Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

Dragon age inquisition doesn’t give you recommended levels for all missions which leads to you being either hellaciously underpowered or overpowered for certain areas. This is made worse by the fact that if you stick it out in areas where you’re under leveled, it makes other areas trivial (I still love the game)

This fact is one of my favorite little things about that game as well

Edit: I have no shame for this snipe :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I post in both threads. Got the wrong one. DAI has a ton of stuff it gets right though. Like I mentioned previously in this thread (hopefully) the dragon encounters are absolutely perfect and should serve as an example for anyone else trying to make a high fantasy game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

I post in both threads. Got the wrong one. DAI has a ton of stuff it gets right though. Like I mentioned previously in this thread (hopefully) the dragon encounters are absolutely perfect and should serve as an example for anyone else trying to make a high fantasy game.

Yeah they fuckin slapped for sure

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Roblo posted:

Looked to me more like they were just swarming over a guy?

Now that I can look at the trailer on something other than a phone screen, that seems to be the case. Still cool tho

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Honestly, I like it when games aren't afraid to smack your rear end down for walking into the wrong neighborhood, so long as it's not too hard to find the right neighborhood as well. Hell, some of my best RPG memories are from diving into zones that I was way underleveled for, and scraping through by the skin of my teeth.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly, I like it when games aren't afraid to smack your rear end down for walking into the wrong neighborhood, so long as it's not too hard to find the right neighborhood as well. Hell, some of my best RPG memories are from diving into zones that I was way underleveled for, and scraping through by the skin of my teeth.

apparently this is controversial but I thought the graveyard at the very start of dark souls 1 was pretty good. I went there first and immediately got owned, it was very clear I was not supposed to go there, but it always stayed in the back of my mind as I progressed up the intended path and I kept thinking about when I should go back and show those fuckin skeletons

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

apparently this is controversial but I thought the graveyard at the very start of dark souls 1 was pretty good. I went there first and immediately got owned, it was very clear I was not supposed to go there, but it always stayed in the back of my mind as I progressed up the intended path and I kept thinking about when I should go back and show those fuckin skeletons

I think the problem there is the game's reputation preceding it. Dark Souls is supposed to be A Hard Game, so for a lot of people they walk into the skeleton graveyard and they don't go 'oh, this isn't where I'm supposed to be going', they go 'this must be where Dark Souls really gets hard'.

At least New Londo had enemies that were outright invincible, which is a very clear marker of 'don't go here'.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dr Christmas posted:

Now that I can look at the trailer on something other than a phone screen, that seems to be the case. Still cool tho

Totally. Nerglings are awesome and so is Papa Nurgle.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Beartaco posted:

Didn't Hello Neighbour become an unimaginable phenomenon, spanning multiple games and genres? Meanwhile I don't know anyone who's actually played them myself.

Yeah you could say that.

I'm surprised it's taken off the way it did. The first game was really kind of lovely.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vandar posted:

Yeah you could say that.

I'm surprised it's taken off the way it did. The first game was really kind of lovely.

It probably filled an underserved niche, of the wacky child friendly horror game. Which seems to match with the children's books and stuff.

I played a bit of the Switch version of the original at a LAN party about a month ago and besides some bugs it was mostly fine. It's basically a more kid friendly journey through a resident evil mansion with cranks and keys and stuff. Not super great but I can understand why it became a thing for the younger demographic.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I remember a lot of people getting mad at FFXII because there was a powerful T-Rex outside of the starting town. It didn't attack you unless you attacked it first (I think. That or you basically had to want to fight it in order for it to aggro), but if you fought it immediately you would get stomped.

Bunch of people still got salty thinking that they were supposed to fight it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Yeah that part of it is fun/fine. It’s the part where it makes some other area trivial that could have been fun because now you’re overleveled that I don’t like.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I have never had less fun in a jrpg from being overlevelled. Hell yes gimme that extra xp

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most JRPGs are incredibly easy but in a 50-hour game with repetitive combat, I can't imagine anything less fun than every encounter being super difficult.

I've always seen JRPG combat as more of a time accrual mechanic that lets you get more attached to specific characters through their looks and abilities, such that by the end of the story you feel as if you've been on a real journey together. Some have well-balanced systems and more challenging encounters, but it's not really an expectation. The combat is there to watch your favorite waifus and husbandos kick rear end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cleretic posted:

I think the problem there is the game's reputation preceding it. Dark Souls is supposed to be A Hard Game, so for a lot of people they walk into the skeleton graveyard and they don't go 'oh, this isn't where I'm supposed to be going', they go 'this must be where Dark Souls really gets hard'.

At least New Londo had enemies that were outright invincible, which is a very clear marker of 'don't go here'.

There's also the problem that if you do somehow manage to push through the skeletons and make it through the catacombs and tomb of giants, you run into an orange fog wall and now you have to do it again backwards to reach the rest of the game because you can't fast travel out of there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

exquisite tea posted:

Most JRPGs are incredibly easy but in a 50-hour game with repetitive combat, I can't imagine anything less fun than every encounter being super difficult.

I've always seen JRPG combat as more of a time accrual mechanic that lets you get more attached to specific characters through their looks and abilities, such that by the end of the story you feel as if you've been on a real journey together. Some have well-balanced systems and more challenging encounters, but it's not really an expectation. The combat is there to watch your favorite waifus and husbandos kick rear end.

More that the badly designed JRPGs have combat that's got a way you're supposed to do it, and never tells you. Also it might not actually work due to bugs that render entire primary stats entirely superfluous.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not sure about SMTV (because the mechanics for the MC tend to change from game to game) but generally, SMT games tend to be hard at the start, and a decent challenge but not too strenuous later on when you have a wide coverage of spell types and immunities (or Almighty damage, which ignores most things). Personally, I play them because Pokemon-but-with-Demons is a fun concept, and God DOES need a good punching.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

haveblue posted:

There's also the problem that if you do somehow manage to push through the skeletons and make it through the catacombs and tomb of giants, you run into an orange fog wall and now you have to do it again backwards to reach the rest of the game because you can't fast travel out of there

This is the real lovely part of it. If there was, like, a mysterious hole that you could fall down at that point that would put you in front of the crypt, or if interacting with the orange wall before getting the prerequisite progress mysteriously teleported you back, that'd be fine. But getting that far (which, honestly, is difficult but far from surmountable especially if you have experience with the first game) and then being presented with a dead end and nothing to do but trudge back? That's poo poo design.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Morpheus posted:

This is the real lovely part of it. If there was, like, a mysterious hole that you could fall down at that point that would put you in front of the crypt, or if interacting with the orange wall before getting the prerequisite progress mysteriously teleported you back, that'd be fine. But getting that far (which, honestly, is difficult but far from surmountable especially if you have experience with the first game) and then being presented with a dead end and nothing to do but trudge back? That's poo poo design.

I 100% agree because I almost ended up as this person because I had seen a playthrough of Demon Souls without playing myself, and I thought "oh its supposed to be difficult". There absolutely should be a "Take me to Firelink" warp item if you end up at the orange fog wall in the tomb.

I do think the open design is fantastic, though. You might not make objective storyline progress by going that way, but it does allow you to get access to a TON of stuff you shouldn't have access to at the time. There should be an escape once you realize you have to make the walk back in an area heavily designed to punish walking back, but I want every game to have an area just off the main hub that is designed for you to revisit at level 40. I will charge in headfirst at level 5 every time. :getin:

It's one of the main reasons I like New Vegas. I will turn to face Goodsprings and walk backwards into Quarry Junction

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In Dark Souls 2 the far bonfires at the end of each path will warp you back to majula for free, including without resting, you just touch em. Rendered a bit moot by being able to warp from any bonfire whenever you want but it actually does serve a cool kind of purpose. It's important because Dark Souls 2 has bonus unlocks for beating it without dying or without using a bonfire to rest. So at least they realized that was a problem, just one game too late.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have all the main things done in Dragon Quest 11 at this stage in the plot, just need to take the 6 orbs to Arboria to continue the story. (I also have all sidequests except for 2 done, the two I cannot take yet)

I really like the touch in the Royal Library dungeon. Most of the enemies are mage types so of course you'd expect them to be intelligent - on the third floor, instead of wandering randomly like every other enemy in the game, there is a small group of them, two Wrecktors and a Hat Hamwitch (evil priests and a pig in a witch hat) being taught by a larger serpent that's a new enemy type called a "Professaurus" - that's really cute. It goes further too, all the mage type enemies ignore you unless you attack THEM because you are all just there to learn.

It's a very unique thing and I liked it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

That's something I really liked in Chrono Trigger, the bespoke placement of the monsters meant it was easy to inject a lot of life into them

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In the Yakuza games, there's just something I find consistently funny every time you open a fight immediately using a finishing move on someone specifically with a traffic cone. Like, that's so bonkers that you'd think everyone else would just be like :stare: and gtfo.

Actually the whole contextual heat move system is just insane, these games have had the most brutal but technically non-lethal combat I've played. Everyone jokes about Batman, but Kiryu's out there day in and day out, crushing people with motorcycles or slamming their heads in car doors. But you know that every time they're just gonna get up afterwards and be like "oof ow, sorry to have bothered you" :unsmith:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kiryu Kazama Has Never Killed A Man

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cleretic posted:

And then when I got to Capra Demon and got flattened in less than a second ten times in a row I figured "oh, it's like the graveyard"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Maxwell Lord posted:

A very silly favorite thing but the PS2 Minority Report game had intense rad particle physics and one of the ways they showed it off was making as much of the glass in the game defenestration bait as possible. Including the glass in massive skyscrapers. So your beleaguered officer of the law accused of precrime murder would drop kick a dude out a 50 story high window then continue proclaiming he wouldn’t murder anyone, something is wrong with the precrime ladies :allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

In the Yakuza games, there's just something I find consistently funny every time you open a fight immediately using a finishing move on someone specifically with a traffic cone. Like, that's so bonkers that you'd think everyone else would just be like :stare: and gtfo.

Actually the whole contextual heat move system is just insane, these games have had the most brutal but technically non-lethal combat I've played. Everyone jokes about Batman, but Kiryu's out there day in and day out, crushing people with motorcycles or slamming their heads in car doors. But you know that every time they're just gonna get up afterwards and be like "oof ow, sorry to have bothered you" :unsmith:

"Hey let's jump that 6.5-foor jacked guy"
*Kieyu snaps man in half using nearby street sign and bounces him four feet into the air*
"Yes this was a good idea let us continue to fight this man who did that without even breaking a sweat."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

And then when I got to Capra Demon and got flattened in less than a second ten times in a row I figured "oh, it's like the graveyard"

Did you consider blocking?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I will never not kill Capra by throwing turd at him from afar. It's better than he deserves.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A person's opinion on Capra Demon or the Helkite Drake is the litmus test for if they're a reasonable Souls fan or if they're about to unironically say "git gud scrub".

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The best way to handle Capra Demon is to roast his rear end with fire.

You did start as the best class, the pyromancer, right? :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Man it's so weird that this chaingun I found in this ninja castle came preloaded with rubber bullets

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

1stGear posted:

A person's opinion on Capra Demon or the Helkite Drake is the litmus test for if they're a reasonable Souls fan or if they're about to unironically say "git gud scrub".

Capra is really rough but once you know the stairs trick to handle the dogs it's perfectly reasonable. The drake can suck my rear end and most games after my first playthrough I just used the master key to go into the burg backwards so the fucker never even showed up :colbert:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

1stGear posted:

Trap sprung I guess but Capra is almost free as soon as you kill the dogs. The stairs do most of the work unless you get unlucky.

And helkite? Who is getting stuck there? You could get killed by trying to block the fire but other than that it should be fine. It'd be hard to convince yourself that you have to kill it to progress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man it's so weird that this chaingun I found in this ninja castle came preloaded with rubber bullets

Also the time he shot a bunch of dudes in the head causing them to crash their cars and helicopters and they all climbed out of the wreckage shaking their fists offscreen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kiryu doesn’t kill anyone in the same way Batman doesn’t kill anyone

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*jumpkicks sword into someone's stomach* Eh, just walk it off

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

haveblue posted:

Kiryu doesn’t kill anyone in the same way Batman doesn’t kill anyone

Yeah tiger drop seems like it would leave some lasting damage.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't make me tap the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKzWB3sDFc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

C'mon it was clearly bullets that killed that guy