Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sab669 posted:

What exactly does "Anakin vibes" mean? I have seen Star Wars exactly 1 time and don't remember poo poo tbh. Someone else [or their partner] ITT said the exact same thing lol.

I can easily see Rand whining to Egwene how he hates sand, it's course and gets everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sab669 posted:

And yea in the beginning of the episode we some of the Red Ajah - your color coded Aes Sedai - chasing him and she's watching from an overlook and says he's too old or something.

Those were different characters

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

I feel like this misses the main point which is 'even if the books did say they were white who the gently caress cares?'

I didn't even realize this was a thing and ... why? Once again you are the scoopsgal.

Not spoiler review for the curious. Only a semi book dog. Started binging due to SA when I was 13 and liked them (despite having more and more issues going along with Jordan's writing) until the book devoted entirely to "smooth skirts, tugs the braid" which was my very first Dexterizing experience. I hated it and swore never to read it or watch anything and... I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not perfect but really nice. I'd put it visually above Witcher but less grounded and high budget than early GoT. Monsters looked cool, actors were really good and some of the scenery was really nice. Dialogue and plot seemed fairly good and lots of hooks that got me. I was shocked how much I was into it. Really like every actor, including the one playing my teen book arch nemesis Nynaeve. I HATED the character in the book I always thought she was just stupidly stubborn and ridiculously hard headed to the point of parody as opposed to what people were actually like. I was 13. In this show she is far less parody and the actress did a great job making me NOT hate her. She sees far more competent and, although wary and skeptical, not a complete obstinate proto Karen.

Only real semi-spoiler question that I can' t remember from the books: Was the world this Post-Post Apoc in the books? I didn't think we'd come across this many obvious signs of previous civilizations including our modern world.

Don't understand any of the hate for this show as Witcher was far more flawed.

Nitpick I did think the Whitecloaks looked better without the one armoured arm with the silly sun guard up top.That looked a bit cheap and silly in white or gold and reminded me of the terrible Witcher bad guy armour. I really liked the Questioner actor as he brought such menace with his smile.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

gonna spoil this just in case but this is context that the book would have done a better job conveying than the show apparently did and is also common knowledge to the characters (and really the entire world of the show)

undoing existence as we know it is probably pretty bad

Thanks! I interpreted (answer to book-spoiler) "undoing the existence" more as "breaking the wheel" of a sketchy rebirth-belief. Seems i should have taken it more literally (or it was translated in a weird way into german)

Re "Anakin vibes" - he looks a bit like him and totally has that air of "chosen one" right off the bat. But i should have added, that he matured WAY better over the course of the three episodes and almost grown out of that comparison.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

gonna spoil this just in case but this is context that the book would have done a better job conveying than the show apparently did and is also common knowledge to the characters (and really the entire world of the show)

undoing existence as we know it is probably pretty bad

I thought the guy at the beginning who was hallucinating his buddy was a different guy than the one in the cage Mazrim Taim, who in the books is in his mid-late 30s.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

navyjack posted:

I thought the guy at the beginning who was hallucinating his buddy was a different guy than the one in the cage Mazrim Taim, who in the books is in his mid-late 30s.

The guy in the cage is Logain, not Taim.

The guys at the beginning were not in the book, that's a completely TV show original thing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DogsInSpace! posted:

Only real semi-spoiler question that I can' t remember from the books: Was the world this Post-Post Apoc in the books? I didn't think we'd come across this many obvious signs of previous civilizations including our modern world.

Answer from the books Sort of? There are the ruins of previous civilizations scattered about here and there. The age of legends, thousands of years ago, was very advanced and those buildings probably date from there. The first concrete reference they make is far later in the series, where there's a port town on top of a mountain that has been abandoned. Because when the dragon broke the world, he broke it big time, and stuff got jumbled around a lot.

There's other bits and bobs left over, so having those there isn't really wildly out of story, even if it was never explicitly mentioned.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bou posted:

Thanks! I interpreted (answer to book-spoiler) "undoing the existence" more as "breaking the wheel" of a sketchy rebirth-belief. Seems i should have taken it more literally (or it was translated in a weird way into german)

I don't think it was translated weird, I glossed over it watching it because I've read all the books (multiple times) so it's second nature to me but reading your post I realized they really only said it in terms of reincarnation instead of it just being the fabric of all existence

navyjack posted:

I actually thought the same thing at first

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

really enjoying that nynaeve is a total badass right off the bat, as opposed to the books where IIRC she started out mostly as a nag

I just finished book 4 and she's still a nag. But so are almost all the women, gender dynamics are not a strong suit of the story.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The guy in the cage is Logain, not Taim.

The guys at the beginning were not in the book, that's a completely TV show original thing.

Ugh yeah that’s who I meant, but was he the guy the Reds caught at the beginning?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

navyjack posted:

Ugh yeah that’s who I meant, but was he the guy the Reds caught at the beginning?

Nope.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

navyjack posted:

No, the guy in the beginning was just some random poor bastard the Reds tracked down

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

CainsDescendant posted:

No, the guy in the beginning was just some random poor bastard the Reds tracked down

They should really have made them look more different.
I just assumed that they moved so slowly at the speed of plot and that was the same man,

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh I was definitely thinking they were both Logain

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Oh I was definitely thinking they were both Logain

I’m going to have to spin that scene up again and use the X-ray feature and see who it was.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

navyjack posted:

I’m going to have to spin that scene up again and use the X-ray feature and see who it was.

I already did. He's credited as "young man".

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It seems with Nynaeve they're avoiding writing her as passive-aggressive and just going for aggressive-aggressive.

It owns.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

bou posted:

Everybody loves a newbie reaction, right?
So here are my thoughts after watching all 3 episodes.

First couple of scenes: Ok, only women can use magic without going crazy? Magic is way more powerful than the sword, so this is kinda Conan the Barbarian for girls. Funny!
Spell-channeling is cool and takes exactly the egregious amount of time as in the old D&D Games. Very cool effects, liked the fights and the standard-mobs. Oh no, i liked smithy-girl! This show is surprisingly brutal. Rand is the obvious choice for the hero-role, sadly he's also the most boring and gives off major Anakin-vibes. I like Matt the most. Has no real skill to offer, but would do anything for his little sisters :3:
So the Magic-Ladies are color-coded blue, red, yellow (with rings to match) and green. Maybe can get significant later? Also there are people in white cloaks who do not like them at all.
Some not-so-good cgi in the dead city. How many times will a pursuing threat inexplicably just stop to let the heroes loose and don't go around or at least wait them out? Don't know if i trust Tom already. Seems too "good", almost Strider-esque. The way the murderous bar-lady describes what her Dark Lord would use the Dragon for, it almost sounds... not-too-bad actually?
That guy in the cage is way older than 20 years, so he technically can't be the "Dragon", right?

Overall, the show feels more like Golden Compass than Game of Thrones. But that's already a stretch. Some extremely gorgeous scenery shots!
Solid start, will continue watching for sure. I have no clue, if they reach their destination the next episode and a completely new arc kicks-off or if the journey will last for the rest of the season. I would be fine with both.

Party Predicition:
We already have a Mage and a Fighter.
Matt will be the Rogue, Evgenye the Healer, Perrin Paladin (smith's hammer + coping with his murder). Rand is the PC-Ranger.
Yessssss directly into my veins. (newbie reactions)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It seems with Nynaeve they're avoiding writing her as passive-aggressive and just going for aggressive-aggressive.

It owns.

The only sucky part about Nynaeve not being the passive aggresive know it all from the book, is we don't get the payoff when she (very rarely) got her cumupance

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DogsInSpace! posted:

Books answer:

Sorta, but it's not even really recognized for what it is in many cases, and the descriptions are easy to gloss over or miss what they're supposed to be. There's stuff like a giant radio telescope dish (probably), but it's just described as a strangely smooth bowl with a big spike in the center that makes people feel bad if they go in to the middle of it. Or the Mercedes emblem in a museum lol.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

DogsInSpace! posted:

The books did have modern world remnants but the reader largely had to piece that together on their own since the descriptions were always somewhat vague and entirely from an in-world perspective. Biggest one I can think of is an item that’s a hood ornament from a Benz but I didn’t even pick up on it while reading and only found out when I saw it mentioned somewhere on the internet. Beyond stuff like that, there’s a few moments in the Aiel Wastes where you read about a pre-Age of Legends civilization that has modern day tech but it’s not explicitly “our world”. I’m not sure if there’s anything else besides the hood ornament that’s directly tied to modern day Earth.

Essentially I don’t think most book readers would EXPECT a ton of post-post apocalypse stuff but having it in the show isn’t going against canon if they keep it as background-only visual stuff.

Not sure if I’m a fan of Manetheron’s ruins being a bunch of skyscrapers since that was a trolloc war city but I’m not getting worked up about it.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 20, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Books answer:

There's also ties to our history in some of the ancient myths Thom tells like the two giants Mosk and Merk (USSR and America in the Cold War) or Therese, Healer of All (Mother Theresa)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Leathal posted:

Not sure if I’m a fan of Manetheron’s ruins being a bunch of skyscrapers since that was a trolloc war city but I’m not getting worked up about it.

I don't think that you've got the right location there. You see that shot well after they leave two rivers, and Manatheron's city was up in the mountains. And finally, Manatheron was not of the age of legend, which those ruins certainly looked like.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

DogsInSpace! posted:

Really like every actor, including the one playing my teen book arch nemesis Nynaeve. I HATED the character in the book I always thought she was just stupidly stubborn and ridiculously hard headed to the point of parody as opposed to what people were actually like. I was 13. In this show she is far less parody and the actress did a great job making me NOT hate her. She sees far more competent and, although wary and skeptical, not a complete obstinate proto Karen.

This is a common thing with Nynaeve for people who read the books when they were pretty young. I felt the same way.

Then when I reread several years later, her character pretty much owns from the beginning.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
I don't know if it was just me, but did anyone think (or noticed?) certain scenic shots suddenly looking like a painting? There was a shot of two rivers, then another scenic shot after they left. Both in episode 1.

I'm going to try find those bits to rewatch now, as I am unsure if it was just my TV or connection!

Generally, though, the series is excellent so far. The trollocs do look a little on the over-CGI side of things, but honestly it's no worse than the Hobbit movies. I did wonder how they would try to convey the trollocs, and what they've done is not a bad effort. The CGI does allow a more bestial feel to them (particularly those ones running on all fours). Mostly though, I am just exicited to finally get this story. I only got to book 7 and can no longer stand Robert Jordan's writing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kilson posted:

This is a common thing with Nynaeve for people who read the books when they were pretty young. I felt the same way.

Then when I reread several years later, her character pretty much owns from the beginning.

Rereading the series as an adult, she was always awesome, and those of us who hated her when we were young either grew up or didn't.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kilson posted:

I last re-read the series when I was well into my 30s and no, she still seemed very much to be a know it all jerk who was very often wrong about things, especially any kind of persona interaction.

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Generally, though, the series is excellent so far. The trollocs do look a little on the over-CGI side of things, but honestly it's no worse than the Hobbit movies. I did wonder how they would try to convey the trollocs, and what they've done is not a bad effort.

The only valid complaint about diversity in this show is that there isn't enough of it in the trollocs. They're almost all goat horned. You hardly ever see any wolf or pig types. I dont' recall seeing a single bird type.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Rarity posted:

Books answer:

There's also ties to our history in some of the ancient myths Thom tells like the two giants Mosk and Merk (USSR and America in the Cold War) or Therese, Healer of All (Mother Theresa)

Oh and don’t forget Lenn who flew in the belly of an Eagle (John Glenn) and his daughter Salya who walked amongst the stars(Sally Ride)! Anla the Wise Counselor (advice columnist Ann Landers) There are all kinds of Easter Eggs.

I would tend to not characterize Randland as future Earth, though. It’s more like our reality is their myth. The Wheel Turns.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

CainFortea posted:

I last re-read the series when I was well into my 30s and no, she still seemed very much to be a know it all jerk who was very often wrong about things, especially any kind of persona interaction.

The only valid complaint about diversity in this show is that there isn't enough of it in the trollocs. They're almost all goat horned. You hardly ever see any wolf or pig types. I dont' recall seeing a single bird type.

I think you can catch glimpses of different faces, deffo saw a beak in there somewhere. Honestly though they look for like the Darkspawn from Dragon Age than what I imagined them to be.

I always thought of them as being like a Tengu* but all horned and goat legs and just god drat terrifying. These all felt a bit... I dunno, just generic?

*I don't mean the big nosed red faced things. I always thought a Tengu was what they had in Guild Wars but apparently I am wrong???? :confused:

Solefald fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 20, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
early second ep spoiler it's been a very long time since I last read EotW but did Moiraine really kill the ferry guy in the books? What happened to the oaths?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Intruder posted:

early second ep spoiler it's been a very long time since I last read EotW but did Moiraine really kill the ferry guy in the books? What happened to the oaths?

In the books she set his ferry loose and set him off chasing it

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Intruder posted:

Book 1 spoiler No the ferryman survives in the book. And it's not overt (it is obvious, but she's not overt about it) that Moiraine sinks the ferry in that version.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Solefald posted:

I think you can catch glimpses of different faces, deffo saw a beak in there somewhere. Honestly though they look for like the Darkspawn from Dragon Age than what I imagined them to be.

I always thought of them as being like a Tengu* but all horned and goat legs and just god drat terrifying. These all felt a bit... I dunno, just generic?

*I don't mean the big nosed red faced things. I always thought a Tengu was what they had in Guild Wars but apparently I am wrong???? :confused:

8 ft tall sam eagle just mauling folks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Intruder posted:

it's a scene set up to establish a sense of how she can bend things to qualify for the oaths. if the guy had just stayed there he'd have been fine. instead he tried to go get the ferry that she was sinking, which she was all doing to prevent them to get to their side which would have endangered her, her warder, and the rest of the group, and the threat was from shadowspawn at that. she didn't kill the guy directly but he was going to die since he left the dock, no matter what, and going even further it could have ended up with all of them dead.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Show rules so far after episode 1

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I love the design of the trollocs, they really (book spoiler) come off as legitimately something that could have been designed by the forsaken

I always pictured fades as having human mouths but eh

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Intruder posted:

I love the design of the trollocs, they really (book spoiler) come off as legitimately something that could have been designed by the forsaken

I always pictured fades as having human mouths but eh

join us https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

early second ep spoiler What happened to the oaths?

she literally answers this question as soon as it happens, she sunk the ferry, while everyone was still on land, it was the dude's problem that he went after it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

re: laila

She is absolutely readying to take a swing, the only possible non-betrayal reasoning is that she wanted to help finish off the trolloc on the ground but I can't imagine not thinking Perrin already has it in hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok having seen all three episodes

Wtf bela?!?!?!