Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

lenoon posted:

I legit gasped like I was reading a Victorian penny dreadful. Had an interesting chat with him about how he got permission to do it, and what a mindfuck it was. Just super enjoyable.

Wait, what you spoke to Abnett about the process of making this trilogy? Can you share anything from your conversation? That would be super interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

He spoke about it at a book club event that I was at. I’d have to find the notes I made but the essence was “had idea and thought it was cool, talked very fast to convince people it was a good idea, sent it out into the world”. I’m really interested in the limits of what franchise writers are allowed to and encouraged to do, especially in a situation like Dan’s where he has the whole Daniverse thing going on

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised Dan Abnett has to convince someone to let him write a book. If I ran BL, I'd just park a dump truck full of cash outside his house and ask him to call me when that ran out.

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 18, 2021

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Freudian slippers posted:

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised Dan Abnett has to convince someone to let him write a book. If I ran BL, I'd just park a dump truck of cash outside his house and ask him to call me when that ran out.

It's probably more a "check before you make any changes to the lore" thing to make sure that it doesn't derail anything planned further down the line.

Yes, I'm aware I just implied that GW think that far ahead and I'd also just say "here is money - make a cool thing for us to sell", but hey...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dog_Meat posted:

It's probably more a "check before you make any changes to the lore" thing to make sure that it doesn't derail anything planned further down the line.

Considering that Abnett apparently came up with Perpetuals as well as Enuncia, both of which IMO stick out in the setting like a sore thumb, I hope they keep him on a tighter leash in the future when it comes to inventing new lore.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Considering that Abnett apparently came up with Perpetuals as well as Enuncia, both of which IMO stick out in the setting like a sore thumb, I hope they keep him on a tighter leash in the future when it comes to inventing new lore.

Enuncia was neat when it was just a quirk of the baddies in Ravenor Returned, just another weird element to the world Abnett was building in those books. As it became more fundamental to his world though its felt more like it could just be a tabletop upgrade. 'He's paid +25 points to access Lore of Words".

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

lenoon posted:

He spoke about it at a book club event that I was at. I’d have to find the notes I made but the essence was “had idea and thought it was cool, talked very fast to convince people it was a good idea, sent it out into the world”. I’m really interested in the limits of what franchise writers are allowed to and encouraged to do, especially in a situation like Dan’s where he has the whole Daniverse thing going on

This is upsetting to hear. I was hoping it was more along the lines of "GW wants to progress the story forward, and we need major characters to start returning so we can make people flip out and we can sell metric asstons of new minis, so you can write about X which will eventually lead to Y".

Aside: Angels of Death new episode is :vince:.

I mean, we all knew it was coming. But it's here!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 18, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The perpetuals are very comic-booky. It’s ok tho in abnetts books because he writes “real” people so well .

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Philthy posted:

Aside: Angels of Death new episode is :vince:.

I mean, we all knew it was coming. But it's here!

"I am the death of foes"

:bisonyes:

:getin:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

a lovely king posted:

Enuncia was neat when it was just a quirk of the baddies in Ravenor Returned, just another weird element to the world Abnett was building in those books. As it became more fundamental to his world though its felt more like it could just be a tabletop upgrade. 'He's paid +25 points to access Lore of Words".

I didn't think it was neat even in Ravenor. It was too close to "psykana but BIGGER". Even better at shaping reality through sheer willpower, even more risk of turning yourself and your surroundings/city/continent into a Pollock painting.

The idea of achieving ultimate power via brute-forcing the secrets of the universe with Chaos-tainted computers was pretty cool. But it was lame that said ultimate power, once achieved, took the form of a slightly different style of D&D spellcasting.

euphronius posted:

The perpetuals are very comic-booky. It’s ok tho in abnetts books because he writes “real” people so well .

I think WH40K has room for comic-book-y stuff - arguably the whole HH qualifies - even if I don't enjoy it.

The bigger problem with Perpetuals IMO is that they're completely disconnected from the rest of the setting (a problem that Enuncia shares, although I heard that SoT is fixing this somewhat). But I've beaten that particular horse dead enough.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://twitter.com/FrogCroakley/status/1461361415390855183?s=20

:getin:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There was a small LARP game where all the players (mostly women afaik) played airbase comms crew during the Battle of Britain, it sounded pretty neat.

https://wildwinter.medium.com/wing-and-a-prayer-stress-and-structure-827d0779f872

And for RPGs, there's Night Witches where you play flight crew from the Soviet 588th Night Bomber regiment, the all-female Night Witches. A solid RPG with a lot of historical detail.
https://bullypulpitgames.com/games/night-witches/

And with much less historical detail (none) but an overpouring love of all thing biplane and biplane adjacent, Flying Circus. Set in a post-apocalyptic world a generation after their version of WW1 turns really ugly, you play a small mercenary squadron making a living keeping trade routes between isolated settlements open. It's beautifully illustrated and has a highly detailed plane builder (many actual WW1 aircraft are in the game under new names). Recommended.

https://opensketch.itch.io/flying-circus

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

NihilCredo posted:

I didn't think it was neat even in Ravenor. It was too close to "psykana but BIGGER". Even better at shaping reality through sheer willpower, even more risk of turning yourself and your surroundings/city/continent into a Pollock painting.

The idea of achieving ultimate power via brute-forcing the secrets of the universe with Chaos-tainted computers was pretty cool. But it was lame that said ultimate power, once achieved, took the form of a slightly different style of D&D spellcasting.

I think WH40K has room for comic-book-y stuff - arguably the whole HH qualifies - even if I don't enjoy it.

The bigger problem with Perpetuals IMO is that they're completely disconnected from the rest of the setting (a problem that Enuncia shares, although I heard that SoT is fixing this somewhat). But I've beaten that particular horse dead enough.

The Enuncia bothers me less because it's just warp magic by another name. Some of the implications are weird, but Words of Power are easy to incorporate into the existing framework. The Perpetuals don't really have the same hooks - they're basically separate from the universe. The only thing similar to them is the emperor, and that's a stretch.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I kind of just wrote them off as mutants

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

euphronius posted:

I kind of just wrote them off as mutants

Yeah, I just kinda figured they had lesser versions of whatever psy-mutation BS that the Big E says. It'd be weirder if Emps was the only natural immortal super human IMHO.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It's probably old one fuckery tbh.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

So far SoT “fixing that” is having them bumble through the plot in disconnected and incomprehensible ways that you can literally flip past and miss nothing from the more important bits.”

It would be better if they had a stated goal in mind but so far they are just kind of like a gaggle of Mr. Beans slowly beaning their way to the palace.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I always thought of the perpetuals as incredibly high grade psykers in the same vein as the Emperor. I mean he may not have even been the first or the oldest by several peoples admission but he was the strongest. We only ever seen a handful of them across all of human history. If not just super psykers, perhaps they represented what mankind may have been post ascension if the Emperor had managed to shepherd humanity into the webway so the universe didn't get cooked as the entire race got psyker powers. They just spawned early?

I'm not a huge fan of them being special snowflakes but Alpha plus a billion psyker is a little easier to look at for me as a character than Mary Sue and Deus Ex Machnina had a baby.

I also have to imagine they all die since they don't exist in 40k but I'm gunna LOL if they do something wild like Sanginius turns, he and Horus murder the Emperor and its Oll Pearsons on the throne.

I don't dislike enuncia and the whole (Siege of Terra and Penitent Spoiler here) Oll was the first warmaster and stabbed the emperor and smacked him with a word of enuncia was pretty metal. Im really curious if they let Abnett reintroduce Valdor as a third faction or the imperium proper considering we're seeing Enuncia be incorporated pretty deeply into 30k story telling given that scene.

Im willing to die on the hill of Amare Astarte being an absolute terrible name and hook for the Astartes. She's a cool enough character as it is we didn't need to work in the name as well.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Pretty sure they all exist in 40k. They just have a knack of showing up whenever. I mean, I don't even think they can die. That's kinda their thing.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

any good books about Knight houses? was the house in the middle bit of Xenos a knight house?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I always thought of the perpetuals as incredibly high grade psykers in the same vein as the Emperor. I mean he may not have even been the first or the oldest by several peoples admission but he was the strongest. We only ever seen a handful of them across all of human history. If not just super psykers, perhaps they represented what mankind may have been post ascension if the Emperor had managed to shepherd humanity into the webway so the universe didn't get cooked as the entire race got psyker powers. They just spawned early?

This is exactly what they are as explained in the lore. They believed it was their duty to shephard humanity to the point that everybody was like them. The main point of contention between the emperor and the others was whether they should artificially speed the process up (emperor) or let nature take its course and nudge here and there (the rest). Many of them originally sided with the emperor and defected over the years because he was such a gigantic twat.

Philthy posted:

Pretty sure they all exist in 40k. They just have a knack of showing up whenever. I mean, I don't even think they can die. That's kinda their thing.

Not really. Some may but most of them are gone. They can die it's just very hard and each has different abilities and whatnot. Some can regenerate from a single atom, others can die easier.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Waroduce posted:

I'm not a huge fan of them being special snowflakes but Alpha plus a billion psyker is a little easier to look at for me as a character than Mary Sue and Deus Ex Machnina had a baby.

I also have to imagine they all die since they don't exist in 40k but I'm gunna LOL if they do something wild like Sanginius turns, he and Horus murder the Emperor and its Oll Pearsons on the throne.

I don't dislike enuncia and the whole (Siege of Terra and Penitent Spoiler here) Oll was the first warmaster and stabbed the emperor and smacked him with a word of enuncia was pretty metal. Im really curious if they let Abnett reintroduce Valdor as a third faction or the imperium proper considering we're seeing Enuncia be incorporated pretty deeply into 30k story telling given that scene.

Im willing to die on the hill of Amare Astarte being an absolute terrible name and hook for the Astartes. She's a cool enough character as it is we didn't need to work in the name as well.

i will fight beside you battle-brother

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

D-Pad posted:

This is exactly what they are as explained in the lore. They believed it was their duty to shephard humanity to the point that everybody was like them. The main point of contention between the emperor and the others was whether they should artificially speed the process up (emperor) or let nature take its course and nudge here and there (the rest). Many of them originally sided with the emperor and defected over the years because he was such a gigantic twat.

Not really. Some may but most of them are gone. They can die it's just very hard and each has different abilities and whatnot. Some can regenerate from a single atom, others can die easier.

Pretty sure it's also now been established that they've all got a limited number of deaths in them. SoT spoilers: Malcador doesn't just crumble into dust on the Golden Throne because of the weight of the burden; it's also because Magnus already killed him the final time in the lake beneath the dungeons of the Imperial Palace and he's living on the borrowed last life of another Perpetual, so when the Golden Throne finally kills him, he's basically at negative lives left and *POOF*. Assuming I read that all correctly, of course.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Faith and Fire by James Swallow from 2006 has the sisters of battle main character find out there's a machine that artificially transforms normal humans into Alpha Plus psykers. Whether it can do it more than once is up for debate but the antagonist is sure that The Emperor made the machine himself to put people through it en mass.

e;
Seems like something the emperor would do.
Or if one of the other perpetuals sabotaged something or stole it. Though if it's not something of his at all, that would be more interesting.

e2; lmao
https://www.britishfantasysociety.org/reviews/warhammer-40000-faith-and-fire-by-james-swallow-book-review/

Reviewed by Steve Dean posted:

As I have mentioned in previous reviews, the problem I have is that there is no reason for the characters to be female. They act like men, think like men, and might as well have been men. It’s a minor point in this case, don’t let it put you off the novel.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 19, 2021

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I don't know what kicked this off this time but GW has come out swinging instead of the normal mealy mouth corporate bullshit you often see

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/

quote:

There are no goodies in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

None.

Especially not the Imperium of Man.

Its numberless legions of soldiers and zealots bludgeon their way across the galaxy, delivering death to anyone and anything that doesn’t adhere to their blinkered view of purity. Almost every man and woman toils in misery either on the battlefield – where survival is measured in hours – or in the countless manufactorums and hive slums that fuel the Imperial war machine. All of this in slavish servitude to the living corpse of a God-Emperor whose commandments are at best only half-remembered, twisted by time and the fallibility of Humanity.

Warhammer 40,000 isn’t just grimdark. It’s the grimmest, darkest.

The Imperium of Man stands as a cautionary tale of what could happen should the very worst of Humanity’s lust for power and extreme, unyielding xenophobia set in. Like so many aspects of Warhammer 40,000, the Imperium of Man is satirical.

For clarity: satire is the use of humour, irony, or exaggeration, displaying people’s vices or a system’s flaws for scorn, derision, and ridicule. Something doesn’t have to be wacky or laugh-out-loud funny to be satire. The derision is in the setting’s amplification of a tyrannical, genocidal regime, turned up to 11. The Imperium is not an aspirational state, outside of the in-universe perspectives of those who are slaves to its systems. It’s a monstrous civilisation, and its monstrousness is plain for all to see.

That said, certain real-world hate groups – and adherents of historical ideologies better left in the past – sometimes seek to claim intellectual properties for their own enjoyment, and to co-opt them for their own agendas.

We’ve said it before, but a reminder about what we believe in:

“We believe in and support a community united by shared values of mutual kindness and respect. Our fantasy settings are grim and dark, but that is not a reflection of who we are or how we feel the real world should be. We will never accept nor condone any form of prejudice, hatred, or abuse in our company, or in the Warhammer hobby.”

If you come to a Games Workshop event or store and behave to the contrary, including wearing the symbols of real-world hate groups, you will be asked to leave. We won’t let you participate. We don’t want your money. We don’t want you in the Warhammer community.

For those heroes out there running their own Warhammer events, we’d love for you to join us in this stance.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
gently caress yeah.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

a guy showed up to a Spanish 40K tournament wearing fascist poo poo including literal swastikas and calling himself Austrian Painter.

Not only was he not kicked out immediately, the tournament organisers ignored all complaints and awarded the nazi full points for any game where his opponent refused to play him.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Could have done with .....

Ps.

And Arch can get hosed as well.

...at the end.

But apart from that, pretty good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Waroduce posted:

My head canon is she got the job because of her name, not the other way around. It would rather stand out on a short list of candidates.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

a guy showed up to a Spanish 40K tournament wearing fascist poo poo including literal swastikas and calling himself Austrian Painter.

Not only was he not kicked out immediately, the tournament organisers ignored all complaints and awarded the nazi full points for any game where his opponent refused to play him.

This kinda poo poo is starting to appear in the Gundam communities now, also. Sieg Zeon which started out as mostly meme crap and ironically dumb poo poo becoming more and more non-ironic and "but everyone is bad in Gundam" too.

Edit: Or maybe Bandai actually wanted space nazis. I dont even know anymore, other than its all over the place now, when it wasn't so much years ago.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 19, 2021

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Hell yeah gently caress nazis

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Philthy posted:

This kinda poo poo is starting to appear in the Gundam communities now, also. Sieg Zeon which started out as mostly meme crap and ironically dumb poo poo becoming more and more non-ironic and "but everyone is bad in Gundam" too.

Edit: Or maybe Bandai actually wanted space nazis. I dont even know anymore, other than its all over the place now, when it wasn't so much years ago.

1979 Gundam literally started the series with "gently caress hitler he was a dumbass" and Ghiren completely missed the point and was like "yo this hitler guy sounds cool, lemme show you what a follower of hitler can do" and his dad said "uh... hitler lost..."

then much later down the line Imperial Japanese apologia started to appear in gundam so its pretty messy now depending on which gundam media you're watching

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Zeon is/was supposed to be an Imperial Japan/Nazi pastiche and is meant to be unambiguously terrible and bad. The Federation aren't much better and eventually develop their own special Nazi group. Gundam is supposed to be anti-war (hence the depressing stories where everyone dies) but chuds gonna chud.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

then much later down the line Imperial Japanese apologia started to appear in gundam so its pretty messy now depending on which gundam media you're watching

This is interesting - can you elaborate? Is it SEED? (Please tell me it's SEED).

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Deptfordx posted:

Ps.

...at the end.

Didn't GW take legal action against Arch or something?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Didn't GW take legal action against Arch or something?

He used to go by Arch Warhammer so there you go.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Deptfordx posted:

Ps.

...at the end.

Honestly even acknowledging him is way more than he deserves. At this point you can just ignore him to death.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AnEdgelord posted:

Honestly even acknowledging him is way more than he deserves. At this point you can just ignore him to death.

Yes, historically ignoring fascists has worked out really well.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Isn’t the cannon that if you die and come back to life you become a perpetual?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Not sure if that's been really nailed down.
Are the saints that are popping up now perpetually too then? My guess is no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yes, historically ignoring fascists has worked out really well.

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. It is important to call out people like the Spanish Nazi whenever possible and that is exactly what GW did here but there is a material difference between him and a guy like Arch. Arch isn't just a person, he is a media brand that thrives off of engagement. GW has already stripped his ability to use the 'Warhammer' name in his usernames but after that acknowledging him at all is just free advertising for his media brand.