Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

There's still new stuff like memes, and I'm being earnest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i fell in with a bad crowd when i was a teenager (goth weirdos on usenet and irc) so it is not my fault that i like that poo poo. i was an impressionable child.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Watched "Only Murders in the Building" and it is a very good and funny show. I highly recommend this show.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I finished all 17 seasons of Stargate and even with its misses it's a better franchise than star trek or star wars

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mr Hootington posted:

Watched "Only Murders in the Building" and it is a very good and funny show. I highly recommend this show.

I was surprised the old guy was Steve Martin and not Ted Danson. But Steve Martin is funny too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I was surprised the old guy was Steve Martin and not Ted Danson. But Steve Martin is funny too.

Him and Martin Short are hilarious in this. The entire cast is great. Might be the best comedy this year. They manage to skewer and satire everything perfectly.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mr Hootington posted:

Him and Martin Short are hilarious in this. The entire cast is great. Might be the best comedy this year. They manage to skewer and satire everything perfectly.

Might put it on with the parents on Thanksgiving. They both love Steve Martin.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
speaking of "dudes who wrote films so they could work with young women", remember Shopgirl?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

we are at least 20 years into 80s nostalgia. I'm 27 and have been trapped inside a 44 year old man's childhood for my entire living memory
eh, i would say 80s nostalgia didn't really kick off until 2010. which is right about where one would expect given 30-year cycles of middle-age crises.

growing up, I generally experienced far more forrest gump 70s show/forrest gumpy / post-war route-66 / 'classic rock' beetles nostalgia poo poo. again about a 30 year cycle. i would even say 80s music is still underrepresented compared to 'classic rock'. like okay you prob hear a flock of seagulls / pink floyd / rem some other poo poo now that rolls into the rotation.

we're about entering 90s nostalgia now. jncos, grunge rock, salmon pinks n avocado greens, dumb 90s hair, slimfasts

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

eh, i would say 80s nostalgia didn't really kick off until 2010. which is right about where one would expect given 30-year cycles of middle-age crises.

growing up, I generally experienced far more forrest gump 70s show/forrest gumpy / post-war route-66 / 'classic rock' beetles nostalgia poo poo. again about a 30 year cycle. i would even say 80s music is still underrepresented compared to 'classic rock'. like okay you prob hear a flock of seagulls / pink floyd / rem some other poo poo now that rolls into the rotation.

all the stuff youre talking about is late 90s to me. 80s poo poo definitely got worse after drive came out in 2011 but the 'post punk revival' was in like 2003

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

like half of the articles on seanbaby, maddox, the early SA frontpage etc were jokes about he-man and trhe ninja turtles

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

we’ve been in a 90s revival for a while at least fashionwise imo

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
oughts were the 70s, teens the 80s. now we're heading for the nineties and in 2030 someone does 9/11 again

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

tiktoks been really into early 2000s lately

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i feel like culture’s often on a 20 year lag where the people who grew up/came of age 20 years ago start to become successful in their respective creative fields and bring in influences from their youth

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Nov 19, 2021

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
kids in the 2040s watchin tiger king, bakin sourdough bread, makin dalgona coffee, grimacin through zoom happy hours

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
idk I don't have a ton of early 2000s nostalgia cause even though I was a young kid at that time I can still remember everything in culture getting weird and deranged for several years post-9/11

the early internet was cool though. I love the Japanese internet cause it's still on web 1.0 and you can still find a lot of personal sites and stuff

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Casey Finnigan posted:

idk I don't have a ton of early 2000s nostalgia cause even though I was a young kid at that time I can still remember everything in culture getting weird and deranged for several years post-9/11

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i feel like culture’s often on a 20 year lag where the people who grew up/came of age 20 years ago start to become successful in their respective creative friends and bring in influences from their youth
Hmmm... so we're about to be awash in the cultural product created by those who came of age post-911?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4aymnq/how-a-flurry-of-flash-games-on-newgrounds-captured-the-grief-and-anger-of-911

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Two huge recent country songs are nostalgic for the 90’s:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7-eNouHA1U

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FvnY6qn80u0

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i feel like culture’s often on a 20 year lag where the people who grew up/came of age 20 years ago start to become successful in their respective creative fields and bring in influences from their youth
If Disney can keep the MCU going for a couple of years more, they'll hit the nostalgia wave for early MCU stuff.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If Disney can keep the MCU going for a couple of years more, they'll hit the nostalgia wave for early MCU stuff.
The MCU started in 2008 so they have another 7 years at this rate.

They also just announced the nostalgia-mining continuation of the 1992 X-Men animated series starting in 2023, so that's a 31 year delay.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

continue how are they still in the nineties or are all the characters old now

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The United States posted:

The MCU started in 2008 so they have another 7 years at this rate.
Blade will tide them over.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

we are at least 20 years into 80s nostalgia. I'm 27 and have been trapped inside a 44 year old man's childhood for my entire living memory

Look, I'm loving sorry I kept all my hipster poo poo underground and didn't tell anybody about it.
Not that anybody would have care past loving Arcade Fire.

Look I didn't know that culture was going to loving end up making GBS threads itself into oblivion.
If I had know, I would have said Franz Ferdinand is at least okay and maybe told somebody about Gang of Four.

https://www.allmusic.com/
https://music.ishkur.com/
https://www.discogs.com/
https://www.scaruffi.com/

Edit: But it was the loving oughties, it was the mod rules,
You don't ask where they bought their coat from least you be seen as uncool.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 08:45 on Nov 19, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/stephjaurigue/status/1461604820410793985

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Some Guy TT posted:

continue how are they still in the nineties or are all the characters old now
continue right where they left off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

idk I was like 6 years old in the 90s. I had always heard it told that Seattle grunge overtook classic rock and changed the landscape of music, or whatever.

the only songs I can distinctly remember hearing on the radio in the 90s were Killing Me Softly, I Believe I Can Fly, Mambo No. 5, Livin La Vida Loca, and the Every Breath You Take song that P. Diddy wrote about biggie smalls.

the cool thing about mambo no. 5 is that it's a german song created by a group of musicians there to destroy american billboard charts and it worked

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i wasnt really paying attention to the cowboy bebop adaptation but lol that they cast a 50 year old john cho in it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

the early internet was cool though. I love the Japanese internet cause it's still on web 1.0 and you can still find a lot of personal sites and stuff

Yeah, the 00s sucked rear end, i will never be nostalgic for "freedom fries" or any of that stupid patriot crap we were doing back then

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah, the 00s sucked rear end, i will never be nostalgic for "freedom fries" or any of that stupid patriot crap we were doing back then

What about

L
I
M
P

BIZKIT?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Justice League cartoon was great tho

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Eric Cantonese posted:

What about

L
I
M
P

BIZKIT?

Is right here!

People in the house put them hands in the air

Cause if you dont care, then we don't care!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wh- what just happened to me

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

Wh- what just happened to me

sounds like you just kept on rollin

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
everyone complaining about culture being stuck is in their 30s or beyond, kids are still doing new weird poo poo, but with the internet you have to seek it out and no one over 25 is looking for anything new and certainly no one in hollywood is looking to take a risk because no one under 25 has any money

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I think we see what they are doing, those thumbnails..

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The only way I would even consider watching it is if they let Ma Dong-seok have the same role again

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the indonesian dude directing the remake did a fantastically fun short for the most recent V/H/S movie and has done some great action movies in the past. i hope he's doing this for the giant fuckoff paycheck and notoriety so he can go back to making movies that are actually worth making.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Frog Act posted:

the indonesian dude directing the remake did a fantastically fun short for the most recent V/H/S movie and has done some great action movies in the past. i hope he's doing this for the giant fuckoff paycheck and notoriety so he can go back to making movies that are actually worth making.

Oh poo poo yeah - that short was awesome. I haven't seen body horror that well done in like a decade or more

Slightly more on board now but still bring back Ma Dong-seok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The only way I would even consider watching it is if they let Ma Dong-seok have the same role again

:same: