Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't recall any major bugs in FFVIII though. Never really looked now that I think about it. Not like the W-item bug or m-evade in 7 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
VIII itself was the bug. One glorious, bizarre glitch of a game.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

10 actually had a major bug in the JP International version where you could reenter Home by using the Dark Ifrit NPC and a result reset the game's progression back there but keep your stuff.

It... doesn't really add up to much, using Aeons you're not supposed to have can glitch the game (in Evrae it's a softlock), several cutscenes won't replay and also you can get stuck in Via Purifico, but it's still there.

Also I just discovered Shiva in X doesn't apply delay with her unique command but instead it's Auron's Threaten wth.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

gently caress Gil Turtle. My comp is Thief, Red Mage, Bard and Samurai.

I need the gil.

But I am getting hit through elven mantles, shiharadori and my offense is Requiem. I can only survive earthquake via aegis shield

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I made it all the way through once with one Knight covering three low health Bards through use of Blink, Image, and Golem. I've had worse luck attempting it a second time.

Precast Float before the fight to survive the Earthquake

vvvv Aw dag

Sesq fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 19, 2021

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I had more trouble with Gil Turtle than I did with either Omega or Shinryu

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sesq posted:

I made it all the way through once with one Knight covering three low health Bards through use of Blink, Image, and Golem. I've had worse luck attempting it a second time.

Precast Float before the fight to survive the Earthquake

Can't.

Breaks Fiesta rules.

I'll probably have to grind my gil elsewhere and skip the Cave

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can Red Mage use the Wonder Wand to get you Float, either through directly casting it or confusing a monster into doing it for you

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Can't.

Breaks Fiesta rules.

I'll probably have to grind my gil elsewhere and skip the Cave

Confuse the bird enemies where you get Golem. RDM (spell), BRD (song or onhit from Lamia Harp), or Tempting Tango dance (any of your characters, just keep whacking with the Dancing Dagger until the RNG turns out favorably). To keep it up and not have to blast the thing down in one round, if you're prepared you ground Reflect Soldiers in the Barrier Tower for at least one Reflect Ring, if you're not prepared you're going to have to steal from Reflect Mages in Exdeath's castle 2F-4F.

Wonder Wand would comes too late, world 3 only.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 19, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Multi reflect cura only deals normal damage in PR,but I'll try to get float that way

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Just hit it with the strongest attack possible and only the strongest attack possible, unless provoked with damage it only does one physical a turn and you should automatically be ahead of that in the turn economy even if it's an instakill, due to being able to !Dualcast Raise - Raise.

I got my wires crossed with bosses you want Float for, so Reflect Ring isn't needed; it's Shoat who can be trapped in an AI loop by having an unsinkable floater.

So the build would probably be:
Unequip all weapons; you are never going to want to physically attack it, but may have to punch a friend out of Confuse. If you have Angel Rings, and you can go steal one from Druids in the optional cave leading to Shoat, put them on your BRD and then your RDM.
All back row.
SAM - sub !Dualcast (or !Red for anyone who hasn't maxed it out)
RDM - sub !Sing
BRD - sub !Dualcast
THF - sub !Dualcast

Loop:
Make sure at least one Floater is alive; if not, Phoenix Down or Raise.
Sing Requiem.
If Old does not proc on a singer from the counters, Antidote/Poisona/punch/Cura/Hi-Potion/wait out the statuses which are inflicted.
If Old does proc on a singer, and the other singer does not have Old but is vulnerable to it, equip a weapon on the SAM or THF and kill them immediately, then only raise if the other Singer is gets Old as well at which point it's time to Requiem spam and hope you outdps.
Cura/Hi-Potion/Raise as appropriate after each of its normal attacks.
Repeat until dead; safest way is to wait a good long time between Requiems as it also inflicts Slip.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 19, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Can't.

Breaks Fiesta rules.

Wait what?

You can't cast Float for fiesta runs?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Elephant Ambush posted:

Wait what?

I think that was in reference to the Knight/3xBard strat. Getting Float is one of the trickier things and a few teams have to do it for Titan.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Wait what?

Not if you don't roll Time Mage, Beastmaster, Blue Mage, or Chemist!

It's also available on each world's dragon mountain through Confuse, which everything but MNK can eventually inflict: in World 1 where it doesn't usually matter RDM and WHM through the spell, BRD through !Sing, and DNC through !Dance, and in World 2/3 anyone but MNK can use the Dancing Dagger.

Wanting it for Titan seems like an overpreparation trap TBH unless you're doing 4JF + low-level challenge, you should have enough damage to take him down before non-react Earthshaker (only a 1/6 chance of cast) in a try or two just from one member of any Wind Crystal job but WHM (who can Cura) or THF (who can easily load up on Hi-Potions). Even if the rest of your lineup is like Time Mage, Bard, Dancer who's not getting lucky with Sword Dance.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 19, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

oh I forgot when you can fight Gil Turtle. but still, you should have lots of my ways to get Float with that team

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I need the gil.

But I am getting hit through elven mantles, shiharadori and my offense is Requiem. I can only survive earthquake via aegis shield

I'm going to take a different tack from everyone else's advice and just say: No you don't. You might think you do, but you don't.

Also just farm dragon fangs instead.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I also don't have dualcast in World 2.

Cause its 999 abp and after farming objet de arts for 2h I'm still 500 abp away.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Cause its 999 abp and after farming objet de arts for 2h I'm still 500 abp away.

Then just do !Red. !Dualcast is a convenience of being able to Raise and Cura in the same action, of which you'll be skipping lots, not a necessity.

But also yeah by the time you hit the option of fighting Gil Turtle gil is only for easy 4xing flame/angel/coral rings, the first two of which you can steal and the third you can just grind. Would be much more important without THF, or in a low-level run.

Honestly you probably don't need to buy OR steal them, Gil Turtle is the last old inflicter where you don't have bigger problems to deal with, the fight you want flame rings for comes before your next chance to buy or steal them, the fight you want coral rings for only needs one, and the summon fights that make them relevant don't matter when you don't have SMN.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 19, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I could see someone saying FF releases have been bug free if they only thought of bugs as like Bethesda style poo poo. Bizarre animation bugs, game breaking things, stuff like that. Most FF bugs that I can think of are under the hood things, like magic evasion not working in 6 or any of the others mentioned on this page. If someone is just playing through for the story and grinding past difficult spots they're not nearly as likely to notice.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 19, 2021

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Professor Beetus posted:

I could see someone saying FF releases have been bug free if they only thought of bugs as like Bethesda style poo poo. Bizarre animation bugs, game breaking things, stuff like that. Most FF bugs that I can think of are under the hood things, like magic evasion not working 6 or any of the others mentioned on this page. If someone is just playing through for the story and grinding past difficult spots they're not nearly as likely to notice.

Yea that's what I was trying to get at.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF bugs are interesting because they are often told to people, who never realized them. They’re also usually explained in the same breath as a hilarious exploit.

Like vanish in FF6 working the way it does.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

I could see someone saying FF releases have been bug free if they only thought of bugs as like Bethesda style poo poo. Bizarre animation bugs, game breaking things, stuff like that. Most FF bugs that I can think of are under the hood things, like magic evasion not working 6 or any of the others mentioned on this page. If someone is just playing through for the story and grinding past difficult spots they're not nearly as likely to notice.

I can see the first, but eh, maybe it's a generational thing. 1, 2US, and 3 in particular had very visible and well-known things that couldn't be written off to bad RNG luck: healing spells working as the wrong tier on the world map, areas of the world map which got the wrong encounter list, a long chain of "hurts these enemies real bad!" weapons which were flat downgrades; dupe glitches, elemental and back-row weapons that weren't elemental or back row, final battle hardlocks depending on gear, hardlocks around overlapping status spells, enemy formations which attacked themselves rather than the party if encountered in certain parts of the map; successful steals that didn't, Sketch in general, single-monster formations that attack from both sides.

Probably also a lot of psychology around there being bugs, which benefit the player, make a suboptimal option even less optimal, or are debatably balance choices and don't count; and bugs, which hurt what the player is trying to do and do count. Most FF issues that don't need statistical analysis or disassembly either fall into the first category.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 19, 2021

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I need the gil.

Gil Turtle isn't worth the trouble (unless you really want the bestiary entry). Go back to Drakenvale and use Requiem to farm Zombie Dragons for Dragon Fangs, they sell for about 7500 each.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mandoric posted:

I can see the first, but eh, maybe it's a generational thing. 1, 2US, and 3 in particular had very visible and well-known things that couldn't be written off to bad RNG luck: healing spells working as the wrong tier on the world map, areas of the world map which got the wrong encounter list, a long chain of "hurts these enemies real bad!" weapons which were flat downgrades; dupe glitches, elemental and back-row weapons that weren't elemental or back row, final battle hardlocks depending on gear, hardlocks around overlapping status spells, enemy formations which attacked themselves rather than the party if encountered in certain parts of the map; successful steals that didn't, Sketch in general, single-monster formations that attack from both sides.

I mean literally those were just 'this is how the game works' to me when I played them when they were released. Not to mention I haven't even seen some of those and I've played through 1, 2, and 3 literally dozens of times each. I'm sure they exist, but I never noticed them. Some of these even as encountered I wouldn't classify as a bug (they are but an 8 year old isnt thinking that way). Like the power peninsula in FF1, while technically a bug given that wrong enemies show up there (and really that seems a little pedantic given that they just show up there because of the overworld grid the 4 squares fall on right?), was a super well known grinding spot and the most thought I ever put into it was "Oh neat I can grind here", the dupe glitch for 2 was shown in Nintendo Power or something so to me it was more like the SimCity money cheat rather than a bug, etc, etc.

Like Professor Beetus said, I was more referencing absolutely game breaking bugs that you'd see from just playing the game that would cause a hard lock or whatever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mandoric posted:

Probably also a lot of psychology around there being bugs, which benefit the player, make a suboptimal option even less optimal, or are debatably balance choices and don't count; and bugs, which hurt what the player is trying to do and do count. Most FF issues that don't need statistical analysis or disassembly either fall into the first category.

Yeah literally all that stuff would have gone over my head when I first played the game and frankly much of it still would (like how would I know the monsters in an area weren't the right ones? Because I got hit like a truck? Oh well, explored too far I guess). If I'm just eating paste and enjoying the lights and sound and grinding past every hard fight, I'm not noticing any of that poo poo. When the first person you meet in New Vegas has their head start rotating in unnatural ways and then start telescoping out so that he looks like a giraffe, I will still take a break from eating my paste to say "holy poo poo, that's a bug."

E: not to imply anyone else around here is eating paste, I can only speak for myself

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah literally all that stuff would have gone over my head when I first played the game and frankly much of it still would (like how would I know the monsters in an area weren't the right ones? Because I got hit like a truck? Oh well, explored too far I guess). If I'm just eating paste and enjoying the lights and sound and grinding past every hard fight, I'm not noticing any of that poo poo. When the first person you meet in New Vegas has their head start rotating in unnatural ways and then start telescoping out so that he looks like a giraffe, I will still take a break from eating my paste to say "holy poo poo, that's a bug."

E: not to imply anyone else around here is eating paste, I can only speak for myself

It wouldn't be known as the Peninsula of Power if it wasn't extremely noticeable as more powerful. :v: It's also one of only two places in the game that formations change completely, no shared enemies, without involving a vehicle, and the other one is a strangely weak patch on the unused peninsula north of the caravan that at least involves visible terrain transitions; there are other tile-based bits of weirdness around the marsh cave, earth cave, and landing zone for the CoO but they're respectively normal/dangerous mix, normal/easy mix, and a sequence of tiles that starts dangerous, changes to dangerous/normal, and is followed with all normal.

(There's also the two-tile oversight of "whoops all IMPs" on the extreme south shore of the desert continent, but again, no getting to or from there without getting in the airship.)

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 19, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

multijoe posted:

Goddamn they really butchered the bassline on Lenna's Theme in FFVPR, that track used to vibe so hard

I feel like each PR is going to beef one instrument in one character's theme and I think I can live with that. FF4PR replaced Cid's explodey trumpet with a sleepy trumpet, FF5PR turned Lenna's bass down from :sickos: levels to normal levels, now we get to wait to see who and what gets this treatment in FF6PR. I hope it's something like "Gau's cello is replaced by a kazoo" and not "Locke's snare drum is now a whoopee cushion".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The opera will be sung by vocaloid.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Alright, let's not lathe of heaven this one into existence

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo I didn't even think about the opera scene in the pixel remaster. I really wonder what they're going to do for that one. Slightly better vocal synth? An actual singer? That'd be wild.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Ah a Drakengard 3 crossover!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even think about the opera scene in the pixel remaster. I really wonder what they're going to do for that one. Slightly better vocal synth? An actual singer? That'd be wild.

If it's an actual singer, I hope they record extra lines for when you pick the wrong lyrics

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Like those FF14 Xmas events when you gently caress up the chorus

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwJZDVdLyY

In case any of you haven't seen this glorious mess

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

DanielCross posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBwJZDVdLyY

In case any of you haven't seen this glorious mess

Exquisite

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
This looks cool as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Jj55Fr-JQ

Although the render they have on their website of Garnet's face doesn't quite look round enough to me. I suppose her gameplay model had a much less round head than her cutscene model.

It might also just be the angle they use in that pose, because the second render they have looks a bit better to me, though still a bit off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That looks so good I wish I liked FFIX more

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

I think the most likely would be slightly better vocal synth. Actual vocals would be incredible, but I'm not counting on it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Is this considered the best way to farm abp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That or those rock squirrels