Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

train to bussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Plank Walker posted:

everyone complaining about culture being stuck is in their 30s or beyond, kids are still doing new weird poo poo, but with the internet you have to seek it out and no one over 25 is looking for anything new and certainly no one in hollywood is looking to take a risk because no one under 25 has any money

no one under the age of 35 has any money

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Wh- what just happened to me

It's just one of those days.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Plank Walker posted:

everyone complaining about culture being stuck is in their 30s or beyond, kids are still doing new weird poo poo, but with the internet you have to seek it out and no one over 25 is looking for anything new and certainly no one in hollywood is looking to take a risk because no one under 25 has any money

the first time i heard 100 Gecs i felt the cold hand of death on my shoulder.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The wheel of time show released a couple of episodes. Seems pretty okay, far better than what I expected but the fantasy book to show bar is very low.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The wheel of time show released a couple of episodes. Seems pretty okay, far better than what I expected but the fantasy book to show bar is very low.

One of my friends who read the books disliked it because it tried really hard to be edgy and violent. From what it sounds like, they're probably going to try to make it Game of Thrones 2 instead of just a creative take on the books.

Which spells well for the Lord of the Rings fuckfest show next year.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

i wasnt really paying attention to the cowboy bebop adaptation but lol that they cast a 50 year old john cho in it

John Cho did great in the role of middle age man speaking into a webcam, so Netflix cast him to be a youthful acrobatic fighter.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Maya Fey posted:

i wasnt really paying attention to the cowboy bebop adaptation but lol that they cast a 50 year old john cho in it

lol that there's no Ed

Probably for the better. People don't cast nobodies anymore and would be trying to figure out which high school dramedy star would be perfect for the acrobatic androgynous character. Her humor would be written terribly too.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

DesertIslandHermit posted:

lol that there's no Ed

Probably for the better. People don't cast nobodies anymore and would be trying to figure out which high school dramedy star would be perfect for the acrobatic androgynous character. Her humor would be written terribly too.

https://twitter.com/AwestruckVox/status/1461698018462384137?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

came in here to post that. lmao

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

You could have just let me be wrong but I guess we all have to digest ugly truths.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Lol jesus

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
why does this cowboy bebop thing look so cheap. it looks like a disney channel original movie or something

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I refuse to watch this poo poo, what happens

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Feldegast42 posted:

I refuse to watch this poo poo, what happens

Ed is real.

Real bad. :dadjoke:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
First you complain that creators are always afraid to embrace the source material in these adaptions, choosing to keep an ironic distance from it, and now they make a cartoon character act like a cartoon character and suddenly that's a problem too? You people need to make up your mind.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

First you complain that creators are always afraid to embrace the source material in these adaptions, choosing to keep an ironic distance from it, and now they make a cartoon character act like a cartoon character and suddenly that's a problem too? You people need to make up your mind.

I mean I did say she would have been written terribly.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

did they ruin cowboy bebop's pet corgi as well

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

projecthalaxy posted:

did they ruin cowboy bebop's pet corgi as well

I'm surprised they didn't make it talk.

...Is this the part where someone posts another clip?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
its just some teenager's audition tape for Teletoon but i guess netflix got it in the mail??

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's just one of those days.

Ggg.. Ggnaaah

It's all about the he said she said bullshit!

I think you better quit talking that poo poo, or you'll be leaving with a fat lip!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I don't think there's a way to make a live action Ed even work tbh, it's one of those things that just doesn't translate between mediums whatsoever

case in point: the clip above, objectively, sure, that's Ed's character in the flesh, but seeing it in motion with real live people just straight up doesn't work yet is totally necessary for the character.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
haha wrong thread

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Butterfly man.....volaju

Oh my god did they really try to force in the plot from the fuckin movie???? :lmao:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I actually thought it was a good choice Ed wasn't in it because she's pretty annoying in the show too and wouldn't work in live action

I couldn't imagine how right I was

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You could make Ed work but it wouldn't be the same level of cartooniness so why bother, could just make an acrobatic weirdo hacker with some wordplay here and there and call it day

Or do....whatever the gently caress Netflix did

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm glad Netflix had the #courage to present people the truest and most sincere Beboping available.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

You could probably let Ed be the sole comic relief character doing whedon quips and that would be better than... That

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Ed should be Matthew Lillard from Hackers dont @ me.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Good soup! posted:

You could make Ed work but it wouldn't be the same level of cartooniness so why bother, could just make an acrobatic weirdo hacker with some wordplay here and there and call it day

Or do....whatever the gently caress Netflix did

If it were 20 years ago, they would have gotten a street performer or a circus star to play her. I would not be surprised if the actress they got is from something popular or nerdy.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1461605412403388417?s=20

did netflix cast someone because they were already named Ed

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

on the one hand, i'm loving netflix producing rear end content and having everyone poo poo all over it, on the other hand a billion people will probably watch it like emily in paris

at least they're streaming POWER OF THE DOG in december for me to watch

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
playing the role of "Radical Ed" lol

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

on the one hand, i'm loving netflix producing rear end content and having everyone poo poo all over it, on the other hand a billion people will probably watch it like emily in paris

at least they're streaming POWER OF THE DOG in december for me to watch

I am going to lol if this even gets a Season 2

lmao if it gets to the end

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

:ohno:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Ghostbusters: Afterlife has post-credits scenes but anything that just isn't Slimer and Muncher terrorizing a fast food joint and sloppily eating from a pile of patties and cheese is worthless.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Live action American movies have more cartooney unrestrained characters than their actual cartoon counter parts.

American live action videos can get away with boring superficial characters with exaggerated emotions because audiences looks at flesh and blood people and physical props and go, "yeah this is "real"."

edit: quick exercise, imagine a live-action bugs bunny.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Nov 19, 2021

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The 90's-rear end fisheye lens and weird angles in that scene doesn't help either

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
this just makes me want a Jet Grind Radio feature film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/XEECEEVEVO/status/1461738362323103744?s=20

e:

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Nov 19, 2021