Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Zotix posted:

The problem with this is he wasn't armed when he crossed state lines. Nadler should do better, but it doesn't play into the narrative.

His point is that he crossed state lines to prevent people from exercising a federally-guaranteed right, and he's arguing that this is a crime. It doesn't matter whether he had the gun when he crossed into WI under that theory.

Edit: I guess he did say "armed persons crossing..." but I think the theory he's expressing would hold whether or not the person was armed when they crossed the border. I personally do not believe, however, that this line of reasoning is a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1461796805411287041

gently caress Joe Biden.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

How are u posted:

That's kind of a weird sentiment, man. Do you have dwarfism and are you speaking from personal experience? I have known a few folks with the condition over my life and they've had plenty of reasons to live vibrant lives.

I think we should all check our privileges.

Its a reference to a song

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

This would be a great opportunity for Garland to prove he's running an independent DoJ. Not holding my breath, tho.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Agree. Holy poo poo this was the wrong response from the President.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

So lets go brandon?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Agree. Holy poo poo this was the wrong response from the President.

did you really expect him to have any response other than this though

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

nm

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If you feel frustrated about today's events and you have any money to spare, please donate to the Freedom Fund for the imminent protests in Kinosha and nationwide. They're gonna need it. Direct support is the biggest difference-maker. mkefreedomfund.org

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Some brutal ownage Biden just laid down on the american people there

Masterful troll.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Despera posted:

So lets go brandon?

Just say "gently caress joe biden", don't repeat this poo poo here.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Despera posted:

So lets go brandon?

Don't be a child. Just say gently caress Joe Biden.

Also, gently caress Joe Biden.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

The point here might be that he didn't have to respond, especially if it was going to be something as lovely as that.

gently caress Joe Biden.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Of course the old segregationist would say this.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Don't be a child. Just say gently caress Joe Biden.

Also, gently caress Joe Biden.

Ah yes dont be a child, while whining a generic press statement.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Despera posted:

Ah yes dont be a child, while whining a generic press statement.

If you want to gleefully shout fascist memes there's always Twitter. We can say "gently caress Joe Biden" here and it's just fine.

gently caress Joe Biden's lovely opinion on this miscarriage of justice. I hope he comes to see how wrong he is.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Joe Biden really wants to see how low his approval rating can go, huh?

Between this and student loans starting up in a few months it's possible he's going to be sub-30%.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I understand the references to his past, but I actually expected his response to be in the form of "Im having the DOJ look into this".

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Mind_Taker posted:

Joe Biden really wants to see how low his approval rating can go, huh?

Between this and student loans starting up in a few months it's possible he's going to be sub-30%.
I got my monthly "Hey, fucker! Your student loans are starting up soon! Go gently caress yourself!" e-mail last night and it is really killing my midterm enthusiasm.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I understand the references to his past, but I actually expected his response to be in the form of "Im having the DOJ look into this".

I encourage you to cease expecting anything decent from a politician

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gently caress Biden and gently caress everyone involved in letting that murderous little poo poo walk.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Abner Assington posted:

I got my monthly "Hey, fucker! Your student loans are starting up soon! Go gently caress yourself!" e-mail last night and it is really killing my midterm enthusiasm.

Same. With the lovely job the Democrats are doing lately, I might still vote in 2022 (because I actually do like Mark Kelly here in AZ), but come 2024, I'll just toss my ballot in the fireplace and watch chaos reign on election night.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So does this officially make Joe a fascist?

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

ReidRansom posted:

So two armed mobs are going to meet on the streets, and in the tension someone is going to pop one off, no one will know who in the ensuing confusion, and both sides, under the impression they're being fired upon will fire upon each other, and no one will be at fault for the carnage because they were all acting in self-defense.

That all sound about right? Just a question of when and where, I guess. Kenosha tonight? Portland by EoY? Nightly everywhere around mid-terms next year? jk, the leftists will be found at fault

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Waco_shootout

For a similar event that has already happened. Nine people killed, zero convictions obtained

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It only works if you have dwarfism.

And also have $900/week for the drug. (2021 dollars; it'll be $5000/week in a couple years after a few more pharma mergers & a few more years of congressional reluctance to control pricing.)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Biden, just don't say anything! That's not hard!

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Biden is pretty hands off with the DOJ, as it should be. My guess is he was trying to minimize the coming chaos headed to wisconsin by putting out a Reaganesque "welp, the jury has spoken" platitude. I'm not saying Garland doesn't suck, but he's proving that he would have been exactly the kind of centrist that probably would have gotten through the confirmation if he had gotten a chance. My prediction is he gets replaced by someone with a little more fire at some point.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Isn't this the standard separation of powers song and dance that every respectable head of the executive would do in a functioning rule of law state?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

CSM posted:

Isn't this the standard separation of powers song and dance that every respectable head of the executive would do in a functioning rule of law state?

Yep, not sure what people wanted him to do honestly but it‘a exhausting imagining.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CSM posted:

It's the attempt at official message of trying to keep the peace one expects from politics, as wrong as it is.

The trial itself is a huge can of worms that doesn't bode well for people protesting police violence or white violence against people of color and seems to say "Keep in line/know your place."

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

Amen.

SourKraut posted:

Same. With the lovely job the Democrats are doing lately, I might still vote in 2022 (because I actually do like Mark Kelly here in AZ), but come 2024, I'll just toss my ballot in the fireplace and watch chaos reign on election night.
Still sticking with local/state stuff and definitely voting for Charles Booker, but the national party can get hosed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gatts posted:

It's the attempt at official message of trying to keep the peace one expects from politics, as wrong as it is.

The trial itself is a huge can of worms that doesn't bode well for people protesting police violence or white violence against people of color and seems to say "Keep in line/know your place."
Should've said that the justice system is broken and the laws are insane so nobody should trust jury verdicts. I'm sure that wouldn't lead to any issues down the road.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shammypants posted:

Yep, not sure what people wanted him to do honestly but it‘a exhausting imagining.

What's "exhausting" about making up scenarios in your head of what others are thinking about someone else doing? Can't you direct your mind to think of less tiring things? :confused:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Goddamn, Biden just can't escape the 'What did you expect, the president can't say/do that' can he? Why doesn't he cancel student loans? Well, the president can't do that (actually he might, but his admin hasn't actually revealed if he can or not), and if you think about it, people getting their lives crippled by returning debt payments is a good thing, because DUH gently caress YOU!. Why doesn't he address the supply chain issue? Well, he can say stupid poo poo but apparently any and all aspect of what's currently going on is out of his and his admin's hands. Why the boilerplate non-substantial response to the acquittal? Well, he can't shake the boat, per say. The law is just, the law is fair, so sayeth old white man Biden.

If you think about it, Biden is the real victim here. Why did you sons of bitches elect him into what turned out to be the most powerless position in government? That's just cruel, picking on a elderly person.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

CSM posted:

trump would have been screaming if his side lost.
i'm glad the president can be neutral, i'm sure biden isn't, but the president should be

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Biden

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The justice system is working exactly how it's supposed to and Biden supports it like he has his entire career

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I love when the news thread is full of "THIS is the thing that made me/will make others decide not to vote for Dems," posts. Really productive use of page space.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gatts posted:

What peace? What peace is there to maintain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sanguinia posted:

I understand the distinction between leftist and rightwing thought on guns. I just recognize that its a distinction without a difference.

The trans woman buying a gun to protect herself is just as much buying into a fantasy that doesn't reflect reality as the John McClane idiot. The Marxist talking about how essential it is to keep the workers and the oppressed armed is living in just as big a delusion of their own individual agency through violence as praxis as the Race War Prepper. That's why I refer to guns as safety blankets, they don't do the thing people buy them to do.

The only thing guns do is suck up money better spent on other things, money which goes right into the pockets of right wing politicians to boot, and be a constant danger to people in any place they exist due to the possibility of mechanical malfunction, misfire, suicide enablement, or by making you an even juicier target for a crime by making sure you carry something of high monetary value on your person that is easy to sell and could be used to silence you in the process.

If you want to defend yourself, spend 10 bucks on a baseball bat or 25 on a knife, not 300 on a glock. It has the exact same chance of actually working and none of the downsides. If you think that arming yourself personally is a worthwhile resort against encroaching right wing state violence, before you buy a gun go buy a history book and find out how useful that has ever been.

Sorry, I should have specified that I didn't necessarily agree with the points I was putting forward, just offering an explanation. I agree with what you say; I think if the left wants to make use of firearms it's only going to actually be useful (Distinct from good or bad, I emphasize) in the context of a group activity, whether that's by doing what the Black Panthers did (And that very much INCLUDES all the other things to build support and awareness, like free breakfasts for schoolkids and free clinics) or by outright preparing for revolutionary violence. Frankly I'm pessimistic either of those methods would actually succeed either because the right wing state would react, uh, sternly but successful revolutions have occurred, successful lone wolf heroes with guns have, just as you say, a rather less impressive track record.