Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I love the bug and blob eye for sure.

I don’t mind sharing the numbers because they’re silly. It was a 2019 Forester Sport with 14k miles. KBB a year ago was 29 and I ended up selling it for 36 to Carmax. Paid I think 29.5 for it new.

The STI was MSRP + tax + tag. No markup and they had just gotten it off the truck so I said sure whatever I’m coming to drive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

A few questions:

-I'm a size 13 in sneakers but 12 in dress shoes which puts me right on the border of L and XL. What size should I get?

-Are boot and crew basically the same thing? Is there any real difference between models? Should I just get whatever pattern/color I like that has more wool?

Im a 12.5 in most sneakers and 12 in dress shoes, and I get L.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rolo posted:

Yeah I love the bug and blob eye for sure.

I don’t mind sharing the numbers because they’re silly. It was a 2019 Forester Sport with 14k miles. KBB a year ago was 29 and I ended up selling it for 36 to Carmax. Paid I think 29.5 for it new.

The STI was MSRP + tax + tag. No markup and they had just gotten it off the truck so I said sure whatever I’m coming to drive it.

Jesus, that's a major win. Probably can't turn mine around for that much, which probably good cause I love it and it's a great hauler.....but I really wanna get a bug eye which will not be a great hauler even if I could find a hatch or wagon. Also it'll be a project car so it won't be reliable :haw:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I’d love one too but the entire used market is hosed. I’ve been on BaT for months trying to find an E46 or Avant wagon and they’re going into the 20’s while being 15+ years old. A 2012 STI sold on there the other day for 40,500 and a gorgeous silver 2004 went for 26,687. My brand new 21 with every box checked was 44,000.

Being able to capitalize on the ridiculousness while getting a new car for MSRP was like sure, no problem, I’m tired of being outbid by 10k with 1 minute left anyways.

Edit: overpriced or not look at this beautiful thing. I love the blob eyes so much.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-59/

Rolo has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Nov 19, 2021

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

At this point, I don't know if I should bite the bullet on a project car or try to wait and see if the market gets less crazy. I definitely missed my chance to get one on the cheap, that horse probably ain't even gettin back in the barn and bug eyes are only gonna get more rare. And I don't think the used market is gonna be sane any time soon.

Content:

Bought some new boot liners, intuition dreamliners, to replace the stock ones. Hoping these will work out better because I have big and wide feet. As part of checking the right size, they have you check the boot size without the liner in, and I don't know why I never thought about doin that before. There's plenty of room in the boot itself, so a different liner might let me size down the boot even more. My normal shoe size is 14 EE, so my snowboard boot options are fairly limited. Sizing down to 13 would open up a ton of options. Probably throw some dollars on that in a season or two when I'm wantin to change boots again.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Philps Hue E26 starter smart light kit. I wanted something so that I can have my outside lights turn on when it gets dark. Bonus that I can tie this in to my home security system.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Antenna mast and wall attachments. In need of some refinishing before it goes up but it's all solid old stuff. I might be able to tune in FM stations from Sweden with this.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Gently used and re-tuned snowblower from a local small engine repair guy:

My current snowblower works fine, but it is ~7-8 years old and was also bought used from a different small engine guy a few years ago, so not sure how much life it has left. This one also has many QoL improvements. The old one has 1 single forward gear, no reverse gears.

This one has 6 forward gears, 2 reverse, zero turn, an easier to use chute control, and a light.

Cost $400, and I plan to sell the old one for $200, so net cost just $200.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

His Divine Shadow posted:

Antenna mast and wall attachments. In need of some refinishing before it goes up but it's all solid old stuff. I might be able to tune in FM stations from Sweden with this.

Psst, you can listen to radio stations from around the world: http://radio.garden/visit/revsund/Uy5Akdf5

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Magic Underwear posted:

Psst, you can listen to radio stations from around the world: http://radio.garden/visit/revsund/Uy5Akdf5

I know, it's so boring, everything's going through the internet nowadays... Compared to actually picking stuff up out of the air, now that's cool. And shortwave radio, that's the coolest, want to put up a shortwave and medium wave antenna later and I can catch transmissions all over the globe. Modern internet radio doesn't have anything on that in terms of actually being interesting to work with, it's just bits through a cable.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
My wife surprised me with TSO tickets last weekend!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
4 new all-season tires because I bought a sports car in November :doh:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Android Apocalypse posted:

Philps Hue E26 starter smart light kit. I wanted something so that I can have my outside lights turn on when it gets dark. Bonus that I can tie this in to my home security system.

Bought these a while back and I love them.
If you have android, I prefer Hue Switcher over the Philips app. Hue has way more options especially the schedule settings.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Digital Jedi posted:

Bought these a while back and I love them.
If you have android, I prefer Hue Switcher over the Philips app. Hue has way more options especially the schedule settings.

Alas I'm an iOS idiot, but my home security system has the ability to schedule when my lights turn on/off so I got that.

Right now the biggest thing is getting the colors juuust the right hue I want them at.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I picked up a couple of Klein bottles from Cliff Stoll, one for myself and one as a Christmas present for a friend. He sent me like 20 pictures and a long description of wrapping and shipping them out. Guy is awesome and I spent the last half hour writing him a thank you note.

I can't remember which thread I saw him pop up in again recently but I meant to buy some the last time he came up. I think it was the OSHA thread because he has a kickass remote control forklift in the crawlspace under his house to store and retrieve his collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU&t=197s

Edit: it was the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3222431&pagenumber=1113&perpage=40#post519405632

Shartweek has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Nov 25, 2021

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
That's awesome. How would one go about picking up their own Klein bottles from cliff.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

sterster posted:

That's awesome. How would one go about picking up their own Klein bottles from cliff.

He has an extremely awesome website, which I recommend everyone looks at even if not interested in singled-sided objects:

https://www.kleinbottle.com/

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

A longer lens for wildlife photography. Really waiting for spring and having daylight again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Coolnezzz posted:

He has an extremely awesome website, which I recommend everyone looks at even if not interested in singled-sided objects:

From the Klein Mug description:

quote:

The handle does triple duty: It connects the inner and outer chambers, provides a topological hole, and gives you a way to conveniently grasp the mug. We've designed the handle to be fully ambidexterous -- yes, your Acme Drinking Mug Klein Bottle fits either hand. Indeed, it's possible to hold it with both hands simultaneously. And since it has no preferred angular momentum vector, you can swish your drink either clockwise or counterclockwise.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
After 4 years of Android I decided it was time to go back home

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

After 4 years of Android I decided it was time to go back home

Hell yeah 13 Pro Sierra Blue buddy! :hfive:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Join me in the blue pro without a case club. People won’t understand us but that’s ok.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dick Trauma posted:

From the Klein Mug description:

Holy poo poo I love this guy

quote:

Again my warning: THIS IS NOT A GOOD DRINKING GLASS! It's difficult to get liquids in. Difficult to get liquids out. It's difficult to clean. (it's also difficult to make, if that's any consolation. ) Please treat it as a mathematical curiousity rather than a practical cup.

This Klein Stein is ideal for the mathematical physicist who needs a glass of water while accepting her Nobel Prize. Perfect for the Silicon Valley programmer swigging Jolt on an allnighter. Just the thing to quench the thirst of the multibillionaire following a leveraged buyout of the US government. Indeed, think of all the seminars, colloquia, interviews, and funerals that would be jazzed up with an Acme Klein Bottle Mug at your side.

Now, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, this multipurpose Klein Bottle is available for a mere $95 -- cheaper than sending a spaceprobe most of the way to Mars!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Coolnezzz posted:

This man is happier than I could ever hope to be.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rolo posted:

Join me in the blue pro without a case club. People won’t understand us but that’s ok.

Is this a bad time to mention I’m putting it in the Apple wisteria leather case tomorrow when I go to work

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Smartish, yo. Can I say that it’s super interesting how far we’ve come with phone cases? Remember Otterboxes? Now these little slim deals do amazingly well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It helps when you need a case to make your phone actually lie flat on a table.

I bought a monitor to actually hook up to my sim racing rig at last.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Warbird posted:

Smartish, yo. Can I say that it’s super interesting how far we’ve come with phone cases? Remember Otterboxes? Now these little slim deals do amazingly well.

I am clumsy and drop my phone all the time, all day long. I still use a fat Otterbox for my Pixel. :(

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I’ve had my iPhone X since release and I have a hard time believing it would have survived relatively intact all this time without a sturdy case (a transparent Tech21 (?)) but am I wrong? Been thinking about getting the 13 as well…

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Camera day!

The GoPro Hero 10 Black is only $349 from GoPro if you accept a free year of their subscription service. They're really trying to hook people with it but sure, I'll bite too for that discount and set a reminder to cancel in 11 months.

I'm replacing a 7 White so I'm hoping the differences will be noticeable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rolo posted:

Camera day!

Same!

💸 💸 💸

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Since Coupons & Deals is currently in transition, I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I know during Prime Day, Amazon gives you a bonus when you by a gift card. Does anyone know if they also do that for Black Friday/during the holidays? I don't see anything right now.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Probably a bunch of poo poo I didn't really need but it will make my life easier so why the hell not?

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat, i've heard of double boilers but this just seems a bit excessive

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lmao wtf

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I saw a YouTube review of that shower head where it fell right out as soon as it was turned over. Weak magnet?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
drat that's like 5k worth of merino

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

hahaha It was cheap and I wanted to see if it was worth it. Plus I needed a better showerhead.

Spoiler: meh.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

JNCO BILOBA posted:

I saw a YouTube review of that shower head where it fell right out as soon as it was turned over. Weak magnet?

This one seems to be fine. Only thing is that I have yet to try the speaker and it probably sounds like the noise of a cat in heat reverberating through a rusty can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, I just use a decent showerhead (WITH the removable massage wand option, cause who are these savages that DON'T use a shower with a removable massage wand?) and then just a waterproof Bluetooth speaker up on the shower shelf.

I've got an old one, no clue as to the brand, but it's covered in rubber, decent enough sound considering you have to hear it over running water AND it's already Bluetooth quality, so it's not like you're going to get a quality experience anyway. I've had it like 8 years, survived several moves and showers, and I swear I only have to charge the thing like 2x year, even though it gets used a few times a week.