. he did look up the repair procedure........FULL ENGINE OUT. The driveshaft looks completely accessible from underneath to remove.

I called Lexus for shits and gigs.........$3900 "it's a huge job". He didn't think it was amusing when I said "what the gently caress, this isn't a Ferrari"

Now I have an appointment with a transmission shop next wednesday. Over the phone the guy said he looked it up too and it does say engine out with 12 hr book time, however he claims a lot of repairs call for engine out but they can do the repair without removing the engine.

I hope that is the case.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yep, step one is drain diff oil. Step two, remove engine.

It is interesting because it goes through basically a complete tear down of the diff checking clearances and wear patterns before getting to the seal section. So since yanking the engine is the second step listed and not going deeper into why it needs to be removed to do all that other stuff...maybe that's just the assumption on that's what needs to be done.

Looking at it, removing the prop shaft involves taking off the exhaust header and a bracket. In theory, should have enough room for a puller for the flange and there the seal sits, nothing special to remove or install it besides the usual tools. Maybe some casting on the block or something that doesn't allow enough room for the flange to be totally yanked out perhaps.

Anyways, good luck.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Powershift posted:

this far out you may be able to get a vette from hertz

Do they have actually good Vettes or are they the base base model? Do they or other non-Turo places have Mustang GT vs. the V6?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Do they have actually good Vettes or are they the base base model? Do they or other non-Turo places have Mustang GT vs. the V6?

base model C7s, which are still hella capable.

They also have guaranteed SS /GT/RT level muscle cars.

checking their website, they have a C63 AMG for 1300 a week but only 525 miles included. the muscle cars are unlimited.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

base model C7s, which are still hella capable.

They also have guaranteed SS /GT/RT level muscle cars.

checking their website, they have a C63 AMG for 1300 a week but only 525 miles included. the muscle cars are unlimited.

I was going to ask what they think a base level Corvette is, like a 4cyl with a CVT? I'm sure any base level Corvette of the last decade absolutely can rip up the PCH.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think I might have overtightened the oil filter on my 2008 Prius when I changed the oil this morning. Should I try to loosen it slightly (there's oil inside) or just fight with it when I change my oil in a year? (I don't drive that much)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I think I might have overtightened the oil filter on my 2008 Prius when I changed the oil this morning. Should I try to loosen it slightly (there's oil inside) or just fight with it when I change my oil in a year? (I don't drive that much)

Just leave it and it'll probably be fine when you go to change it later. Do you have a filter wrench just in case?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Just leave it and it'll probably be fine when you go to change it later. Do you have a filter wrench just in case?

Yeah, I have the kind that fits over the end of the filter like a gigantic socket. I have a bad feeling I'll have to macguyer it off with a monkey wrench and hammer next time. :doh:

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah just leave it. Otherwise you risk the gasket getting loose and you get an oil leak. As long as it wasn't too tight where the gasket was destroyed you should be fine. +1 to getting an oil filter wrench. I personally have one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/locking-oil-filter-wrench-63696.html

I like it because you can get a super tight grip on it and lock it in.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dammit I got another cyl 4 misfire code on the 2009 Toyota Matrix. I replaced coils and plugs a little while back and the code went away until this morning. I can hear a vacuum leak that I'm pretty sure is from the intake manifold but haven't tracked it down yet. Could a damaged intake manifold gasket in the cyl 4 spot cause a brief misfire that throws a code? The car runs and idles fine except when starting cold. I'm gonna get on this tonight and use the unlit propane torch test that someone itt suggested a couple weeks back, but any additional perspective would help. I will not be letting this problem persist any longer than necessary now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Dammit I got another cyl 4 misfire code on the 2009 Toyota Matrix. I replaced coils and plugs a little while back and the code went away until this morning. I can hear a vacuum leak that I'm pretty sure is from the intake manifold but haven't tracked it down yet. Could a damaged intake manifold gasket in the cyl 4 spot cause a brief misfire that throws a code? The car runs and idles fine except when starting cold. I'm gonna get on this tonight and use the unlit propane torch test that someone itt suggested a couple weeks back, but any additional perspective would help. I will not be letting this problem persist any longer than necessary now.

I wonder if an unmetered air issue could cause early plug fouling due to improper a:f, or yeah such bad a:f that you don't get ignition and you get a misfire on the next ignition stroke.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

VelociBacon posted:

They don't sell these where I live, only the strap kind - I really could have done with one, looks like a good idea

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

simplefish posted:

They don't sell these where I live, only the strap kind - I really could have done with one, looks like a good idea

Growing up I actually had a 4' long piece of skinny metal flat stock sharpened to a point on one end that my friends called the Device. One of the jobs that ended up falling to the Device was the removal of the oil filter in my 240sx at the time which I must have overtightened. I drove the Device through the center of it and used quite a lot of force to finally break it free, getting oil all over the place.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

VelociBacon posted:

I wonder if an unmetered air issue could cause early plug fouling due to improper a:f, or yeah such bad a:f that you don't get ignition and you get a misfire on the next ignition stroke.

Yes, exactly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yes, leaking intake manifold can definitely cause a miss. It's less than an hour of work to replace, and cheap enough that you can fire the parts cannon at it. Just make sure you leave the throttle body attached to the manifold (along with the coolant lines - but you do need to remove the electrical plug) - you don't have to deal with coolant that way.

Disconnect the battery while you do it too, that way the computer will be forced to re-learn fuel trims and idle.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
/Double checking this is the stupid question thread

2005 Honda Pilot but I've seen this on a lot of different cars:

It's right next to where the keys to the ignition go..what is it for? Why is it vented?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I could be wrong but I think this is a temperature sensor for measuring ambient air temp, for auto HVAC and other things?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bank posted:

/Double checking this is the stupid question thread

2005 Honda Pilot but I've seen this on a lot of different cars:

It's right next to where the keys to the ignition go..what is it for? Why is it vented?

I believe that is the temperature sensor for the climate control?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Inner Light posted:

I could be wrong but I think this is a temperature sensor for measuring ambient air temp, for auto HVAC and other things?

EngineerJoe posted:

I believe that is the temperature sensor for the climate control?

Huh..that totally makes sense. I always wondered where the temperature was polled. Thanks both!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a viewport for the mice living in your dashboard

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I have the kind that fits over the end of the filter like a gigantic socket. I have a bad feeling I'll have to macguyer it off with a monkey wrench and hammer next time. :doh:

If you've got the room to move them, a pair of these "chain vise grips" are the poo poo.

https://www.tekton.com/locking-chain-clamp-3960

Or some other brand of those. I use them to get stuck hydraulic filters off all the time. The rubber strap wrenches slip, oil filter wrenches bend and these fuckers laugh at them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

STR posted:

Yes, leaking intake manifold can definitely cause a miss. It's less than an hour of work to replace, and cheap enough that you can fire the parts cannon at it. Just make sure you leave the throttle body attached to the manifold (along with the coolant lines - but you do need to remove the electrical plug) - you don't have to deal with coolant that way.

Disconnect the battery while you do it too, that way the computer will be forced to re-learn fuel trims and idle.

Ok I picked up a gasket, and it came with a new throttle body gasket as well. If it doesn't look like too much of a hassle I'll replace that at the same time. Glad you said something about the coolant lines, because the first step in the Haynes manual is "drain coolant." No thanks.

Ah gently caress the fuel pressure relief is kind of involved. Oh well.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 20, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Should I be worried that there is oil in the intake manifold? Not a lot, just a film. Some on the pcv (?) nipples, some in the plenum, a little around the gasket.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Advice on sourcing tools/equipment to do basic mechanic work? I currently have basic hand tools, some Dewalt power tools, and a small socket set. Thinking about things like a jack, jack stands, impact sockets, torque wrench, etc. I'm in a major metro area so there's people selling stuff on Craigslist or FB marketplace or whatever, I just get nervous about buying somebody's second-hand jack stands from a safety perspective. Similar feelings about Harbor Freighting that stuff too. But it also feels pretty dumb to just plop hundreds of dollars down on brand new stuff, especially when I don't really know what I'm doing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Honestly, I'm using HF jack, ratchets, impact sockets, etc. I have an old Craftsman set of sockets or I'd be using HF sockets. Their torque wrenches are fine if you're not doing an engine rebuild. I have a name brand ecosystem for power tools and I would buy a different brand of stands (I don't have a recommendation here, I need to replace my HF set) and I don't trust HF hex sockets, but for basic stuff...

I'm of the "buy something nicer when you break it" and I've broken very little HF stuff. If it doesn't have a lot of moving parts and it won't kill you if it fails, don't see the point of spending more (as an occasional user).

I hear Husky is a pretty decent cheap alternative.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 20, 2021

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
HF stuff can be fine, but I personally wouldn't buy jack stands there. They had some safety recall not long ago. I don't think it's worth saving a few bucks on stands. Other stuff should be alright though.

Craigslist can be decent, but unfortunately a lot of people selling stolen poo poo nowadays.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have replaced the intake manifold gasket in the Matrix, and the misfire has not been fixed. The gasket did need replacement, but was still in one piece.
The engine hasn't coded again yet from just idling in the driveway, but I can still hear the vacuum leak so it's only a matter of time. I think I hear the leak somewhere around the bottom of the manifold, so now I'm starting to think the whole thing might be cracked. At this point I think it might be best to find a smoke machine rather than throwing more parts at it. From my experience changing the gasket, I think changing the whole manifold shouldn't be a terrible job, but I want to be certain. If it is cracked, it looks like a ~$200 part but they are not as common as I hoped.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So it hit a pothole on my 2021 Mazda3 Turbo AWD and trashed the front passenger tire.

Does the logic that you have to change all four tires at once apply to modern cars that are FWD 99% of the time and just engage the rear wheels when the front tires start slipping?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Should I be worried that there is oil in the intake manifold? Not a lot, just a film. Some on the pcv (?) nipples, some in the plenum, a little around the gasket.

No, that's typical.

aunt jenkins posted:

Advice on sourcing tools/equipment to do basic mechanic work? I currently have basic hand tools, some Dewalt power tools, and a small socket set. Thinking about things like a jack, jack stands, impact sockets, torque wrench, etc. I'm in a major metro area so there's people selling stuff on Craigslist or FB marketplace or whatever, I just get nervous about buying somebody's second-hand jack stands from a safety perspective. Similar feelings about Harbor Freighting that stuff too. But it also feels pretty dumb to just plop hundreds of dollars down on brand new stuff, especially when I don't really know what I'm doing.

Floor jacks can be tricky used unless you can actually test it with a load. Personally I'd spend the extra money on a HF Daytona - spending more than what those cost won't get you anything notable, spending less will show it. Jackstands I just wouldn't trust someone's used stands and good ones are not expensive.

Bouillon Rube posted:

So it hit a pothole on my 2021 Mazda3 Turbo AWD and trashed the front passenger tire.

Does the logic that you have to change all four tires at once apply to modern cars that are FWD 99% of the time and just engage the rear wheels when the front tires start slipping?

This depends entirely on two things. One, how worn are your tires? Two, what does the owner's manual say?

All AWD vehicles should have some mention in the owner's manual of an allowable tread difference between tires. On older purely mechanical systems this allowance is very small. On newer systems that are entirely computer-actuated there may be a surprising amount of leeway. In either case you'll need to measure the tread depth of your current tires, compare that to the tread depth of the same tire when new, and compare that difference to what the owner's manual says you can do.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

spending more than what those cost won't get you anything notable, spending less will show it.

You're speaking my language. Thanks!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, that's typical.

Floor jacks can be tricky used unless you can actually test it with a load. Personally I'd spend the extra money on a HF Daytona - spending more than what those cost won't get you anything notable, spending less will show it. Jackstands I just wouldn't trust someone's used stands and good ones are not expensive.

This depends entirely on two things. One, how worn are your tires? Two, what does the owner's manual say?

All AWD vehicles should have some mention in the owner's manual of an allowable tread difference between tires. On older purely mechanical systems this allowance is very small. On newer systems that are entirely computer-actuated there may be a surprising amount of leeway. In either case you'll need to measure the tread depth of your current tires, compare that to the tread depth of the same tire when new, and compare that difference to what the owner's manual says you can do.

Mazda doesn’t offer any thresholds…thry just say that you have to replace all tires at once. But I don’t necessarily buy that, since there is always going to be some variation in the tread depths of your tires unless you’re super anal about getting rotations done (which I can’t imagine most people are)

My depths are:

Front driver: 6/32
Rear driver: 8/32
Rear passenger: 7/32
And it looks like the OEM Bridgestone is 10/32

So that would put a 4/32 delta between a brand new tire and the most worn one, or a .25 inch gap in circumference I think? Which is the max that Subaru recommends if that makes any difference.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 21, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have replaced the intake manifold gasket in the Matrix, and the misfire has not been fixed. The gasket did need replacement, but was still in one piece.
The engine hasn't coded again yet from just idling in the driveway, but I can still hear the vacuum leak so it's only a matter of time. I think I hear the leak somewhere around the bottom of the manifold, so now I'm starting to think the whole thing might be cracked. At this point I think it might be best to find a smoke machine rather than throwing more parts at it. From my experience changing the gasket, I think changing the whole manifold shouldn't be a terrible job, but I want to be certain. If it is cracked, it looks like a ~$200 part but they are not as common as I hoped.

Corollas of a similar vintage have the same manifold.

And yeah, smoke machine time. The intakes can crack - not often, but it can happen. Check your PCV lines first, along with your brake booster and evap lines (both connect to the manifold after the throttle body). If you do have to replace it, you've already experienced almost all of the work involved - there's just a few vacuum lines to remove on top of what you've already done.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

My 2011 Forte with 226k km needs calipers all around according to the dealer. Usually I’d be sceptical of the dealer, but I went in for a transmission fluid change and they guy said “don’t bother, just buy another car”. Never offered me a sales rep or anything, didn’t really seem to care to sell me a new one, just didn’t want me to waste money on maintenance, or so he said. I was also looking fairly rough coming from work so it might have been genuine.

Fronts are seized causing blueing (I’m told):

Rears are seized causing record grooves (I’m also told):

I can buy calipers for $500, but would need to replace pads and rotors as well as apparently they’re all messed up from being dragged constantly. They also said to change out the flex lines.

My midpipe is super worn, and I’m told I also have an oil leak from a silicone gasket on top of the engine(?). Also front suspension bushings need replacing as they’re drying out and separating from housing.

My question is: fix it, limp it through the winter so prices might come down, or buy another car now?

I don’t know how to do any of this stuff so I’d be paying a local guy to do the labour. I don’t have a garage so all I ever do is change tires.

Edit: imgur doesn’t like me I guess. Posting from the app, sorry no photos

Edit2: I made an album so you can tell me the dealer was lying about the flex lines probably

https://imgur.com/a/50GueGJ

a primate fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What’s your financial situation and what’s the best outcome for you?

A lot of this is just routine things that need to be done on a vehicle this age.

How’s the rest of the car?

I’m on the fence on what to recommend. Paying shop prices to get all this work done is going to be expensive. If you could do this yourself I’d go that way but that’s not an option.

Prices aren’t going to go down anytime soon. If you were going to to replace the car soon anyway I’d go ahead and do that. If you need the car to last a little longer that’s doable. If I was just trying to make it a few months I’d look at replacing the lube in the caliper slide pins and try to unstick them, maybe slap a cheap set of pads on there depending on what the existing pads look like.

I live in the southern US and I’ve heard the cold north is hell on cars. Down here there’s lots of life left in a 2011 even with 140k miles. Not sure how the overall condition of your car is. If it’s all rusted and in not great shape you may be better off replacing it.