Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
watched it.
It’s really not as horrible as everyone is saying. It’s obviously not as good as the anime but it’s fine compared with other live action shows currently on offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Big fan of the original animated show and I think this is alright. Perfectly fine for a streaming show adaptation, granted I'm only 2 episodes in. Other factors for me: I'm old as dirt and I don't have the energy to be a grognard nerd about everything.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The trend I’m noticing in reviews is that professional critics not familiar with the anime think it’s decent if not great and the professional critics familiar with the anime loathe it. I predict that it will get 3 seasons before getting the axe.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I haven’t caught up with the thread but I just watched E1 and really enjoyed it!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds like it’s pretty average.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Dongicus posted:

genius move to cast a nb actor, keep them out of all of the marketing and casting news, then have them do this poo poo https://twitter.com/AwestruckVox/status/1461698018462384137?s=20

the one thing they faithfully adapted was ed. lmfao.

watching this made my soul turn inside out, thank you

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I like it. Its a little off/weird though, like if Cowboy Bebop had been a '70s cartoon and Quentin Tarantino made the live action series with a high fever and a lingering LSD hangover.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sekhmnet posted:

I like it. Its a little off/weird though, like if Cowboy Bebop had been a '70s cartoon and Quentin Tarantino made the live action series with a high fever and a lingering LSD hangover.

Big This vibes in the first ep. :hai:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m not one to complain about changes in anime adaptations (Death Note and GITS live action were both pretty good in my book), but I literally just watched the opening scene, and I feel like the fact that they successfully catch a bounty in it fundamentally misunderstands the point of the original show.

I’ll keep watching, and I may well enjoy the rest as its own thing, but it seems a bit bonkers to me that someone adapting this would make that decision.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sticklefifer posted:

I watched the first episode and it's exactly the kind of stylish camp I wanted. It cribs a lot from the anime but also does its own thing. I ain't mad.

Yeah just finished the first ep and it's fine. Looks great, seems to be the correct level of dumb. Lol at people who watched the entire season already.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xibanya posted:

The trend I’m noticing in reviews is that professional critics not familiar with the anime think it’s decent if not great and the professional critics familiar with the anime loathe it. I predict that it will get 3 seasons before getting the axe.
I mean don't most Netflix series only get 3 seasons? So presumably they have that in mind already.

Having finally got through the whole series, I can honestly say I really liked it. There's definitely some bits that could do with some work - Faye's dialogue did get a bit too much in places, for one thing, although overall Pineda's performance was excellent, just like the cast overall. Also I didn't mind the departures they did from the original all that much - given the anime is also on Netflix, it's not like just doing a shot-for-shot remake would have worked out all that great. Not to mention the anime predated streaming & bingewatching, so they were making this with that in mind.

And for spoilers for the very end: I'm really looking forward to Ed. I get the feeling her intro at the end is deliberately OTT due to Spike's drunk/hungover state and they'll tone the performance down a bit for series 2. Which looks to be tackling Vincent from the movie as the overarching villain and then if it's going to be just three seasons they'll come back to the Vicious/Julia/Syndicate plot. I also like they apparently found a NB actor to play Ed, so it looks like they're officially making them NB.

I definitely think and hope they'll take some feedback on board.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m not one to complain about changes in anime adaptations (Death Note and GITS live action were both pretty good in my book), but I literally just watched the opening scene, and I feel like the fact that they successfully catch a bounty in it fundamentally misunderstands the point of the original show.

I’ll keep watching, and I may well enjoy the rest as its own thing, but it seems a bit bonkers to me that someone adapting this would make that decision.

I mean they do explicitly note that most of the bounty money vanishes paying for the property damage (and they only got the ringleader), like the offscreen bounty Jet & Spike had just taken in at the start of Asteroid Blues.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean don't most Netflix series only get 3 seasons? So presumably they have that in mind already.

Ahh Santa Clarita Diet, you just kept getting more chaotic and I really wanted to see what mr ball legs was gonna do inside of Joel.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
is it very surprising that reviewers who are fine with every mediocre netflix show end up liking another mediocre netflix show

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Hace posted:

is it very surprising that reviewers who are fine with every mediocre netflix show end up liking another mediocre netflix show

Yeah it's weird how opinions are like that

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean they do explicitly note that most of the bounty money vanishes paying for the property damage (and they only got the ringleader), like the offscreen bounty Jet & Spike had just taken in at the start of Asteroid Blues.

Yeah, they understand the show just fine. GitS live action was boring and soulless imo, while this show is less technically proficient, it's fun! It even retains some of the social commentary of the original, and how lovely everything is without making it grim.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Episode 1 of the anime opens with Jet yelling at spike because all the poo poo he broke ate up most of the fees from the bounty.

This one just opens with them doing the damage

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

They literally caught a bounty at the beginning of the anime though. They just never get much money if they do...just like the adaptation.

The issue is the music isn't loud enough.

Edit: beaten

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, they understand the show just fine. GitS live action was boring and soulless imo, while this show is less technically proficient, it's fun! It even retains some of the social commentary of the original, and how lovely everything is without making it grim.

The opening scene of a show, or movie, is a mission statement, and an introduction to the characters. This shows that we’ll get stylish action, irreverent dialogue, and our characters are cool, good at fighting, bicker a lot, and get their man (even if inlater scenes they temper that victory somewhat).That last one is just weird in the context of the original. Say what you like about live-action GITS, it didn’t open with a scene of Scarlett Johannson saying “I may have an android body, but I’ve definitely, unambiguously, maintained 100% of my totally normal humanity!”

Anyway, I’ve watched the first episode, and it wasn’t awful, overall. I suspect that if the original never existed people would really like this as a fairly refreshing and stylish setting and, er, style. But as it is, it is pretty much definitely worse in every regard than the original. I’ll still watch it though, it’s not too bad, and it’s not like we’re getting more Bebop any other way.

One thing it did remind me of is Speed Racer, actually. Much less colourful obviously, (and much less good, frankly), and with a far smaller budget. But it’s doing a similar thing of explicitly trying to make a live-action anime, with lots of quick insert shots of cool movements and exaggerated characters.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Darko posted:

They literally caught a bounty at the beginning of the anime though. They just never get much money if they do...just like the adaptation.

The issue is the music isn't loud enough.

Edit: beaten

No they don’t. The first episode is the same basic plot as the live action show, opening scene and Faye aside. The bounty dies and and Spike and Jet keep eating their bell peppers. They don’t successfully land a bounty until the start of episode eight.

You’re right that the music is way too low in the mix though.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i genuinely think people who can sit and watch this and think it's anything less than pure dogshit have had their brains dug out with spoons a long time ago

this isn't even worth an actual review- it sucks, and that's that

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Spike doesn't say "You trust your eyes too much!" so this is a 0/10 for me

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Comrade Fakename posted:

No they don’t. The first episode is the same basic plot as the live action show, opening scene and Faye aside. The bounty dies and and Spike and Jet keep eating their bell peppers. They don’t successfully land a bounty until the start of episode eight.

They had just caught a bounty at the start, it was just offscreen and we saw Jet chew Spike out about it over bell peppers and beef.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Comrade Fakename posted:

When did you last watch the anime? Jet is cooking bell peppers and beef without beef and then he goes on a rant about how the last bounty made almost no money because Spike broke too much stuff. They just showed us them breaking stuff instead of telling us about it.

edit: this scene right here which establishes that yes they do in fact catch bounties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPShpDpeNbw

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

Heh, the music is lower volume in the mix on the English dub in the anime, too.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I'm in the middle of episode 2 and the showing is warming on me...

... gently caress.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

My final verdict on Bebop is i'm disappointed. Not because it's all bad. That would have been a relief really, could have just written it off completely. Episode 9 to me was absolutely worth watching and really good. But so much was just so wrong. I feel like the writers and directors wanted to make something completely different but were stuck with the bebop name and characters, and were like "Let's just make the CW crime drama we wanted anyway.". The $50 budget shows through so much too, unfortunately.

I think it should get a second season, because I genuinely believe it has the potential to grow the beard. I honestly think the movie could be turned into an entire season of events. But it's so mediocre that I doubt that's happening.

Another thing that perplexes me is they tried to include the big budget special effects characters and situations in episodes when they just clearly didn't have the budget for it. Like- Roco Bonnaro's episode would have been a terrific one off and wouldn't require much of a budget. An airport shot, street shots, some CG'd house and patio on Venus. A basketball court. But they wanted to do Udai Taxim instead. Which doesn't work without the prison barge and so on.

What a waste of potential.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 20, 2021

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
You are a bad person if you like this

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Len posted:

When did you last watch the anime? Jet is cooking bell peppers and beef without beef and then he goes on a rant about how the last bounty made almost no money because Spike broke too much stuff. They just showed us them breaking stuff instead of telling us about it.

edit: this scene right here which establishes that yes they do in fact catch bounties]

Having caught a bounty, in the past, off screen, is not “catching a bounty in the first episode”. Of course they sometimes catch bounties - they do it in the show just enough for it to be plausible that they can make a living doing it. But Cowboy Bebop is not a show about cool guys who catch criminals, it’s a show about cool guys who usually fail to do that. It’s a subversion of the format - it’s fundamentally a police procedural where our heroes investigate and then hunt down a criminal. But they don’t catch them because this is a show about how life doesn’t work like that, it’s messy and dumb luck can screw you over time and again.

I’m not complaining too much. The live-action show is okay, the first episode at least, and I’ll keep watching. But it seems bizarre to me that someone looking to adapt the original thought to miss the point so totally in their big, theme-setting opening scene.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You mean one that shows their incredibly bad at their jobs?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

You are a bad person if you like this
what if you like bad movies and tv shows

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Just finished up. Decent over all, the cast was good and the effects and location work do a respectable job for their budget. The biggest problem was all the lame lines and personality they dumped on Faye. Not sure who thought that was a good idea. Overall though, it adapts everything well enough. Even Ed. Having read all the bad hub hub about Ed earlier, I thought it was being hinted at that Gren would be a reworked Ed somehow as a final dumb reveal, glad that was just me making the wrong conclusions. For me, Ed’s appearance at the end works for them. Within the context of the show and finale, it comes off a whole lot better for whatever reason than the clip does as a stand alone thing.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

The United States posted:

what if you like bad movies and tv shows

You need to tell the difference between Mexican cola and regular

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Comrade Fakename posted:

Having caught a bounty, in the past, off screen, is not “catching a bounty in the first episode”. Of course they sometimes catch bounties - they do it in the show just enough for it to be plausible that they can make a living doing it. But Cowboy Bebop is not a show about cool guys who catch criminals, it’s a show about cool guys who usually fail to do that. It’s a subversion of the format - it’s fundamentally a police procedural where our heroes investigate and then hunt down a criminal. But they don’t catch them because this is a show about how life doesn’t work like that, it’s messy and dumb luck can screw you over time and again.

I’m not complaining too much. The live-action show is okay, the first episode at least, and I’ll keep watching. But it seems bizarre to me that someone looking to adapt the original thought to miss the point so totally in their big, theme-setting opening scene.

They literally just showed the scene mentioned at the start of the anime. And even when it does go "right", it's still a failure. It's not missing the point at all - they're just underscoring the other point (which the bad guy shouts very loudly) of corporations and the privatisation of police functions to space cowboys.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Just rewatched the og series and drat, this one is bad. Really, what a waste, since the effects are decent.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Comrade Fakename posted:

Man, what show was that? I just watched the first episode of the new Cowboy Bebop, by contrast, and they nailed what you said. The opening scene was all about how they're a couple of cool badasses in a fight, but their awful judgement and worse luck leaves them spinning their wheels and flat broke despite where their skills should have them on paper.

It's not much of a format subversion though. Even in the 1998 Bebop, bounty hunters/detectives/treasure hunters/mercenaries/etc that were skilled but terrible at making a living was a well-worn genre, to the point where ever landing a big score would have been more surprising.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

Just finished up. Decent over all, the cast was good and the effects and location work do a respectable job for their budget. The biggest problem was all the lame lines and personality they dumped on Faye. Not sure who thought that was a good idea. Overall though, it adapts everything well enough. Even Ed. Having read all the bad hub hub about Ed earlier, I thought it was being hinted at that Gren would be a reworked Ed somehow as a final dumb reveal, glad that was just me making the wrong conclusions. For me, Ed’s appearance at the end works for them. Within the context of the show and finale, it comes off a whole lot better for whatever reason than the clip does as a stand alone thing.

Any idea who played Ed at the end out of curiosity? Also unless the actress is a contortionist or something I’m not sure if the flexibility of said character is going to translate that well into live action.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

so far in the first few episodes, it mainly feels like a nonoffensive novelty. its at its best when it is slavishly attempting to recreate the original and at its worse when its trying to punch things up. its exactly the sort of thing most people will forget exists a few months after its axed

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

The opening scene of a show, or movie, is a mission statement, and an introduction to the characters. This shows that we’ll get stylish action, irreverent dialogue, and our characters are cool, good at fighting, bicker a lot, and get their man (even if inlater scenes they temper that victory somewhat).That last one is just weird in the context of the original.

Hey, that sounds familiar. Wonder where I've seen an opening scene like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-4ImAf6qYk

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched Cowboy Bebop for the first time in 2019, so it feels like I've got to wait longer before watching the live-action version to let it age in my head.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1461605412403388417

The Internet hates this GIF, but I had the same impression of the anime version when I first watched it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Squinty posted:

Hey, that sounds familiar. Wonder where I've seen an opening scene like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-4ImAf6qYk

Eewwwww a dub my ears