Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love the taste and drinking something warm in the fall is nice so hell yeah for decaf. I have next to no caffeine tolerance because I don’t drink it. I tried a cup last month before the gym, had a great workout then spent the rest of the day in my apartment thinking I would die if I went outside.

Edit: I also bought Forza Horizon 5 because I can’t stay away from a game that lets me customize and tune old BMW’s and Audi’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
For content I found this jacket at Savers, it’s vintage with genuine wool shearling. It stinks but I love it, I feel like Leon from Resident Evil 4.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
My wife bought me a Ninja coffee maker 2 years ago and I use it pretty much every day.

I hate the name, I hate the fake chrome, and I hate how it looks. But it works _so_ well.

The coffee is nice and consistent, I love the different receptacle settings (small cup, large cup, travel mug, large travel mug, half a pot, full pot) with some turning on the keep warm element. It cleans well too, it has a hot water flush setting that is easy to use and comes on automatically.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

For content I found this jacket at Savers, it’s vintage with genuine wool shearling. It stinks but I love it, I feel like Leon from Resident Evil 4.

Pay for professional cleaning broham. Will make it so much better.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I used to joke that, in college, you could always tell I had a paper due if I had an XL black coffee from Dunkin Donuts, as it helped me concentrate. After I graduated, I used to drink a pot of coffee every day, but since starting on Adderall I can only handle a cup before I start getting jittery. Now I understand why they make decaf coffee.

I’ve been a barista for years, I used to drink a nonstop flow of coffee and not really think about it.

The first shift I worked after starting adderall i didn’t consider the affect it would have mixed with coffee, and I thought I was having a panic attack after testing the espresso all morning.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's really interesting, I didn't know that about the bubble pump. I also thought one of the issues with drip coffee makers was the heater element, makes the pot too hot and breaks down the caffeine and other compounds contributing to the bitter taste. Does that one brew into a carafe, or is oversteeping/too hot on the brew side more of the issue that creates a bad cup?

Cheap coffee makers use the same element to boil the water/keep the pot warm. It's a bit further from it so it's not quite as hot usually, but it can bitter it over time. For cheap ones I'd always get one without a heater and use an insulated carafe. A good one will keep it hot for 6-8 hours.

The carafe on this one has no heater (though they sell one that does, and it's a separate element).

silence_kit posted:

Also, good black coffee tastes better when it is cooler, IMO.

I agree. The coffee I have at the moment is a bit bitter right after brewing, but once it's cooled down a bit (1-2 hours after brewing in the carafe) it goes away and has this great almost chocolate taste to it.

I also find that if you use the measurement tool that comes with them, even my new one, it makes it way too strong to be consumed black. I've been using ~1/2-2/3 the amount and it tastes so much better.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I also find that if you use the measurement tool that comes with them, even my new one, it makes it way too strong to be consumed black. I've been using ~1/2-2/3 the amount and it tastes so much better.

With the Moccamaster, I find it exactly the opposite. If you make an "international standard cup of coffee" according to the instructions, to me it's far too weak.

But we've adjusted our grind and amount a bit and have found something that works for us.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I also thought one of the issues with drip coffee makers was the heater element, makes the pot too hot and breaks down the caffeine and other compounds contributing to the bitter taste.

This sounded weird so I looked it up. Caffeine denatures around 460F, which is the high end of roasting temperatures (which is why super dark roasts have less caffeine), but if your brewer is getting that hot you should stop using a wok burner to make coffee.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

prayer group posted:

This sounded weird so I looked it up. Caffeine denatures around 460F, which is the high end of roasting temperatures (which is why super dark roasts have less caffeine), but if your brewer is getting that hot you should stop using a wok burner to make coffee.

Coffee on a hotplate certainly changes taste over time - try it out. Most people agree that the taste of coffee kept hot (on a plate!) over 0.5-2 hours is worse than fresh coffee - but try it out for yourself. If you like it, good for you.
There is some oxidation and degradation taking place in the extracted liquid (a.k.a. as coffee).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah if your coffee is too bitter when warm it's probably burnt. Try a different brewing method and you'll be surprised at the difference in taste and texture.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

prayer group posted:

I doubt you'd be getting heat degradents, but I don't doubt that there are thermally driven degradents and equillibria of other compounds that drive the bitter taste at higher temperatures. This is evidenced by the flavor changed as it slowly cools over time. I'm sure there's a million published papers about it.

To stay on topic, I purchased a bottle of tequila to give to my yard work guys and another to share with them over at a friends house (I know them outside of the work they do).

and

(Clase Azul Plata)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

I agree. The coffee I have at the moment is a bit bitter right after brewing, but once it's cooled down a bit (1-2 hours after brewing in the carafe) it goes away and has this great almost chocolate taste to it.

Yeah the following kind of makes me sound mentally ill to normal people, but there is a richness to the flavor that you don’t get when it’s hot and freshly brewed. I prefer the colder coffee.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
Sock talk - socksaddict is running another black Friday sale on Darn Tough socks this year. 25% off code HIKETOUGH good Nov 17 - Nov 30
Last year replaced all my smartwool with darn tough, no regrets.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm a coffee snob and I've been loving the routine and the taste after just switching from an Aeropress to a Moka Pot. While the Aeropress blew my mind when I first got it, the "seal" becomes looser and eventually the plastic cylinder cracks - I've gone through 2 in 8 years. The Moka Pot is a $40 chunk of aluminum, and it makes nice, strong coffee much more consistently than the Aeropress. It's more pleasant to use and clean as well.

A few important points:
- boil water before adding to the Moka Pot, and put the stove on a very low temp to finish it off in a minute or two. My first few cups were with cold water and it was bitter as hell.
- don't fill past the pressure release valve, and make sure you don't get grounds in there
- Use regular grind and don't pat down

If you don't follow the last two points, you could end up like one of those YouTube videos where someone launches their Moka Pot top through their ceiling. These things seriously rule though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Roll pin punch set.

Smart bench block (rubberized and magnetic)

Deleading wipes.

All because of this:

that's what's left of my old roll punch that broke off in my AK's piston. :gonk:

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Coffee chat: I bought some Motörhead coffee with a matching mug from London’s Dark Arts Coffee.

Ninja chat: got a Foodi Max health grill & air fryer in a special edition blue after waffling over it since last Black Friday.

Tool chat: got some diamond tipped drill bits and a drill guide.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

OGDanDogg posted:

For my birthday, I also bought a BC Rich Ironbird Extreme that's been on order since March 2020. I guess COVID, manufacturing issues, supply chain, etc., has delayed things. It's a legit company that is willing to refund at any point, but I'm still just holding out for surprise guitar on the porch.

Oof, what colour and specs? I've always liked ironbirds, they seem to be coming back into style along with Jackson warriors thanks to that one dude from Vitriol

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Concatenation posted:

Oof, what colour and specs? I've always liked ironbirds, they seem to be coming back into style along with Jackson warriors thanks to that one dude from Vitriol

Ironbird Extreme Exotic with Floyd Rose Cyan Blue

In theory.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

jfff posted:

Sock talk - socksaddict is running another black Friday sale on Darn Tough socks this year. 25% off code HIKETOUGH good Nov 17 - Nov 30

Thanks for this, I'll probably send it to my wife and parents. Gonna count how many pairs of my socks already or almost have holes in them, then just ask for that many darn tough pairs for Xmas since I can't think of anything I want that isn't just a digital purchase.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

jfff posted:

I am huge mad about this because I just bought 6 pairs of Darn Tough to give out as holiday gifts last week

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

jfff posted:

Thank you for posting this. Picked up some more socks.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

OGDanDogg posted:

Also, to horrify the thread, it's a Keurig. I use refillable cups though. Protip/lifehack/WTF: if you don't rinse the cups out after you dump them the coffee tastes better. I was lazy for a few days and my wife commented on the coffee tasting better. She's in the know now, but it was still a weird discovery.

Oh my god, I'm not crazy, this is true. I just discovered this last week. Don't rinse out the reusable pods, just dump the soggy old grounds. Always hated Keurig (I actually bought a jar of instant coffee to use instead).

luchadornado posted:

A few important points:
- boil water before adding to the Moka Pot, and put the stove on a very low temp to finish it off in a minute or two. My first few cups were with cold water and it was bitter as hell.
- don't fill past the pressure release valve, and make sure you don't get grounds in there
- Use regular grind and don't pat down

If you don't follow the last two points, you could end up like one of those YouTube videos where someone launches their Moka Pot top through their ceiling. These things seriously rule though.

Yeah Moka Pot rules but your steps confuse me. How do you get boiling water into the Moka Pot? You pour it down the snout? Are you screwing the top half on while the flame is on?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

ProperCoochie posted:

Yeah Moka Pot rules but your steps confuse me. How do you get boiling water into the Moka Pot? You pour it down the snout? Are you screwing the top half on while the flame is on?

Pour boiling water into the bottom chamber from a kettle or other secondary water source then put the coffee basket in and screw the top half on?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

jfff posted:

drat I literally just bought 70 dollars worth of socks (3 pairs lmao) from the darn tough website

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
poo poo my mom just knits a new pair for me every now and then.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I just buy like 20 pairs for $5 from a local Vietnamese market

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

jfff posted:

A few questions:

-I'm a size 13 in sneakers but 12 in dress shoes which puts me right on the border of L and XL. What size should I get?

-Are boot and crew basically the same thing? Is there any real difference between models? Should I just get whatever pattern/color I like that has more wool?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ProperCoochie posted:

Oh my god, I'm not crazy, this is true. I just discovered this last week. Don't rinse out the reusable pods, just dump the soggy old grounds. Always hated Keurig (I actually bought a jar of instant coffee to use instead).

I assume that you don't turn the flame on until after you screw together the Moka Pot. But since the water chamber is made of metal, I have to imagine that once you pour the boiling water in, the Moka pot would probably get more than a little hot, and it would be a little tricky to screw it together.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Josh Lyman posted:

A few questions:

-I'm a size 13 in sneakers but 12 in dress shoes which puts me right on the border of L and XL. What size should I get?

-Are boot and crew basically the same thing? Is there any real difference between models? Should I just get whatever pattern/color I like that has more wool?

I'd go with the XL based on your sneaker size.
https://darntough.com/pages/faqs-choosing-socks

Crew is shorter than boot.
https://darntough.com/pages/sock-finder

Listen to your heart and you can't go wrong.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

cyberia posted:

Pour boiling water into the bottom chamber from a kettle or other secondary water source then put the coffee basket in and screw the top half on?

It's this. 100% worth doing it this way, but it's one of those things that seems really overwhelming until you do it once and then it's easy.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

A few questions:

In addition to jfff’s response, Darn Tough has a good warranty program and customer service, if they don’t fit after washing and wearing, contact them. You’ll have to mail them back but they’ll get you hooked up with a credit for a new pair.

I’ve found in the light weight weaves I like the large but in the medium weight weaves I like the medium as the yarns seem to give more in the heavier weights. I was trying different sizes and weights and contacted the CS for some advice and they said wash and wear, if I had an issue they’d make it right and they did.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The car market is nuts. The offers I got on my Forester were way too high to pass up so I sold it and ended up with a wingless 2021 STI Limited for MSRP:

I am a happy, happy person.

:rice:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Where is the huge wing? Pretty low profile looking for an sti.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You can get the limited without the wing. I like the wing and approve of anything that gives a cool car character but I also love having this car’s performance in what looks like a WRX.

Also if it had the wing it would have sold before I knew it existed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wingless STIs are my jam.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hate big wings, that car looks perfect without it.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Josh Lyman posted:

A few questions:

I have the same 12/13 feet issues and I just got XXL socks from darn tough that fit perfectly. They shrink and get tight.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

McGurk posted:

I have the same 12/13 feet issues and I just got XXL socks from darn tough that fit perfectly. They shrink and get tight.

Lol, I wear a 12 in converse and I like the fit of “Large” for my darn toughs, personally

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
As one more data point, I'm a 13/14 and like XL for the heavier weight socks, and XXL for the light ones. Admittedly part of that might be that I remember to air dry the heavier wool and don't for the lighter ones, so ymmv. Ty for the heads up on the sale, I'll have to continue the slow conversion of all my socks to balega/darn tough.

Fwiw I do think the really heavy smart wool socks are great for wearing around the house, and I do have pairs that have lasted for like 8 years of pretty regular use. They're just not as good for hiking or walking in general and they thin out over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rolo posted:

The car market is nuts. The offers I got on my Forester were way too high to pass up so I sold it and ended up with a wingless 2021 STI Limited for MSRP:

I am a happy, happy person.

:rice:

👀

Pleased to say how much you sold the Forester (and what year/model), and how much you paid for STi. I'm not really lookin to sell my Forester, buuuut....

I personally do not like the wingless design, and I've been getting increasingly disgruntled with Subaru and their design decisions, not to mention them not givin us the good models :argh:. Every year, they've made the WRX look more and more generic sedan. That's not a problem specific to Subaru, but I still hate they're following the trend. Bugeye best style, don't @ me.