Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha dude what is with the sound effect the Discovery made when it used the spore drive? Sounded like a little cartoon whimpering! Was that in previous seasons, I don't beleive so!?!

It sounded like the alien fighters from Independence Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
whenever I think of spaceship noises, I think to some Episode 1 featurette where these foley artists were all loving jazzed as poo poo to be recording janky fans or some fuckin tube they swung around. I'm not even making fun of it, foley artistry is rad and there's no wrong choices really. I'm guessing the squeak is do to some upgrade made to the spore drive.

I liked the episode, Burnham basically failing the test was a cool move. They really couldn't help themselves at the end by setting up some big galactic problem, seems drastic to alderaan a planet as a plot device here.

Prodigy episode was good, I think it's grown on me. I sincerely hope Jenkem Pog survives to become an adult featured on a Trek live action show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

G-III posted:

I didn't hate this new episode, liked burnham finally getting admonished (somewhat) for her bullshit.

Thing that didn't make much sense to me: 900 years later and the federation is still using the same test?

It's still the same name, probably not exactly the same test. You'd think they'd change the name though, the test being rigged can't possibly be kept secret from all cadets forever. Somebody is going to talk.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is there actually a character called Jenkem or is this just a running thread joke?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is there actually a character called Jenkem or is this just a running thread joke?

both

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I see, carry on.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Holo Janeway is cool. The moment where she briefly panics(?) and wonders what the Real Janeway would do was very interesting, maybe more than her not knowing about the protostar drive

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Technowolf posted:

Completely off-the-cuff theory: The Kelvans are firing gravity bullets at the Milky Way in retaliation for what Kirk did to their scouting party.

Who are the kelvans

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Weren't they the aliens that took over the enterprise to get back home to another galaxy and turned people into salt cubes when they disobeyed?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
If the planet is sentient why are they just walking about and not being...eaten? The entire episode what the planet decides to do is really random and it totally removes all feeling of peril. Which might be on purpose I guess, since it's for kids? I dunno.

Why would Gwyn understand what Terraform means and why would her saying "no, not terrorform, TERRAform" work?
All the language things in this are stupid, they should REALLY not have gone down that path with it. The universal translator is magic and making the jokes they do with it just focuses attention on it.

When the acid rain falls only certain drops of it seem to do anything. Like it's falling all around but they hold out their hand and that's the only time it burns them.
What are klingons doing on this planet?! Although I guess we did meet those klingons in the delta quadrant in Voyager.
The sorta "the alpha quadrant is super close" feel is very strange so far. The federation are mysterious to the Diviner but ALSO here's a klingon sword and I know all about it.

At least we know how the protostar got so far now!

Also the biggest strange bit of these episodes is that they seem to end really suddenly. Like it was just one big show they've slashed up into bits.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MillennialVulcan posted:

Weren't they the aliens that took over the enterprise to get back home to another galaxy and turned people into salt cubes when they disobeyed?
Correct

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
random Disco S4E1 thoughts

• the new uniforms are cool, the old jumpsuits never really worked for me
  • I enjoyed the "everybody brainstorms to solve a problem" bit in the opening scene
  • feels like we're getting slightly more character time for the supporting cast, though that level was previously "zero"
  • I really like the Federation president as a foil to Burnham, her pointedly asking why Burnham was leaving the ship during a red alert and her line at the end about how Burnham can be a massive liability because of her messiah complex both sets up an interesting season-long conflict and feels like the writers acknowledging they lean on her too much to resolve plots
  • I wish modern Star Trek writers would stop eradicating planets to establish the scope of a threat

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ramadu posted:

Who are the kelvans

MillennialVulcan posted:

Correct, in “By Any Other Name”. Kirk didn’t actually do anything bad to them, just convinced them to abort their quest for colonial empire. But otoh they were assholes and it’s implied their imperialist masters who sent them out are even bigger assholes, so why not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's still the same name, probably not exactly the same test. You'd think they'd change the name though, the test being rigged can't possibly be kept secret from all cadets forever. Somebody is going to talk.

It's not even rigged, it's just a test designed to test certain important leadership qualities. Presumably they all have some idea that it exists, but they might not know when they're taking it. Sometimes they do I guess, which is dumb, but seems pretty sensible to have a test that makes sure the people in charge can do the things expected of them.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

So are they ever going to bother explain why that character, who is canonically dead, is somehow alive again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hePARHCNwnM

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Harold's grandson.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I don't like "Let's flyTM."

I would prefer "Make it fly." Or maybe, "Enfly."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tarlibone posted:

I don't like "Let's flyTM."

I would prefer "Make it fly." Or maybe, "Enfly."
“Let’s cry”

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

“Let’s cry”

Lavender alert! All hands to welcome stations!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Federation president as audience stand-in might get old, might not... we'll see!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Another Disco S4E1 thought.

OK, so Book's planet is exploded. Aren't the Kwejians key to the spore drive getting wider adaptation? You need a humanoid pilot to talk to the mushrooms. Stamets could do it because of his DNA manipulation. Kwejians can pilot because of their empath abilities. With the planet dead, that leaves Stamets, Book, and whichever other Kwejians happened to be off planet as possible pilots. Maybe they'll just say Betazoids can do it too, but if not that might be another possible plot point moving forward.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, the audience hates this about the character? Then it's a character flaw. Enjoy!

It's a flaw that's not actually a flaw. It's like when the interviewer asks you what your greatest weakness is, and you say, "Well, I guess I just care too much and work too hard sometimes!"

But still, I enjoyed the episode. I think they've really improved the show aesthetically. Thankfully, they reconsidered the "Nazi gray for everyone, with one sad colored stripe" uniforms from the end of last season, and the new ones are a great improvement. And the ship interior no longer looks like a cave lit by a single industrial fluorescent tube.

I'm not entirely sure how Stamets made the career transition from mycologist to chief engineer, but what the hell, it's Trek.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

OK, so Book's planet is exploded. Aren't the Kwejians key to the spore drive getting wider adaptation? You need a humanoid pilot to talk to the mushrooms. Stamets could do it because of his DNA manipulation. Kwejians can pilot because of their empath abilities. With the planet dead, that leaves Stamets, Book, and whichever other Kwejians happened to be off planet as possible pilots. Maybe they'll just say Betazoids can do it too, but if not that might be another possible plot point moving forward.

I mean, an obvious outcome of this is Discovery's drive stays unique while they move forward with the new engines being refit onto Voyager

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha dude what is with the sound effect the Discovery made when it used the spore drive? Sounded like a little cartoon whimpering! Was that in previous seasons, I don't beleive so!?!

It was the sound the President made. She just recovered her cool rather quickly after the jump, that's all.

Anyway, reactions to today's episodes:

Disco... good? I'm, like, actually kind of liking the characters and digging the storylines instead of just watching the whole thing like an unfolding train wreck? I'm not sure how to process all that.

Prodigy... also good. It's shaping up into a pretty decent kid's show. Smaller kids can identify with Rok, older ones with either Dal or Gwyn. (Speaking of which, Dal was a lot less annoying this time, a trend that I hope continues.) They're keeping the moral lessons (friends look out for each other, or doing the right thing isn't always the easy thing) embedded in the plot instead of being blatant and patronizing. And the bridge of the Protostar seems like a really easy place to imagine yourself having adventures.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

wow they said "shitshow" and nobody's making GBS threads their pants over it yet

It was dumb and it would have been better if they hadn't.

That sound effect was lol

This show is :smug::agesilaus::smuggo: as ever

Book's ship flying apart for no reason is still dumb

All that said, this was definitely a top 5 disco ep

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Khanstant posted:

There have been multiple times that they played a stupid cartoony sound effect as the Discovery spun and warped. I just assumed it's this running joke that nobody's laughed with but have laughed at as the show has aired.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Selachian posted:

It's a flaw that's not actually a flaw. It's like when the interviewer asks you what your greatest weakness is, and you say, "Well, I guess I just care too much and work too hard sometimes!"

But still, I enjoyed the episode. I think they've really improved the show aesthetically. Thankfully, they reconsidered the "Nazi gray for everyone, with one sad colored stripe" uniforms from the end of last season, and the new ones are a great improvement. And the ship interior no longer looks like a cave lit by a single industrial fluorescent tube.

I'm not entirely sure how Stamets made the career transition from mycologist to chief engineer, but what the hell, it's Trek.

It is definitely a flaw.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

happyhippy posted:

You know the only thing Burnham didn't do this episode was steer the ship and be the president.
And explode planets.

Don’t be hasty there’s nothing to prove she didn’t blow up those planets

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I tried to watch the new disco and only got half way through the episode before I had to turn it off. Presumably at some point something other than jack-off lip quivery speeches happens, but I couldn't take any more.

This show feels like it's written by millionaires. I don't know how else to describe how phoney it feels to me

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

the goofy spore drive sound is so terriblel

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

“Let’s cry”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hellblazer187 posted:

Wasn't the animal empathy thing a rare mutation, not something all his people had? I remember something about the rest of his family being hunters. So there were never many of them anyway.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I just realized that the fact Book doesn't have the vial around his neck means if nobody else on that planet was off-world (which the bad-writing Gods will probably agree to) then there's no more vials of that Mana Tree sap left in existence. Watch that be a major plot point for this season, too; finding the one off-worlder who still has that sap.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I just realized that the fact Book doesn't have the vial around his neck means if nobody else on that planet was off-world (which the bad-writing Gods will probably agree to) then there's no more vials of that Mana Tree sap left in existence. Watch that be a major plot point for this season, too; finding the one off-worlder who still has that sap.

It's fine because in true star trek tradition the whole population of an entire spacefaring planet will have been a small quorum of elders and a couple of villagers hanging out in some tiny meeting hall

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is this the same planet that Books and his lot were moving rare animals to?
If so, lol.

naem
May 29, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

This show feels like it's written by millionaires. I don't know how else to describe how phoney it feels to me

it feels like all of reality is being written by millionaires lately, and not the kind of cool self made people who earned that money but their naive great grandkids who don’t understand how money works it just, shows up for them and that’s how life works right? just ask your dad for a small loan of a million dollars

naem
May 29, 2011

*writer explaining human concepts to millionaire show runner*

“so people often have hopes and dreams, of things they want but don’t have, and then challenges attempting to get them, and disappointments where what they want doesn’t happen”

*millionaire struggling to understand*

“Not, have, what want? But, why not have what want! When I want thing, thing happen! Thing what want good, me get what want, therefore me good, me am center of universe! Right??”

*small army of paid servants coo soothingly at millionaire*

*writer*

“Also sometimes groups of people work together to get things they want and need, and other groups also want those things, this can lead to conflict. Conflicts are a theme of this show”

*money person*

“Well when I don’t get what I want, I throw a temper tantrum until I get my way as if seemly by magic, so show me angry yelling! And Space magic!”

*cooing noises*

*writer*

“Also people can have ‘feelings’ related to ‘conflict’ and that is also a theme”

“Well I still don’t understand this not having everything you want concept but I do understand feelings, that is like when the servants cry. When I beat them. I like crying! Show me crying, yelling, and Space Magic!”

*someone from the back of the room*

“GRIMDARK!!!!!”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Barry Foster posted:

I tried to watch the new disco and only got half way through the episode before I had to turn it off.

I want to watch the show. I mean, it's Trek. But it's just not doing anything for me. It's not the worst thing I ever watched (I made it through all seven season of Dexter), but when I see it listed, I'm just, meh.

I think I realised I'm never going to watch another episode when I turned it off after 15 minutes and went and washed the dishes instead. I can't remember the last time I was so uninspired by a show that housework seemed preferable.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Selachian posted:

As Peachfart mentioned, it is definitely a flaw, and was called out in TNG as a flaw, in at least two episodes: Where Troi takes the command test and, as part of the scenario, has to order Geordi to his death to save the ship, and in an earlier one where Wesley is trying to get into Starfleet and is faced with the situation where his dad died.

Obviously, no ship captain wants his or her crew to die, but they're going to find themselves in situations where .trying to save everyone at all costs just gets everybody killed.

Anyway, I liked the episode, and sort of appreciated that Tilly got a role as the older, experienced voice of reason putting a damper on Adira's impulsiveness and gung-ho nature. Weirdly enough, I was bothered more by the death of Nalas than the destruction of Kwejian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This is completely unfounded, but I get a weird feeling Kwejian isn’t totally gone. Gravitational distortions can do a lot of reality fuckery, as is Trek tradition.