Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I've never gone fishing. In January or February I'll have a chance for a vacation. Was wanting to go to Northern Quebec on a fishing expedition. Does anyone have a pointer regarding how to get to North Quebec to fish, with a group of other people?

Well first off you gotta watch out for degens from upstate. They're going to be mad and itching for a fight, so find some Quebecois buddies to scrap with ya should you find yourself in a donnybrook.

For real, though, there are probably ice fishing cabins or something to rent up there and that's an option worth looking into. I can't imagine that you'd be doing any fishing in northern Quebec other than ice fishing in the dead of winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

everybodys loves fishings in KEEEBECKs

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It's great fishing in Queeebec!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
For anyone who doesn't get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaekWUI6LrM

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The grouper are hungry! Also go dawgs :)

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Heading to San Pancho, Mexico (30-45 min north of Puerto Vallarta past Sayulita) over Christmas and looking to do at least 1 boat trip and would like to rent some gear so we can surf fish whenever the gently caress we want off the beach. I'm inclined to find the guy in the harbor that wants $50 to fill a panga with gringos and he keeps most of the catch, but my brother & his family have fancier tastes and I wouldn't object to splurging on some bougie fishing experience.

My dad doesn't want to do anything from a boat but mentioned surf fishing, hence the rentals. I doubt he's got anything in his Colorado tackle for chasing Mexican shore fish. Probably can look at PV for this even now that I think about it.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Is there a / What is the ethical way for an angler to cull largemouth bass as part of a fish management strategy?

A lake in a state park has this to say in their fishing report: [the lake] is bass-crowded, and anglers are strongly encouraged to keep their limit of fish under 14".

A colleague of mine wants me to come fish his farm pond and cull anything under a certain size (12 inches, maybe). He thinks the pond is overcrowded with small bass.

Is it okay for me as an angler to keep/kill fish that I don't intend to eat or otherwise use? If so, what's a humane way of doing it that hopefully doesn't involve me gutting dozens of fish?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
my local lake encourages people to keep small crappie because it's overpopulated. there isn't much you can do with a small crappie.

I don't really bother keeping them anymore despite the request, but when I did Id usually just throw them in a nearby smaller suburban lake that was on my way home. I'm under no illusion that they actually survived that but it seemed a little less silly than just throwing them in a trash can or on the bank or whatever.

I don't have any particular problem ethically with thinning out the lakes population in a general sense, although it is usuallydone with the knowledge that they are doing so in order to produce more legit keeper fish. it isn't that different in that respect from managed hunts for deer or waterfowl or whatever, it's probably ultimately better for everyone you don't have a bunch of starving animals over populating an environment, but we should probably bear in mind that they are overpopulating because humans said the conditions in the first place.

depending on how many fish you're looking at taking out you might throw up a post on some local fishing pages to see if anyone is looking for something to stock. be careful about just throwing them in public waters though, a lot of places have laws about that sort of thing to prevent invasive species and so on.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Park your woodchipper in the forest and mulch them with some leaves. My grandpa use to chop up carcasses and plow them into his garden all the time.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Easychair Bootson posted:

Is there a / What is the ethical way for an angler to cull largemouth bass as part of a fish management strategy?

A lake in a state park has this to say in their fishing report: [the lake] is bass-crowded, and anglers are strongly encouraged to keep their limit of fish under 14".

A colleague of mine wants me to come fish his farm pond and cull anything under a certain size (12 inches, maybe). He thinks the pond is overcrowded with small bass.

Is it okay for me as an angler to keep/kill fish that I don't intend to eat or otherwise use? If so, what's a humane way of doing it that hopefully doesn't involve me gutting dozens of fish?

Honestly I'd still fillet them up, freeze the fillets and give them to someone who will eat them. Small bass are good too. Once largemouth get big their meat gets mushy but the little ones are really quite good.

If you catch too many your best bet is to just hit them in the head pretty good with a mallet or knife handle and then just dig a hole.

CaptainACAB fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 19, 2021

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Dogs love fresh cooked fish as well. At least my three do.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Fertilize your garden with them

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bewbies posted:

my local lake encourages people to keep small crappie because it's overpopulated. there isn't much you can do with a small crappie.
A live small crappie is an excellent flathead/blue catfish bait.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

A live small crappie is an excellent flathead/blue catfish bait.

This. I've caught some monster flatheads on live panfish.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Just bury them in your garden if you don’t want to eat them. There’s dozens of carp buried in my tiny little garden bed.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I found some nice fat grouper today. When we were getting ready to leave, the drag went to screaming and BAM! King Mackerel

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That looks like a very large tail for such a sleek body. Nice catch!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

ihop posted:

That looks like a very large tail for such a sleek body. Nice catch!

A King Mackerel can swim about 5.5 meters a second. :flashfact:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i absolutely love mackerel sashimi but i dont think i've ever had it any other way. are they good eating otherwise?

they look like wicked fighters in any case

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mackerel turns really quickly and some people can have a mild allergic reaction to it but otherwise it’s pretty good. I’ve had a lot of smaller ones caught off of CA and grilled them over mesquite with BBQ sauce on skewers and it was yum.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Spanish mac is a favorite eating fish here, very mild white meat, firmer than mahi but not as firm as pompano.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

bewbies posted:

i absolutely love mackerel sashimi but i dont think i've ever had it any other way. are they good eating otherwise?

they look like wicked fighters in any case

Mackerel is one of, if not my top, eatin fish. I love em, and they're really cheap here in SoCal. Whole fried is the best.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

This is kind of cool hearing about how different locales regard the food value of different fish. Us gulf coasters are either spoiled or grouper really is so much tastier than everything else. Grouper is pretty much the standard we hold everything else to. Usually like grouper>snapper>cobia>Mahi-mahi>flounder>redfish>seatrout>mackerel

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 25, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

This is kind of cool hearing about how different locales regard the food value of different fish.

Around us it is water temperature related. There are fish I catch out of inland lakes that taste like catfood, but I catch the same fish out of Lake Michigan, or Lake Superior, and they taste great. Same for ice fishing or summer fishing. It's even more pronounced with salmon here compared to salmon in the oceans.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone have tips on cast netting?

Mine is t opening up correctly. The top right quadrant (12-3 o’clock looking directly at the net from the cast point) doesn’t want to open completely. It’s causing it to lose the circular shape and collapse.

Am I just not throwing the bulk of the weight out correctly?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Post a form check!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gamera009 posted:

Anyone have tips on cast netting?

Mine is t opening up correctly. The top right quadrant (12-3 o’clock looking directly at the net from the cast point) doesn’t want to open completely. It’s causing it to lose the circular shape and collapse.

Am I just not throwing the bulk of the weight out correctly?
I, too, suck at throwing a cast net. Hopefully someone around here can enlighten us.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

buying baitfish at the store is one of those compromises I'll make

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Paging all cast net masters to the fishing thread! (I suck so bad at it)

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Post a form check!

https://youtu.be/eTSG6xz4YMQ

Doing what the person is espousing. Holding on to the left hand “rear part” helps, but it’s that opening up part that always fails.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

So what are you doing that he’s not? Video yourself and find out!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

gotta get that spin in, it's all in the wrist.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Cast netting seems like something you just have to fail at a LOT before you get it right. Similar to fly fishing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

King of Bees posted:

Paging all cast net masters to the fishing thread! (I suck so bad at it)

Its sadly something you can only get better at by watching youtube for several methods, trying/failing, looking up more methods, trying tryin trying.

Its however the only part of fishing that pays for itself in this entire expensive hobby. Don't give up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sickening posted:

Its sadly something you can only get better at by watching youtube for several methods, trying/failing, looking up more methods, trying tryin trying.

Its however the only part of fishing that pays for itself in this entire expensive hobby. Don't give up.

?
Crabbing if you catch a few limits a year way outstrips your cost in.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Desert Bus posted:

Cast netting seems like something you just have to fail at a LOT before you get it right. Similar to fly fishing.

This is extremely true. I learned to castnet at 16, and even then my first throws after a long time are snake-shaped. The secret that's so hard to explain to most people is releasing the hand holding the top of the net a split second after the hand holding the weighted end of the net lets go. It's a thing you just have to keep trying and loving up with.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Cast Net Bazooka when

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Cast Net Bazooka when

I would buy this

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Cast Net Bazooka when

Does this... not exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Desert Bus posted:

I strongly disagree on the fly fishing part. You can learn to cast a fly rod in like 5 minutes from a skilled teacher. Seriously, it's just old geezers spinning stories and idiots who tried to teach themselves that think otherwise.