Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Ok, 1 guy in Hit Row was good. The other 3 could maybe possibly have been something as long as B Fab didn't wrestle and Dolla improved rapidly in the ring. Please stop trying to rewrite Hit Row history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Sigma posted:

Katrina Cortez was selling her ring gear to finance her trip back to Chile. So yeah, dire if you can’t have some sort of permanent residence status or a new work sponsor lined up

https://twitter.com/KatrinaC_WWE/status/1456769542047272969

Yeah, this poo poo really sucks. Too bad the company can't, like, use some of their record profits to help her out? But then we remember Cezar Bononi's story (making $600 a week, told not to befriend other Brazilians or folks outside of the WWE bubble, had green card issues, crickets from WWE after he's released suddenly while his wife is pregnant).

I think what a lot of the brainwormed WWE true believers don't understand isn't that the releases themselves are so damning: it's the circumstances surrounding them.

The cuts are almost always out of nowhere. How many stories have there been of talent just settling in Orlando or buying a house/apartment before getting the news? For the international talent, there's seemingly no time to get your poo poo together. It's downright cruel.

At the very least, WWE could give advance notice (90, 60, 30 days) and some sort of severance (something like 30 days pay upfront, more if you honor your 90-day non-compete, etc).

People in bad faith act as if letting contracts run out (like AEW) is somehow just as bad as the WWE does business but it's absolutely not. Not being featured on programming for weeks/months and not being approached for a renewal at least gives you some sort of mental/financial preparation. Not to mention you can still work on the indies!

Edit: I'll also add that in any ordinary working environment, a promotion (ie getting called up to the main roster) would imply at least some form of job security or longevity. Like, they're going to give you AT LEAST a few months to let a push play out or see how you connect with the crowd.

Someone pointed out in a tweet how many of these releases have been fresh call-ups that were drafted. I can't imagine the mental exhaustion of having absolutely no job security while everyone around you tells you you're doing a great job and everything's great.

Destroy My Sweater fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 19, 2021

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1461712030839320585

Even after all these cuts the roster is still ridiculously bloated

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Daniel Bryan apparently told them months in advance that he was going to AEW and they didn't gently caress him over, though I wouldn't put that level of pettiness past them.

They can still make money off Brie (who was just on The Bachelorette like two weeks ago) and maybe even Johnny Ace won't try to gently caress over his stepdaughter's husband.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1461712030839320585

Even after all these cuts the roster is still ridiculously bloated

If you take out NXT UK and 205 Live, which seems basically inevitable at this point, it's a lot closer to the old days. But you can also clearly see where NXT is going to get gutted again--its roster being bigger than Raw+Smackdown is most definitely not going to last.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CarlCX posted:

If you take out NXT UK and 205 Live, which seems basically inevitable at this point, it's a lot closer to the old days. But you can also clearly see where NXT is going to get gutted again--its roster being bigger than Raw+Smackdown is most definitely not going to last.

They're only doing 6 month contracts for NXT now and if they don't like your progress, you're getting cut.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
More SmackDown!

quote:

Fatal 4-Way showdown decides final member of SmackDown Survivor Series team
The SmackDown Survivor Series team needs a fifth member, and four men will battle it out tonight to earn that spot.

After Sami Zayn was ousted from the team thanks to a defeat by Jeff Hardy, a vacant spot needs to be filled, so Ricochet, Cesaro, Sheamus and Jinder Mahal will go toe-to-toe in a huge Fatal 4-Way Match to earn that distinction.

Who will join Hardy, Drew McIntyre, King Woods and Happy Corbin on a star-studded Survivor Series squad?

quote:

Roman Reigns ascends his throne
There is only room for one ruler on Friday nights, and “The Head of the Table” Roman Reigns will claim his place atop the throne of SmackDown tonight.

Last week, the Universal Champion met King Woods in singles combat to stake claim to his Island of Relevancy.

Just when it looked like King Woods could pull off an upset, The Usos appeared out of nowhere to overwhelm him. The Bloodline ripped the crown from King Woods’ head as a triumphant Reigns was crowned by his cousins.

What will SmackDown’s new King have in store for the blue brand?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Codependent Poster posted:

"Each WWE Superstar is like a Marvel franchise!"

"We have come to terms on the release of Spider-Man."

Of course WWE picks 90s era Marvel to aspire to.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"The island of relevancy" is the cringiest poo poo. That whole thing about Roman ascending his throne really sucks but "the island of relevancy" is particularly stupid sounding and every time I see it I laugh.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Oh my god

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Rarity posted:

Top Dolla strikes me as the kinda guy who thinks acting a certain way is bad until he does it at which point it becomes cool and good

So, a person

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsCo/status/1461537562665836548?s=20

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pylons posted:

They're only doing 6 month contracts for NXT now and if they don't like your progress, you're getting cut.

I mean that's probably what they should've been doing all along, instead of letting the Aliyahs and Kona Reeveses hang around for loving 7 years without ever getting better. Real wrestling schools will throw you out on your rear end in a month if you're not improving every day.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Sigma posted:

Katrina Cortez was selling her ring gear to finance her trip back to Chile. So yeah, dire if you can’t have some sort of permanent residence status or a new work sponsor lined up

https://twitter.com/KatrinaC_WWE/status/1456769542047272969

The IIconics were continuing to do their podcast but couldn’t take money from it because they’re both married to non-US Citizens

They fired my boys when Matt has a 7 1/2 month pregnant wife at home and both of them didnt at the time have the ability to work in the states (since wwe sponsored the Visa natch the Visa gets pulled right?)

Thank the heavens my boys landed on their feet because it could have gotten ugly

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Digital Jedi posted:

More SmackDown!

Wait, if Sami Zayn is out of the Survivor Series team because Jeff Hardy beat him.....why isn't Jeff Hardy getting the spot?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Drakkel posted:

Wait, if Sami Zayn is out of the Survivor Series team because Jeff Hardy beat him.....why isn't Jeff Hardy getting the spot?

Jeff Hardy is already on the team.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Remember when the WWE had writers who were allowed to plan ahead, so that when they knew Survivor Series was coming up they found a few factions who had a grudge or dudes who were feuding and could concievably call in some friends, and built up to it?

Good times, good times. Hey you want a red or a blue t-shirt, I've got both but keep in mind you need to be very very angry at anyone who takes the other one

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Jeff Hardy is already on the team.

A problem easily remedied

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Digital Jedi posted:

More SmackDown!

lol they made xavier king of the ring and then immediately gave it to roman

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ASenileAnimal posted:

They even officially recorded the result as "No contest" so Roman wouldn't have to lose by DQ.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Answers Me posted:

Are the non-American talent that get cut pretty much hosed now for being allowed to stay in the country? Do they have to get snapped up by another company immediately to be able to stick around?

I remember the iconics and Jonah rock in a bit of a panic because their visa status was connected to their employment to wwe. Hopefully any non American talent gets their visas straightened out by being by signed by another company or other means.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

ASenileAnimal posted:

It's ridiculous that for nearly two years Corbin's gimmick was "King name" and so many of his feuds were about the crown, to the point where his only character growth was from losing it, then they give it to Woods who is immensely creative and they turn him into another "King name" and it's all about the crown again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I just have to wonder how bad morale is now.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Maxwell Lord posted:

We'll know when we get the weekly news story about how morale at WWE is at an all-time low

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Psychepath posted:

It's ridiculous that for nearly two years Corbin's gimmick was "King name" and so many of his feuds were about the crown, to the point where his only character growth was from losing it, then they give it to Woods who is immensely creative and they turn him into another "King name" and it's all about the crown again.

after the year 2000 or so has there ever been a king of the ring that didnt culminate in the same dumbshit "king" character for the winner that doesnt lead to anything like, worth giving a poo poo about

wwe is just paint by numbers now. the big cage matches are this month and that month. survivor series is names drawn out of a hat for an exhibition. if you win king of the ring it doesnt make you stone cold steve austin it makes you mabel. just a cargo cult of things that worked in the past for various reasons but just going through the motions not actually understanding why they worked.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Drakkel posted:

We'll know when we get the weekly news story about how morale at WWE is at an all-time low

"wwe morale unmoved, theoretical morale floor reached; vince mcmahon reportedly ecstatic"

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

shiksa posted:

after the year 2000 or so has there ever been a king of the ring that didnt culminate in the same dumbshit "king" character for the winner that doesnt lead to anything like, worth giving a poo poo about

Outside of 2002 with Brock, not really

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

remember constable corbin

and how his feud with seth was so bad the mcmahon family came out and acknowledged it and promised to make RAW good so they debuted a bunch of nxt talent to a dead crowd and nothing changed

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

i have trouble keeping all these NXT names apart but im pretty sure they fired him

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Pylons posted:

They even officially recorded the result as "No contest" so Roman wouldn't have to lose by DQ.

So wait, the Usos pull Xavier out of the ring and beat his rear end in front of the referee... and it's not a DQ loss... and this means Roman is the king now

Did i miss a page of the script or something?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Destroy My Sweater posted:

remember constable corbin

and how his feud with seth was so bad the mcmahon family came out and acknowledged it and promised to make RAW good so they debuted a bunch of nxt talent to a dead crowd and nothing changed

Well, their plan to hire The Elite fell through so they had to bring up some NXT people.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1461836963561017347

Whose that third guy Ricochet named?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

nobody take this lil pop quiz. you may think u have to watch this crap but u cant make us do it.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Pylons posted:

Well, their plan to hire The Elite fell through so they had to bring up some NXT people.

in the alternate timeline Kenny Omega suffers a career-ending injury in his debut match with constable Corbin

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Oh poo poo, Ricochet named every match he won in the last 3 years.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

John Romero posted:

going to smackdown tonight, hartford is usually a pretty smart crowd, i am excited to see how much audience noise gets piped in/chants get muted

Please have pics of how full it is there too! I'm always really curious about that.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CapnAndy posted:

What a very generic single guitar riff.

CFO$, you are missed.

all the effort put into a theme for a guy leaving in 3 months with the track title 'this is it'

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ricochet trying to justify a spot on the Survivor Series team is just... sad

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

poo poo Row from the W poo poo E company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Rarity posted:

Ricochet trying to justify a spot on the Survivor Series team is just... sad

is "I'm The Main Event of Main Event" a good catch phrase?