Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol can someone spell it out for me how to get to this quest marker? I am so lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Tarukaja is extremely good. Even before the ma upgrades. Also you should've had access to matarukaja for awhile. King frost at least has it for sure. Especially if your hitting weakness the damage boost is noticeable. And given the proliferation of attack items you should always be able to act eight turns during bosses so spending one to increase damage for six damage instances per cast is just mathematically better than doing a basic attack or even hitting weakness

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I don't know what strategy you're using for bosses but if I have one or two designated attackers, that's usually 3-4 support spells per turn, definitely seems more effective than trying to have 4 unbuffed attackers

I missed KF until I was done with he world and way outside his level. I got him now, though.

And skill slots are way too limited to waste on Tarukaja or Sukukaja. For a decent chunk of the last world I had only five skill slots and demons come with a mandatory 2-3 skills which means when fusing I can only transfer 2-3 skills I want. It's far more important I spend it on vital passives than Tarukaja.

I have three attackers generally and a healer/debuffer maybe with some damage of their own and it has worked fine.

Point is, buffs are totally unnecessary so far, even Rakukaja, and even on Hard. Contrast with (early) Nocturne or IVA. where they are essential.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 19, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can use essences to rearrange nearly any demons whole skill playbook

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

You can use essences to rearrange nearly any demons whole skill playbook

Sure but I counted and I have a total of 3 Essences with Tarukaja. Not exactly like I can just spam it.

But hey, they're there if I ever actually need them, I guess.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I said come in! posted:

lol can someone spell it out for me how to get to this quest marker? I am so lost.

There's a path to it through the upper left corner. This one took me a while to figure out too.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How do you guys keep up your mp? i am struggling to beat this boss with multiple body parts (and presumably a main part later on)

there are so few mp restoring items in this game that i have found so far. i have had like 5 chakra drops total all game, and no pots or somas that i can find

tried mana wellspring and that's not really letting me survive much longer anyway, but the boss has so much hp per part that i don't see a way through

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First always check the Navi spots to get more drops.

Second have a strong back row.

third for that boss focus fire instead of spreading damage.

Fourth, abuse damage items like crazy

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you're running out of gas in the first phase it's probably more a sign of a problem with your team. You might be too low level, you might need demons that can hit its weaknesses more or at least just dump more damage, you might need to cover your own weaknesses better so you spend less time healing, etc.

But in general keep in mind that a demon swapping out for another demon is a half action, so one surprisingly good way to deal with restoring MP is to not to- run a demon out of gas and then tag in a replacement with a full tank and repeat

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Miracle to give Demons the ability to use items. Proficiency for your main attacks. Find an essence with restore on it (later greater restore), maybe mana surge so it lasts longer. But all in all especially in hard, chances are you're going to reach your MP limit in boss fights.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Does this series ever really dwell on why dudes like Finn or Siegfried, whose lore indicates that they were heroic but still human people, and outright historical figures like Cleopatra are demons now?
Not minor ones either, they're quite beefy on the level scale.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah their legend transcends their humanity.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Artelier posted:

How do you guys keep up your mp? i am struggling to beat this boss with multiple body parts (and presumably a main part later on)

there are so few mp restoring items in this game that i have found so far. i have had like 5 chakra drops total all game, and no pots or somas that i can find

tried mana wellspring and that's not really letting me survive much longer anyway, but the boss has so much hp per part that i don't see a way through

that fight is like, the one spot in the game where aoe skills actually shine. If you try to take the body parts on one by one you'll run out of mp, just like you saw.

e: King Frost can be excellent there because his special skill is mabufula+marakunda, which really helps the damage flow

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Artelier posted:

My team for that fight was Moh Shuvuu and Thoth laying the beating while I chucked Light Shards. You'll want Force Pleroma on Moh if you can.

Be aware Pleroma is pretty vital here on out. It isn't just enough to exploit weaknesses, you'll want to ensure you are doing as much damage as you can, and that means pairing your ForceLight attacks with Force/Light Pleroma.

It's part of why I've always been underwhelmed by Almighty attacks outside of I guess Strnge Journey. There is no Almighty Pleroma so they never gt the elemental boosts and actually do les damage. Coupled with the fact some bosses resist Almighty (the stupidest loving thing ever, by the way. It makes Almighty even less special) and I just rarely bother.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 19, 2021

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah their legend transcends their humanity.

So it's not that this is suppose to actually be Cleopatra VII, who banged Mark Anthony and all that jazz, but a sort of popular consensus of her made manifest?

And that also gave her a multi snake arm?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah

That's how all the demons are. Their created from human belief

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
That is disappointing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That is explicitly not the lore for demons in smt5, as far as I can tell, where they're all old gods who have existed longer than humans. I think the answer is "don't worry about it"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah there's just a stable of pokemon they've built up over the previous games and they appear again even if it doesn't make lore sense anymore

Speaking of, are any demons new to smtv?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah there's just a stable of pokemon they've built up over the previous games and they appear again even if it doesn't make lore sense anymore

Yeah half the waifu bait ones

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yeah. Cironoppu and Idun, off the top of my head. Probably more.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

A few. Fionn mac Cumhail and Loup-garou seem to have debuted here I think. Hydra apparently was in Devil Children or something but gently caress they have a completely different design so close enough.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 19, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chinrnoppu is from apocalypse

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Sure but I counted and I have a total of 3 Essences with Tarukaja. Not exactly like I can just spam it.

But hey, they're there if I ever actually need them, I guess.

Why not?

Remember that when you use an Essence your demon retains that skill to pass down to others in fusion. The only reason you'd need another is if you somehow fuse it all away before you get an upgrade or better version.

Nothing in the game except maybe Aogami Essences is hard to replace. There is no reason to hold onto stuff because you'll just end up with level 10 essences you'll never ever use.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wow my reward for killing the four heavenly beasts is a fight thirty levels above me lol, don't think I can pull this one off guys

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Wow my reward for killing the four heavenly beasts is a fight thirty levels above me lol, don't think I can pull this one off guys

It's worth pulling it off as soon as you can!

His essence Resists almost every element so it becomes trivial to cover those gaps and have a protagonist who is absurdly tanky.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's worth pulling it off as soon as you can!

His essence Resists almost every element so it becomes trivial to cover those gaps and have a protagonist who is absurdly tanky.

I'm only level forty. I have no idea how everyone else is so high leveled

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
A lot of historical figures are more mythical in peoples' popular understanding of them than the reality, so I feel that certain ones become fair game in a way, due to just how fictionalized they can become. The demon is not the actual person but the legendary figure that people created in that time and was thus passed down via cultural memesis or whatever. They've had things like Mad Gasser, or Joan D'Arc, etc. before.
It works better in Persona than in the rest of the MegaTen but hey.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Christine is a demon in megaten

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was lame to not have Chemtrail in this game. Good rear end design, want to see that guy running around in 3D

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

A lot of historical figures are more mythical in peoples' popular understanding of them than the reality, so I feel that certain ones become fair game in a way, due to just how fictionalized they can become. The demon is not the actual person but the legendary figure that people created in that time and was thus passed down via cultural memesis or whatever. They've had things like Mad Gasser, or Joan D'Arc, etc. before.
It works better in Persona than in the rest of the MegaTen but hey.

Yeah, any historical figure who appears is not the actual person but a fictionalized version of them created in the mind of people who eventually took on form. SMTV basically treats them all as variations on gods and mythological beings because... honestly, they are. Like many historical myths there was probably some basis in reality that got twisted over time into the form they exist in now.

The way SMTV handles them is merely that YHWH did not allow anyone to ascend to godhood and thus everything is something lesser then they could be. It's not clear if 'newer' Gods would have what they need to Nahabino but it also probably isn't relevant because not every old god was going to be a Zeus or Odin.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gaius Marius posted:

Christine is a demon in megaten

Carrie, sadly, remains exclusive to Persona 1

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Manananggal is new

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think Chemtrail is my favorite out there concept for a demon, both in referencing the conspiracy theory, and because I think the design is rad.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

chemtrail rules

they should've kept patriot in too

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Where’s my George Washington demon

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He's stuck in the USA.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think that evil teddy bear is new.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Soul hackers

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think that evil teddy bear is new.

Bugs debuted as a stuffed bear in Soul Hackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I am liking this game so far, even if I am really bad at it and had to set difficulty to Normal.

The macca costs for compendium summoning sure went up though. I figured I could gently caress around with the early demons to spread abilities around but summoning the level 5 Pixie costs literally all my saved up money and I am too dumb to figure out how to get more essences. :smith: