Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

My guess is they won't put the Pro/Max into the Mini and save that for the iMac Pro or Mac Pro updates. The Mini will get whatever they put in the next Macbook Air.

If that were true they would have killed the Intel Mac Mini but instead they kept it around.
There's gonna be a higher specced M1 Pro in the Mini for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

chaosbreather posted:

I am thrashing the poo poo out of this 14" and it's instantly responsive and silent. It really is the best of both worlds.

I'm sure it's great, it just seems silly to get a close to maxed out mac laptop when what I really need right now is a desktop. I connect a bunch of stuff when I'm in desktop mode (use literally every port on my rMBP: 2 monitors, audio interface, power, USB hub, another USB drive, sometimes SD card), so I'd either need to also drop even more money on a decent TB dock (which sounds like still isn't a great UX), or still deal with that. Also would be more comfortable saving money with a lower storage spec on a desktop as I could just add external SSDs as needed, and I think I'm at the point where an M1 Air or low spec pro might be plenty for my laptop needs (and would be nice to have a much cheaper laptop when I'm out DJing -- which is sometimes in the woods or on the beach -- rather than stressing about my main machine). So yeah, there are definitely still trade-offs, but ultimately I'll wait and if new Minis actually come any time soon, how much they cost, and if there's actually any difference in thermals/noise/throttling (sounds like throttling is not really a concern anymore at least).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 19, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FCKGW posted:

If that were true they would have killed the Intel Mac Mini but instead they kept it around.
There's gonna be a higher specced M1 Pro in the Mini for sure.

i just don't want the black chassis to go away!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I wouldn’t be surprised if the mini didn’t get the max chip, but I agree that we’ll see a mini with the pro chip.

The real question is what the mini redesign will look like.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Taima posted:

Kinda surprised how bad the basic M1 pro does at gaming, but I was probably expecting toop much... it runs SC2 at native res at like 20fps or something (I don't know exactly, but it ran like rear end, even at the title screen). I guess you would have to significantly reduce the resolution to do any gaming?

Not that it really matters, I wouldn't game on it, but I was curious.

Don’t try to game a native res. The machines do much better at half resolution, (in the ballpark of 1080p) because it’s 1/4 the pixels.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think it’s pretty fair to assume a pro/max version of the mini is going to happen. Personally I’m waiting to see if the max version of the iMac is still on a 27” screen or if they finally decide to make the jump to a bigger one. If they stay at 27” I’m much more likely to buy a mini with separate screen.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Welp Apple revalued my 2017 MacBook Pro trade-in from $800 to $0 because the "backlight is broken." So I assume UPS broke it in transit. Now they're charging $800 to my card as a standard charge, not spread out with the payment plan and I may be getting a broken laptop back. Not super happy right now.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Taima posted:

Kinda surprised how bad the basic M1 pro does at gaming, but I was probably expecting too much... it runs SC2 at native res at like 20fps or something (I don't know exactly, but it ran like rear end, even at the title screen). I guess you would have to significantly reduce the resolution to do any gaming?

Not that it really matters, I wouldn't game on it, but I was curious.

drat my 2008 mac pro ran it better than that.. sad times have changed

doingitwrong posted:

Don’t try to game a native res. The machines do much better at half resolution, (in the ballpark of 1080p) because it’s 1/4 the pixels.

oh thats why i guess

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I’ve seen the rumors that the next Mini and MBA will feature a M2 which will be improved but not as good as the Pro and Max.

Apple really gonna thread the needle on these releases.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RocketLunatic posted:

I’ve seen the rumors that the next Mini and MBA will feature a M2 which will be improved but not as good as the Pro and Max.

Any word on what will be improved?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zil posted:

The Mini and the Air, they will be Better

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I think the base M# will be 4 performance cores for a while, it will probably get 1 or 2 more gpu cores. The M1 can physically take 32GB of ram right now so they might add that for M2.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I really don’t think we’ll see an M2 until all the Intel macs are gone which means updating the higher end Mac Mini, the rest of the iMac lineup and of course the Mac Pro. Once all that is done then we start seeing M2 products rolling out.

What I’m saying is don’t hold your breath on an M2 MBA until later next year.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It'll be interesting to see how well the M2 pans out, since most of the engineers who worked to develop A1x chips supposedly left to go work for Nuvia, who got bought up by Qualcomm, who is now saying they're going to come out with their own next-level ARM CPU variants in 2023.

They're promising competitive power/performance ratios on par with the M1s out of the box, though no one has yet to see any engineering samples yet; or if they have, they're not saying anything..

I'd also imagine that the entry level M2s that will go into the Airs and entry Minis are not going to be anywhere near competitive with M1 Max or Pros by design; the current Airs have 4 efficiency cores and 4 performance cores; what they might do is just increase the number of performance cores to efficiency cores from 4 to 4 to maybe 6 performance and 2 efficiency, so it doesn't go near the M1 Pro's 8 performance / 2 efficiency.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

RocketLunatic posted:

Threading the needle isn't the right way to think about what they're doing.

M1 Pro and Max are so much more powerful than the base M1 because they doubled the number of high performance CPU cores and doubled-to-quadrupled the number of GPU cores and memory interface channels. These things don't come for free, they make Pro/Max substantially more expensive to build and power hungry than the base M1.

It's literally not physically possible for them to build a single chip which can slot into any Mac without unacceptable compromises somewhere. M2 should also end up being a family of designs - expect an eventual M2 Pro/Max (*).

* - It's possible they may sometimes skip years on the 'pro' chips. That's a pattern they had for a few years with iPad Pro, anyways. Time will tell whether they've increased their staffing and budget enough to tape out a full family of chips every year.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Riven posted:

Welp Apple revalued my 2017 MacBook Pro trade-in from $800 to $0 because the "backlight is broken." So I assume UPS broke it in transit. Now they're charging $800 to my card as a standard charge, not spread out with the payment plan and I may be getting a broken laptop back. Not super happy right now.
Oof, this is why I'm paranoid about doing mail trade ins. Got any proof of it working before? Hopefully it's something stupid like just having the backlight off or some random software issue.

Zil posted:

Wild guesses but the obvious stuff would be more than one external monitor and more RAM support, then usual incremental stuff like faster GPU and more efficiency or something. AV1 encode/decode hardware will probably be a thing soon, and raytracing at some point although who knows if they'll put that on the M2 first.

Plus in the case of the Mac mini and MBA there's the rumored redesigns which will probably be the bigger deal for most people.

BobHoward posted:

* - It's possible they may sometimes skip years on the 'pro' chips. That's a pattern they had for a few years with iPad Pro, anyways. Time will tell whether they've increased their staffing and budget enough to tape out a full family of chips every year.
Well looks like that's basically what they're (still) doing with the A-X non suffixed M chip, skipping the A15 generation. It's not like they were super quick about updating the Intel Macs most of the time anyway, but I've wondered if we could be seeing some long rear end iPad like cycles for all the Macs.

(There's also the long rumored multi M1 Pro/Max Mac Pro, I guess sneak it in before the M2 comes out?)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Riven posted:

Out of curiosity, where did it ship to when you mailed it off?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

I really don’t think we’ll see an M2 until all the Intel macs are gone which means updating the higher end Mac Mini, the rest of the iMac lineup and of course the Mac Pro. Once all that is done then we start seeing M2 products rolling out.

What I’m saying is don’t hold your breath on an M2 MBA until later next year.

M1 for the Mac Air / Mini came out in 2020?

What are the opinions on whether apple rolls out something for the M2 in this upcoming year (2022)? From the posts above, the opinion seems to be probably more incremental than big jump.

Which, given how big a jump the M1 was, I think incremental makes sense IMO.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Out of curiosity, where did it ship to when you mailed it off?

Tracking number from my drop off receipt says Elk Grove, CA. In terms of proof…I was using it up through the day I shipped it. I have backup files from that day. No photos or anything. Have to see when it comes back to me.

Riven fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 20, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Riven posted:

Tracking number from my drop off receipt says Elk Grove, CA. In terms of proof…I was using it up through the day I shipped it. I have backup files from that day. No photos or anything. Have to see when it comes back to me.

Ah poo poo, ok. I sent mine off to Apple's site in Elk Grove, CA too... here's hoping they also don't gently caress mine.

Is there any way to dispute it? I'd be furious if I were in your shoes and probably trying to work my way through customer service management.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

What are the opinions on whether apple rolls out something for the M2 in this upcoming year (2022)? From the posts above, the opinion seems to be probably more incremental than big jump.

The higher end Intel Mac mini is still around, like how the higher end Intel 13" MBP which stuck around until it got replaced by the M1 Pro/Max 14". As for thinking incremental bump, look at the more modest improvements of the last few iPhone chips. A big random jump is possible but just doesn't seem likely based on recent history.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Ah poo poo, ok. I sent mine off to Apple's site in Elk Grove, CA too... here's hoping they also don't gently caress mine.

Is there any way to dispute it? I'd be furious if I were in your shoes and probably trying to work my way through customer service management.

I’m waiting until I get it back. I found a Reddit thread where someone’s watch got denied because it wouldn’t power on. They got it back and it powered on just fine. Mine was covered in sticker residue to be fair. I’m wondering if they can’t deny it for that so just lied. If it’s actually broken though you can be sure I will be bitching and moaning to anyone I can get ahold of including my local fruit stand.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Riven posted:

I’m waiting until I get it back. I found a Reddit thread where someone’s watch got denied because it wouldn’t power on. They got it back and it powered on just fine. Mine was covered in sticker residue to be fair. I’m wondering if they can’t deny it for that so just lied. If it’s actually broken though you can be sure I will be bitching and moaning to anyone I can get ahold of including my local fruit stand.

I posted this in the iPhone thread but when I did a trade in my phone got stolen by ups lol. Someone cut the seal on the box put junk in there and let it get to Apple.

Apple sent me an email saying they didn’t receive what they expected and shipped it back.

It took a bit but eventually Apple gave me the trade in price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I am more and more leaning towards getting the Mac Mini for my setup, and I think I’ll balance getting “only the M1” by just getting the upgraded RAM, plus I’ll see what the sales are for Black Friday.

One thing I’ll need: any suggestions on a webcam ? I don’t need anything fancy, just simple and solid for standard video chat with family.

Inout here has been super helpful, as expected, so thanks everyone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Duckman2008 posted:

One thing I’ll need: any suggestions on a webcam ? I don’t need anything fancy, just simple and solid for standard video chat with family.

Whatever the best Logitech you can afford/want to pay for is

really the big breakdown is whether you want 4K or not

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

M1 actually released on Nov 10th of last year so we're barely past 1 year into Apple's 2 year AS trasition. If I were to guess I think we'll see the Apple Silicon MacPro reveal around WWDC with the Intel Mac Mini and iMacs getting their M1 Pro/Max updates around that time as well. Fall is when we get M2 refresh for back to school.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Whatever the best Logitech you can afford/want to pay for is

really the big breakdown is whether you want 4K or not

Also, for anyone who has a Costco membership and a Costco nearby, they often have the AVmedia (sp?) webcams available in the warehouse, and recently they were on reduced price.

It's a decent little 1080p 60fps webcam with a privacy shutter that I can confirm works well with macOS.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Does the fan go on with the M1 Pro/Max machines when you're driving 2 external monitors? The fans ramping to near-max speed when I have my 2nd external on because AMD sucks poo poo at writing video drivers is the least favorite part of my 16" Intel MBP.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Adding extra monitors doesn’t force the GPU into high-power mode. It’ll be nice and quiet until you actually do GPU-intensive tasks.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I use a 1080 and 1440 externals at my office and a 1080 and 4k at home plus the laptop screen and have never heard the fan. Ever. Regardless of what I’ve done monitors or no. Whereas my 2017 Pro w dGPU the fan would turn on when I opened Zoom.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Godzilla07 posted:

Does the fan go on with the M1 Pro/Max machines when you're driving 2 external monitors? The fans ramping to near-max speed when I have my 2nd external on because AMD sucks poo poo at writing video drivers is the least favorite part of my 16" Intel MBP.

Nah They don’t. I never hear the fans unless I’m playing WoW and even then I can barely hear them.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Godzilla07 posted:

The only time I have heard the fans on mine is when it hard locked while I was testing a beta OS update and they kicked on full blast. I normally use it with 2 4K monitors through a TB dock and it is entirely silent.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Same story as everyone else. Running a 4K and a 1920x1200 external and never heard a thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think I already know the answer to this, but as a part of my Mac mini saga.

I’m monitoring Black Friday deals. It looks like it’s mostly the 8GB RAM Mini that is getting discounted. Not a lot of “pay the difference for the 16GB.” Which doesn’t surprise me.

I def don’t need more storage than 256GB, and considering my 2013 Max Air is currently more than serviceable , 8GB RAM is probably fine.

I was ok with paying $200 for the difference just because of future proofing , but if it’s more than that I still am open, just like, man I might save $300+.

The mini is gonna be plugged up to a 27” 1080 monitor and a 55” 4K TV. At most I’m like, streaming a sports game on one screen, discord on another. No gaming.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Put aside the $200 and buy your next Mx Mac that much earlier.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there a half height high speed SD card that’s known to be preferred for semi permanent installation in one of the new MBPs?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The old microSD adapter should still fit right? I have one here that went into my old air I was planning to use

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m monitoring Black Friday deals. It looks like it’s mostly the 8GB RAM Mini that is getting discounted. Not a lot of “pay the difference for the 16GB.” Which doesn’t surprise me.

I def don’t need more storage than 256GB, and considering my 2013 Max Air is currently more than serviceable , 8GB RAM is probably fine.

I was ok with paying $200 for the difference just because of future proofing , but if it’s more than that I still am open, just like, man I might save $300+.

Yeah, the Mac Mini is amazing. I am enjoying mine - it keeps impressing me. Costco has the base model for $60 off. Go for it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the base model M1 Macbook Air for $799 now. Comes with 90 day return policy and 2 year warranty, 4 if you use the Costco Visa. Good through 12/24
https://www.costco.com/macbook-air-....100688258.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there a half height high speed SD card that’s known to be preferred for semi permanent installation in one of the new MBPs?

How much semi-reliable storage are you looking for?