Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

blatman posted:

triangles are just domes for cowards

the ancient egyptians built triangles and look where it got them, i challenge you to name me one civilization that ate poo poo after building real domes

Mississippi Moundbuilders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Real domes have never been tried!!!

Mongols and look what happened. They kicked rear end is what happened.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Futanari Damacy posted:

Mississippi Moundbuilders.

fake news domes

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm actually not totally convinced what the proper course of action. It is my feeling that Truth is paramount at all times - this includes that if I know a Truth it is wrong for me to hide that truth from you. I'm not really in the business of protecting people's feelings, I feel, because... well, I think because it's a bit of an insult really? I don't know whether someone will crumble before this truth or not and assuming they will doesn't seem correct. More than that if they are scared it will only be through facing directly that they can build courage. They will need courage.

I really am not a fan of analogies but let's see if this is worth anything: if you have a child and a relative who is dying and the child asks "Is my relative dying?" what should you say?

Yeah there's a difference between bringing up imminent climate destruction when your family is talking about football at Thanksgiving and responding truthfully to a direct request for more information.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

How farfetched is this really though? Is there not a space where climate realism and conspiracy theory can coincide?

It's actually more complicated than just mocking the conspiracy theorists because they can be kind of right in the wrong way.

No, Chevron didn't set out to destroy the dam that an Appalachian community spent almost a century developing around specifically so they could buy hundreds of lake houses that are now perched on muddy cliffs at firesale value but if the decades they spent destroying the environment, intentionally, with full knowledge of the type of harm they could be committing creates that situation then they'll capitalize on it.

The people claiming that the roads were designed wrong in BC specifically to gently caress over Vancouver are just trying to cope with being completely hosed by an unstoppable force that can't be predicted or influenced and the specifics aren't really important at this point.

Does it really matter if we find out Exxon and George W Bush had maps of Vancouver 20 years ago with elaborate plans to emit carbon to cause these floods to get cheap real estate?

This stuff would only be important if you were the type of person that thinks there is some immediate direct way to influence the weather and that someone, right now, is targeting a city with the HAARP array or whatever to hit it with tornados. That's dangerously close to thinking this can be stopped, influenced or reversed though. All we need to do is identify and prosecute the bad actors to stop them from making such wild weather events for their own purposes!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

the ancient egyptians built triangles and look where it got them, i challenge you to name me one civilization that ate poo poo after building real domes

I think nature has some kind of feelings about domes so we would be better off tricking nature

The bare minimum is going to be dodecahedron housing

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
the sad part is that there is a conspiracy. except it’s boring old class warfare and we’re losing we’ve lost

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

FistEnergy posted:

yeah I think assuming climate change will lead to the end of life on earth is just hubris and being unwilling to imagine life moving on without us. Climate change could definitely lead to the end of Human life on Earth though.

No, I think that once the seas and ice caps can't absorb any more of the surplus heat these greenhouse gases have created we still will have a runaway greenhouse gas scenario, and it is likely that the temperature of the earth will exceed that where organic life can persist. Now the microorganisms that live deep under the earth and seabed may survive and flourish but yeah, for any practical purposes the earth will be lifeless and incapable of supporting human life. I give it 50 years max. Any children born starting about 10 years ago will die in it. And Jeff Bezos in his secret underground mansion and his handmaids may survive on in a refrigerated underground stronghold, along with Vladimir Putin and a few other oligarchs and billionaires, never to see the sun or go outdoors again. They won't have any kind of support to manufacture anything. Which is why Bezos is working on robots so much.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

petit choux posted:

No, I think that once the seas and ice caps can't absorb any more of the surplus heat these greenhouse gases have created we still will have a runaway greenhouse gas scenario, and it is likely that the temperature of the earth will exceed that where organic life can persist. Now the microorganisms that live deep under the earth and seabed may survive and flourish but yeah, for any practical purposes the earth will be lifeless and incapable of supporting human life. I give it 50 years max. Any children born starting about 10 years ago will die in it. And Jeff Bezos in his secret underground mansion and his handmaids may survive on in a refrigerated underground stronghold, along with Vladimir Putin and a few other oligarchs and billionaires, never to see the sun or go outdoors again. They won't have any kind of support to manufacture anything. Which is why Bezos is working on robots so much.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Wisest Moron posted:

That is all some powerful denial on display.

Dumbass go bike out there and see that the road is loving a river if you're that certain it all fake.

There are a few rare good posts in the D&D climate thread and one of them was in our lifetimes we'll see a movement that believes arctic sea ice was always fake

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

blatman posted:

Albania after Hoxha

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
abruptly losing the concept of "Cold" seems like one of those things we are going to let take us by surprise as a society despite it being perfectly obvious now that once we store enough energy we just won't have Ice or Winters anymore.

Too bad all of our policy and discourse is extremely focused on raw carbon emission modeling and the most crude understanding of +Carbon/+Temperature.

Milo and POTUS posted:

There are a few rare good posts in the D&D climate thread and one of them was in our lifetimes we'll see a movement that believes arctic sea ice was always fake

Have YOU ever witnessed this so called "Artic"?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/fox_sheldon/status/1461464712667930631?t=phd0m7f1HQAUsBFkdQhnVg&s=19

Lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

abruptly losing the concept of "Cold" seems like one of those things we are going to let take us by surprise as a society despite it being perfectly obvious now that once we store enough energy we just won't have Ice or Winters anymore.

There are a lot of idiots who cheer on climate change because they don't like the cold. They all drive lifted pickup trucks like total assholes. I wonder if there's a connection....

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

lmao

"eh, it happens"

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

tuyop posted:

the sad part is that there is a conspiracy. except it’s boring old class warfare and we’re losing we’ve lost

Really Rev. Stang was right. It's a conspiracy much like the secret as I understand it. Everybody wants in on the con, everybody thinks they are, and they are all suckers.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Have YOU ever witnessed this so called "Artic"?

permafrost is a myth perpetuated by the liberal media

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I mean did it rain or is this just a Thursday night in Miami

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Socko posted:

permafrost is a myth perpetuated by the liberal media

I personally have dug many holes in the ground but you are telling me there is ground somewhere that is conveniently impervious to shovels?

Furthermore that it's ice? Ice that conveniently never melted? While also being soil that was impervious to shovels because it was somehow conveniently ice?

Do you not see how your story makes no sense?

Permanent Frost? Okay, Soros, I'll let you give me a vaccine now because Climate Change destroyed the permanent frost and unicorns.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol that was me and I have since given up on posting in the D&D thread

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I assume cuban americans toe the party line w/r/t climate change?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mayor Dave posted:

Albania after Hoxha

well dang, those do look like real domes

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Paradoxish posted:

I mean did it rain or is this just a Thursday night in Miami

It happens every time it rains lol

E: digging can cause Miami to flood lmao

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1460761627704315913?t=4ACscL_kSABHgU9a4K9I4w&s=19

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

Look you are either ON THE BUS or you are OFF THE BUS.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mayor Dave posted:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1460761627704315913?t=4ACscL_kSABHgU9a4K9I4w&s=19

I think I've discovered the problem here: that deep underground garage + associated foundation is like 20 feet from the ocean.

This is super complicated so I understand why the engineers missed it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Rime posted:

I think I've discovered the problem here: that deep underground garage + associated foundation is like 20 feet from the ocean.

But the luxury condo complex that will inevitably flood and maybe even collapse wouldn't be worth as much money if we built it somewhere that doesn't flood all the time

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rime posted:

assuming this hasn't been patched up yet, technically that garage is in the ocean now

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Forget flood insurance, I wonder when auto insurers remove flood coverage from comprehensive policies in Miami or just jack the rates through the roof. That's gotta happen first given the way people just actively try to destroy their cars in flood waters.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwX0fkGf5rA

:yaycat: :yeeclaw:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Paradoxish posted:

Forget flood insurance, I wonder when auto insurers remove flood coverage from comprehensive policies in Miami or just jack the rates through the roof. That's gotta happen first given the way people just actively try to destroy their cars in flood waters.

Makes me wonder how much money insurance companies have dumped into studies about upcoming climate change damages and are sitting on the results (except for stealthily excluding damage types from future policies or amending existing ones).

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ip1cj-tb5Y

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Milo and POTUS posted:

The ex-pat dissidents toe the line, yes.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

mcbexx posted:

Makes me wonder how much money insurance companies have dumped into studies about upcoming climate change damages and are sitting on the results (except for stealthily excluding damage types from future policies or amending existing ones).

Eh, they have gotten "scientists" to fake studies to try to discount any criticism and I wouldn't be surprised if that's about it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Mayor Dave posted:

Can somebody please shop some sharks into that basement?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

petit choux posted:

Eh, they have gotten "scientists" to fake studies to try to discount any criticism and I wouldn't be surprised if that's about it.

Insurance companies are all about risk management so they're the last industry that would intentionally blindfold themselves. There's a reason you see a lot of people saying that insurance companies are basically the canary in the coal mine for climate-induced economic risk.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's why the National Flood Insurance Program exists, so people can stay insured in flooding regions even when it's dumb. Everyone is taking on the risk. Miami Beach participates in the NFIP.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

you, stupid and doomer: domes

this woman, genius: TRIANGLES

geodesic domes are made of triangles. there is no need for bloodshed here

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

quote:

84% of buildings on Miami Beach carry flood insurance policies under the National Flood Insurance Program. It’s likely that some buildings do carry additional private insurance – since the coverage limits are quite low in comparison to the high values of many Miami Beach homes (coverage is $250,000 for a single family home)

64% of NFIP policies are held by buildings that are Pre-FIRM, meaning they were constructed before the first FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps in 1972.

Pre-FIRM buildings pay less than the true cost of risk because they are subsidized.

Most Pre-FIRM buildings on Miami Beach are lower than Base Flood Elevation (BFE)
https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/1.Fact-Sheet-Miami-Beach-and-the-National-Flood-Insurance-Program-NFIP.pdf

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

you, stupid and doomer: domes

this woman, genius: TRIANGLES

Yeah cute but that dependency on two points is absurd. Looks fun but no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Regarding novels I'd strongly recommend Sterling's Heavy Weather. One of my biggest complaints about Bruce is he always paints a rosy picture of what's coming but he got a few things right. His novel had people living in tents and wearing paper clothing like in ancient times. Also he makes mention of people getting evac'ed in freight trucks but doesn't get into details on any of that.