Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The old gang have been doing the rounds. Goddamit but Ernie looks good for his age, he's actually older than Dan and Bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY5Kv41qwDs

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I won't be seeing it until next week and I'm so insanely jealous of everyone who is seeing it before me.

/laughs Australianishly

I won't be seeing it until next year

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got a overpriced crystal skull vodka drink at amc

I want the power of Dan inside me

gregday
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I got a overpriced crystal skull vodka drink at amc

I want the power of Dan inside me

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

I, along with others, would very much appreciate spoiler-free reviews when you can.

It's a success imo.

A little girl came up to me after the movie to say hi because she thought I was a Ghostbuster. :kimchi:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I, for one, did not mind the tastefully done Bill Murray nudity scene; but the nude Ackroyd went on about 6 minutes too long.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

text me a vag pic posted:

I, for one, did not mind the tastefully done Bill Murray nudity scene; but the nude Ackroyd went on about 6 minutes too long.

Well now there is the real shame that Dan couldn't get a third original continuity Ghostbusters made when he was younger.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh no. Yeah this movie was embarrassing

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just got back from seeing Afterlife and it was incredible.

Even before the movie started, we had some people in the audience in their Ghostbuster suits. During the movie people laughed, cheered and applauded. Even though I knew a particular thing was going to happen, I did get misty eyed.

The humor was closer to the original, and I grinned at Cannibal Girls on the marquee for the town's theater. I'll definitely be picking this up to go with my GB 1 & 2 set. While we didn't stay for the full credits, there is a bit during the credits which was worth staying for.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t like to be mean about movies too much. But I feel like this movie was made for someone who thought this was a loving tribute

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Movie was great. Emagine gave the Detroit Ghostbusters their own row, and gave us free popcorn and pop. We handed out pins before the show, and posters afterwards. Going to do it all again tomorrow in a different city.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Could you post a picture of the pin and poster? I'd love to see them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like to be mean about movies too much. But I feel like this movie was made for someone who thought this was a loving tribute

That comic is nearly eight years old and I still get irrationally angry every time I see it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh then you’ll hate afterlife haha

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

lol into the containment unit with you for eternity (or until the grid fails), Egon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Major spoilers Yes there is a Harold Ramis CGI ghost that acts along with the guys and it goes on for so long and it was really awful and then the film ends with for Harold and everyone clapped and I wanted to leeeaaave

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Oh no. Yeah this movie was embarrassing

M_Sinistrari posted:

Just got back from seeing Afterlife and it was incredible.

I always find this kind of thing more interesting than if it is unanimous either way, or if everyone is like "it's fine". Looking forward to tonight and having no clue how I'm going to react.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Weird rando things

Olivia Wilde played Gozer lol and JK Simmons was Ivo Shandor for 5 seconds.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Weird rando things

Olivia Wilde played Gozer lol and JK Simmons was Ivo Shandor for 5 seconds.

Yeah, I'll admit that I was a bit surprised that Ivo Shandor's bit was so short. It made sense considering, but I didn't expect it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

deoju posted:

Could you post a picture of the pin and poster? I'd love to see them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks. Those are neat souvenirs.

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yeah, I'll admit that I was a bit surprised that Ivo Shandor's bit was so short. It made sense considering, but I didn't expect it.

I feel like theres going to be some interesting deleted scenes, or at least stories of what ended up on the cutting room floor for this.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Will this be fun to watch even if you haven’t a reverent memory of the originals? I’ve seen the first one at some point, but remember nothing of it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Will this be fun to watch even if you haven’t a reverent memory of the originals? I’ve seen the first one at some point, but remember nothing of it.

Yes, it's fun. Even if you never saw the originals, you'll pick up enough as the film goes along.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

deoju posted:

Thanks. Those are neat souvenirs.

Thank you! The Detroit ones we hand out at all the conventions and charity events we attend. It’s a nice little bit of promotion.

We’re the main branch of the Grwat Lakes Ghostbusters coalition. Some of the Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo members were there last night.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Reading plot summaries, is the whole Egon thinks Gozer is coming back but none of the other Ghostbusters believe him so he goes on his own, resulting in his death thing as dire in movie as it sounds?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have a specific question about the antagonist.

Does Olivia Wilde wear the bubble suit, or is Gozer manifested completely differently?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Right, just got out. The film is good. It's not great. To me, it seems Ghostbusters remains a series with one excellent film and three okay ones. But that said, there's still a lot of like in this. Many of the responses have both criticised Afterlife for being too close to the first film and also too different. This is kind of true; there's a lot of call-backs, and even whole scenes replicated, but the tone is entirely something else because this is a very sincere film in a way the 1984 film wasn't. Sometimes that sincerity tips over into maudlin cheesiness and other times it genuinely hits with an emotional punch. Essentially it's a kids adventure film themed around Ghostbusters, and in those terms it really works. Mckenna Grace is excellent, and her and her Mum's emotional journey is the core of the film and it really comes together well. In many ways the film might even work better if you've not seen the 1984 film, that way all the call-backs feel less groan worthy and you can just enjoy the arc of the central characters like you would any other film.

Spoiler stuff:

- I, as a rule do not like resurrected dead actors in CG. I think it can be crass and exploitative, and the ending sequence with Egon hasn't really changed my mind too much. That said, this is the best use of it I've seen, both emotionally and morally. It feels sincere because it's the people who worked with Ramis doing this scene. They knew him and loved him and so it does genuinely feel like a tribute. It doesn't feel like Peter Cushing in Rogue One where it's an impersonal corporation doing it just so the canon works. I did well up, I admit, though that's not particularly hard to do these days. The sequence goes on way, way, way too long though. All it really needed was the shot of him steadying his granddaughter's hand with the proton pack. If they had kept it at just that, I think it would have worked. But it wears out its welcome real quick.

-Anyone hoping for Ghostbusters 3 with lots of scenes with the old guys are out of luck. They are in it very briefly at the end of the film. Their appearance felt kind of stagey, a little forced, but maybe it was just seeing them all much older in their costumes. They have a cool entrance and I think it will play better in re-watches. I think it's best they were kept to a minimum just so the new characters could shine.

-There is plenty of comedy in the film and concerns that it didn't have any were unfounded. That said, there's no really great gags, just solidly amusing character based stuff throughout.

-The film has a similar level of horror to the first one, and there is genuine threat and menace. I think it's interesting that no one dies in the first two Ghostbusters but in this one at least a couple do, including Egon who appears to be either killed by the Terror Dog, or died of a heart attack as he was about to be killed, and a resurrected Ivo Shandor who is sliced in half by Gozer. If anyone has very young children there's a chance it might be a little too much. I watched it in IMAX and one jump-scare with the Terror Dog got me good.

-I actually like the expanded lore of the Gozer stuff, I just wish they hadn't defaulted to just having it play out pretty much the exact same way with the Keymaster/Gatekeeper stuff. They really should have provided more twists to it, because at a certain point you do feel like you're seeing the same poo poo just with different actors.

-The emotional stuff with Carrie Coon being mad at Egon who abandoned her and McKenna Grace learning her place in the world is all great. It's this more dramatic aspect that works best in the film and also makes it its own thing.

-Was happy with Egon going off on his own, it had a nice sense of tragedy to it. I did find it weird that Ray wouldn't believe him? I mean why wouldn't he? But overall him holding the fort was nicely portrayed.

-Paul Rudd did his Paul Rudd thing and he was really good at it.

-Didn't care for the post-credits scenes, nor the slight resurgence of pro-Reagan libertarian sentiment (not much, just a couple of lines). I don't particularly need further films, and if they do, it would be better to follow Grace's character and not the implied resurrection of a Winston-led New York busters that ends the credits.

I'll probably think of more stuff, but overall, it was good but flawed. I think it will genuinely work best with kids and will become theirs in a way that perhaps none of the other sequels/reboots have managed.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 19, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Does Olivia Wilde wear the bubble suit, or is Gozer manifested completely differently?

She wears a slightly different but very similar suit. It's a modest redesign. She goes slightly incorporeal and turns into a skeleton like thing at a couple of points.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s just like the original only more updated

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Came out of it about 30 mins ago, took me a bit to process my thoughts but it was an okay film, just didn’t feel like Ghostbusters to me though really :shrug:

Can’t put my finger on what it is, but just feel unsatisfied by it

A positive: McKenna Grace was a great

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just got out of the theater. I'll agree that it's good but flawed. I enjoyed it but yeah, that end scene with ghost Egon went on way too long.

There is a post credits scene.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Looke posted:

Came out of it about 30 mins ago, took me a bit to process my thoughts but it was an okay film, just didn’t feel like Ghostbusters to me though really :shrug:

Can’t put my finger on what it is, but just feel unsatisfied by it

A positive: McKenna Grace was a great

I'm sure the movie is decent. I'm interested in seeing it. Anything will be better than Eternals.

However, what you can't put your finger on is that what you watched is a production manifested by the studio in order to breathe life into a dead franchise or rather a film franchise that never really was.

It isn't a movie made by people who wanted to just make a movie. It's just another corporate product fueled by nostalgia for a superior film.

That's why the movie shows you similar scenes from the original in the same way The Force Awakens did for Star Wars. It's a soft reboot that will make Millenials and Gen X have warm feelings about the original film and toys and their childhoods and introduce new charactupers so they can make more movies in order to keep making money - the core function of big studio IP films.

I'm not saying don't enjoy the movie. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but what's missing is a film because what you're watching isn't a film but rather a commercial and that commercial is selling your own nostalgia back to you and asking you to keep investing in the franchise. Even so, it's probably the best late stage capitalism can give us - warm feelings about the past.

Noam Chomsky fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 19, 2021

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Saw the movie. Thought it was very cute. Phoebe is adorable. I enjoyed the movie, but I cannot tell if this is a good movie or not. I can't see past my GB love. Using my wife as my litmus test; she loves nerdy-fan things, but isn't super into Ghostbusters. And she loved the movie and got teary.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Just saw this. I loved it. My wife loved it. Really fun time

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
not great, though I did like McKenna Grace and Logan Kim as the lead kids (even if naming the latter "Podcast" is peak how-do-you-do-fellow-kids writing). i don't think a Ghostbusters sequel needed to be this specifically reverent of the original movie, almost to the point of masturbation. and could have really, really done without dead-eyed CG Harold Ramis

what on earth was the point of JK Simmons in this? shows up for about 30 seconds in a role that seems like it should have some importance to the plot, and nothing. feels like there were definitely scenes cut there

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
I saw it! I saw it! I saw it!

I liked it so much!

I suppose it falls short of greatness as a whole, but God there are some great parts. During a scene of Ecto-1 on a merry chase through town I realized that no matter how this movie ended up among my _personal favorites_ of Ghostbusters sequels/spinoffs, it was unquestionably the _best_ since the original, when I’m putting on my fancy critic’s hat.

It really, truly, neatly sidesteps the issue of comparison with the originals by being, truly, apples and oranges. I’ll always prefer apples. The 2016 reboot attempted to grow a new apple and it was a little mushy. This movie is an orange. It is as different from the originals as Tim Burton’s Batman from Christopher Nolan’s; you can like both, but one won’t give you what the other will.

The best nerd analogy I can come up with is “Rogue One”. The whole beauty of that film is that it was Star Wars but not trying to act like Star Wars (at least for most of it), it was its own film—not the way I would want every Star Wars film to be, but great on its own terms and in its own way.

Mckenna Grace is compelling and endearing, and it is to the film’s utmost credit that we really feel like it’s about her, not her lineage, not the original guys.

Indeed, the film is at is strongest when it’s being itself (a hodgepodge of Spielberg influences and a story about an awkward, nerdy girl finding her groove). Don’t get me wrong, I was glad to see the original characters back in action once it happened. But it was honestly beside the point.

Hell, here’s my dirty little secret: there are moments toward the end that are clearly designed to tug at my heartstrings and didn’t. I didn’t mind them. They weren’t badly done. They just didn’t move me. Jason Reitman’s attempt to ape Spielberg only gets him so far, I suppose.

The shameless borrowing from the original actually worked on the macro level (all the stuff that was actually part of the plot)—I liked that much, much better than I thought I would. What absolutely does not work is the ten million jokes thrown in as references for the fans. The filmmakers should have trimmed a great many of these out. They land with thuds.

For all the film’s flaws, it gives the “Ghostbusters” franchise a good movie, and a different _kind_ of good movie—which is invigorating. And whatever it opens the door to (and you can tell the movie is hoping to keep that door open)… I’m on board.

On a scale of “We came, we saw, we kicked its rear end” to “Forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes”, I give it a “Beautiful. You’re hired.”

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Is the song in it? And if yes, is it used in a cool way or is it just a perfunctory check list thing?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

nemesis_hub posted:

Is the song in it? And if yes, is it used in a cool way or is it just a perfunctory check list thing?

it's in, and used the right way.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Noam Chomsky posted:

It isn't a movie made by people who wanted to just make a movie. It's just another corporate product fueled by nostalgia for a superior film.

I actually think this is inaccurate. I don't think this is a film where a studio demanded they redo the 1984 Ghostbusters and the filmmaker was largely powerless. I 100% believe Jason Reitman wanted to remix and redo elements of his dad's film. The reverence is weirdly sincere and enthusiastic but it does kind of come from an honest place. Had this not have been made by Reitman, and just have been made by whichever young hungry filmmaker was available, I would perhaps agree with you, but I don't think anyone twisted Reitman's arm to include the nostalgic elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I liked the appearance of JK Simmons. "Holy poo poo, he's in this?" Combined with a the character devoting his life to Gozer but getting tossed aside was funny to me. I thought there was gonna be some monologing and hamming it up. Nope. Blam. loving dead. Jokes on me. Maybe there was supposed to be more, but I loled based on that.