Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can read a ton of it for free on the author's Instagram too, including all of Crisis Zone. Outside of Crisis Zone you can just read whichever strips come up. It is an amazing comic, but it's... an acquired taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

If I didn’t have a small child and a wife that would need explaining to I’d totally be on that.

As much as I love Megg Mogg and Owl that's probably a good life choice you're making.

No child should be exposed to anything involving Werewolf Jones.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
MMO in general is great and crisis zone was fantastic. Reading it as it was being released live was a hell of a trip

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Birdgirl was great and I recommend everyone who liked Harvery Birdman to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xiPPAFg5_4

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bedlam posted:

Birdgirl was great and I recommend everyone who liked Harvery Birdman to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xiPPAFg5_4

I didn't like it at first, but by the end of the season it had really grown on me and I thought it found its groove.

Anyone know if it's getting a second season?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyone know if it's getting a second season?

Kether Donohue (Gilliam's VA) confirmed in October that it was renewed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mokinokaro posted:

Kether Donohue (Gilliam's VA) confirmed in October that it was renewed.

Thank you!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just watched the first episode of Arkane and HOLY poo poo this is incredible. It reminds of the first season of Sex Love and Robots, it’s just stunning to watch.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

The French studio they have doing the animation is amazing. I hope the next league series they make doesn't take as long to make.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I can't bring myself to watch Arcane. I just can't.

This is made by the loving Riot Games people. Even by gaming industry standards, these people are bad.

At least Centaurworld is coming back soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEXZ2S1bZxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hw5RmCKZA8

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s made by a French animation studio that partnered with Riot to tell these stories and it’s some of the highest quality animated content out there.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So I guess the money doesn't go in Riot's pockets. Or rather, it already did because the French studio paid for the privilege to use Riot's IP.

I... don't know if I can watch it still. I've read so many horror stories about what happened in that company, it kind of poisoned the well.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Riot has spent the last five years pretty much being as transparent as possible and trying real hard to shed the blight that it itself has put forward. Valorant was only made because they gave one of the lead designers the capability to do so and she ran with it.

Unless you aren't talking about the single lawsuit against one individual and are more talking about stealing Dota All Stars website and being twats about that in which lmao dude that was over a decade ago and you need to get over it. (And the person involved with that is gone)

Riot still has a long way to go in improving it's image but it's actually taking the steps to do so unlike Blizzard that is doubling down and being worse. ((And also Blizzard was a company-wide corporate culture thing and from all reports from devs inside of Riot nothing comes close to the Blizzard stuff)) I'm not defending Riot here, they still have a long way to go before I consider them 'good' but the products are fine and Arcane is legitimately good and you are robbing yourself of experiencing it.

Edit; They've consistently tried to fix the League toxicity problem and their automatic ban for alt-right bullshit is pretty good. They consistently push towards LGBTQA+ charities and have in-game events for people to get in-game rewards for that support. They've fired people for the abuse and they've promoted and hired in the right direction. If this was 2012 or 2016 I would agree with you, but they've actively moved forward and are taking the steps to improve. Which is good and again: better than what Ubisoft/Activision-Blizzard has done.

Asema fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 18, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

paradoxGentleman posted:

So I guess the money doesn't go in Riot's pockets. Or rather, it already did because the French studio paid for the privilege to use Riot's IP.

I... don't know if I can watch it still. I've read so many horror stories about what happened in that company, it kind of poisoned the well.

Riot paid the company to make the animation. It’s effectively a giant advertisement for Riot. They have more money than god and are spending it by the bucket full right now. They’re paying for Fortnite and MTG content for Arcane.

This is what it looks like when a company decides to spend an absurd amount of money preparing to announce their new MMO.

Personally if I was to pick a reason to not support Riot (and Asema has gone over the work they’ve done since the Lawsuit, mind it’s still ongoing because they attempted to lowball the compensation they were paying female employees for unequal pay) I would pick the fact that they’re owned by Tencent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Asema posted:

Riot has spent the last five years pretty much being as transparent as possible and trying real hard to shed the blight that it itself has put forward. Valorant was only made because they gave one of the lead designers the capability to do so and she ran with it.

Unless you aren't talking about the single lawsuit against one individual and are more talking about stealing Dota All Stars website and being twats about that in which lmao dude that was over a decade ago and you need to get over it. (And the person involved with that is gone)

Riot still has a long way to go in improving it's image but it's actually taking the steps to do so unlike Blizzard that is doubling down and being worse. ((And also Blizzard was a company-wide corporate culture thing and from all reports from devs inside of Riot nothing comes close to the Blizzard stuff)) I'm not defending Riot here, they still have a long way to go before I consider them 'good' but the products are fine and Arcane is legitimately good and you are robbing yourself of experiencing it.

Edit; They've consistently tried to fix the League toxicity problem and their automatic ban for alt-right bullshit is pretty good. They consistently push towards LGBTQA+ charities and have in-game events for people to get in-game rewards for that support. They've fired people for the abuse and they've promoted and hired in the right direction. If this was 2012 or 2016 I would agree with you, but they've actively moved forward and are taking the steps to improve. Which is good and again: better than what Ubisoft/Activision-Blizzard has done.
ahuh.

they fire Scott Gelb yet? no? okay

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

we're all about bettering ourselves, except when it comes to holding our highest people accountable. you get a slap on the wrist mister. no more going up to employees and dry humping them, or grabbing people's balls! we mean it this time!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord_Magmar posted:

Riot paid the company to make the animation. It’s effectively a giant advertisement for Riot. They have more money than god and are spending it by the bucket full right now. They’re paying for Fortnite and MTG content for Arcane.

This is what it looks like when a company decides to spend an absurd amount of money preparing to announce their new MMO.

Personally if I was to pick a reason to not support Riot (and Asema has gone over the work they’ve done since the Lawsuit, mind it’s still ongoing because they attempted to lowball the compensation they were paying female employees for unequal pay) I would pick the fact that they’re owned by Tencent.

That MMO is either going to have such a great running start or absolutely fall on its face and be a laughing stock like New World.

But after Runeterra/Wild Rift/Valorant as well as all the world-building that they've done with Arcane + LoR there's a little bit of trust there.

Again: I'm not saying you have invalid reasons to not wanting to support Riot and I'm also not fully defending them here. If you don't feel comfortable with it then by all means that's perfectly okay. But I also believe that people can change and have to prove that they've understood why they've needed to change. And over the last five years it seems that the people running Riot have seen that. Could that just be a huge marketing thing and they actually haven't? Absolutely. But there's a lot of employees at Riot and from everything they've said it's made working there much better and they've been given proper chances to improve their career. The only reason we really know that Blizzard doesn't pay poo poo is because Riot employees were openly talking about their salary throughout their career (and some of them were former-Blizzard employees)

The 7th Guest posted:

we're all about bettering ourselves, except when it comes to holding our highest people accountable. you get a slap on the wrist mister. no more going up to employees and dry humping them, or grabbing people's balls! we mean it this time!

They suspended him, brought in a third party investigation to go along with their investigation and then did what that third party recommended which was time-served for the suspension, additional training, and pretty much a next time you're gone situation. There were some employees that wanted him gone and there was a walk out over it and every report out since then has been positive by numerous different employees. Which I will take at face value any day over somebody who's not attached to it all.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If a top-ranking executive grabbed my genitals I would not be okay with any suspension served that wasn't permanent and immediate. That they just gave him a two month vacation and he's in the same exact position, is a loving joke. we're not going to see eye to eye on this one, I think

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

/\/\
Wasn't the 2 month suspension without pay? Which is a little worse than a vacation, but yea I doubt some dumbass guy thats been with RIOT forever is actually that good as a COO or whatever to warrant keeping around.

i think its fine if your own personal convictions stop you from wanting to enjoy something. I too enjoy boycotting various things due to personal conviction. That being said, a lot of the best stuff RIOT does is due to the hard work of gender & racially diverse teams and its a shame you can't enjoy a phenomenal animated show due to the association with RIOT as a parent company. There would be very few video games to play if you boycotted them off of the actions of upper management, as most game studios are embroiled or have been embroiled in grotesque scandal.

On the things I am not hypocritically boycotting I tend to look at it as supporting the lil people who did all the actual work. Arcane is a product of a niche team inside RIOT and I want to support their efforts.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The general impression I get is that employees are afraid of speaking up against their bosses for fear of repercussions. I'm glad that they're doing those things for LGBTQA+ folks, but like... this article, the standout one I was thinking of, isn't from 2012 or 2016, it's from 2018.
https://kotaku.com/inside-the-culture-of-sexism-at-riot-games-1828165483

It doesn't seem like a problem that's all in the past?

And apparently they're still trying to cover up the traces of how much poo poo, exactly, they've done: https://kotaku.com/riot-is-still-delaying-harassment-investigation-califo-1847497918

Look. I know there's no ethical consumption under capitalism. All I wanted to say that this thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth and therefore I'm not going to watch it. It doesn't feel like an unreasonable take to me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's nothing wrong with personal boycotts. Anyone on Arcane is already paid a salary, and Riot is throwing endless money at these projects to boost the brand's visibility, I don't think you have to worry about your indirect action having any particular consequence, it's just 1 less view to Netflix's stats. It's good to have a moral framework and boundaries, regardless of ethics under capitalism.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Asema posted:

They suspended him, brought in a third party investigation to go along with their investigation and then did what that third party recommended which was time-served for the suspension, additional training, and pretty much a next time you're gone situation. There were some employees that wanted him gone and there was a walk out over it and every report out since then has been positive by numerous different employees. Which I will take at face value any day over somebody who's not attached to it all.

Scott Gelb is a C level executive who made such a common habit of farting in employee's faces, grabbing their genitalia and dry humping them that it was considered a normal part of the working environment. He is still one of the highest paid and most powerful people in the company. When this first came out, Riot's approach was blanket denial before changing tactics and sending him on a two month unpaid suspension.

quote:

Several current Riot employees interviewed by Kotaku are furious about Riot’s response to its COO’s conduct. “I think it’s pretty telling that Riot’s commitment to changing their culture only goes as far as firing people who aren’t already insulated from the repercussions of that culture,” said one, who is anonymous for fear of repercussions. “For Riot leadership, protecting their awful friends matters more than protecting their vulnerable employees. And that isn’t going to change unless the workers do something about it directly.” One other current employee described the two-month unpaid leave and training as “a tiny slap on the wrist. . . I think this is also not respectful towards people that were hurt or offended by his behavior.”

Another current employee, who believes that Gelb should be “demoted or outright fired,” told Kotaku that unpaid leave may barely feel like punishment to somebody who likely made loads of money off his early involvement in Riot. On top of that, she added, “This person is in charge of a lot of people and it’s clear that he has giant lapses in judgment. . . I would say across the board it’s pretty unsatisfying.”

I'm not going to comment directly on your post, I just wanted to provide context for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
None of the money you gave Netflix is the money that Riot is getting, voting with your wallet doesn’t really make sense most of the time and while I admire your commitment to hating an evil company, you’re just kind of depriving yourself of a cool thing needlessly because either way the money has changed hands, the cartoon exists, and whether or not you watch it will impact their bottom line about as much as this post.

Like, couldn’t you just as easily apply the exact same logic to the something awful forums?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Scott Gelb is a C level executive who made such a common habit of farting in employee's faces, grabbing their genitalia and dry humping them that it was considered a normal part of the working environment.

What the gently caress, how do these kinds of maniacs keep getting positions of power at game development companies?

Who's hiring these horrible men?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If it bothers you for moral reasons that will distract you while watching piracy is still a thing. Unless you are grabbing it from a very public tracker they have no way to count your view. Or you could just stream it since you already have the subscription.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

None of the money you gave Netflix is the money that Riot is getting, voting with your wallet doesn’t really make sense most of the time and while I admire your commitment to hating an evil company, you’re just kind of depriving yourself of a cool thing needlessly because either way the money has changed hands, the cartoon exists, and whether or not you watch it will impact their bottom line about as much as this post.

Like, couldn’t you just as easily apply the exact same logic to the something awful forums?
It also shouldn't bother you if someone chooses not to watch a show for any reason... idk why someone saying they can't bring themselves to watch a show for personal/moral reasons causes people to try to guilt them??

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bust Rodd posted:

Think of it this way. Some people can eat nestle bars and enjoy them because they're tasty. Some people can't even look at a nestle bar without thinking of child labor, the horrifying child murder they were responsible for with their formula propaganda, price fixing, mislabeling, toxic waste, etc. They're not depriving themselves of anything, the nestle bar is gross. Not because it tastes bad, but because of what it took to make it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Think of it this way. Some people can eat nestle bars and enjoy them because they're tasty. Some people can't even look at a nestle bar without thinking of child labor, the horrifying child murder they were responsible for with their formula propaganda, price fixing, mislabeling, toxic waste, etc. They're not depriving themselves of anything, the nestle bar is gross. Not because it tastes bad, but because of what it took to make it.

This imaginary Nestle hating strawman wouldn’t be able to function in our society, as Google and Apple and Amazon and YouTube are just as evil in every appreciable way. They would have to be a hermit deprived of literally all media on all platforms to escape this kind of thing, like the wild-born man in Brave New World.

It’s ok to have personal prejudices but there is literally no ethical consumption under capitalism so don’t try to paint it like determining which of your Netflix dollars goes where actually matters. If you paid for Netflix in the last 6 months, you’ve basically already given Riot your money, and may as well watch it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s ok to have personal prejudices but there is literally no ethical consumption under capitalism so don’t try to paint it like determining which of your Netflix dollars goes where actually matters. If you paid for Netflix in the last 6 months, you’ve basically already given Riot your money, and may as well watch it.

When did I paint such a picture? When did anyone in this thread? It's not about pragmatism, it's about moral revulsion. It's not necessarily practical and it doesn't have to be for you to respect it.

I avoid nestle products because I find them morally revolting. I'm not consistent about it, and I don't think i'm changing the world by doing it, I just see the word "nestle" and think "yuck"

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 18, 2021

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What the gently caress, how do these kinds of maniacs keep getting positions of power at game development companies?

Who's hiring these horrible men?

Other horrible men who have an interest in keeping things horrible so their horribleness goes unchallenged, as it is the "norm".

Bust Rodd posted:

I realize all of this, but in the back of my head there's going to be the insistent voice of "this is set in the world made by that lovely lovely company, remember that?" and it's going to ruin the experience for me.

Like, that entire setting is a poisoned well for me.

I don't want to paint people who just want to get some serotonin via animated characters badly, I just wanted to express how I felt about it.

In the immortal words of the most important character in Centaurworld: "None of us can be comfortable, until we are all comfortable. And Doug."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

have i mentioned that i am looking forward to centaurworld s2 yet

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The 7th Guest posted:

It also shouldn't bother you if someone chooses not to watch a show for any reason... idk why someone saying they can't bring themselves to watch a show for personal/moral reasons causes people to try to guilt them??

I have said numerous times that they are free to do with what they are and I was just wondering why friend and I explained that there has been numerous examples coming out since a lot of this has came out that I trust the actual devs inside to see they are attempting positive change. I am not hand waving or writing off everything Riot has done and I've used specific language to say that they are not in the clear or should be considered good with a pat on the back.

To answer the question about "how do these men keep doing this" it's an industry thing. And not just the gaming industry thing either*. I hope the user who's upset with Riot also boycotts Ubisoft and Activision-Blizzard games too, and maybe doesn't consume Disney media but at that point it's just me being petty.

*The farting and ball grabbing I've legitimately seen at my software company and while it made me uncomfortable to watch when I went to HR I got told "unless you were affected then I can't do anything, they would need to come forward themselves" and when I told the person that it was "oh we were just joking around" but then again this is the same HR system that told me I was being too emotional when a boss had an entire conference room partake in "cis or trans" with the "joke" being they were all trans women and making fun of the people who said they were cis (in a ha-ha 'you are so gay!' way). At the time this was a high-profile software company in which I was a developer at :')

Asema fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 18, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
how are you simultaneously a victim of this behavior and an ardent defender of the people who inflict it on others?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

how are you simultaneously a victim of this behavior and an ardent defender of the people who inflict it on others?

because I don't think I'm an ardent defender? I am in no way excusing the things that have happened but I'm also super naive enough to hope that people can change and that they need to prove that they changed so that I'm not consistently burning as many bridges as possible.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Asema posted:

they need to prove that they changed

This is the part I'm missing, then. Whatever Riot says or does, Scott Gelb is still doing exactly the same job he always has been. Riot Games made an extremely clear decision that the comfort of their COO was more important than the dozens of employees who walked out. They are STILL forcing arbitration, the same way they did for years to cover up his behavior, despite "providing the choice to opt out" in response to the protest.

If you have evidence to present, then present it. I'll warn you that anecdotes about devs being happy at their jobs at Riot aren't particularly relevant.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Boy you folks are in for a bad time when you find out about working conditions and culture of most animation houses.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This is the part I'm missing, then. Whatever Riot says or does, Scott Gelb is still doing exactly the same job he always has been. Riot Games made an extremely clear decision that the comfort of their COO was more important than the dozens of employees who walked out. They are STILL forcing arbitration, the same way they did for years to cover up his behavior, despite "providing the choice to opt out" in response to the protest.

If you have evidence to present, then present it. I'll warn you that anecdotes about devs being happy at their jobs at Riot aren't particularly relevant.

They've actually started posting a lot of diversity reports when it comes to things that they are changing, and they can pretty much be found here:

https://www.riotgames.com/en/diversity-inclusion-and-culture

All I can really go on is what they give and what the peers in the industry go off of. Like I said before these are good first steps and I'm in no way shape or form saying "it's been solved! Guilt Free enjoyment of product!" here but it's always nice to see. When the Blizzard news came out a lot of the Riot employees opened up more and talked through and reached out to those Blizzard employees and helped in different ways. (Except Ghostcrawler who dug a hole so deep that I think he's still talking to the earth)

One portion of 'cancelling' or calling out bad behavior is seeing them improve and learn from it. If you close yourself off and never let somebody show you that they change then there is no reason for them to change in the first place and just cause hatred on all sides and that doesn't really help much in today's climate.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Warbird posted:

Boy you folks are in for a bad time when you find out about working conditions and culture of most animation houses.

Hey at least there's anime - oh no

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
If it makes you feel better just remind yourself that these things happen because governments actively enable corporations to exploit their employees and that there's very little that you can do to change anything because individual consumer choice is not a substitute for public policy.

Wait... That doesn't make me feel better at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Asema posted:

One portion of 'cancelling' or calling out bad behavior is seeing them improve and learn from it. If you close yourself off and never let somebody show you that they change then there is no reason for them to change in the first place and just cause hatred on all sides and that doesn't really help much in today's climate.

there's a difference between a somebody and a corporation