Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not a stupid question at all. Generally Flames of War is really good at showing you a little picture of the squad but it can be hard to make out sometimes. Their current guide seems to be this, which has four men per base, with NCO, 2 Riflemen, and either a third Rifleman or a Brengunner. Seems a little odd to me, because I'm pretty sure the British section was still ten men until after the war, but game be game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They've changed the basing scheme several times, often within an edition! Four per base looks really good and leaves room for some ornamental base dressing.

It might also help to consider that platoons were often below paper strength, with soldiers tasked to other details, not-yet-replaced casualties, etc.

If the 1940s were anything like the 2000s, it'd be weirder to represent a formation where everybody in a unit is present.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Checking my Early War infantry they're four per base too, but only one NCO per section. I guess I'm either misremembering or conflating the various different lists. I remember in 2nd ed you could get wildly varying unit sizes within the same army depending on whether or not your platoon was "motorised" or not etc.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The on-paper canadian infantry section was two NCOs with thompsons or stens, one bren gunner, one assistant, and six riflemen. The higher-ranking NCO would lead six riflemen while the junior one would direct the bren team.

As said, all ten dudes would very likely not be present in combat, given that it was a war.

3-5 dudes per base with the bren gun on one is more-or-less historical. Also possibly a .50 cal machine gun, because while they aren't in the rules, canadian infantry were notoriously fond of stealing the things off lend-lease vehicles.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 18, 2021

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm getting many conflicting answers through google. For flames of war, late war Canadian/UK/Commonwealth in general, what do the infantry teams look like in terms of models and weapons? Most places seem to say four men for rifle/mg, but some pictures have five. And for late war, is every team riflemen and a bren gun, or are some just riflemen? Is two rifle guys, a bren guy, and a sten guy correct? I have PSC commonwealth dudes, so they aren't necessarily the exact breakdown of guys flames of war may want.

It's also worth remembering that the exact number of toys on the base isn't important.

That is to say, there aren't different stats for a 4-man base and a 5-man base. What matters is that the base is easily identifiable as what it is - for example, "these bases are Soviet Rifle squads, those are Soviet SMG squads."

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm getting many conflicting answers through google. For flames of war, late war Canadian/UK/Commonwealth in general, what do the infantry teams look like in terms of models and weapons? Most places seem to say four men for rifle/mg, but some pictures have five. And for late war, is every team riflemen and a bren gun, or are some just riflemen? Is two rifle guys, a bren guy, and a sten guy correct? I have PSC commonwealth dudes, so they aren't necessarily the exact breakdown of guys flames of war may want.

The Rifle/MG team is an abstraction. It basically means that for every two teams in the unit, one of them has an MG (in this case the Bren). It's just easier this way compared to saying that a British platoon had 4 Rifle Teams and 3 MG Teams with different characteristics, especially because it'd be a PITA to check which precise stands have the MG and which don't.

The paper strength of a British section is 10 men (1 NCO with SMG, 8 with Rifles (including 1 NCO) and 1 man withthe Bren), but in practice, these units were often under-strength, so you can probably model 4 men/base and nobody will really care. Also, oftentimes soldiers will "acquire" extra weapons not technically on their TOE, so don't worry about an extra SMG or so in your squad.

https://www.battleorder.org/uk-rifle-co-1944

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 18, 2021

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for the replys everyone, most helpful. I'll probably do four man bases if for no other reason than to have left over individuals for 15mm bolt action. I was just worried someone would give me a hard time about my guys not being 'legal' or what have you.

I'm also glad it doesn't matter too much as I deliberately want my stuff to be useable as a variety of units and time frames, like Poles at Falaise, Canadians at Ortona, Brits in Market garden and so forth.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I was just worried someone would give me a hard time about my guys not being 'legal' or what have you.
No gaming is better than bad gaming. Tell those people to STFU and roll dice or take your mans and go home TBH.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Having done v1/2 FOW, abandoned it, and come back to v4, I greatly prefer standard 4 man bases they have across the board. Not only does it make blister packs last longer, but it looks nicer when based. Five-man stands are too crowded imo.

Source: me trading in a full v1 strelkovy battalion for late war v4 germans.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The new game Silver Bayonet is historical horror in the Napoleonic wars. I’ve been looking around for appropriate miniatures but just buying a box of infantry won’t get me much variety. Is there a good source for era-appropriate personalities?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Beerdeer posted:

The new game Silver Bayonet is historical horror in the Napoleonic wars. I’ve been looking around for appropriate miniatures but just buying a box of infantry won’t get me much variety. Is there a good source for era-appropriate personalities?

Do you have any specific location or theme in mind?

Otherwise, Perry has a lot of sets with personalities and more individually posed minis. The Napoleonics range is stupidly big, but it's worth checking some of the other ranges as well for some hidden gems. For example the Carlist War range, with lots of more armed civilians. Monks with muskets could be just what you're looking for.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product-category/metal-ranges/carlist-war/carlists/

Another good source for interesting sculpts is Brigade Games. Lots of lovely minis mostly made by hobby hero Paul Hicks. Perfect if you want to do something small and unique. Napoleon's Dromedary Corps encountering mummies in Egypt? Ottoman irregulars battling vampires in Transylvania?

https://www.brigadegames.com/Napoleonic_c_278.html

A bit out there, but Flintloque is the original fantasy Napoleonic game. In it, Russians are an undead horde led by vampires and liches. The sculpts are very "old school" but you might find some cool bad guys in the range.

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/the-undead-of-the-dark-czar

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Fantastic, thanks so much

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Fantastic, thanks so much

No worries, if there's anything specific you're looking for don't hesitate to ask.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

There’s also an official Silver Bayonet range at North Star games.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finally figured out a 6mm painting technique I'm happy with. :toot:

Flank companies are printing out now. And yes I know the companies should have different pom colors but I was painting on autopilot.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hell yes brother. You know I'm salivating at those renders of the cavalry Henry posted about the next kickstarter.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Springfield Fatts posted:

Hell yes brother. You know I'm salivating at those renders of the cavalry Henry posted about the next kickstarter.

I'm so mad I have to wait for good Henry-made cavalry, but oh well. I've got other 6mm cavalry I can futz around with til then.

Hm, were there any Napoleonic engagements that didn't involve cavalry?...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I'm so mad I have to wait for good Henry-made cavalry, but oh well. I've got other 6mm cavalry I can futz around with til then.

Hm, were there any Napoleonic engagements that didn't involve cavalry?...

Lots of smaller skirmishes. I’m rereading Thunder on the Danube, and smaller battles where a few battalions, maybe supported by a battery, bounce into each other is relatively common.

What would happen if no cavalry was available was typically that the losing side managed to get away relatively unharmed, since infantry is bad at chasing infantry.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kickstarter for 3D printable 15mm samurai armies: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smolminiatures/samurai-warfare-smol-miniatures?ref=discovery_category_newest

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I have no need for these whatsoever, but wow do I want them. Those look fantastic.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Instantly backed, because even if I never play anything with them, $36 USD for all that is incredible

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Instantly backed, because even if I never play anything with them, $36 USD for all that is incredible

I know, right? Even without stretch goals it's a pretty amazing deal, then you look at how many more units he has planned in the stretch goals and it catapults to an unbelievable value.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think I cracked my screen slamming the button. These look personal and might even scale up to 28mm better than most of what's out there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
One battalion down (okay I'm still waiting on the base material to dry so I can paint and flock it), only... A bunch more to go.

I'm doing the forces that were at Rolica. It seems like a good small engagement to ease in to French vs British. And then maybe I'll find a small Russian engagement since Borodino would be a huge undertaking.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

So, uh...

What are some good samurai games?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Those samurai look great and I might just back it as a rainy day thing whenever I'll hook up with a reliable printer nearby.

In other news, after a week's thought I'm pulling the trigger on converting most of my SP2 guys to Lasalle/General de Brigade. I have way too many, and after playing Lasalle I don't think I'll ever play a big game of SP2 again. It's just soo much smoother. I'll keep a small force (probably the dismounted dragoons and some extras) if I feel like SP2 again later on. The minis will probably be far more useful when turned into another four battalions for Lasalle. That would push the army to the point where it starts to be useful for multiplayer club games. Once at that point I might turn to paint Kaiserlicks to support the Russian army until it can match my Grande Armée in size.

We're also taking about trying out Silver Bayonet as an entryway drug into Napoleonics, given that Frostgrave has been popular at our club. I might not be able to convince them to paint up 200 Austrians, but I might just convince a few of them to play with a handful of Frenchmen from the Dromedary Corps, Mamluk daredevils or capsized English Marines fighting against the newly awoken unholy legion of Amenhotep III.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

One battalion down (okay I'm still waiting on the base material to dry so I can paint and flock it), only... A bunch more to go.

I'm doing the forces that were at Rolica. It seems like a good small engagement to ease in to French vs British. And then maybe I'll find a small Russian engagement since Borodino would be a huge undertaking.

Nice job on them. :)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 20, 2021

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

So, uh...

What are some good samurai games?

I think Liljonas had an effortpost not to long ago about this. The models look great but I just think of painting all those tiny bright details and start shaking.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

I think Liljonas had an effortpost not to long ago about this. The models look great but I just think of painting all those tiny bright details and start shaking.

I've painted some 15mm samurai ages ago (Two Dragons minis as a medium sized commission), and I think it's a far more forgiving scale for samurai than 28mm.

As for rulesets, afaik there are no really great rules. You can go two routes, either a more modern game where you're more or less just plaing Generic Medieval Men, or you can go for something that Some Dude made that's super particular and probably has wonky gameplay and charts. Oh, the charts. Like Killer Katana 2.

Some of the more promising things I've seen lately is the Tenka Fubu mod of For King and Parliament. At least he seems to know what he's doing on the historical side of it, and his demo games look nice. I haven't played it though so I can't say if it's actually good or not. But in the far distant day when I get around to painting up the rest of my 6mm samurai, I plan to revisit Tenka Fubu.

https://tenkafubu608971038.wordpress.com/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Is there a reason some historical rulebooks are super tall, do they just not want us to use shelves

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Game books just like to be totally different for no reason.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I always assumed UK book sizes were metric and my bookshelf was imperial system, but that seems absurd now that I'm actually writing it out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Welp, looks like after the Wild West, I'll be starting in on some Roman Empire gladiators. My bro and I are looking at both Jugula and Sons of Mars for arena combat, and I figure we'll probably end up getting both rulebooks at some point. And then I remembered I had stuff from the "March to Hell: Rome" Kickstarter, which included gladiators. So after setting it up to print just before bed, I now have 18 gladiators on the print bed of my Phrozen Sonic Mighty, just waiting to be cleaned up. :hist101:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Welp, looks like after the Wild West, I'll be starting in on some Roman Empire gladiators. My bro and I are looking at both Jugula and Sons of Mars for arena combat, and I figure we'll probably end up getting both rulebooks at some point. And then I remembered I had stuff from the "March to Hell: Rome" Kickstarter, which included gladiators. So after setting it up to print just before bed, I now have 18 gladiators on the print bed of my Phrozen Sonic Mighty, just waiting to be cleaned up. :hist101:

I have both these rulebooks so if it's any help here are my impressions, having not actually played either.

Jugula
-Detailed combat system
-Uses a custom deck of cards for actions (means you have to buy these too)
-Seems to only support a limited number of arena matches - namely contests with even numbers on each side (1v1, 2v2, 4v4, etc)
-Limited ludus system
-Seems designed for 2 players

Sons of Mars
-Detailed ludus system
-Supports almost any type of gladiator match you can think of
-Very cool campaign system
-Combat system seems faster and much more beer-and-pretzels
-Supports 3+ players

I think for one-off matches Jugula is probably superior, but if you want to do ongoing gladiator campaigns I think Sons of Mars is much better suited (especially if you have 3+ players). My favorite feature of Sons of Mars is the campaign. You're in charge of a ludus and each month you train and upgrade your gladiators and then decide whether to participate in the games. Scattered throughout the year are special events/holidays where major games are held. Instead of just a single match you have a whole day of games. The players bid on which matches they'd like to participate in which can be anything from regular gladiator contests, to slaughtering poorly armed criminals, to fighting exotic animals, or recreating historical battles. Since each match plays out pretty fast it seems like you'd be able to do 3-4 matches back-to-back in a gaming day.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

I have both these rulebooks so if it's any help here are my impressions, having not actually played either.

Jugula
-Detailed combat system
-Uses a custom deck of cards for actions (means you have to buy these too)
-Seems to only support a limited number of arena matches - namely contests with even numbers on each side (1v1, 2v2, 4v4, etc)
-Limited ludus system
-Seems designed for 2 players

Sons of Mars
-Detailed ludus system
-Supports almost any type of gladiator match you can think of
-Very cool campaign system
-Combat system seems faster and much more beer-and-pretzels
-Supports 3+ players

I think for one-off matches Jugula is probably superior, but if you want to do ongoing gladiator campaigns I think Sons of Mars is much better suited (especially if you have 3+ players). My favorite feature of Sons of Mars is the campaign. You're in charge of a ludus and each month you train and upgrade your gladiators and then decide whether to participate in the games. Scattered throughout the year are special events/holidays where major games are held. Instead of just a single match you have a whole day of games. The players bid on which matches they'd like to participate in which can be anything from regular gladiator contests, to slaughtering poorly armed criminals, to fighting exotic animals, or recreating historical battles. Since each match plays out pretty fast it seems like you'd be able to do 3-4 matches back-to-back in a gaming day.

Thanks for that! I will say that Sons of Mars does have one additional advantage, in that I can buy the digital version of it, and start playing as soon as the minis are ready. Jugula only does physical copies IIRC, so we'd have to wait for it to ship. Though, given how slow I've been with painting minis these days, that might not be such a bad thing. :v:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah I was all down for getting into M&T: Shakos but then I saw they don't do PDFs. What gives?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
M&T is really good though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

moths posted:

I always assumed UK book sizes were metric and my bookshelf was imperial system, but that seems absurd now that I'm actually writing it out.

The UK and Canada still use tons of imperial units, they just don't want to tell you so they can hold it over the yanks' heads.

Canadians will give their height in feet and measure a car drive in kilometres. Oven temperatures are still in fahrenheit. Nobody outside a lab or a kitchen measures anything in grams. :canada:

I wish there were models for a modern Canadian Bacon war.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 23, 2021

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think we're a little more decimalised, or it's maybe generational; heights and short distances in meters, car drives in miles. Weights are pretty universally in kg. Fluids in litres, except for the venerable pint.

I know a lot of old people who insist on using feet, inches, pounds and ounces though. Often you'll get told "they still do baby weights in pounds!", despite the fact this is not true (they may convert them at parental request, but that's not the same thing, the medical world is thoroughly decimalised).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
IIRC the UK recently changed the law so it's legal to do weight in Imperial again.

Not that anyone has to, but you can if you want.

Not that anyone stopped you as long as you also had Metric...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Who makes decent felt/cloth rivers & roads in the US?