Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah. It’s really disappointing when they have a cool idea and then ruin any desire to buy it by making all the cards draft chaff.

I just can’t understand why they do this sort of thing. They seem keenly aware of secondary value and desirability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Testing how much they can get people to spend on art without depleting valuable reprint equity makes sense. Everything's a test to see what products will make them even more money in the future.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I do wonder how intricate their internal reprint equity system is. Like do they have spreadsheets of cards and current market prices or is it all winks and nudges to guard against leaks that would make them look bad.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

whydirt posted:

I do wonder how intricate their internal reprint equity system is. Like do they have spreadsheets of cards and current market prices or is it all winks and nudges to guard against leaks that would make them look bad.

Given how blatant they've been about it in public comments in recent years, it's hard to imagine they aren't using numbers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

whydirt posted:

Reprint equity is real weird because, in theory, this is a $200 product, but in reality, unless you were the person out there ready to buy all the garbage coinflip stuff and useless equipment at full face value, it's got like a handful of decent lands, and like 3 reprints worth looking at.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

whydirt posted:

I doubt they put that much effort into it. I am convinced it's 100% just them deciding what they think would be cool for like 3 of the cards and then just finding the other two ad hoc to fit theme. It's all former players getting love for their pet cards.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
To be clear:

If you can say honestly that this card has $7.50 of value to you, this is a fantastic reprint equity product:

If not, you are lighting your money on fire for garbage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wouldn't normally do this but this isn't a normal time for me:

I'm selling a bunch of sealed stuff in SA-Mart to help cushion my finances while I'm off work after losing my stepdad last week and taking care of my mom. In addition to the entire Ikoria collector hanger pack case, I'm breaking a second one up, $210 for 12 collector packs pulled sequentially from a freshly-opened case of 120.

If you're interested in anything and want to chip in a bit extra to help me out, it's greatly appreciated but not necessary. I'm trying to take a load off my plate while making sure my mom is okay(and, well, myself too).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

whydirt posted:

their lawyers have certainly told them to do no such thing because it's not just leaks that could get them in trouble, its discovery in a lawsuit (or a governmental investigation) where they would have to turn it over

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

evilweasel posted:

their lawyers have certainly told them to do no such thing because it's not just leaks that could get them in trouble, its discovery in a lawsuit (or a governmental investigation) where they would have to turn it over

I’m assuming that as long as they don’t mention dollar values explicitly in internal lists that they’d be okay?

You just have to use euphemisms like “exciting” instead of “expensive” to stay within the lines, right?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Doesn't even acknowledging the concept of reprint equity carry some of the risk though? They don't seem particularly worried about it, especially with secret lairs like the fetchlands flat out printing money based on it.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

whydirt posted:

I’m assuming that as long as they don’t mention dollar values explicitly in internal lists that they’d be okay?

You just have to use euphemisms like “exciting” instead of “expensive” to stay within the lines, right?

One thing they know very well is the exact number of copies of each printing of a card. Then they can produce a demand function for that card based on any number of data points, including price, but also mtgo, arena, decklists, edhrec, etc. Then they can quantify the demand without using a dollar amount and accurately predict how much a given reprint will "satisfy the demand" for a card.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

That sounds way more sophisticated than I’d give WotC credit for.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

WOTC performing reprint equity data analysis

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think it’s more like this

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Do we have a discord for hanging out and chatting while streaming drafts? It could be fun and educational to talk through picks and plays.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm selling a bunch of sealed stuff in SA-Mart to help cushion my finances while I'm off work after losing my stepdad last week and taking care of my mom. In addition to the entire Ikoria collector hanger pack case, I'm breaking a second one up, $210 for 12 collector packs pulled sequentially from a freshly-opened case of 120.

If you're interested in anything and want to chip in a bit extra to help me out, it's greatly appreciated but not necessary. I'm trying to take a load off my plate while making sure my mom is okay(and, well, myself too).

Condolences on losing your stepdad. Good luck on providing care for your mom.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

sorry for your loss :(

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Do we have a discord for hanging out and chatting while streaming drafts? It could be fun and educational to talk through picks and plays.

check the op of the arena thread in games

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Idle musings, how would y'all feel if in the new OP structure, whatever it may be, they gave exclusive promos as prizes/trophies? GP winners get (one, two, a sheet) of that year's winner promo, 2-8 get a different card, and another card set for worlds? Given that they're going to cheap out on it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Idle musings, how would y'all feel if in the new OP structure, whatever it may be, they gave exclusive promos as prizes/trophies? GP winners get (one, two, a sheet) of that year's winner promo, 2-8 get a different card, and another card set for worlds? Given that they're going to cheap out on it.

Do you mean mechanically unique cards like 1996 World Champion, or just promo cards with alternate art?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just alternate art / weird treatments / etc.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I want more champion you design the card cards

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HootTheOwl posted:

I doubt they put that much effort into it. I am convinced it's 100% just them deciding what they think would be cool for like 3 of the cards and then just finding the other two ad hoc to fit theme. It's all former players getting love for their pet cards.

You're completely wrong about this. Gavin Verhey posts constantly on Twitter responding to people like Professor talking about how hard he is working internally to try to reprint cards for Commander players, how much he brings up cards that need reprints, etc.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

You're completely wrong about this. Gavin Verhey posts constantly on Twitter responding to people like Professor talking about how hard he is working internally to try to reprint cards for Commander players, how much he brings up cards that need reprints, etc.

I'd believe this was anything more than hot air if he actually had something to show for it over the past 5+ years.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GonSmithe posted:

Oh well if Gavin says so....

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/2021-magic-gathering-holiday-promo-card-2021-11-18

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh well if Gavin says so....

I didn't say he was good at his job, lol, but it's definitely not "they put no effort into it," which is what you said you thought.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't say he was good at his job, lol, but it's definitely not "they put no effort into it," which is what you said you thought.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GonSmithe posted:

Again, this requires you to believe Gavin

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

GonSmithe posted:

They put effort into making sure that the only person advocating for needed reprints is someone who rolls over for a belly scratch when they tell him no

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I still maintain the secret lair commander deck is not only good value monetarily (and as far as monetary value in reprints for precons go, no less, as supposedly 50 cards in this will be foil and hopefully some of those are desirable cards), but it's really not that far removed from Krark/Sakashima and Okaun/Zndrsplt cEDH decks. Like yes, the deck has some chaff in in it and stuff that doesn't really work for the overall gameplan of either commander (the equipment, some low-impact creatures, etc). Most precons have that, but you'd also be able to upgrade it to something more resembling this Okaun/Zndrsplt list or this Krark/Sakashima deck without breaking the bank (like yeah you wouldn't have stuff like Volcanic Island, Wheel of Fortune, Force of Will, Dockside Extortionist etc, but still, some of those have pretty easy replacements).

There's much more than no effort put into it. It may not be an amazing deck out of the box (frankly I feel like it relies far too much on Okaun for wins), but it wouldn't take much to make something pretty cool out of, either.

Having a bunch of copied Krarks is actually pretty cool, especially if you have Krark's Thumb and something like Birgi in play. You can practically just loop Frantic Search until you hit Grapeshot and just go off, because chances are good at least one of your flips will allow you to send those back to your hand. It's RNG Manipulation: The Deck!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone at Vegas know which stores are good for selling to?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tarnop posted:

They put effort into making sure that the only person advocating for needed reprints is someone who rolls over for a belly scratch when they tell him no

I'm also shocked to learn player advocates in a company aren't the ones who actually run the place. It's still better than not having player advocates, so dumping on him doesn't seem fair.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone at Vegas know which stores are good for selling to?

If 95MTG is there, I've had good experiences with them before. You could also check the buylists and just see who's offering the most for the main cards everyone is looking for.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sinteres posted:

I'm also shocked to learn player advocates in a company aren't the ones who actually run the place. It's still better than not having player advocates, so dumping on him doesn't seem fair.

Who's shocked? Other than you

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Fish Of Doom posted:

If 95MTG is there, I've had good experiences with them before. You could also check the buylists and just see who's offering the most for the main cards everyone is looking for.

Yeah, was thinking them, think I went to them at multiple GPs before.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
They did reprint fetch lands in a way that wasn't over the top exploitative (just moderately so), so there's some progress there

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

They did reprint fetch lands in a way that wasn't over the top exploitative (just moderately so), so there's something there

Only the enemy colored ones tho