Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My "I definitely am not being punished for speaking out against a prominent politician" emails have people asking a lot of questions already answered by my emails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somaen posted:

The important question to ask here that you CIA stooges haven't considered -- what if the intent of disappearing her was good, just poorly implemented?

She just released photos of herself chilling with her cat. So she's at least alive and at home.

Cross post:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

She just released photos of herself chilling with her cat. So she's at least alive and at home.

Or was at some point.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Lmao. Post the happy Uighur dancing video next

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Daduzi posted:

Or was at some point.

Unlikely she is in a detention facility or anything like that. She was probably quietly wisked home and place under surveillance. Probably had a nice criticism session where she was reminded about how social harmony works along with some snooping around her devices to see if someone put her up to this for internal political games. Basically told to shut up and stay out of sight and she knows she is being strictly monitored for the time being.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somaen posted:

Lmao. Post the happy Uighur dancing video next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSm2sQ-YAfg

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Does Chinese state media routinely report that NOTHING BAD HAS HAPPENED to a person?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The whole fact that the 'nothing bad is happening to me, really.' statement has a text editor cursor plainly visible just makes it even more suspicious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
You figure it would be EASY to just post a video saying she's okay. The staged looking photos and email are....really creepy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
A regime obsessed with dehumanizing people and with strict control of human expression ends up being pretty bad at acting believably human, who would have thought.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"
The 3rd photo has a selfie with Winnie the Pooh clearly in the background too while holding a panda.

That seems deliberate on her end if she's trying to send a message.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Putrid Dog posted:

The 3rd photo has a selfie with Winnie the Pooh clearly in the background too while holding a panda.

That seems deliberate on her end if she's trying to send a message.

I thought Winnie the Pooh was banned in China? You'd think the state goons clearly forcing her to hug her cat would have caught that.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
It feels weird to build this up into an elaborate fantasy of totalitarian China when it's comes off as the same cycle of pressure women face accusing powerful men worldwide. Looking for signals in the phrasing or images or timing seems off to me, as does speculating about secret blacksites.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

It feels weird to build this up into an elaborate fantasy of totalitarian China when it's comes off as the same cycle of pressure women face accusing powerful men worldwide. Looking for signals in the phrasing or images or timing seems off to me, as does speculating about secret blacksites.

She also has a Kung Fu Panda which means she's fighting for her life!

Perhaps the Pokemon means she is trying to evolve her way out of the predicament.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
It's quickly turning into a diplomatic incident and there's also going to be lots of money at stake, millions around the world are wondering where she is, and she can't pick up the phone to speak to the WTA -an organisation which she must be affiliated with?

I'm sure everything is normal and she just can't get to the phone right now, despite the fact she is happily resting at home.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It seems more reasonable to believe the the regime that routinely makes anyone who gets a bit too popular disappear under house arrest for a bit and is able to get celebrities and organisations around the world to grovel and kowtow for offending its sensibilities would be blindsided by the idea that Women's Tennis would the one to finally take a stand against them.

e: it's not the same at all. The women who accused Weinstein didn't have their facebook accounts shut down and suddenly disappear from all public contact and then had very obviously government press officer written letters put out in their names.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sometimes celebrities don't want to talk about their break ups. It's certainly possible that there was some shady business going down, but at this point we don't even have clear accusations. Instead, we should believe women when they say nothing is wrong.

Besides, that's not how states shut down rumors of sexual misconduct or assault. Rather than arrest them, generally states will use their media outlets to smear the victim as a liar and a fraud like they did with Tara Reid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The initial accusation was on her own social media, which was swiftly blocked and all mention of her, the incident or even "tennis" saw censorship. There were clear accusations in Peng's initial post.

So when you say we should believe women you mean we should not believe the statement that she herself put out but instead believe the statement that was released on her behalf under suspicious circumstances weeks after her disappearance?

Rabelais D fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 20, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sometimes celebrities don't want to talk about their break ups. It's certainly possible that there was some shady business going down, but at this point we don't even have clear accusations. Instead, we should believe women when they say nothing is wrong.

Besides, that's not how states shut down rumors of sexual misconduct or assault. Rather than arrest them, generally states will use their media outlets to smear the victim as a liar and a fraud like they did with Tara Reid.

#believeallstatemedia

This is pretty gross to be honest. I'll believe her direct words vs those of her state handlers that won't let her speak for herself.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even as an obvious troll, trotting out 'believe women' to try to defend a state cover up of sexual abuse is vile.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What State Media Outlet smeared Tara Reade? The only State Media Outlet that has anything to do with her, as far as I'm aware, is the Russian one that hired her as a pundit.

e: If I'm factually wrong and like Voice of America or Stars and Stripes did some hit pieces on her then my mistake. RT is universally acknowledged as a Russian state media outlet, so I'm pretty sure I'm correct there?

How are u fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 20, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How are u posted:

What State Media Outlet smeared Tara Reade? The only State Media Outlet that has anything to do with her, as far as I'm aware, is the Russian one that hired her as a pundit.
You can't simultaneously pretend to care about me too while smearing Tara Reade in the same sentence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You can't simultaneously pretend to care about me too while smearing Tara Reade in the same sentence.

Okay, yet you are basically smearing a victim of sexual assault, so maybe you need to chill the gently caress out and stop making excuses about this?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sometimes celebrities don't want to talk about their break ups.

She accused him of raping her. Stop trying to downplay this, especially in the same breath as bringing up another victim.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cpt_Obvious posted:

what the absolute gently caress is wrong with you

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think you enjoy constructing dishonest arguments on the internet. We should believe the statement that came after she disappeared but not the statement that was so explosive that the entire sport of tennis was banned from mention on the Chinese internet? You must really think we're stupid.

Your post brings to mind the Sartre quote about antisemites. You can write these absurd things because you don't believe any of it, you're just playing with words. I don't know what your motives are but I know that nobody will gain any knowledge or clearer understanding of China by engaging with your pervasive flagrant dishonesty and bad faith.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
"Believe all women" might be wrong but kidnapping the women is always wrong

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Magic Underwear posted:

I think you enjoy constructing dishonest arguments on the internet. We should believe the statement that came after she disappeared but not the statement that was so explosive that the entire sport of tennis was banned from mention on the Chinese internet? You must really think we're stupid.

Your post brings to mind the Sartre quote about antisemites. You can write these absurd things because you don't believe any of it, you're just playing with words. I don't know what your motives are but I know that nobody will gain any knowledge or clearer understanding of China by engaging with your pervasive flagrant dishonesty and bad faith.

I generally just lurk in this thread, but honestly I ended up putting Cpt_Obvious on ignore, because he can only ever take a pro-PRC stance. I don't know if it's poor trolling or something else; he did mention once about his wife being from mainland China and her parents are still there, so maybe it's just related to that, I don't know.

But yeah, his arguments/posts seem to often be in bad faith and disingenuous, and it gets frustrating trying to respond to him.

I know this is violating the "posting about posters" rule, so I'll take the 6er, but it just is hard seeing him poo poo up an otherwise good thread.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Cross post:

Thats not how proof of life works either

:rolleyes:
Apr 2, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You care about her so much that you initially spelled her name like she was the actress, then tried to whatabout her while downplaying someone else's very obviously real rape in the same sentence.

Just because the D&D revolution reached a critical mass of tankies and rolled over the bulk of the forum doesn't mean you can invade the autonomous thread next door, comrade. Now gently caress off.

:rolleyes: fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 20, 2021

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Despera posted:

"Believe all women" might be wrong

I am sorry, what?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Despera posted:

"Believe all women" might be wrong but kidnapping the women is always wrong

Genuinely unclear on what you're trying to say here

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
helpful reminder that we have moved to a low-tolerance policy regarding doubting rape accusations

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

lol good grief

If it's not a legitimate rape allegation, state media has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cease to Hope posted:

Genuinely unclear on what you're trying to say here

Even if she is lying (which i doubt) doesnt give anyone the right to kidnap her

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Magic Underwear posted:

Some people view the world like team sports. My team good, rah rah. Their team bad.

Then it doesn't matter what their team does - the Penn State child sex abuse scandal springs to mind as a literal example of this - they will always defend it.

Just, what a massive piece of poo poo you would have to be to use the language of sexual assault victims as a cudgel against criticism of an authoritarian state which disappears and forces apologies out of people as a matter of course because "my team good".

And that's the most charitable reading I can give their post. Just loving shameful.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Some people view the world like team sports. My team good, rah rah. Their team bad.

Then it doesn't matter what their team does - the Penn State child sex abuse scandal springs to mind as a literal example of this - they will always defend it.

Just, what a massive piece of poo poo you would have to be to use the language of sexual assault victims as a cudgel against criticism of an authoritarian state which disappears and forces apologies out of people as a matter of course because "my team good".

And that's the most charitable reading I can give their post. Just loving shameful.

Or make light of that state's abuses. I can't stomach people like that and there are quite a few of them out.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ok c'mon, I'm dnd's token prc stan and even I think this seems hella hosed. Being a communist* state does not magically purge all traces of cultural chauvinism from the party's mind, and old dudes in a position of power have close to the same structures that protect them from their actions.

Like really, this is embarrassing guys, your making me look bad. Though she obviously hasn't been black sited

*a state that purportedly strives towards communism

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 20, 2021

Lord of Lies
Jun 19, 2021

Every. loving. Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
That really is unbelievable.