Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fellis posted:

This isn’t the bad isekai thread, it’s the any isekai thread. If you go “this isekai is wholesome, but…” just post it here and not there.

Like the one where they guy lives in the plains and builds a community of outcasts and animal people is good, but he marries a much younger woman. He has completely acknowledged her age (i dont recall if she’s under 18 or just younger, whatever it sucks) and has no intention of doing anything with her. But that’s enough to disqualify it from the other thread even though otherwise its very nice.

Now most non-wholesome isekai are loving garbage so yeah in that regard this is the bad thread. But I’d also put excessive gore, MC doing questionable murders, and horny in this category. Slime manga recently did a mass-murder and people didn’t seem ripped up about that, but I think that’s not wholesome. I’d also put Moonlit Fantasy and Eminence in Shadows here and I think those are pretty good.

E: I like that thread also btw. I think it should be really confined to the villianess/otome isekai and slow-life isekai that usually keep it under control, there are enough of those.

The one about the guy in the plains is Ryoumin 0-nin Start no Henkyou Ryoushusama. She's 15 and he's 35 at the start, and as you mentioned he's 100% against doing anything with her until she's of-age because he's a good guy almost to a fault. It would otherwise 100% be considered wholesome as it doesn't have any issues with slavery, misogyny, or even a lot of the indiscriminate murders. Frankly I really wish they would do a time skip because her age hasn't really been any kind of major plot point, except to make the readers feel a little weirded out when it does pop up.

Personally my bar for wholesome is pretty low, which is probably due to how dire this genre can be at times. All I want is no misogyny, no buying/keeping slaves by the MC, and the horny to be kept between consenting adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Kyoukai Meikyuu To Ikai No Majutsushi - ISEKAI SPEEDRUN ANY % COMPETITION DONATE NOW
https://manganato.com/manga-ce979561
This is a complete tangent but in the 2nd chapter the MC being snobby about the captain of the town guard being a member of the adventurer's guild put a stick in my craw. I get it, a guild is quick and dirty writing for giving the MC clear objectives and a flexible work criteria. I don't even have a problem with the concept in a story but there are just better ways to write in individuals whose job is almost always primarily local defense or expeditions into dangerous territory. I wish most series would stick to writing them as mercenary groups operating either temporarily or even permanently out of a particular region. I just feels like the way most writers handle adventurer guilds there would be friction between them and the local lords because the guild basically takes over all critical functions of a town and often receive their money straight from those asking for aid without paying anything back to the city. I have no idea how this story actually follows through I dropped it when the Baroness showed up. It just annoyed me that there's debate over whether the town guard should even be able to take on "guild business" that involves the defense of the city regardless of how conveniently incompetent the captain is. Then again I guess the logic is that the ants were too far out or something so the town guard had no jurisdiction anyways.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The only good adventurer’s guild concept ive ever seen is the one from the Trails games, in which overlapping responsibility between the Guild and the military is a constant source of tension and at least one polity decided they didn’t want a parallel source of authority and kicked the adventurers out

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nemo2342 posted:

Personally my bar for wholesome is pretty low, which is probably due to how dire this genre can be at times. All I want is no misogyny, no buying/keeping slaves by the MC, and the horny to be kept between consenting adults.

I agree! I like reading these dumb power fantasies and I have no taste, so I’d like this thread to be more alive with more posting about the stuff the other thread doesn’t want. Plus the arguments about where the line is are extremely tedious, which is why I agree with it being more strict and two threads.

I’ve recently been diving into web novels for silly power fantasy stuff since a lot of scanlations didn’t resume after mangadex finally came back.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36983/tower-of-somnus
Tower of Somnus is a pretty silly one where the MC is a highschool courier in a cyberpunk dystopia and then gets access to an extra-terrestrial fantasy MMO you play while you sleep and you can also use your magic in the real world. It’s so dumb and the MC starts their bodycount in the first chapter. It’s been dumb fun but the author’s axe to grind with various political things gets kinda tedious in book 2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's ultimately a story about how wonderful and special the mc is. everything else is window dressing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I started reading these because they're fun popcorn fluff and I needed something to cheer me up during quarantine.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nemo2342 posted:

The one about the guy in the plains is Ryoumin 0-nin Start no Henkyou Ryoushusama. She's 15 and he's 35 at the start, and as you mentioned he's 100% against doing anything with her until she's of-age because he's a good guy almost to a fault. It would otherwise 100% be considered wholesome as it doesn't have any issues with slavery, misogyny, or even a lot of the indiscriminate murders. Frankly I really wish they would do a time skip because her age hasn't really been any kind of major plot point, except to make the readers feel a little weirded out when it does pop up.

I think it was really a deliberate choice for the ages because it is meant to illustrate cultural differences, I believe in her culture, SHE is considered a fully grown and functional adult woman. Not saying from my personal cultural perspective I would have the same view, but I have to take courses of cultural competency as part of my job, and part of that is to always remember that different cultures have different viewpoints and we should not try to impose our personal viewpoints on other people.

Also there are mysterious magical rear end sheep. The Sheep decide their leadership via a singing contest

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 17, 2021

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

I think it was really a deliberate choice for the ages because it is meant to illustrate cultural differences, I believe in her culture, SHE is considered a fully grown and functional adult woman. Not saying from my personal cultural perspective I would have the same view, but I have to take courses of cultural competency as part of my job, and part of that is to always remember that different cultures have different viewpoints and we should not try to impose our personal viewpoints on other people.

Also there are mysterious magical rear end sheep. The Sheep decide their leadership via a singing contest

Yeah, that is fair. The ages are definitely an intentional plot point, and it certainly says something about the MC that while he is more than willing to adopt a number of cultural practices from his neighbors when it comes to living in the area, he refuses to just go "well, when in Rome" with his wife who his kingdom would consider to be underage. Especially when he's both the local authority figure and so far removed from his king that he could easily just do whatever he wanted. It's generally not treated as either a joke or an excuse to do underage cheesecake, which is why I am happy to recommend it to people (unlike a lot of the other trash I read).

That being said it still makes me a little uncomfortable, just because it's hard not to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I started reading these because they're fun popcorn fluff and I needed something to cheer me up during quarantine.

There's definitely something comforting about being able to turn off your brain and plow through a totally inoffensive (and often totally average) isekai.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, my favorite non-wholesome but extremely fluffy fantasy non-isekai finally got an update. I wish it wasn't monthly. And I wish the scanlators wouldn't wait multiple months between update batches. But we're finally starting to get all the weird side characters so things are looking up.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Another piece of my lost follows list recovered, thanks! I had a good dozen chapters to catch up on for that one!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Brought To You By posted:

Comparing Mynoghra to the Swarm Queen manga is interesting because on the surface their premises are fairly similar but the execution and direction is wildly different. A big one being how both manga handle the MC falling in line with their respective factions and what sort of fuckery has happened to their minds as a result. It's far more subtle and subdued in Mynoghra and first really comes to a head in the aftermath of the Holy Knights when Atou goes to apologize and you see those loving empty eyes not really being offput by witnessing firsthand a hellish massacre. I like that a lot more than the Swarm Queen's more frontloaded mania and attachment to her units resulting in a pretty hilarious massacre. One is more thoughtful about the idea of someone's mind being merged with a different entity/set of rules and the other reminds me a bit of Himenospia with how the MC just jumps whole hog into being nuts and both series are about insect themed power bases and even share a tomboy-esque right hand woman so if you want to read some more jank there's a recommendation I suppose. :shrug: it's by the killing bites guy but not nearly as fun as that series, more in line with Arachnid in terms of schlock value.

I do have some knowledge of what happens later in Mynoghra although most of it is summaries on WN websites but Rather than the other factions that are isekai'd humans being sRPG players they employ different rule systems based on the games they favored in life. One group are more like Dragon Quest heroes, another are straight up tabletop RPG players and one guy seems to be from the Ero-VN camp of games more comparable to the Sengoku Rance line of games

So thanks to Nemo for letting me know there's an official english TL, I'll definitely be jumping on those in the future.
I just finished the english translation of the Mynoghra web novel on Kindle, and it was a decent time. Definitely still read a little wonky, lots of weird hyperbolic purple prose. Clunky shifts between character and omniscient narrator, and conversations that get handwaved past just as they start to get interesting. I figure a higher-quality translation could have ironed a lot of that out, and given us some seriously engaging dialogue.

There have been some adjustments to the plot, for instance they brought over the elves supporting Atou in the big fight.

Overall, though, I really appreciated some of the stuff we get from Atou's perspective, and will almost certainly buy the next book when it drops.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Do not forget to indulge in some KOREAN Isekai from time to time.

https://dungeon-reset.com/ - Dungeon Reset is the korean version of 'Minecraft Isekai'. TL;DR - Dude gets isekai'ed into a dungeon death game. Falls in a trap and is bleeding out while the rest of his team beats the boss and earns a complete heal. Survives thanks to the complete heal, but gets bugged when everyone else leaves the level and he's left behind. Dungeon resets for the next isekai group and he has to PUNCH DIRT to survive. Then the usual korean grind-mindset sets in and poo poo goes bonkers.

https://w2.swordkingstory.com/ - Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World. TL;DR - Dude is summoned to isekai land, but when 'god' or whomever is installing his cheats they encounter a glitch. He gets stuck in tutorial mode for like, 20 years - during which he cannot level up past level 5. God eventually finds out and dumps him into the world thinking at level 5 he's to weak and will just die, but turns out that 20 years fighting in the tutorial world gave him crazy stupid strength. The add in some really interesting poo poo about Isekai'ed people being drug-crazed murderers, level restrictions on everyday items that results in stupid funny poo poo, and the MC definitely being broke-brained suppressed PTSD for living 20 years in a nightmare hellworld of nonstop violence and murder means someday he will very, very likely snap in a horrific fashion.

As for a good JP isekai I like a lot :

https://mangadex.org/title/958e98b6-c63c-4309-b912-d91a0c9f12e1/manuke-na-fps-player-ga-isekai-e-ochita-baai - A Stupid FPS Player Falls to Another World. MC is playing a VRMMO FPS game and falls off the map. Somehow transported to another world, can summon guns and poo poo. I personally like it for two reasons - 1) it doesn't pull punches with violence, death, and gore. 2) (MAJOR spoiler for the latest chapters) The MC actually finds out he can't return to Earth because he's dead, and instead of going "Oh well guess I'll just live here then" he actually has a real legit panic attack and existential crisis that does a lot to humanize him that other series lack

khy
Aug 15, 2005

gently caress it. Here's more I like.

https://mangadex.org/title/dfdd79ad-eae8-489f-8843-bfae7e08e74b/yuusha-shoukan-ni-makikomareta-kedo-isekai-wa-heiwa-deshita MC is summoned to a world at peace. No holy war or demon lorg or anything. He's not the hero, but the hero is basically just a figurehead. Instead he befriends people and is just chill. Except for some reason all the people he befriends end up being super, super powerful or crazy influential. There's not much conflict and it's sort of isekai slice-of-life, but it's very pleasant to read all the same.

https://mangadex.org/title/1e8d04cf...wo-shikkou-suru - Not sure what the english title is. It's like, half isekai levelling adventure, half otome game. There's basically two MCs, a girl who gets an adoptive sister but the adoptive sister is manipulative bitch who does her best to ruin the MC's life (This is the part that feels more like an Otome game). Also is apparently some kind of insanely evil psychobitch who is also loving up the kingdom or something. Second MC is a 'lil baby Chimera who's been Isekai'ed, and decides to protect the nice girl from the manipulative bitch. Not many chapters but nothing has gone off the rails yet. The 'lil baby Chimera goes off and does his levelling up while he's not protecting nice girl, so things keep shifting from 'unfair bullying of the nice girl' to 'Imma go on a murderfest and evolve'.

https://mangadex.org/title/ce9fe2e2...rt-as-a-soldier Class full of people gets Isekai'ed. Several of them leave the castle to become adventurers but are told they need to do mandatory military service. The MC decides to do a two-year stint as a soldier, befriends a pretty awesome (And surprisingly cute) orc, and endures hazing and harsh training and rear end in a top hat superiors and all the usual tropes.

Might be cool - too soon to tell! https://mangadex.org/title/3552bdd3-86fd-4ffe-8f61-e372cf9643d7/yakusai-no-moushigo-to-seijo-no-meikyuu The MC is an orphan living in another world. Orphans in this world get support from the country as they grow up, but have to perform a mandatory amount of time in a labyrinth. The Labyrinth is where god likes to Iskeai people for fun, and soon after the MC enters God decides to summon a classroom. Only 5 chapters so far but the MC isn't bad and the story seems like it might pick up. Or maybe it won't I DON'T KNOW YET.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Do not forget to indulge in some KOREAN Isekai from time to time.

https://dungeon-reset.com/ - Dungeon Reset is the korean version of 'Minecraft Isekai'. TL;DR - Dude gets isekai'ed into a dungeon death game. Falls in a trap and is bleeding out while the rest of his team beats the boss and earns a complete heal. Survives thanks to the complete heal, but gets bugged when everyone else leaves the level and he's left behind. Dungeon resets for the next isekai group and he has to PUNCH DIRT to survive. Then the usual korean grind-mindset sets in and poo poo goes bonkers.

This one gets real dumb in the best ways, though lately (at least as of the last chapter on mangadex, which is a couple behind that site) it's kind of felt like it's been spinning its wheels a bit. Still a fun read if you like MC's who do dumb poo poo and has it work out.

khy posted:

As for a good JP isekai I like a lot :

https://mangadex.org/title/958e98b6-c63c-4309-b912-d91a0c9f12e1/manuke-na-fps-player-ga-isekai-e-ochita-baai - A Stupid FPS Player Falls to Another World. MC is playing a VRMMO FPS game and falls off the map. Somehow transported to another world, can summon guns and poo poo. I personally like it for two reasons - 1) it doesn't pull punches with violence, death, and gore. 2) (MAJOR spoiler for the latest chapters) The MC actually finds out he can't return to Earth because he's dead, and instead of going "Oh well guess I'll just live here then" he actually has a real legit panic attack and existential crisis that does a lot to humanize him that other series lack

I enjoyed this one, because FPS Isekai is a bit of a different take for me. And it does end up doing a better job of humanizing your typical OP protagonist than other series do.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

I enjoyed this one, because FPS Isekai is a bit of a different take for me. And it does end up doing a better job of humanizing your typical OP protagonist than other series do.

It also introduces a real good drawback for the MC in terms of having to balance out power with resources, since he has to kill monsters to get crystals and use crystals on his powers he's constantly having to balance out "Do I use a weaker weapon to conserve CP, or a more powerful one that chews through resources faster" which blows up in his face at least once. Having strong powers with a good drawback makes him far more interesting than the typical "Goes completely 100% nuclear with zero consequences" OP isekai protag.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
here is a pretty decent isekai with some extremely questionable choices made. class gets isekai'd, one girl actually gets downgraded to the lowest possible level instead of boosted. so the rest of the class jeers at her while she is booted out. only, the girl in question is not quite right in the head...

i liked it enough to read ahead in the wn, but shortly after the current translated manga they introduce a horny contracted succubus/lazy demon lord/dojikko maid. she's basically that gag from welcome to the nhk. it just makes me feel secondhand embarrassment for the author.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

khy posted:

https://w2.swordkingstory.com/ - Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World. TL;DR - Dude is summoned to isekai land, but when 'god' or whomever is installing his cheats they encounter a glitch. He gets stuck in tutorial mode for like, 20 years - during which he cannot level up past level 5. God eventually finds out and dumps him into the world thinking at level 5 he's to weak and will just die, but turns out that 20 years fighting in the tutorial world gave him crazy stupid strength. The add in some really interesting poo poo about Isekai'ed people being drug-crazed murderers, level restrictions on everyday items that results in stupid funny poo poo, and the MC definitely being broke-brained suppressed PTSD for living 20 years in a nightmare hellworld of nonstop violence and murder means someday he will very, very likely snap in a horrific fashion.

Sword King is pretty great, it provides some very good plot, also the reason he has stupid power is tutorial world matched him to an appropriate opponent dog every day or something. So every single day he would have to fight something basically just below his level. Also the god is the god of evil and hate who summoned them all, and keeps throwing waves of kidnapped humans at this other world because eventually he will win he figures

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Sonny Boy is the greatest isekai and everyone should watch it

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
One could say it's the most isekai of all isekais

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Nemo2342 posted:

I was actually thinking of Isekai Cheat Magic Swordsman, but it's good to know that there are more Isekai Cheat Magic Whatevers and they're all painfully generic.

For my own contribution, I present Kuro No Shoukanshi. It's another one in the speedrunning vein, where the pacing is just ridiculously hectic. Unlike Kyoukai Meikyuu though it at least tries to pretend that there's some kind of tension, since the OP MC is a battle junkie constantly jumping into dangerous fights. What really drags it down though is that it absolutely loves to use violence against women as the way to signpost who the bad guys are.

That makes me think -- is there an actual speedrunning isekai, where the MC doesn't have any in-context powers-qua-powers but they remember how hilariously broken the physics in this world are, so they deliberately overflow their pockets with acorns giving them infinite money, get into the demon lord's castle by wallhumping a tree for three hours and then using their infinite momentum to leap the walls, etc? Could be a funny gag manga.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Test Pattern posted:

That makes me think -- is there an actual speedrunning isekai, where the MC doesn't have any in-context powers-qua-powers but they remember how hilariously broken the physics in this world are, so they deliberately overflow their pockets with acorns giving them infinite money, get into the demon lord's castle by wallhumping a tree for three hours and then using their infinite momentum to leap the walls, etc? Could be a funny gag manga.

I got you

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
It is a crime there isn't more of that one translated.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

That was definitely the first one that came to mind, and it's a shame that both the manga and web novel translations seem to have stalled out.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Overall, though, I really appreciated some of the stuff we get from Atou's perspective, and will almost certainly buy the next book when it drops.

So I read volume 2 last night instead of sleeping.

1) The introduction of the twins is a lot more gut wrenching when they spell things out
2) Atou and Ira in love continues to be adorable and I wish there was a bit more of it
3) The loli jokes go on for far too long, much like in the manga
4) There's an extended boob joke for some reason
5) As you probably expected from the previous story arc, there's a reminder of just how horrific our team can be when poo poo goes south

I really like the new hero unit though. Ilsa being a mom to everyone is definitely the kind of counterbalance we needed to Atou and Ira's childish antics. It was also good to finally get a peek at what one of the other "evil" players is like.

On the whole I really enjoyed it, though realistically speaking about half the book is stuff we've already seen in the manga so that wasn't much of a surprise.

Volume 3 comes out in April and deals with Mynoghra finally confronting one of the other isekaied leaders, an RPG playing as the demon king.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Nemo2342 posted:

So I read volume 2 last night instead of sleeping.

1) The introduction of the twins is a lot more gut wrenching when they spell things out
2) Atou and Ira in love continues to be adorable and I wish there was a bit more of it
3) The loli jokes go on for far too long, much like in the manga
4) There's an extended boob joke for some reason
5) As you probably expected from the previous story arc, there's a reminder of just how horrific our team can be when poo poo goes south

I really like the new hero unit though. Ilsa being a mom to everyone is definitely the kind of counterbalance we needed to Atou and Ira's childish antics. It was also good to finally get a peek at what one of the other "evil" players is like.

On the whole I really enjoyed it, though realistically speaking about half the book is stuff we've already seen in the manga so that wasn't much of a surprise.

Volume 3 comes out in April and deals with Mynoghra finally confronting one of the other isekaied leaders, an RPG playing as the demon king.

Definitely agree with most of this. Mynoghra's been fun, but the sex jokes are not as funny as the author seems to think they are. Ilsa is great. I wish Mynoghra was less hand-wavey about how the civ interacts with having creepy yet extremely friendly monsters around, Atou and Ira feel like characters with a lot of underused potential.

I'd say the manga is probably the strongest way to experience Mynoghra right now, the illustrations do a ton of work selling Mynoghra's hosed up yet cute aesthetic. The medics in particular, I feel like the translated light novel doesn't really do their capering clown routines justice. Still, I'm having enough fun that I'm glad of the chance to send some money the author's way buying this official release. Tentative recommendation, but you'll probably like the manga better.

Anybody have recommendations for a manga or light novel that does inhuman monster buddies with a bit more depth?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Girl has an Otome style fallout from her wedding. Escapes to a mansion with a supermage MC. He teaches her how to have fun and enjoy unhealthy food
https://mangadex.org/title/28c3b97b-6d2f-4a6c-9f97-a826f0b16f05/konyakuhaki-sareta-reijou-wo-hirotta-ore-ga-ikenai-koto-wo-oshiekomu

Fantasy story about a guy who keeps trying to sell out his kingdom for money, but fails and instead gets progressively more fame
https://mangadex.org/title/24c0f6c0-ec09-4b83-ab52-a855283bb6e3/souda-baikoku-shiyou-tensai-ouji-no-akaji-kokka-saisei-jutsu

Super adventurer retires, goes off to live in the sticks. Fair warning, some chapters have actual sex scenes so
https://mangadex.org/title/f9b82990-7198-4131-84bb-c952830f5ea7/a-rank-boukensha-no-slow-life

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

avoraciopoctules posted:

Definitely agree with most of this. Mynoghra's been fun, but the sex jokes are not as funny as the author seems to think they are. Ilsa is great. I wish Mynoghra was less hand-wavey about how the civ interacts with having creepy yet extremely friendly monsters around, Atou and Ira feel like characters with a lot of underused potential.

I'd say the manga is probably the strongest way to experience Mynoghra right now, the illustrations do a ton of work selling Mynoghra's hosed up yet cute aesthetic. The medics in particular, I feel like the translated light novel doesn't really do their capering clown routines justice. Still, I'm having enough fun that I'm glad of the chance to send some money the author's way buying this official release. Tentative recommendation, but you'll probably like the manga better.

Anybody have recommendations for a manga or light novel that does inhuman monster buddies with a bit more depth?

I personally slightly prefer the LN, just because there's been a lot of things that were too subtle for me to catch in the manga (though they're obvious once I knew about them). However I think either way of enjoying it is going to be fine; there's nothing important missing from the manga and it is wonderfully upsetting how they illustrate poo poo going south.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Fantasy story about a guy who keeps trying to sell out his kingdom for money, but fails and instead gets progressively more fame
https://mangadex.org/title/24c0f6c0-ec09-4b83-ab52-a855283bb6e3/souda-baikoku-shiyou-tensai-ouji-no-akaji-kokka-saisei-jutsu

I'm a little behind on the LNs at this point (though they're way ahead of the manga) but I can second this recommendation. It's a really fun watching Wein try to find ways to be able to ditch his nation, only to have the plans wildly succeed and just load him up with even more responsibility.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Super adventurer retires, goes off to live in the sticks. Fair warning, some chapters have actual sex scenes so
https://mangadex.org/title/f9b82990-7198-4131-84bb-c952830f5ea7/a-rank-boukensha-no-slow-life

The "suggestive" tag is really putting in some work with this series, huh? I liked it, especially the secondary couple who are more interesting the MC and his love interest. However I do feel like if you're going to showcase a bunch of food in your manga maybe you should learn how to draw it first so it's not so jarring seeing the style change all the time.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Girl has an Otome style fallout from her wedding. Escapes to a mansion with a supermage MC. He teaches her how to have fun and enjoy unhealthy food
https://mangadex.org/title/28c3b97b-6d2f-4a6c-9f97-a826f0b16f05/konyakuhaki-sareta-reijou-wo-hirotta-ore-ga-ikenai-koto-wo-oshiekomu

Mmmm. Delicious trash.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

This is an adaptation of an actual pornographic web novel, so having sex scenes seems natural. The famously isekai-infested WN portal Narou has sister sites for R18 erotica, the male-oriented one being called Nocturne. There's actually been a whole bunch of its more highly ranked titles getting manga lately, so I've been curious if any made it into English yet.

Some examples would be Road to Kingdom, Sex & Dungeon, Sekkaku Cheat, Marquis Eldest Son, Gang of Yuusha, Zombie no Afureta Sekai, Kyokuchi Renai, etc.

I do know Maou no Hajimekata even got licensed somehow, which was a bit of a shock, but I guess the manga toned things down.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

khy posted:

this is my absolute favorite isekai story, it's great on every level. good characters, good premise, good action, a lot of really interesting twists in the plot. official translation on Tapas, for what it's worth. i cannot recommend it enough

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Venuz Patrol posted:

this is my absolute favorite isekai story, it's great on every level. good characters, good premise, good action, a lot of really interesting twists in the plot. official translation on Tapas, for what it's worth. i cannot recommend it enough

:hfive: Not sure it's my absolute favorite Isekai but it's definitely in the top 3.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There was a translator group working on a bunch of stories like that but I can't remember the name of them anymore.

I'll recommend Solo Leveling

A story of stat leveling and monsters. It's like a reverse isekai where all of it occurs in little dungeon raids into portals that take you to different environments. The story starts with MC barely scraping by as the bottom of the barrel weakest member of the guild doing his best to keep being brought along into dungeon dives just to barely break even. And then they find a double dungeon and barely manage to escape while he dies just as the mission is complete and starts managing to claw his way up to being semi-competent to superhuman and then beyond. The art style is fantastic and the fact that it's weekly just blows me away because I can't imagine maintaining that quality constantly.

And also A Returner's Magic Should Be Special

I skipped this one for a long time because the title didn't grab me but this is the manga I'm most excited to read. It's a fantasy story of the main character trying to prevent the apocalypse coming and wiping out humanity (Or quite as much of it) by uniting nobles and commoners to get everyone better training and education so that when the dragon shows up, they don't have to rely on the 6 phenomenally strong people on the planet already to bear most of the weight as everyone dies around them. It's really fun to read because while he's got foreknowledge of what's going to happen, he's still hamstrung by lack of equipment and just not having a huge mana pool to cast incredible spells like everyone else. I'll be honest, even though I like it a lot, I don't really have a complete grasp on how the magic system works. I think if you analyze a spell then you can cast it in return even if it's above your circle level.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The second one sounds a bit like Villainess Level 99 ~I may be the Hidden Boss but I’m not the Demon Lord~

Which is a kind of fun one in that the protagonist is overpowered strong and trying to stop the big bad, but is treated with suspicion due to her powers. She basically ends up in the same scenario of trying to train other people up to her level but due to her social awkwardness tries to put them through the nightmare "kill or be killed" leveling she did out of efficiency.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

RareAcumen posted:

There was a translator group working on a bunch of stories like that but I can't remember the name of them anymore.

I'll recommend Solo Leveling

Solo Leveling was pretty good early on, then it hits the Isekai curve and gets stupid. Really, I didn't have any issues with it until the mandatory evil Japanese show up as in all Korean Isekais. It's still good if you like trash isekai where the MC just murders everything because he's so special (and I do) and it doesn't have tooo much of the normal offensive trash stuff.

I haven't read returner because the name and cover art made me think it was going to have a completely different premise than that. I'll give it a shot.

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended

RareAcumen posted:

I skipped this one for a long time because the title didn't grab me but this is the manga I'm most excited to read. It's a fantasy story of the main character trying to prevent the apocalypse coming and wiping out humanity (Or quite as much of it) by uniting nobles and commoners to get everyone better training and education so that when the dragon shows up, they don't have to rely on the 6 phenomenally strong people on the planet already to bear most of the weight as everyone dies around them. It's really fun to read because while he's got foreknowledge of what's going to happen, he's still hamstrung by lack of equipment and just not having a huge mana pool to cast incredible spells like everyone else. I'll be honest, even though I like it a lot, I don't really have a complete grasp on how the magic system works. I think if you analyze a spell then you can cast it in return even if it's above your circle level.

I can't recommend this comic enough, the characters are pretty great, and the MC isn't an awful person like a lot of protagonists. The setting and the story is fun, especially for the first 100 chapters or so. I personally am getting a bit bored of the current storyline, but when the comic is on, it is really on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The junk collector posted:

I haven't read returner because the name and cover art made me think it was going to have a completely different premise than that. I'll give it a shot.

AnxiousSloth posted:

I can't recommend this comic enough, the characters are pretty great, and the MC isn't an awful person like a lot of protagonists. The setting and the story is fun, especially for the first 100 chapters or so. I personally am getting a bit bored of the current storyline, but when the comic is on, it is really on.

Yeah I'm not an editor and I'm really bad at summarizing things succinctly. The initial arc of the story is getting a lot of plate spinning. He's got to earn awards and notoriety as a commoner so that we he's trying to get people to trust his judgement and start raising concerns about the class segegation and quality of learning nobles and commoners are getting people actually listen. And get a team set up and make sure that people who died early on get more skills and training earlier to prevent that. And prepare for the Shadow World challenges (Basically dungeon dives into a moment of history with a quest to achieve that the school gives them as exams) so they get those artifacts that he so desperately needs to stay competitive. It's a lot. The main reason why he's able to accomplish so much is because he was in the apocalypse for 10 years before everything reset so he's got way more experience than most of his peers even though he doesn't have the raw magical energy of most mages. That and he's one of the best magic analysts on that hemisphere.

Thankfully the magic makes sense even though the spells just kinda come out of nowhere one after the other as they counteract each other. So it's not a case of boulder vs meteor as it is fog of war vs wind sniping. And don't worry, the rest of the group is also great it's not all about the main character.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Returner is decent but I found the MC's magic stuff to be poorly explained. I think I get it now but his skill set feels arbitrary. Outside of that, it's a decent enough action bit. I don't think I have anything too much to complain about yet aside from the MC bit.

I liked Solo Levelling but yeah, the writing went from mediocre to awful after a certain point. It's still worth trying out, drop it when you want to.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I felt like Returner explained his base skillset well enough: spells are cast using formula and patterns and moving mana in specific ways to get it to do things you want. He is very skilled at messing with other people's patterns, to insert the smallest changes possible in order to cancel or twist their spells to his benefit.

His new... dragon magic stuff is weirder to me, and a lot more boring.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gory Yuri manga, girl has a skill that reverses effects, gets a cool sword which turns her into isekai Wolverine. I would normally pass this up cause of its edginess, but I confess chapter 7 did a lot to redeem the story for me.
Prob the most unique usage of the analyze box I saw in this genre.
Fair warning, it's very violent and gory.

https://mangadex.org/title/25e145f0-a74f-48b6-9d89-b715e28f6417/do-you-think-someone-like-you-could-defeat-the-demon-lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, I've read the first two novels of the LN translation* of that, didn't know there was a manga. Hell yeah.

*The translation's title is great. Roll Over and Die: I Will Fight for an Ordinary Life with My Love and Cursed Sword!

A heads-up, though: it certainly earns it's Horror tag and dark leanings. There's some Stuff going down and it's got the MC's number. (Also not technically an Isekai, but it fits the patterns aside from nobody being from another world.)

It looks like Seven Seas also picked up the manga, which is nice since Mangadex is missing the first chapter.