Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mailer posted:

I'm not even entirely sure how much was a prophecy and how much was you agreeing to do whatever random undead/serpents told you to. You get stronger because videogames but that's not your goal.
They're the same thing, right? The prophecy of the Chosen Undead is a lie spun by the gods, and undead and serpents suckered by it are propagating it. The intention is to motivate all the undead into taking on the impossible task of amassing enough soul power and then sacrificing themselves to link the flame -- you're a tool for concentrating flammable material, becoming as strong as a minor god is indeed part of the goal. Nothing is assured, but given enough attempts one of the miserable wretches eventually succeeds, and that's the "Chosen Undead". And the cruel thing is this is all against humanity's interest, since dark is their nature and they'll reign in the age of dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
I've always felt like, in Demon's, leveling up through consuming souls was answering the question "why does killing things in RPGs make you stronger?" And the answer's kind of horrible- you get stronger because you're killing and consuming the life force of powerful beings that, in turn, got powerful by killing and consuming the life force of Boletaria's citizens.

It kind of works with how all the humans who have leveled up enough to ascend beyond humanity and turn into demons are pretty pathetic- the fun boss version of Allant you fight is a fake and the real thing's a blob of slime, the Old Monk dies when you show up and has to summon someone else to actually fight you, and Astraea is terminally depressed and spends her fight begging you to leave.

Maybe I was reading too much into it, but it seemed like a commentary about the relationship between power, violence and greed. And in Dark Souls some of that's still there- do you really want to become Gwyn's successor as a lord? But that's a lot vaguer, as is the 'leveling up using souls=horrible violence' part of the equation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

They're the same thing, right? The prophecy of the Chosen Undead is a lie spun by the gods, and undead and serpents suckered by it are propagating it. The intention is to motivate all the undead into taking on the impossible task of amassing enough soul power and then sacrificing themselves to link the flame -- you're a tool for concentrating flammable material, becoming as strong as a minor god is indeed part of the goal. Nothing is assured, but given enough attempts one of the miserable wretches eventually succeeds, and that's the "Chosen Undead". And the cruel thing is this is all against humanity's interest, since dark is their nature and they'll reign in the age of dark.

Oh, you wanna overthrow the status quo eh hosed up little man?

We'll see how you feel when we give you billions of dollars and rocketships and yachts and sacrifice sex islands :smuggo:

You'll do what you're told!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

pressing X to gently caress the potman

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

acksplode posted:

And the cruel thing is this is all against humanity's interest, since dark is their nature and they'll reign in the age of dark.

I interpret it as being against everyones interest since the nature of the world is cyclical. The dragons had their time and then they were toppled and almost eradicated. After that is the age of fire which is heavily tied to Gwyn's soul of light. But that age has gone on for too long and no fire can burn forever. This causes the dark sign as the fabric of a dying world starts tearing. You can delay death by adding fuel but that only works for so long and for every added cycle the world rots a little more and a little faster (which we see in ds3).

The right thing to do is to accept that nothing lasts forever and allow the world to move on to the next cycle where dark will reign instead of light. Darkness isn't inherently evil, it's just the opposite of light. It's the hubris in forcing the continuation of the current age endlessly that harms the world. This hubris is very understandable however since raging against the dying of the light is a very human impulse.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 19, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

you idiots, buffoons

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

you idiots, buffoons

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1/2/3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro are actually about pushing old men down stairs because they suck and ruin the world.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

you idiots, buffoons

Dark Souls can be about more than one thing. It might be a little bit more about how cool skeletons with swords are than the lore nerds might like, though.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Chard posted:

pressing X to gently caress the potman

Buddy,

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

if someone, even after playing all of them, cannot find it in themself to recognize how miyazaki games are loving chock full of myriad political symbols and commentaries relevant to our own age...such a person is a moron and a waste of skin

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

if someone, even after playing all of them, cannot find it in themself to recognize how miyazaki games are loving chock full of myriad political symbols and commentaries relevant to our own age...such a person is a moron and a waste of skin

Miyazaki: if two onion knights were on a beach at the base of a yggdrasil tree, and one killed the other with a rock, would that be hosed up or what?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Miyazaki: if two onion knights were on a beach at the base of a yggdrasil tree, and one killed the other with a rock, would that be hosed up or what?

also this

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sum Gai posted:

Maybe I was reading too much into it, but it seemed like a commentary about the relationship between power, violence and greed. And in Dark Souls some of that's still there- do you really want to become Gwyn's successor as a lord? But that's a lot vaguer, as is the 'leveling up using souls=horrible violence' part of the equation.

It's explicitly the cost of the soul arts, or at least that's the description given. I'm not exactly sure if there's a safe amount of magic, or if magic inherently leads to a lust for power that will always doom the world, but both shots at this people have screwed it up. You're fighting the second invasion caused by someone making the world awesome then ruining it all when they decide to turn it up to 11 so maybe the monumentals got it right the first time.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Prophecy of the chosen undead = sigma male grindset. Oscar's hustle was sapped by haters until he became bluepilled and he left you his collection of Gwyn NFTs.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So, is demon's souls worth it for £43? Was hoping it would come down a little more than that.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1/2/3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro are actually about pushing old men down stairs because they suck and ruin the world.

I was going to argue Sekiro in that the Oldest Man actively tries to help you move the world forward until he's reincarnated by his grandson to fulfill his dying wish but the other Old Men are definitely ruining the world so really it comes out in a wash.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Frankston posted:

So, is demon's souls worth it for £43? Was hoping it would come down a little more than that.

Definitely

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Frankston posted:

take youre precious Demon’s Souls…

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

GodFish posted:

I was going to argue Sekiro in that the Oldest Man actively tries to help you move the world forward until he's reincarnated by his grandson to fulfill his dying wish but the other Old Men are definitely ruining the world so really it comes out in a wash.

I loved this about sekiro, two old men and one is actually good, but ooops, a young man’s vain dying wish caused by the former glory of said old good man literally forces him to come back from the dead to kill you even tho it’s the exact opposite of what he wants.
But also I’m still torn between: Isshin fights you because it’s Genny’s dying wish and he has to honour it, or the that the power of the black gate forces Isshin to fight you against his will

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Isshin tries to transcend his hosed up Gwyn-ness by becoming your drinking buddy and surrogate dad (after your other surrogate dad murders you as part of his schemes). But ultimately, his center could never hold, his coup all those decades ago to reclaim Ashina's independence was nothing more than yet another warlord roiling through the chaos that was the sengoku. Even if Isshin has more honor than most, he's yet another blood-soaked lunatic. Who was outlived by other hosed up old men like Tokugawa and Usui.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Frankston posted:

No interest eh? I can tell you're not going to last long here

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

codo27 posted:

It's the end of Boletaria as we know it

And I feel fiiiine

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

codo27 posted:

This is harsh. Evaluate me.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Why does that NPC who gets transformed into a tree call you ‘Cully’???

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

bop bop perano posted:

Because it's archaic (surprise) english for a man or friend.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

bop bop perano posted:

He's actually saying Sully because Nathan Drake is about to drop down from a ledge and break your neck

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

DS was definitely strongest up to Anor Londo, but like someone else mentioned, Archives and the DLC in general are all good content as well, in my opinion.

I actually really liked the aesthetic for Izalith as well, but I have to say... the decision to put all the dinosaur creatures in the lava that only attack if aggroed was possibly the most baffling decision I have ever seen in a videogame in my life. I just can't fathom who suggested it and how anyone ever thought "yes, this is great, this is what people want."

I played through DS Remastered earlier this year for the first time and felt it was quite a bit stronger than SotFS, in which I've just gotten past the Smelter Demon and I'm a little disappointed that in DS2 the bosses are pathetically easy and the hardest challenge is surviving gank squads so far. I'm a mage this time around so I let myself summon Lucatiel for it though.

I'm pretty hype for Elden Ring. It seems like a good remix of the Dark Souls formula. I hope it's the last time From Software go for this aesthetic though, I'd rather see them branch out and try more varied settings after the success of Bloodborne and Sekiro.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Demon's Souls has my favorite bit of lore in their games - a wooden spear that's "one of the few Revelations from God". So much revealed about the game's universe in a single item description.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aidan_702 posted:

I loved this about sekiro, two old men and one is actually good, but ooops, a young man’s vain dying wish caused by the former glory of said old good man literally forces him to come back from the dead to kill you even tho it’s the exact opposite of what he wants.
But also I’m still torn between: Isshin fights you because it’s Genny’s dying wish and he has to honour it, or the that the power of the black gate forces Isshin to fight you against his will

Yeah I don't think he's forced to fight you at all. He just does because of a combination of his son's(kinda. He calls Isshin "Grandfather" but he was adopted by him and the Ichirou in his name literally means "First son") dying wish and wanting a good fight like the old days

RatHat fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 19, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm glad the stupid area full of lava and half of a dinosaur copy and pasted 100 times exists. it wouldn't exist anywhere else and i'm happy to have seen it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cavauro posted:

i'm glad the stupid area full of lava and half of a dinosaur copy and pasted 100 times exists. it wouldn't exist anywhere else and i'm happy to have seen it

Don't forget the end "boss" with the uncounterable and unblockable sweep that is 100% guaranteed to throw you in a death pit

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

Don't forget the end "boss" with the uncounterable and unblockable sweep that is 100% guaranteed to throw you in a death pit

the intended play is to bait the sweep, run out of its range, and run back through but that gets pretty hard in the side areas

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There'd be a LOT more complaints about Bed of Chaos if the side orbs reset when you died. Thankfully they don't so you can do one orb, die, do the other orb, die, then kill the boss.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

RatHat posted:

There'd be a LOT more complaints about Bed of Chaos if the side orbs reset when you died. Thankfully they don't so you can do one orb, die, do the other orb, die, then kill the boss.

You can even quit through the menu which puts you just outside the fog gate. No dying necessary (but it's likely anyway, gently caress BoC)

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Yeah that boss was pretty garbage, the amount of times I failed the jump onto the root leading into the tunnel to kill it was mind-numbing.

But at least there was actually a thought behind the gimmick even if it was a bad one. The loving dinosaurs though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The dragon asses not aggroing unless you step on their toes is a patch thing. They changed the aggro radius to virtually nothing because people complained that as soon as they walked into the lava multiple dragon asses would charge at them and it was impossible to even see what was going on with the bloom, let alone fight them properly.

Release version Dark Souls was so screwed up lol

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Tbh Dark is my most played but also least liked of the souls games. Demons is the most interesting and Dark 2 is the weird one and Dark 3 is the boring maximalist one (also the "technical prettiest"). Dark is like the glue. I think it holds up well because that run up through to Amor Londo is *chef's kiss*. Also I think the mechanics are a balance of intuitive (lol) and comprehensive. It's kinda like... Idk the Super Turbo of Dark Souls games?

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Dunno. I think Dark Souls is pretty good. Yeah, Lost Izalith is kind of poo poo, but saying everything after Anor Londo is bad is just incomprehensible to me.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Double posting to finish my Street Fighter analogy.

Demons Souls: World Warrior ::
Dark Souls: Super Turbo ::
Dark Souls 2: Vampire ::
Bloodborne: Street Fighter 3 ::
Dark Souls 3: Alpha 3::
Sekiro: uh... Power stone? Sam Sho? Ummm... Sorry idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If that were true, then what is Mortal Kombat, the other IP thats infinitely better? (except for recent poo poo games they fundamentally ruined)