Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Charlotte got a big finance sector huh? That's neat. Or not neat but rather something I've never heard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

Charlotte got a big finance sector huh? That's neat. Or not neat but rather something I've never heard of

I dunno, so I heard. It definitely fits the lifestyle of aging finance charlatans better than Chicago, where the poor aren't quite so servile.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Charlott has elon , basicly one of the best finishing school for aristocrats i think.

Femur has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Nov 19, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Milo and POTUS posted:

Charlotte is the second largest banking city in the us, ahead of Chicago and San Francisco

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've been buying extra flour and canned poo poo every time I shop since the end of August. Not hoarder quanties at once, just more than we'll burn through before next shopping. Flour will last about 2 years in freezer conditions.

Seal it in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers to last a decade

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

petit choux posted:

Yeah cute but that dependency on two points is absurd. Looks fun but no.

why would you put some cables to support that

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cold on a Cob posted:

“Even the experts were just completely surprised by it,” said [BC Premier John] Horgan. “I think all British Columbians fully understand that now we have to better prepare for events like this. But we couldn’t have even imagined it six months ago.”

gently caress i think i'm having a stroke lol

no one will ever prepare for anything because anything we haven't already experienced is unimaginable

doesn't matter how perfect the models are, even the most "climate-ready" governments will always be ten steps behind because it's way too costly to prepare for actual worst-case scenarios

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

lollontee posted:

why would you put some cables to support that

More it's Core Neal yes eh sure. Next question.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Maybe I didn't express myself well. I'm not saying you withhold information from him (since he's asking for it). I'm saying that you give him a chance to think again about whether he really wants to know. If what he knows now is mostly what he's absorbed from mainstream media and pop culture then he likely has no idea just how grim it is. He's probably still in the mindset of 2c by 2100 and that with a little pluck and gumption we'll be able to overcome it.

I've had 20 odd years to slowly acclimatize to that fact that we're hopelessly hosed and it's still hard to know.

Well I'm not an innocent here or anything, regardless that I do take a somewhat gentle approach (despite appearances?). Really he's part of a group of friends of mine who are remarkably skeptical of climate change. This is not a group where anyone holds themselves back in terms of espousing and defending their views on any given topic. Nor will any of them be particularly gentle in their approach (not rude but conviction is expected). I've only broached the topic when it's come up but I didn't make my personal timeline or how dire the situation is a secret. Mostly no one has pressed me but recently some mild denialism came up which I, of course, quickly moved to quash. His request happened following a discussion with someone else which he was party to, an argument in which really I just laid out a case and in no way crack-pinged anyone. But I did maintain throughout the situation is one which cannot be remediated, so maybe my innocence ends there. I don't like pretending or self-censoring and probably they would all be upset if they found out I did.

I'm pressed to find an anti-natalist here who has made more long and passionate posts on the topic than me, but I sure as poo poo just say, "Congratulations! So happy for you! Wow they're beautiful!" rather than begin a lecture. Maybe this is different but only by a matter of degrees. Please seriously nobody be a black cloud in the lives of your family and friends. I think you should speak the truth but time and place and mindfulness are important, yes.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

no one will ever prepare for anything because anything we haven't already experienced is unimaginable

doesn't matter how perfect the models are, even the most "climate-ready" governments will always be ten steps behind because it's way too costly to prepare for actual worst-case scenarios

... which is exactly the argument used in one of the tweets quoted ITT a few weeks ago, IIRC. We couldn't prepare for this eventuality because it's never happened before.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1461772635889618945
rip big guys gonna miss you but gotta go fast

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Heh looks like they couldn't adapt fast enough. Survival of the fittest!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

a lot of good paper, framing, and beautiful lumber for mcmansion decks and pergolas just went up in smoke :(

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Looks like I chose the wrong decade to quit smoking weed

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

petit choux posted:

... which is exactly the argument used in one of the tweets quoted ITT a few weeks ago, IIRC. We couldn't prepare for this eventuality because it's never happened before.

yeah, normalcy bias clearly affects disaster planning as much as anything else

even worst-case scenarios need to fit within a relatively narrow range, and anything outside of that range has to be viewed as extremely improbable and not worth more than hypothetical consideration

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm only hoarding sugar free red bull, which oddly enough has gone down in price lately

For some reason I can't find sugar free drinks in Ireland, or at least there's less of them. I assume the sugar alternative they use is in low supply due to brexit/logisitics problems.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

yeah, normalcy bias clearly affects disaster planning as much as anything else

even worst-case scenarios need to fit within a relatively narrow range, and anything outside of that range has to be viewed as extremely improbable and not worth more than hypothetical consideration

Tell generals that they should not plan for less likely eventualities in order to to cut costs.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Marenghi posted:

For some reason I can't find sugar free drinks in Ireland, or at least there's less of them. I assume the sugar alternative they use is in low supply due to brexit/logisitics problems.

during covid for like 6 months i didn't see a single sugar free soda in the grocery stores, then suddenly they all came back. it was weird.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Fireside Nut posted:

Thanks so much! I’ll give this a look :cheers:
You probably figured this out, but it's 'grundfos', not 'gruñidos'.

The Demilich posted:

Do you have a list of the tech/tools you utilize?
I posted a bit in the older thread:
To summarize:
  1. Scaled systems – everything is designed to serve 8-12 people; many of these techniques are un-economical for a single family home, and easily provide sufficient power/ amenities for larger groups
  2. Building Design
    1. Minimize surface area by building multiple adjoining bedrooms around a shared living room & utility closet.
    2. Passive solar design
    3. Roof-mounted solar thermal panels to heat water/ the house
      1. ‘Batch collectors’ for direct heating of air and indirect heating of water via propylene glycol (‘PG’)
      2. Air/ PG moved via daylight-drive DC air blower and ‘el sid’ pump, respectively.
      3. Air forced through layer of crushed rock underneath the house, providing radiant heating in the winter.
    4. Thick insulation over pre-existing or purpose-built stick-frame structure (eg., 18 inches of straw bale around all walls and dug 2ft into the ground; finished with ‘stucco-crete’ (containing ‘Type E’ mortar & cement))
  3. Direct Drive/ DC Microgrid
    1. 180-volt solar array directly powers various DC devices
    2. Nominal 180V motors will function in practice at anywhere from 50-250V.
    3. Multiple devices can be run simultaneously, eg., 4000W running simultaneously on a 1400W array, with no damage to the motors
    4. (Similarly, can also run an array at 90V to operate tools/ appliances designed for 110/120V systems)
    5. Both DC brush motors and ‘universal’ (eg., AC/DC) motors run just fine in this way
    6. For refrigeration, we use a Sundanzer solar direct drive refrigerator, with sufficient insulation to remain cool (or frozen; can be operated as fridge/freezer) while only powered during daylight hours.
  4. Errata:
    1. For lighting at night/ small electronics, we have a 100Ah, 12V Nickel-Iron battery array.
    2. Home-made Direct Drive solar ovens (‘Insulated Solar Electric Cooker’), insulated with rock wool and using nichrome wire as a heating element. Based on original designs by Pete Schwartz at Cal Poly
    3. To supplement the solar electric cookers, we have a biogas digester connected to a single burner, and a ‘rocket stove’ for use as needed.
    4. Composting toilets, low-till ag., etc.

I'm happy to expand on any of these topics.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield/status/1461094925748031496

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Rectal Death Adept posted:

abruptly losing the concept of "Cold" seems like one of those things we are going to let take us by surprise as a society despite it being perfectly obvious now that once we store enough energy we just won't have Ice or Winters anymore.

Too bad all of our policy and discourse is extremely focused on raw carbon emission modeling and the most crude understanding of +Carbon/+Temperature.

Have YOU ever witnessed this so called "Artic"?

this isn't really how our understanding of GCC works. places that get cold will get colder. their summers will be hotter. essentially everything will be extremefied, like 2005.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tabletops posted:

this isn't really how our understanding of GCC works. places that get cold will get colder. their summers will be hotter. essentially everything will be extremefied, like 2005.

To wit, yesterday I was standing on my porch in a tanktop. Today I was standing on my porch in a thick sweater.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

is there a super straightforward, baby level data dashboard?

like I just want to see stuff like live line graphs of GHG emissions and expected temperature rise by 2050.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ornery and Hornery posted:

like I just want to see stuff like live line graphs of GHG emissions and expected temperature rise by 2050.

i don't think you'll find any "live" graphs that aren't just extrapolations based on projections. They also are not accurate, as all ghg emissions estimates are based on reported stats. IE, fudged and made up numbers.

you can find all the data your talking about in very unanimated, ipcc reports though.

edit: this is what i found in 2 seconds of googling https://www.c40knowledgehub.org/s/article/C40-cities-greenhouse-gas-emissions-interactive-dashboard?language=en_US

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

NOAA publishes all their data and modeling runs online, I am not familar with this maze of websites but I'd start here

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

wait is illegal deforestation being halted or legal.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
The Guardian with some decent crack ping material

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/18/moral-case-destroying-fossil-fuel-infrastructure

quote:

For every day that passes, this conclusion receives further confirmation: the ruling classes of this world are constitutionally incapable of responding to the catastrophe in any other way than by expediting it. Unfortunately, COP26 did not produce any compelling reasons to revise that conclusion. Less than a week after the end of the summit, the Biden administration held the largest federal offshore drilling auction in US history.

There is little to suggest that any other government signing the Glasgow Pact will behave differently.

So what do we do?

We could destroy the machines that destroy this planet. If someone has planted a time bomb in your home, you are entitled to dismantle it. More to the point, if someone has placed an incendiary device inside the high-rise building where you live, and if the foundations are already on fire and people are dying in the cellars, then many would believe that you have an obligation to put the device out of action.

This is the moral case which, I would argue, justifies destroying fossil fuel property. That is completely separate from harming human bodies, for which there is no moral case.

And this particular moral case for direct action is, I believe, overwhelmingly strong, if the realities of the climate catastrophe are recognised. On that premise, how could the physical integrity of fossil fuel property possibly be given precedence? Boris Johnson recently made what might generously be interpreted as an attempt to do so, when he defended the Cambo oilfield, one in the endless series of fresh investments in fossil fuel infrastructure of the kind we just can’t live with: “we can’t just tear up contracts”, he said.

In this view, a contract with an entrepreneur for augmenting the device sending the flames ever higher must be honoured. It takes priority over any other concern. Just why it should have that sanctity, however, seems to me exceedingly difficult to tell.

In the meantime, we can observe that slowing down the climate catastrophe means, by definition, the destruction of fossil capital: there can be no more profiting from fossil fuels. And if governments are incapable of initiating this work, because they take their orders from the top floors, then others should do so. Not because activists can accomplish the abolition of fossil fuels – only states have that potential – but because their role is to ratchet up the pressure for it.

So could the climate movement in the global north achieve its goals by sending cadres or crowds to actually tear machines apart? An unassailable ethical imperative does not necessarily translate into efficacious action. We have received this lesson from the highways of the UK, where the main achievement of Insulate Britain has been rising fury from working-class people on the way to their jobs.

We are deep into the catastrophe; the hour is late, but the escalation has only just begun. We don’t know what exactly will work. The one thing we can be certain of is this: we are in a death spiral, we have to break out of it, and we must try something more. The days of gentle protest may be long over.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tabletops posted:

Places that get cold will get colder and weather will be extremified

Until the amount of carbon and heat reaches a critical point which flips us from a planet that has ice to one that doesn't, like the Late Cretaceous Earth.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

draw a line that goes more or less straight across and then suddenly shoots almost straight up, and another that does the same except it shoots nearly straight down

label the down line something like ‘trees’ and the up line ‘plastic food’ and you’ve basically got it

if you wait a day or two somebody will post a version of your chart based on actual data but the only difference will be that your version is more optimistic

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Places that get cold will get colder and weather will be extremified

Until the amount of carbon and heat reaches a critical point which flips us from a planet that has ice to one that doesn't, like the Late Cretaceous Earth.

well yeah, with runaway warming and co2ppm of 900+, that will eventually be the reality. though there will still be terrestrial glaciers, just very little (high altitude) or no sea ice. Possibly ephemeral ice sheets we don't really know.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
name one thing ice ever did for me

you can't

gently caress ice

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

first episode gave me heart palpitations

the last is like distilled D&D liberal fantasy

hahah yeah it is good TV but it is also "Russell T Davies" as gently caress which means ultimately it is about the family's dynamic, a big emotional ending, and individual actions that work

the C-SPAM climax of the series is probably in ep 4 when the Son character drowns on a refugee raft in the English Channel in an effort to bring his boyfriend home

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

name one thing ice ever did for me

you can't

gently caress ice

abolish ice!

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

abolish ice!

Sorry, I know, I'm already trying to waste as hard as I can

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

please note that policy makers summaries, and ipcc chapter conclusions/abstracts in general are extremely conservative as to 'not make policy people dismiss them outright'

i actually got to talk to one of the lead authors for the IPCC 5th report (dennis hartman), asked him basically that: why does the IPCC continue to downplay the severity when it doesn't seem to effect perception

he said they're basically chained by government purses to not "create panic" or promote dangerous ideology, not just from NOAA of course. Germany is the second biggest contributor to ipcc money.

he seemed really sad and very candid when talking about it

Tabletops has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Nov 20, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the IPCC reports are also a scale of scientific endeavor we've never done before, the fact its conclusions are as damning as they are in such a short span of time, while going against the ideological grain in fundamental ways, is quite amazing.

and honestly they bury the lede more than they even downplay the reality.

like random tidbids the ipcc reports say buried deep in there:

*there is absolutely no historical comparison to the speed and scale of societal transformation required to ensure our societies survive

*if we fail to transform our society so quickly and completely, our existing is unlikely to survive the stress

*the future of 2050 will be unrecognizable

*One of the most optimistic scenarios possible is that a massive near-turn heat wave kills a bunch of wealthy people and that scares the powerful into actually acting

*Another of the most optimistic scenarios is maybe we hit a 7-7-7 jackpot on volcanoes and delay things for 10-20 years

*Losing Miami in the next 20 years is an example of a believable outcome without that aforementioned complete societal transformation

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Trabisnikof posted:

the IPCC reports are also a scale of scientific endeavor we've never done before, the fact its conclusions are as damning as they are in such a short span of time, while going against the ideological grain in fundamental ways, is quite amazing.

and honestly they bury the lede more than they even downplay the reality.

like random tidbids the ipcc reports say buried deep in there:

*there is absolutely no historical comparison to the speed and scale of societal transformation required to ensure our societies survive

*if we fail to transform our society so quickly and completely, our existing is unlikely to survive the stress

*the future of 2050 will be unrecognizable

*One of the most optimistic scenarios possible is that a massive near-turn heat wave kills a bunch of wealthy people and that scares the powerful into actually acting

*Another of the most optimistic scenarios is maybe we hit a 7-7-7 jackpot on volcanoes and delay things for 10-20 years

*Losing Miami in the next 20 years is an example of a believable outcome without that aforementioned complete societal transformation

yes the reality of the situation is in the ipcc if one actually reads the constituent papers referenced. the report(s) themselves are essentially meta-analysis of thousands of works across every aspect of climate science. it really is pretty monumental, but the reporting portion is basically a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Long term C02, temp, sea level. The red oval highlights the most recent increases in CO2. See the correlations and guess what the expected outcome is.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/1-Global-mean-sea-level-temperature-and-CO2-concentrations-showing-several_fig7_330502155

Projected warming scenarios were covered in a previous post. Note that none of them include feedbacks in the modelling.

Climate Dashboards
https://climate.metoffice.cloud/dashboard.html
https://www.climatelevels.org/?pid=2degreesinstitute&theme=grid-light
https://gml.noaa.gov/ccgg/trends/graph.html

"Planetary Dashboard". There's a lot more to the world than CO2/climate.
http://www.igbp.net/images/18.950c2fa1495db7081eba4/1421318144335/great_accel-12graph-SE.png
http://www.igbp.net/images/18.950c2fa1495db7081eba2/1421318143401/great_accel-12graph-ES.png

Sea ice
https://twitter.com/zlabe