Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
when the podcast no longer has a woman on it to get mad at, this thread has no choice but to create one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What anti-Vaxx poo poo is Taibbi saying?

Brother Grim
Nov 16, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Both GG and now Taibbi are using their platforms to either push anti-vaxx poo poo or are ‘just asking questions’ about things like the horse paste

which is why the [it's only a grift if theyre selling brain pills] take is some scalia level [its only bribery if theres a suitcase of money involved] idiocy

Brother Grim fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 18, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

little munchkin posted:

when the podcast no longer has a woman on it to get mad at, this thread has no choice but to create one
It's been a long wait for Virgil to emerge from the catgirl transformation chamber.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Heath posted:

dialog, you nitwit
What's the over-under on him having looked up the definition of "remiss" to make sure he was using it right?
lol maybe you ought to google words before you use them. I dont have to, cause I know what they mean AND how theyre spelled

Heath posted:

Edit: it's also worth noting that the only person to agree with you is the guy who thinks the dictionary isn't real

Again, you fail to understand what people are saying. No one thinks the dictionary isnt real, they said it isnt the arbiter of the meaning of words. You can certainly find a dictionary online (even ones that say "In politics, the word refers to people who use the political process as a way to enrich themselves." by the way)
You seem really fixated on rigid structures or authoritative definitions, how do you feel about personal pronouns?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

He said some dumb poo poo about the brouhaha over ivermectin but it wasn't an endorsement of horse dewormer if I remember right.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Bust Rodd posted:

basically like "it's bad that people are getting banned because they posted about medical studies"

note that he also said this months before the horse paste meme started, not in response to the discourse

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Both GG and now Taibbi are using their platforms to either push anti-vaxx poo poo or are ‘just asking questions’ about things like the horse paste

Being a moron is not a grift

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Being a moron is not a grift

it's this, this isn't a complex thing. Both those guys are dumb libertarian assholes who probably genuinely believe the dumb poo poo they're saying.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I dunno, I tend to associate grifting with morons who have no real intellect or experience but who can foghorn a simple and empty talking-point on twitter to get an instant audience they can leverage to piss out and sell a ghost-written book before cruising on the speaking circuit to repeatedly honk out the same empty talking points.

Candace Owens = Grifter
Andrew Sullivan = not grifter

I dont know any left-wing grifters, i'm sure theres a bunch

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Simiain posted:

I dunno, I tend to associate grifting with morons who have no real intellect or experience but who can foghorn a simple and empty talking-point on twitter to get an instant audience they can leverage to piss out and sell a ghost-written book before cruising on the speaking circuit to repeatedly honk out the same empty talking points.

Candace Owens = Grifter
Andrew Sullivan = not grifter

I dont know any left-wing grifters, i'm sure theres a bunch

yea, Owens is a grifter because she was literally an 'SJW' until she got bullied for having a stupid idea (she wanted to make some kind of dumb real ID thing for social media) and then she just instantly pivoted to 'wow THE LEFT sure is evil and cruel (even though this was pretty much mostly gamergate weirdos doxxing me and calling me slurs)' and now just makes her money going on shows to say 'liberals...are the REAL racists' and be a certified Black Friend.

That's a grift, she doesn't give a single poo poo about any of this but she wants money and right wing people are dumb enough to throw money at any minority who will give them a shield.

Sulivan very genuinely believes IQ is real and trans people are scary or whatever the gently caress he's doing now.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Rushing breathlessly to correct the record that Brie isn't a grifter. This matters very much!

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

papa horny michael posted:

Rushing breathlessly to correct the record that Brie isn't a grifter. This matters very much!

thanks man

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

it's this, this isn't a complex thing. Both those guys are dumb libertarian assholes who probably genuinely believe the dumb poo poo they're saying.

they dont though. they dont believe it, they cynically promote it for the ~engagement~

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Grinch posted:

they dont though. they dont believe it, they cynically promote it for the ~engagement~
And they are being paid well to do it

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

your dumb as poo poo lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

And they are being paid well to do it

oh no the Bad Men are getting paid by subscribers to write Articles that espose the same beliefs they've always held?? WHat Happened To Them

edit:

FlamingLiberal posted:

were they "just asking questions" about how russiagate was breathlessly promoted by the libs despite everyone in charge knowing it was 100% fake as a cynical way to get viewers / donations / start a war? you pathetic dumb bitch!

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 19, 2021

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Taibbi’s take on ivermectin could just as easily and logically be applied to colloidal silver or any other hoax medicine. There are some plenty of grifter doctors out there to take at their word.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
everyone in America is both a grifter and rube

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Seams posted:

everyone in America is both a grifter and rube

Acting dumb is the best grift of all. Do enough to get paid, but don’t let them think of you as a go-getter. You don’t get assigned extra work or stuck in more meetings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

selec posted:

Taibbi’s take on ivermectin could just as easily and logically be applied to colloidal silver or any other hoax medicine. There are some plenty of grifter doctors out there to take at their word.

His ivermectin take was stupid it just wasn't the stupid take a lot of people said it was.

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

His ivermectin take was stupid it just wasn't the stupid take a lot of people said it was.

Yeah, he was definitely presenting it as “these poor right wing grifters are being censored” and it’s like…man why would I give a gently caress? It’s like writing an article on forums bans. That’s the level you’re punching at now? A loving shame.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

selec posted:

Yeah, he was definitely presenting it as “these poor right wing grifters are being censored” and it’s like…man why would I give a gently caress? It’s like writing an article on forums bans. That’s the level you’re punching at now? A loving shame.

Greenwald upset that dumb assholes like Heying and Weinstein were getting demonetized was funny. Oh no the people that already got a fat stack from the school they left and have a lucrative patreon won't get the YouTube money.

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Greenwald upset that dumb assholes like Heying and Weinstein were getting demonetized was funny. Oh no the people that already got a fat stack from the school they left and have a lucrative patreon won't get the YouTube money.

Not to mention that whole network is getting juiced with Thiel money.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Slanderer posted:

your dumb as poo poo lol

Slanderer posted:

oh no the Bad Men are getting paid by subscribers to write Articles that espose the same beliefs they've always held?? WHat Happened To Them

edit:

were they "just asking questions" about how russiagate was breathlessly promoted by the libs despite everyone in charge knowing it was 100% fake as a cynical way to get viewers / donations / start a war? you pathetic dumb bitch!

maybe sit this one out champ

I honestly cannot believe how many of you in this thread just credulously take people at face value and completely ignore profit motive

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mr gay and it's just an old man posting about grifters in the chapo thread

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
if your not a sharpie marker, your a crayola mark

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah its actually good that communication monopolies are in charge of censorship and half of congress wants to write this into law instead of breaking up the monopolies. this will surely never backfire and be targetted at pro palestine accounts or foreign news agencies

Mr. Grinch posted:

maybe sit this one out champ

I honestly cannot believe how many of you in this thread just credulously take people at face value and completely ignore profit motive

your old and busted bitch

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 19, 2021

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

selec posted:

Not to mention that whole network is getting juiced with Thiel money.

thiel making a small investment in a dumb website: important, we must Care
thiel being a facebook board member: oh who cares

you are too stupid to survive in a world without grubhub

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Slanderer posted:

Grubhub sucks and Foodler should have never sold out to them. :(

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Slanderer posted:

It’s bad that he’s a Facebook board member too lol.

But he’s also bankrolling Weinstein’s stupid loving brother, and a bunch of mkultra’d Republican candidates, and that’s just what we know about what he does with his money publicly. Oh and also destroying the one publication he couldn’t cow, he did that too, via the lawsuit of a union busting creep turned reality tv star that he guided and funded to his own ends.

Thiel is a yakubian monstrosity made flesh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Slanderer posted:

yeah its actually good that communication monopolies are in charge of censorship and half of congress wants to write this into law instead of breaking up the monopolies. this will surely never backfire and be targetted at pro palestine accounts or foreign news agencies

Already happens. You guys need to stop this stupid poo poo when some moron rightfully loses their talking on the internet money.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

selec posted:

It’s bad that he’s a Facebook board member too lol.

But he’s also bankrolling Weinstein’s stupid loving brother, and a bunch of mkultra’d Republican candidates, and that’s just what we know about what he does with his money publicly. Oh and also destroying the one publication he couldn’t cow, he did that too, via the lawsuit of a union busting creep turned reality tv star that he guided and funded to his own ends.

Thiel is a yakubian monstrosity made flesh

cool so is everyones boss and every single rich person. shut up lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

prefect posted:

Grubhub sucks and Foodler should have never sold out to them. :(

Campusfood actually gave us coupons and discounts for ordering lovely pizza....

Groovelord Neato posted:

Already happens. You guys need to stop this stupid poo poo when some moron rightfully loses their talking on the internet money.

"censorship not only inevitable but its actually good" go cry for the teachers loser

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Slanderer posted:

Campusfood actually gave us coupons and discounts for ordering lovely pizza....

"censorship not only inevitable but its actually good" go cry for the teachers loser

“Censorship is when the mods probe me” Jesus touch grass already

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
This belief that the tech+government monopolies will not come crashing down on progressive media the moment they can do it easily and at no cost, just because said media defended someone's access to a platform, is just insane.

"We WERE going to shut up any inconvenient voice that got a bit too much attention, but you know what? They stood by Milo Yannopolous' freedom of expression! Call off the bill."

Ask ACORN how playing nice worked out for them in the end.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Both big tech censorship and Greenwald suck rear end!!!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

selec posted:

“Censorship is when the mods probe me” Jesus touch grass already

you post like a facebook aunt

Sephyr posted:

This belief that the tech+government monopolies will not come crashing down on progressive media the moment they can do it easily and at no cost, just because said media defended someone's access to a platform, is just insane.

"We WERE going to shut up any inconvenient voice that got a bit too much attention, but you know what? They stood by Milo Yannopolous' freedom of expression! Call off the bill."

Ask ACORN how playing nice worked out for them in the end.

who the gently caress is talking about the "progressive media" lmao

Saagonsa posted:

Both big tech censorship and Greenwald suck rear end!!!

getting mad at glenn greenwald for being too correct

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm going to beat him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

When I think of “Grifting” I think of Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, and Candance Owens: people who use their media brand of hatred and disinformation to hawk boner pills and recycled gold

yea right wing influencers who you see online constantly but barely have actual political positions who just try to sell poo poo is the only coherent definition. and even then i think its only really useful if u restrict it to the wave that emerged from trump 2016