Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

AAS, grass, or GAS, no one synths for free

mods

e: you know what, lovely snipe but I'll double down on new thread title :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Uh excuse me I believe you'll find this is the unnecessary GAS *reinforcement* thread, not the common sense GAS workaround solution thread :|

( I have my iPad hooked into so much stuff right now thanks to this little baby :3: : )

Yeah it has latency, but just for light sequencing or bapping it's perfect :)

Sounds like you need an audio4c so you can work it into your ecosystem with a single usb cable!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually GAS’d an old Opcode Studio 3 so I can connect everything to my Mac SE/30 with Cubase, seeing as I don’t have an Atari ST :[

I’ve been playing around with Atari ST emulation on a Raspberry Pi. I have it working so I can use MIDI in and out but it’s still super janky because I haven’t figured out a hardware way to do it — only trying to emulate it like a dummy with the linux bluez midi stack and some hacky virtual midi port emulators. I’m definitely on the right track but I haven’t bothered investing in any RPi specific MIDI hardware, and I read that USB->MIDI interfaces can be janky. But I’ll test this all out before too long. My endgame is an Atari ST emulator running Cubase that I can mount on the back of a flat monitor and hang on the wall behind all my vintage gear.

I know I was on a huge DAWless quest but, I mean, it’s a DAW from 1990, it’s basically a piano roll.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 16, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

AAS, grass, or GAS, no one synths for free

I also just released Koala Sampler pretty much replaces a SP404.

I see it's available for Android too. Thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That's a typo. I am too stupid to program something as awesome as Koala Sampler.

Also holy poo poo I love the MPD218. Shame there's no transport controls but otherwise it's perfect for my iPad.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

That's a typo. I am too stupid to program something as awesome as Koala Sampler.

Also holy poo poo I love the MPD218. Shame there's no transport controls but otherwise it's perfect for my iPad.

I figured it was an Apple cult thing that apple people are saying now, like Apple as "John Company" or something.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

petit choux posted:

I figured it was an Apple cult thing that apple people are saying now, like Apple as "John Company" or something.

Tim Apple is the only one I'm aware of and makes me laugh every time.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

Tim Apple is the only one I'm aware of and makes me laugh every time.

I figured Apple fanatics had just surrendered their identities and were just merging under the all-powerful "i"

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

petit choux posted:

Whoah I think my friendship with look mum no computer has ended and my new best friend is fran blanche.

Frans channel is super chill but her videos never have captions which is kind of a bummer as I end up watching a lot of YouTube with the sound turned down and captions on.

She also just got a rig to digitize her collection of old film reels and has been uploading a lot of old electronics adjacent stuff from the '60s.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

Frans channel is super chill but her videos never have captions which is kind of a bummer as I end up watching a lot of YouTube with the sound turned down and captions on.

She also just got a rig to digitize her collection of old film reels and has been uploading a lot of old electronics adjacent stuff from the '60s.

Yeah, some extremely classic PR videos from Bell Labs and stuff.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jade Wii shilling NFTs on her YT channel. Time to unsubscribe.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Matt Zerella posted:

Jade Wii shilling NFTs on her YT channel. Time to unsubscribe.

:(

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Got a midi foot controller for $50, turns out it was made to go w a breath controller. A Yamaha MFC2. I got it because I can't send program change messages with the MIDI theremin. Appears to be working but exactly how these different voices are distributed across this device I'm still trying to piece together.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

petit choux posted:

Got a midi foot controller for $50, turns out it was made to go w a breath controller. A Yamaha MFC2. I got it because I can't send program change messages with the MIDI theremin. Appears to be working but exactly how these different voices are distributed across this device I'm still trying to piece together.

Looks like a score! Top notch aesthetics too

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

field balm posted:

Looks like a score! Top notch aesthetics too

Haha that's the old Yamaha look. As a purveyor of cheap keyboards I run across this look now and then. All quality gear.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I keep hoping to find a sequencer/track-and-notes manager for cheap and I can’t find any used old stuff to fit that bill, are you buying it all up :mad:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

I keep hoping to find a sequencer/track-and-notes manager for cheap and I can’t find any used old stuff to fit that bill, are you buying it all up :mad:

Buy my beatstep pro. It's cherry. It should kick some demon butt.

Also, have you seen this:

petit choux posted:

This should probably be posted here, though it requires so little work that it hardly deserves to be called DIY. I may be getting an arduino sometime after all.

https://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/projects/gizmo/

http://brendanclarke.com/2014/04/23/arduino-based-midi-sequencer/

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 18, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If this NFT poo poo keeps up I'm not going to be following anyone on YouTube for synth/beatmaking stuff. drat. Just unfollowed another channel.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

petit choux posted:

Buy my beatstep pro. It's cherry. It should kick some demon butt.

Also, have you seen this:

Oh man, I’ve been eyeing the KeyStep Pro if I really level up on hardware, though. I currently have only two hardware modules, the Drum and the NTS-1, and the main reason I want the sequencer is that I miss Renoise’s powerful pattern sequencing. Thing is, it might be overkill when you’ve only got a couple modules, and when they’re more like toys than a full DAWless setup. Aaaaaaaa GAS is rear end

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man, I’ve been eyeing the KeyStep Pro if I really level up on hardware, though. I currently have only two hardware modules, the Drum and the NTS-1, and the main reason I want the sequencer is that I miss Renoise’s powerful pattern sequencing. Thing is, it might be overkill when you’ve only got a couple modules, and when they’re more like toys than a full DAWless setup. Aaaaaaaa GAS is rear end

Fact. I'm always needing something, a cable, a power supply, what the gently caress ever. Of course participating in the gear acquisition thread doesn't help. You really should take a look at the arduino links I just posted, I don't know if the Gadget would fulfill your needs but I'm for finding out. All it takes is an Arduino, a Sparkfun shield, an LED display and the pre-compiled OS, it looks like.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 18, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh hey yeah, I needed a good use for this Mega. Ordered a MIDI shield, I’ll get a soldering iron sometime too.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Oh hey yeah, I needed a good use for this Mega. Ordered a MIDI shield, I’ll get a soldering iron sometime too.

I'll be with you pretty soon on that. It looks good and easy as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

If this NFT poo poo keeps up I'm not going to be following anyone on YouTube for synth/beatmaking stuff. drat. Just unfollowed another channel.

Don't unfollow, offer to trade them a crude picture of an ape in exchange for rare synths

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Clearly I'm missing out on another great fad here. I think I'll keep doing it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Don't unfollow, offer to trade them a crude picture of an ape in exchange for rare synths

I can get a SP404 if I wanted so I'm not missing anything from Jade Wii.

Also lol at buying a 404 when Koala Sampler kicks it's rear end for 1/10th the price. I'll just add vinyl noise under everything and I won't be missing anything.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Rutibex posted:

Even more accurately, offer to trade them a number that you swear means they own a crude picture of an ape.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Got my dumpster maschine mk1 working again (usb port is flakey) I'm going to start sampling cheesy Casio and granny organ beats and see what I come up with.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just bought a used Volca FM and a TRS Type A converter. It begins, I guess.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Just bought a used Volca FM and a TRS Type A converter. It begins, I guess.

I'm hoping to make some of my own, and I bought these to do it:

ED: well, except they're 3.5, not 2.5.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m, uh.. I’m designing a knockoff SCSI expansion board for my s950 :negative:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Martytoof posted:

I’m, uh.. I’m designing a knockoff SCSI expansion board for my s950 :negative:

Oh for the days of scsi and hard drives that weighed 5 pounds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My raspberry pi RaSCSI weighs substantially less but I'm sure I can throw some tire weights in the case to accurately simulate the experience :cool:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ordered a TipTop Mantis case last weekend, it still hasn't shipped, so I contacted the store today and they're like, "Oh, there was a problem with the power supplies on a certain run of serial numbers, we'll ship it out Monday." :what:

Do I even want this thing now?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
it's a good case, at least they caught the issue before sending it to you

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tayter Swift posted:

it's a good case, at least they caught the issue before sending it to you

True. How do I test it to be sure? Pop in my cheapest module and leave it on for a few hours?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I bought the Baby Audio Spaced Out plugin and it's lots of fun for the sale price of $40. Fun space-y reverb and a beat synced delay thing that you can blend together nicely.

I'm still trying to master all the modulator options in bitwig, but I've got a long way to go. I know it's not as popular, but does anyone have any tutorials they like for this?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Here's a thing I've been working on. I rearranged my studio so that I could easily connect my Moog Little Phatty to my eurorack.

I'm trying to demonstrate that the Moog audio into the Deopfer a-119 External Input/Envelope Follower is controlling whether or not the Maths channel 1 cycles. When there's sound coming out of the Phatty, it cycles, and when I stop pressing a key/lift my foot off the sustain pedal, it stops.

Diode Chaos through the Dual Attenuverter is controlling the Phatty's pitch and filter. I attenuated the pitch signal, so it's like it's struggling to stay in tune, while I boosted the signal going into the filter to keep it open more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxHet9tUrmY

I added a bit of compression and reverb in Logic.

My next modules are likely going to be a Befaco Muxslicer for sequencing, maybe one of those new Mex expanders for it, and then STMix so I have a stereo mixer instead of just kind of putting a bunch of things in the left speaker and one or two things in the right speaker all of the time. (Seems like all the DIY kits are out of stock in North America right now.)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Here's a thing I've been working on. I rearranged my studio so that I could easily connect my Moog Little Phatty to my eurorack.

I'm trying to demonstrate that the Moog audio into the Deopfer a-119 External Input/Envelope Follower is controlling whether or not the Maths channel 1 cycles. When there's sound coming out of the Phatty, it cycles, and when I stop pressing a key/lift my foot off the sustain pedal, it stops.

Diode Chaos through the Dual Attenuverter is controlling the Phatty's pitch and filter. I attenuated the pitch signal, so it's like it's struggling to stay in tune, while I boosted the signal going into the filter to keep it open more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxHet9tUrmY

I added a bit of compression and reverb in Logic.

My next modules are likely going to be a Befaco Muxslicer for sequencing, maybe one of those new Mex expanders for it, and then STMix so I have a stereo mixer instead of just kind of putting a bunch of things in the left speaker and one or two things in the right speaker all of the time. (Seems like all the DIY kits are out of stock in North America right now.)

That's real purty. Show us that Muxlicer in action baby!

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Sweetwater is selling the behringer neutron for 200 dollars and it is tearing me apart. I don't have the space for it but I want a 2nd neutron so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So about that big stash of sample floppy disks I picked up.

Would anyone be interested if I did a “one per day” kind of post? I was thinking I could set up a gopro in front of my S950, pop a random new disk in and we discover what’s on there together? Could be nothing, could be an amazing few samples, could be a bad disk. Once I figure out how to get the files off floppies I can start posting them along with each youtube video.

Doing one per day (and let’s be honest I probably won’t remember to do it every day) I probably have enough for a few months of content.

I mean I want to do it regardless but not sure if I should start a separate Samplers thread. I’m feel like this might JUST be skirting the edges of being actually related to “synths and synthesis” and you guys have been incredibly generous putting up with my Akai fetishization so far but I definitely don’t want to derail unless we want this to actually be the sampler thread as well.