Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The canoe wasn't really that big of a stretch. I've got an inflatable canoe and they can get pretty small
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ7L4EhcCOw

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm totally fine with the insta-boat technology I'm just really not sure why that was in the cryopod since it didn't seem to have other things in it to use in other crash environments.

I thought the scene with Empire and Demerzel was a really great thematic demonstration of how the Empire had stagnated to a point where it couldn't change because the systems were setup so that they wouldn't allow change even if the ruler wanted it. Everything after that confuses the issue a bit to where I'm not entirely sure what they were trying to say after all.

The Terminus plot continues to be far worse. I assume they wanted to make it so the Foundation going forward is more proactive in fighting against the obviously evil empire to make it fit nicer with modern sensibilities and audience expectations but it pretty fundamentally alters the premise in bad ways and as far as I can tell pretty much destroys their ability to use any of the book's plots going forward for quite awhile. They haven't setup any of the ground-work to make the decline or fall of the empire believable - are they just going to jump straight into an Empire/Foundation war next season once the Foundation also has a fleet of jump battleships?

Real shame Cleon I didn't just turn himself into a tech god to rule the Galactic Empire instead of messing around with all this clone tech.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It is rather strange the more they build up the idea the galactic empire is evil throughout this season. The whole point of the plan was that the collapse of galaxy wide government would be a disaster, and it was too late to stop it so this is the best we can do.

They've kind of turned things into star wars, where its the active goal and a good thing to destroy the empire because its Bad. I mean gearing up for a war and building up an armada from the start?

Also lol they had the longest drawn out goodbye ever when salvor left, between two people who's relationship no one in the audience gives a poo poo about.

So Salvor is going to be with us the rest of the show too eh? and never got to be mayor or do anything but get lucky in some fist fights. To think I didn't even get tech priests! I just wanted the tech priests and phony religion! I held out the sliiiimest of hope somehow the resolution would set up the tech priests for next season, but Goyer doesn't let me have anything I want.

Well at least, I can honestly say at this point as a book reader, I am as absolutely clueless as to what is going to happen next on this show, as anyone who's never even heard of the books. All I know is some proper nouns will show up, but beyond that Goyer has me in the Dark.

I do tend to think (book stuff) they're going to straight up skip everything with the traders and go right to Riose, though. I think they might do something like most of season two will be original material with empire and gaal, and I think they'll just make the stuff with Mallow investigating disappearing ships (or something unrelated) dovetail directly to Riose finding out they're still around or, something and Mallow will just take the place of Devers. I mean the plot of the trader stuff was intimately tied to expanding their fledgling empire, and the religion not working anymore, and since they cut out all the religion and expansion motives theres not much left there to base a season around.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Good trashy tv show. Not Foundation though.

Empires punishment for the Gardner was evil. Metallica One treatment no thanks.

droll fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 19, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was also bewildered by (final scenes of the episode) Gaal appearing confused and surprised and devastated that her home planet was completely covered in water when... that was the entire reason she ended up giving up religion and abandoning the planet in the first place, because she mathed out that the planet was absolutely going to get flooded and entirely covered in water and nobody would listen to her.

I'll pop by the thread at the end of season 2 and ask if it is worth catching up on, because at the moment it feels like the train has gone off the rails and rolled down a hill and exploded and I'm really not sure what the hell they can do next season to fix any of this.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

That last episode was loving hilarious. This show is so terrible but holy poo poo the budget spent on this scene was worth it:

I'm totally game for more, even though I think having only 1% of the show be Jared Harris is an offense egregious enough to take the producers to court.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
the way cleon disposed of the gardener's entire life footprint by murdering everyone she ever interacted with, including the other palace gardeners, and their extended families was pretty funny, and lee pace sold it with that hand twist

i expected dawn to survive due to day but not AI robit killing him, but thats fine, empire being stagnant is the message we're getting. but wait, shadowmaster then tells day that the source DNA has been hosed with and no one knows about version history with all this advanced technology sooo im not sure what the point of it all was, other than foreshadowing the AI robit being the cause of it all

seldon explains it all was fine to me. terminus, while still bad, is a lot more bearable now that the huntress is dead and we dont have her holding everyone hostage demanding whatever she wants then shooting them all after they give her what she wants.

overall not the trainwreck that was the past few episodes, it ended better than i expected, barring that stupid magic pill that can vomit up a canoe with mechanical oars but not a boat engine, don't wanna make things too unbelievable

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
9 was by far the worst

It’s the opposite of Game of Thrones seasons

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

MiddleOne posted:

That incessantly stupid neck-snap was the dumbest possible way to resolve that conflict.

the neck snap was actually extremely cessant

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
At this point, after having just rage-watched episode 10, I'm almost 100% sure that no one even read the novels from the writing staff, they just picked up cliff notes, scrabbled a few names of off it and then ran their own little "this is going to be sooooo cool folks!" kinda series. Seriously, how is everything they do or say on Terminus set up to undercut the fracking premise of Psychohistory ?! Also, at this point calling it "based on the foundation series" an insult to the original stories. I mean, holy cow they've moved so far beyond the source material that some of those scenes hurt me. Also Demerzel killing Dawn was dumb in the most pointless way, but then again DRAMA!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

As a Foundation thing, last episode, as all the others in the season, was bewildering poo poo. As a self-standing SF series, fine, whatever, much better than season 9 was and, save for Hari, Hardin and Gaaaal, sets up an almost clean slate for season 2.

Having said that, I absolutely despise the Gaal voice over rambling speech, as it reminds me of exactly the same crap they've had Michael do in Discovery. It feels like I'm listening to a teenage girl's journal.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

Well at least, I can honestly say at this point as a book reader, I am as absolutely clueless as to what is going to happen next on this show, as anyone who's never even heard of the books. All I know is some proper nouns will show up, but beyond that Goyer has me in the Dark.

They set up the "galactic council" in this episode. Its seems pretty obvious this show is just going to be Star Wars going forward.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
man I can't wait to get angry watching this episode from the way these posts sound.

gently caress yeah, might take the afternoon off to really get pissed.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The show is called Foundation, is supposed to be about the Foundation and the one character they developed from the Foundation left it. It's like the show isn't about the Foundation at all.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mr.Misfit posted:

At this point, after having just rage-watched episode 10, I'm almost 100% sure that no one even read the novels from the writing staff, they just picked up cliff notes, scrabbled a few names of off it and then ran their own little "this is going to be sooooo cool folks!" kinda series. Seriously, how is everything they do or say on Terminus set up to undercut the fracking premise of Psychohistory ?! Also, at this point calling it "based on the foundation series" an insult to the original stories. I mean, holy cow they've moved so far beyond the source material that some of those scenes hurt me. Also Demerzel killing Dawn was dumb in the most pointless way, but then again DRAMA!

But you see it was Game of Thronesy

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should have seen Gaal’s actress to a kayak lesson. That was some supremely awkward paddling for someone born on a water planet. Use your trunk, not your arms Gaal!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mokotow posted:

Having said that, I absolutely despise the Gaal voice over rambling speech, as it reminds me of exactly the same crap they've had Michael do in Discovery. It feels like I'm listening to a teenage girl's journal.

They're as deep as a puddle. For kicks I just found an inspirational quote generator and had it generate some random ones with no input from me. Going by my results, the writers did the same thing:

"How can anyone forgive those who are evil"
"Realism is essentially reinterpretation of the disorder of nature"
"Have the ability to penetrate what is perceived to be unpenetrateable"
"Only by the illusion of absolutism are you as an individual able to obtain intelligence"
"Mathematics paves the way for how people feel, rather than promoting how people act" <-- I swear to god it actually generated this verbatim

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Forget Gaal and Salvor what if they make (book spoilers) the Mule a hosed up Empire clone

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I don't really get why finding out all the other clones had their genomes adulterated wouldn't lead Brother Day into deciding "it's either her or me" and trying to get rid of Dermerzel, lest she try to kill him, too

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 19, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DaveKap posted:

That last episode was loving hilarious. This show is so terrible but holy poo poo the budget spent on this scene was worth it:

Is that gif of Demerzel?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

Is that gif of Demerzel?

Yes, the robot had an emotional breakdown and ripped her own face off. :lol:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

withak posted:

Yes, the robot had an emotional breakdown and ripped her own face off. :lol:

:stare:

booksShe isn't a robot wearing fake skin! Daneel is fully humaniform, and has actual skin! AARRGGGHHH

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

gohmak posted:

The show is called Foundation, is supposed to be about the Foundation and the one character they developed from the Foundation left it. It's like the show isn't about the Foundation at all.

What's more, the only compelling storyline is a brand new character (x3) that has no real analogue from the books. I kinda wish they wouldn't have bothered with the Foundation IP and just done a full show about the life and times of the Cleons.

galenanorth posted:

I don't really get why finding out all the other clones are adulterated wouldn't lead Brother Day into deciding "it's either her or me" and trying to get rid of Dermerzel, lest she try to kill him, too

Yeah, this fucks me up too. If her loyalty is to the pure Cleon dynasty, though, I don't know that she'd kill Day too, knowing that the entire line of clones is hosed and there's no pure Cleon to replace him with. I was so sure Demerzel was behind all the cloning fuckery in the first place, though, and I don't know how to reconcile that with snapping Dawn's neck. Maybe it was just a red herring showing her keeping the other Cleons away from the clones, but it's also hard to imagine rebels being able to infiltrate past all the Empire's technology and secretly accessing the clones without her help.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Salvor left her mother, boyfriend and community behind forever in search for her egg donor.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
This Episode:

Things you Can Do:
1) Clone a guy endlessly
2) Genetically Engineer existing people (they changed Dawn's dna while he was a pre-baby, and seem to have updated the dna in Cleon 1's corpse)
3) Use nanobots to render a person down into an eternal AI version of themselves using spooky technology a society of scientists don't recognize as human.
4) Crash a spaceship on a waterworld.

Things you Can Not Do:
1) Keep a datafile of someone's original dna in an offsite backup.
2) Generically Engineer existing people (like, just fix Dawn's dna)
3) Use nano bots to correct whatever differences are between to similar people.
4) Power an AI for 35 years, unless you have a spaceship or whatever.
5) Tell that an immortal AI that admits to lying to his own cult is lying about the origin of your planetary war.
6) Scan a planet before landing on it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

gohmak posted:

Salvor left her mother, boyfriend and community behind forever in search for her egg donor.
and just before she was certain to be mayor-elect :confused:

like imagine a presidential election that ends with "I'm sorry, I have to go on a cross-country road trip to find my biological parents"

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 19, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

galenanorth posted:

I don't really get why finding out all the other clones had their genomes adulterated wouldn't lead Brother Day into deciding "it's either her or me" and trying to get rid of Dermerzel, lest she try to kill him, too

Seeing her snap the Dawns neck in front of the other emperors (after explicitly being told not to) kind of reveals that she isn't programmed to be a slave

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

If you meant getting rid of her via command, I meant surreptitiously with plotting, like trying to secretly find out "so how do you kill a robot of Demerzel's nature anyway?"

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 19, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Tom Guycot posted:

Also lol they had the longest drawn out goodbye ever when salvor left, between two people who's relationship no one in the audience gives a poo poo about.

Also since they didn't even really have to say goodbye, they could have gone off together.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

man I can't wait to get angry watching this episode from the way these posts sound.

gently caress yeah, might take the afternoon off to really get pissed.

Palpatine voice: Give in to your hate...

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

They're as deep as a puddle. For kicks I just found an inspirational quote generator and had it generate some random ones with no input from me. Going by my results, the writers did the same thing:

"How can anyone forgive those who are evil"
"Realism is essentially reinterpretation of the disorder of nature"
"Have the ability to penetrate what is perceived to be unpenetrateable"
"Only by the illusion of absolutism are you as an individual able to obtain intelligence"
"Mathematics paves the way for how people feel, rather than promoting how people act" <-- I swear to god it actually generated this verbatim

Are you sure those aren't real Foundation voice over quotes??

Why wouldn't the doctors in charge of the cloning of Empire be testing the fetus for any genetic drift? And how do you not have a backup?

I actually kind of like that next season Empire will be questioning the robit's motives and programming. I really thought she was behind messing with Dawn, but it seems unlikely now. Who in the world would have had the access to accomplish something like that (with no one noticing either)?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

galenanorth posted:

If you meant getting rid of her via command, I meant surreptitiously with plotting, like trying to secretly find out "so how do you kill a robot of Demerzel's nature anyway?"

You blast her with the hand-beam thing.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Hello, I’m Hari Seldon. The genetic dynasty of Empire is an affront to humanity. Having one mind guide us from the past, unchanging, will lead to the death of humanity. That is why I have uploaded my brain into this computer and will guide humanity through the next one thousand years!”

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Also since they didn't even really have to say goodbye, they could have gone off together.

Palpatine voice: Give in to your hate...

Are you sure those aren't real Foundation voice over quotes??

Why wouldn't the doctors in charge of the cloning of Empire be testing the fetus for any genetic drift? And how do you not have a backup?

I actually kind of like that next season Empire will be questioning the robit's motives and programming. I really thought she was behind messing with Dawn, but it seems unlikely now. Who in the world would have had the access to accomplish something like that (with no one noticing either)?

The “136 years later” would seem to imply that the show has abandoned Empire, or at least the Lee Paces we’ve come to know and love...

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I can't wait to hate this poo poo tonight, with my wife, while we scratch our heads over the dumb loving decisions made

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Hello, I’m Hari Seldon. The genetic dynasty of Empire is an affront to humanity. Having one mind guide us from the past, unchanging, will lead to the death of humanity. That is why I have uploaded my brain into this computer and will guide humanity through the next one thousand years!”

Wait a minute, was Hari's claim that humanity would die? And not just the empire?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

dozens of millenia Dark Age, omnicide, potato pohtahto

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ElGroucho posted:

I can't wait to hate this poo poo tonight, with my wife, while we scratch our heads over the dumb loving decisions made

personally this show has finally transformed me into my dad, yelling at the TV in complete darkness

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope someone makes a meme of the Tupac Shakur hologram walking out of the vault.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Well good thing is done, now I can go visit the Cowboy Bebop thread and continue my hate watching there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Anacreons/Thespins: "we've been fighting for decades (centuries?) because of their betrayal"

Seldon, with no proof whatsoever: "Yeah, that didn't happen, you should be friends"

Anacreons/Thespins: "Ok"

This show is spectacularly stupid.

also the end lmao There is no way Hardin would not have drowned