Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Platystemon posted:

It’s official.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Expands Eligibility for COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters

Pfizer | Moderna

e: I should mention that boosters have been approved for all recipients of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine since October twentieth.

Basically the only people this doesn’t apply to are under the age of eighteen—yes, even the sixteen– and seventeen‐year‐olds who have been eligible for Pfizer’s shot since the original EUA of December 2020, though of course a quarter of them have aged into the approved range by booster time anyway.

:raise: Do you mean "half"? Surely sixteen-year-olds didn't outnumber seventeen-year-olds three to one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Talked to a friend of mine who's still unvaccinated. Apparently the required checks at pubs and sports events are nudging him a bit but he's holding out so far. It's really mind blowing that he apparently won't do it out of principle and instead is trying to find a way to fool the checks by asking me for my certificate.

VitalSigns posted:

Nobody is saying drunken driving is good but we will have to learn to live with it. Drunken driving helps many people get to work on time and people want to get back to living their lives.

So really it's impossible to say if corona is bad or not

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fuschia tude posted:

:raise: Do you mean "half"? Surely sixteen-year-olds didn't outnumber seventeen-year-olds three to one.

If you’re vaccinated at seventeen and a half years old, you don’t need approval for a booster because you will be eighteen by the time you are eligible by the six month criterion anyway.

That is one quarter of the range for whom the the discrepancy in approved ages is moot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ExcessBLarg! posted:

With boosters for all adults likely getting CDC approval next week, what has changed in the past two months to change course from the original, age/vulnerable population recommendation? Is it data? Is it all political? Is it in response to a lower-than-expected population obtaining boosters due to misunderstood requirements and artificial gatekeeping?

The official word is that they see that COVID is wrecking people, they see that boosters are not wrecking people, and finally the balance of the scale is clear.

quote:

Since Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech initially submitted safety and effectiveness data on a single booster dose following primary vaccination to the FDA, additional real-world data have become available on the recently increasing number of cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. and on the risk of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) and pericarditis (inflammation of the outer lining of the heart) following vaccination with these vaccines. These additional data enabled the FDA to reassess the benefits and risks of the use of these vaccines in the general adult population. The FDA has determined that the benefits of a single booster dose of either the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines outweigh the risks of myocarditis and pericarditis in individuals age 18 years of age and older when used following completion of primary vaccination to provide continued protection against COVID-19 and the associated serious consequences that can occur including hospitalization and death.

and also

quote:

The FDA did not hold a meeting of the Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee on these actions as the agency previously convened the committee for extensive discussions regarding the use of booster doses of COVID-19 vaccines and, after review of both Pfizer’s and Moderna’s EUA requests, the FDA concluded that the requests do not raise questions that would benefit from additional discussion by committee members.

It has been my view, and the view of certain health authorities outside of the U.S. government, that the benefits clearly outweighed the risks long before now, but I don’t think that we’re going to get a better answer unless some of the people involved retire and write books.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Conveniently, it's basically a bit over 6 months since people could get their 2nd shot via general 18+ availability anyway.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Talked to a friend of mine who's still unvaccinated. Apparently the required checks at pubs and sports events are nudging him a bit but he's holding out so far. It's really mind blowing that he apparently won't do it out of principle and instead is trying to find a way to fool the checks by asking me for my certificate.

When you say he won't do it out of principle do you mean he's afraid the vaccine is unsafe, or is it a "well I just won't do it because you told me to, it's a principle thing now because no one tells me what to do" but he doesn't have any specific objection to the vaccine

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

dwarf74 posted:

Just need health insurers to start charging the unvaccinated more. Ours already does this for smoking.

Aca allows this, and you can bet they can use the smoking rulings to justify it because it's such a massive thing and easily avoidable.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just went out and did our pre-Thanksgiving shopping (for the two of us), and god damned I hate this country so loving much. First off, without even getting into the covid poo poo, is the fact that throughout november and december, people at the store, whether it's the grocery store, the mall, or wherever, people just become frothing psychos. If I had a dollar for every time I was almost mowed down in a parking lot during the holidays, I'd just be paying someone to shop for me. And covid on top of things just makes me feel like I'm going loving insane. First off is the whole family shopping experience, as though 5-6 people, including children under 5 and maskless and touching their mouths and touching everything else they can. Then there's the various levels of mask compliance ranging from none, down under chin, under nose, and the rare "actually wearing a mask properly, even if 99% are flimsy cloth masks." We have a mask mandate in our state, but who the gently caress is going to enforce it? The cops? Security guards? It sure as poo poo isn't going to be someone working for slave wages at the grocery store, and I can't blame them for not wanting to engage with someone who might explode on them for suggesting they comply with the loving law.

This poo poo sucks so hard and this stupid loving country will be hosed by this god damned virus forever, because this country was built to create and cater the worst and most selfish loving assholes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Wear a N95 or KN/KF and only worry about yourself, it's easier that way

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Professor Beetus posted:

Just went out and did our pre-Thanksgiving shopping (for the two of us), and god damned I hate this country so loving much. First off, without even getting into the covid poo poo, is the fact that throughout november and december, people at the store, whether it's the grocery store, the mall, or wherever, people just become frothing psychos. If I had a dollar for every time I was almost mowed down in a parking lot during the holidays, I'd just be paying someone to shop for me. And covid on top of things just makes me feel like I'm going loving insane. First off is the whole family shopping experience, as though 5-6 people, including children under 5 and maskless and touching their mouths and touching everything else they can. Then there's the various levels of mask compliance ranging from none, down under chin, under nose, and the rare "actually wearing a mask properly, even if 99% are flimsy cloth masks." We have a mask mandate in our state, but who the gently caress is going to enforce it? The cops? Security guards? It sure as poo poo isn't going to be someone working for slave wages at the grocery store, and I can't blame them for not wanting to engage with someone who might explode on them for suggesting they comply with the loving law.

This poo poo sucks so hard and this stupid loving country will be hosed by this god damned virus forever, because this country was built to create and cater the worst and most selfish loving assholes.

Sorry for your frustrations but this is the bad COVID thread. You can't talk like that in here.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK, serious question. This isn't intended to be inflammatory even though, this thread:

With boosters for all adults likely getting CDC approval next week, what has changed in the past two months to change course from the original, age/vulnerable population recommendation? Is it data? Is it all political? Is it in response to a lower-than-expected population obtaining boosters due to misunderstood requirements and artificial gatekeeping?

Two months ago the booster bandits here were criticized for not following the science. But if the science (data) hasn't changed in the past two months, then how is it fair to criticize them now?

Alternatively, if the data suggests we all need another booster six months from now, why shouldn't I bandit one if the CDC is going to eventually, come out with a late recommendation?

Personally I'm generally OK following guidelines but I'm still thinking about my MiL who was turned away by her regular pharmacist two weeks ago despite qualifying, and if it wasn't at our insistence wouldn't seek one now.

I didn't mention it before, but coincidentally the day before my MiL tried to get her booster she had to bury her mother who just died from COVID (and very suddenly too). So to have that happen and then be told the very next day "no, you don't need this" by your pharmacist and ultimately government, only to be told "oops!" two weeks later, that's a serious mental toll.

A lot of it was behind the scenes but what seemed to happen was that the board that wanted to keep them restricted lost out as the other guys (CDC in this case I think?) just came out and said that even if you're depressed you can get them, and when nobody came around to stop them they pretty much won out. Also studies wrapping up about the heart stuff they were worried about probably.

There was a lot of arguing at the time but condemnation is a rather strong word to use, and I say this as one of the foremost proponents of vaxxmaxxing at the time.

Sometimes ya just get a really obstinate or dumb pharmacist, it sucks but it orders of magnitude less common than it used to be, and the flip side is you get a cool one that doesn't give a gently caress and jabs ya no questions asked. I hope she doesn't let it set her back on getting one.

Professor Beetus posted:

This is actually more or less what it's been like since last summer lol. There's like 20% of the population that went from being an enormous shitheel nobody wants to be around as a hobby to as a core part of their identity that they spend all day practicing. Not a single person I know who was in retail or food service is anymore and they'd walk into the woods before returning, and I knew a lot (and got a few of them nice easy jobs out of customer service)

Oh and people are 10x worse driving now. When I see someone actually check the lane they're merging into for cars it's shocking to see. My broader point here is that you're definitely not going insane

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Got my Pfizer booster shot this morning. (I had the AstraZeneca shots as part of a clinical trial.)

Not looking forward to when any reaction kicks in.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Epic High Five posted:

Oh and people are 10x worse driving now. When I see someone actually check the lane they're merging into for cars it's shocking to see. My broader point here is that you're definitely not going insane
I was starting to wonder if it was me and my working from home (and thus rarely driving anywhere, let alone on the expressway). I had to drive about 25-30 minutes away to get my booster on Thursday, forgot my vaccine card, and had to drive back to get it/get the shot, etc. The whole time I'm on the highway going 70-ish miles per hour (65mph zone) and was almost flattened several times by people in pickups/SUVs going 85-90+. It makes me want to sell my car and just move to an area downtown where I can walk to places. gently caress driving.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

I was starting to wonder if it was me and my working from home (and thus rarely driving anywhere, let alone on the expressway). I had to drive about 25-30 minutes away to get my booster on Thursday, forgot my vaccine card, and had to drive back to get it/get the shot, etc. The whole time I'm on the highway going 70-ish miles per hour (65mph zone) and was almost flattened several times by people in pickups/SUVs going 85-90+. It makes me want to sell my car and just move to an area downtown where I can walk to places. gently caress driving.
I see people running red lights on the regular since i started working in person part time. I mean RED lights not 'orange.' Its turned into Mad Max around here on the roads.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, there's been a big increase in people flying through stop signs in my neighborhood. I've turned into a "Stop and look both ways even if it's a one-way street" person because of it. loving wild.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

In good news:

https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/1461768452662829058?t=ISiGSp8BW47xAhBec7mdPQ&s=19

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I got my booster today. In contrast to my shots back in April where I had to wait in a line nearly an hour long (and that was with an appointment!), I was in and boosted within 5 minutes.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Canada also finally approved 5-11 vaccines, and Ontario has an actual sane testing strategy over the winter break (every school aged kid is getting 5 antigen tests to take home, they're doing pop-up antigen tests in malls, and expanding the take-home PCR test program for schools with high levels of cases)

Cases are still rising unfortunately, but the Rt has been slowing down pretty significantly so fingers crossed that it will be a stunted wave. They've paused re-opening in Ontario, I'm concerned they won't go further than that if the rise starts accelerating.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Rosalind posted:

I got my booster today. In contrast to my shots back in April where I had to wait in a line nearly an hour long (and that was with an appointment!), I was in and boosted within 5 minutes.

My experience was also very brief! Godspeed these machine gun vaxxin' pharmacists.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Insane driving is a long COVID symptom.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Abner Assington posted:

Yeah, there's been a big increase in people flying through stop signs in my neighborhood. I've turned into a "Stop and look both ways even if it's a one-way street" person because of it. loving wild.

As they say: "Knowledge is knowing it's a one-way street. Wisdom is still looking both ways"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1461766460708163584

Pfizer’s brand loyalty here is skewed because their booster has been available more than twice as long.

It’s interesting to see most J&J recipients cross over. I suspect this is at pharmacist recommendation and because the mRNA vaccines are simply more widely distributed.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1461780376481841153

Unsurprisingly, lots of people mistakenly believed that they were not eligible for boosters or had no clue what to make of the situation.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Platystemon posted:

Unsurprisingly, lots of people mistakenly believed that they were not eligible for boosters or had no clue what to make of the situation.

It seems like you're saying that official communication has been and continues to be poo poo during the pandemic. Surely that can't be right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

When you say he won't do it out of principle do you mean he's afraid the vaccine is unsafe, or is it a "well I just won't do it because you told me to, it's a principle thing now because no one tells me what to do" but he doesn't have any specific objection to the vaccine

Seems like the latter. Like it's my personal health matter so I won't do it because I met an infected and didn't get infected so I don't need it.

It's pretty hilarious because him and I ganged up on another friend who said something dumb anti-trans and now I have to gently explain why he's a moron too :v:

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enki42 posted:

Canada also finally approved 5-11 vaccines, and Ontario has an actual sane testing strategy over the winter break (every school aged kid is getting 5 antigen tests to take home, they're doing pop-up antigen tests in malls, and expanding the take-home PCR test program for schools with high levels of cases)

Cases are still rising unfortunately, but the Rt has been slowing down pretty significantly so fingers crossed that it will be a stunted wave. They've paused re-opening in Ontario, I'm concerned they won't go further than that if the rise starts accelerating.

Wait, first part of this post is saying they're really expanding testing.

Second part is saying it's so sad there are more new cases.

Why is it sad? The more you test, the more cases you'll find.

Presumably, there's now a shitload of positive cases from kids who have 0.0001% chance of landing anywhere close to a hospital because of covid.

Why should "the cases" matter at all?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

knulla posted:

Presumably, there's now a shitload of positive cases from kids who have 0.0001% chance of landing anywhere close to a hospital because of covid.

Because it's way more then '0.0001%', which is one in a million.

https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

There have been close to 26 thousand children hospitalized and there are obviously not 26 billion children in the US. Actual hospitalization rate is 0.8 percent of known infections.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also, regardless of the risks to children, they are a pretty big vector for spreading covid to more vulnerable people, which means that more confirmed cases of asymptomatic kids having covid is probably not great.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

knulla posted:

Wait, first part of this post is saying they're really expanding testing.

Second part is saying it's so sad there are more new cases.

Why is it sad? The more you test, the more cases you'll find.

“I do not understand how one thing affects another thing.” :downs:

More cases = more spread = more sickness, hospitalizations, and death.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So there appears to be another idiot antivax/antimask protest in Toronto today, had to take a detour running errands to avoid it.

This one is even weirder than usual though. Besides the usual Canadian flags people were waving a bunch of Scottish flags. And not just the normal one, but the old royal standard of Scotland.

Who had Canadian Jacobite Antivaxxers on their 2021 Bingo Card?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

The infections exist regardless of if you test for them or not. Testing more makes the “case numbers” go up, but it doesn’t make the actual number of cases go up. Testing better and finding more cases doesn’t increase deaths.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The infections exist regardless of if you test for them or not. Testing more makes the “case numbers” go up, but it doesn’t make the actual number of cases go up. Testing better and finding more cases doesn’t increase deaths.
Has there been one covid wave, anywhere in the world in the past two years, that turned out to be just “more testing?”

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

On the other hand, knowing that there are more cases than it seems affects behaviours here very quickly.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

Has there been one covid wave, anywhere in the world in the past two years, that turned out to be just “more testing?”

That is iceland's whole deal. They aggressively test a major percentage of their population constantly and find all the outbreaks.

which leads to them having a case count that is huge seeming for their population. (46,961 per million, compared to canada's 46,157 per million) but a microscopic death count. 99 per million in iceland vs 772 for canada.

Maybe there is some amount of health discrepancy that explains some of it, but mostly it's just iceland is way way better at testing everyone and finding every single case that exists. Seeming to have more cases than other countries but not really.

It's a GOOD thing when that happens. It's what you want. if everyone could get tested every 5 minutes we could way more easily control covid, but doing that would also make the case counts go through the stratosphere compared to not testing enough.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

Also, regardless of the risks to children, they are a pretty big vector for spreading covid to more vulnerable people, which means that more confirmed cases of asymptomatic kids having covid is probably not great.

You can also have school shutdowns due to outbreaks, causing continual disruption.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The US is uniquely bad among developed countries for deaths of younger people and children. Broken public health system? A truckload of comorbidities?

knulla
Jun 6, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

You're missing the point. The point is, nothing changed about the situation at all.

Test 10 people per day, "Covid's cured!"

Test 10,000,000 people per day, "OMG THE CASES THE CASES!"

The real stat you want is testing-adjusted, not just raw case numbers.

And also covid is not a real risk to children. You've got to be living under a planet-sized rock to think it does.

That means that you're vaccinating kids with unknown long-term risks inherent in this vaccine that has existed for like a year, to protected old people.

A society that risks the lives of the youth to save the lives of the elderly (average death age is 82 here in usa) is a society gone mad.

Alas, I know y'all got this whole monothought goin' on, so I'll take my leave.

Funny to see how little this place changed.

A pity. Under new management, I'd've thought some less, like, hardline monoculture could flourish.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord
Is this one of those drive by shitposts I hear so much about

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
This is all sort of pointless, given that Ontario is PLANNING TO increase testing over the next few weeks, and the increase in cases occurred prior to them even talking about it (and our positivity rate hasn't plummeted, which is what you would expect to see if you're catching more just by testing more.)

But to take a few points from your last post:

knulla posted:

And also covid is not a real risk to children. You've got to be living under a planet-sized rock to think it does.

Whether it does or not (I'm sure some people will argue about possibilities of long covid, etc, I'm not interested in making that argument), kids can readily spread COVID, and heading off to christmas dinner with grandma with a case you got from school (or taking a case from your antivaxx aunt back to school) is something that's best avoided, and paying for 5 antigen tests for every school aged kid is a pretty small cost in the grand scheme of things.

knulla posted:

That means that you're vaccinating kids with unknown long-term risks inherent in this vaccine that has existed for like a year, to protected old people.

A society that risks the lives of the youth to save the lives of the elderly (average death age is 82 here in usa) is a society gone mad.

What kind of sick, perverted, depraved society would ever consider giving vaccinations to CHILDREN? This is an unacceptable, despicable act that has definitely never been done before, and definitely not like 20 times by the time kids are 6.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Is this one of those drive by shitposts I hear so much about

considering half their recent posts are getting mad about "fat neon-haired leftists" and the thinly-veiled antivaxx nonsense about "why are we risking childrens' lives, we don't know the long-term risks inherent for the vaccine"

probably!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The vast majority of polio infections were asymptomatic.

The vast majority of those who did have symptoms experienced mild flu-like illness.

Of the remainder, who did get meningitis, most made a full recovery.

Only a fraction of a percent experienced paralytic polio.

It is nonetheless very cool and very good that soldiers went town to town administering the vaccine via sugar cubes and that the virus is drat near extinct today.