Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

Having caught a bounty, in the past, off screen, is not “catching a bounty in the first episode”. Of course they sometimes catch bounties - they do it in the show just enough for it to be plausible that they can make a living doing it. But Cowboy Bebop is not a show about cool guys who catch criminals, it’s a show about cool guys who usually fail to do that. It’s a subversion of the format - it’s fundamentally a police procedural where our heroes investigate and then hunt down a criminal. But they don’t catch them because this is a show about how life doesn’t work like that, it’s messy and dumb luck can screw you over time and again.

I’m not complaining too much. The live-action show is okay, the first episode at least, and I’ll keep watching. But it seems bizarre to me that someone looking to adapt the original thought to miss the point so totally in their big, theme-setting opening scene.

I thought it started off just like Knockin on Heavens Door with them still failing with the bounty in the first axrual episode being combined with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Squinty posted:

Hey, that sounds familiar. Wonder where I've seen an opening scene like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-4ImAf6qYk

I keep getting beaten due to popping in on my phone haha.

I just often get confused as to what people are watching when I read comments on the Internet. Like a lot of head canon pops in everywhere.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

i genuinely think people who can sit and watch this and think it's anything less than pure dogshit have had their brains dug out with spoons a long time ago

quote:

You are a bad person if you like this

People can like things you don't and that's fine. These statements are like fart noises. Fair if it made you feel that way, but you can tone down the edginess, this isn't a competition.

Two eps in, think it's alright so far. Agree with this sentiment:

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1461864832899158026

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The World Inferno posted:

People can like things you don't and that's fine. These statements are like fart noises. Fair if it made you feel that way, but you can tone down the edginess, this isn't a competition.

Two eps in, think it's alright so far. Agree with this sentiment:

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1461864832899158026

I mean, I dunno what they’re expecting. A TV show isn’t an anime.

This is the same discussion that happens with every adaptation. Something is different (e.g. Spike isn’t young) and it’s “bad”, when in reality it’s neutral and what actually matters is whether you pull it off or not.

I haven’t seen either the original or this show, but from what I’m hearing it’s not (entirely?) a matter of bad adaptation, but so-so execution.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, I dunno what they’re expecting. A TV show isn’t an anime.

This is the same discussion that happens with every adaptation. Something is different (e.g. Spike isn’t young) and it’s “bad”, when in reality it’s neutral and what actually matters is whether you pull it off or not.

I haven’t seen either the original or this show, but from what I’m hearing it’s not (entirely?) a matter of bad adaptation, but so-so execution.

Yeah, people are whining about differences and basing things on clips where on its own, it's just extremely ok.

I'm glad Jurassic Park taught me not to care about adaptation fidelity when I was a kid. Ever since then I've barely cared and actually prefer when things are hugely different. Starship Troopers cemented it for me.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The comparison is unavoidable given it's a remake, but I think his point is more the spirit of the choreography. The way he's moving in the anime conveys a lot – that he's toying with the guy and as he wrote, reckless. The action in the show doesn't convey that anywhere near as well, which is a shame.

Darko posted:

Yeah, people are whining about differences and basing things on clips where on its own, it's just extremely ok.

Agree with this. It's fun to talk about tho, sans the hyperbolic folk.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 20, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

You need to tell the difference between Mexican cola and regular
Mexican cola has cane sugar

Koirhor posted:

Eewwwww a dub my ears
Dub's good

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Well, I just watched the first ep after bracing myself for garbage… and I loved it? I think it treats the material with a sense of fun and campiness. Sure, some of the dialogue is lame in a vacuum (all the silly shitball juvenile stuff), but taken as just part of a whole it’s fine. I even like the slower pacing since I just love looking around at all the work put into recreating the sets and props from the anime.

And the Vicious/Julia stuff so far just makes me crack up as I’m watching it since he was always a lame Sephiroth-wannabe dweeb in the original anyway.

I think I might just have a high tolerance for cheap tv after watching almost all of the CW Arrowverse. If it doesn’t hit the lows of some of the bad Arrow seasons then I think it’ll be enjoyable.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 20, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JazzFlight posted:

And the Vincent/Julia stuff so far just makes me crack up as I’m watching it since he was always a lame Sephiroth-wannabe dweeb in the original anyway.

Yeah I don't know who wanted more Vicious but whatever. I appreciate they at least made it clear that his Anime Edgelord thing is a put-on he does around subordinates.

My thoughts after three eps: it's fine. I appreciate it's not slavishly re-creating the anime like the preview material made it seem. Jet is great. Spike is better than the previews made it look. Faye has only been in it briefly so far but again, not as bad as the previews made her seem.

It is dumb, but the original was also pretty dumb and I still think the flavor of dumb is the same. The style is well done and I'm enjoying just pausing scenes and looking around at the sets.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
This didn't need to exist, but it does, so if you can find some fun with it I'm glad for others that watch it. I did find it amusing how I didn't think any choice they made was good. Like any of it. Literally every decision they made was wrong. Giant neon sign of that was more Vicious. Nobody needs more Vicious. The entire overarching plot of the anime [Rather than the emotional core the characters actually go through] could be "Nobody needs more Vicious in their life". And yet here I am, stuck with more Vicious. God drat it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The marvel cinematic universe has done so much damage

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This is such absolute loving garbage compared to the original in every way.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Xibanya posted:

watched it.
It’s really not as horrible as everyone is saying. It’s obviously not as good as the anime but it’s fine compared with other live action shows currently on offer.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mulva posted:

This didn't need to exist, but it does, so if you can find some fun with it I'm glad for others that watch it. I did find it amusing how I didn't think any choice they made was good. Like any of it. Literally every decision they made was wrong.
The casting and not replacing all the music with CW-tier music I guess?

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

feetnotes posted:

Does Faye sound like an early-2000s Hot Topic t shirt through the whole show?

“If you CHEESE DICKS don’t get your rear end FARTING BALLS in the FARTMOBILE right now, i’m gonna poo poo in your FUCKFACE”

Jet: “drat, who fart in her rear end???”

This sounds exactly like Deb from Dexter

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I don't know who wanted more Vicious but whatever. I appreciate they at least made it clear that his Anime Edgelord thing is a put-on he does around subordinates.

Mulva posted:

This didn't need to exist, but it does, so if you can find some fun with it I'm glad for others that watch it. I did find it amusing how I didn't think any choice they made was good. Like any of it. Literally every decision they made was wrong. Giant neon sign of that was more Vicious. Nobody needs more Vicious. The entire overarching plot of the anime [Rather than the emotional core the characters actually go through] could be "Nobody needs more Vicious in their life". And yet here I am, stuck with more Vicious. God drat it.

that was the first thing that jumped at me when i read the summary of this garbage. apparently every episode, or most of them, find some way to try to connect their poor adaptation of a good "filler" episode of cowboy bebop and shove vicious in. next season their gonna adapt the episode w/ the monsters at the ship but theyll add that it was vicious that hired someone to put something in their fridge

edit: or i guess itll be julia doing that now Lol

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
This is a legitimate loving tragedy. Six episodes in there is no hope for redemption.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Darko posted:

I'm glad Jurassic Park taught me not to care about adaptation fidelity when I was a kid. Ever since then I've barely cared and actually prefer when things are hugely different. Starship Troopers cemented it for me.

What did it for me was Misery. The book was all internal perspective/monologue and hallucination, the movie was completely different because the medium demanded it.

For me the main thing is that I want it to be different, I want a new experience. There's no point just rewatching the original only reskinned. There's no adaptation that would make me 22 years younger and seeing it for the first time, I'm not gonna cry because this one doesn't.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
I’ve been enjoying it. But also I don’t really remember the anime so I guess without that comparison maybe my bar is set lower. Idk.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

This is...unspeakably bad. Top to bottom unlovable. Terribly produced, terribly shot, terribly paced, probably terribly cast, but that's hard to assess, because it's also so terribly written that there is no one alive who could salvage the dialogue. Got two and a half episodes in and then I bailed. Drown this poo poo in the bathtub.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
You know what, I will say that Jet and Spike’s casting is pretty good, but man a lot of the script is just not salvageable. Faye hasn’t shown up again where I’m at but she had a lot of weird “time to loving go dicktits” juvenile energy that I am not really here for.

I don’t hate it so far but for the love of god show, please please please stop showing me Vicious I beg of you

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I know Alex Hassell is a handsome man irl, but something about the hair + his facial expressions is making him look goofy as hell as Vicious. He's reminding me of Patrick Fischler in Mulholland Drive and it's messing with me:

e: actually that dude's aged into a silver fox so it's even more fitting!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1461862490976002049

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Started watching it and 20 minutes in I hated it. Then I ended up binging the entire season because I genuinely liked it. They’re just fun characters! And the setting is neat. When I speak about comparisons, I am only referring to the anime and not the manga.

faye is def different, but she’s more interesting at least. She’s kind of annoying at times, but she grew on me. In fact, spike and jet both grew on me as characters. Spike started off kinda whiny and snarky, jet was a bit too overbearing and Faye was annoying and clearly the comic relief character, but the show was fun! I didn’t particularly like the vicious character, but then again vicious in the anime isn’t a particularly exciting villain.

I did have two cringe moments, both in the last episode. First when Faye says her classic line “welcome to the ouch” and when they introduced Ed, which felt very forced. Maybe Ed’s character doesn’t translate super well to live action without coming off immediately as grating. Other than that, I thought the show was very enjoyable. The strengths of cowboy bebop for me are the character roles and the setting. The story itself is fine but you’re mostly in it to see how the characters go from A to B. This had that as well, with more tuning for a typical audience. A normal person who isn’t into anime and has no reference point will watch this and probably enjoy it. It’s a neat and unique setting, with mostly enjoyable characters in fun situations.

I recommend it! It’s corny fun and I found it hard to put down today.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
In a cinematic medium, having characters discuss something having happened versus showing it on screen can create huge differences in meaning. Just because two stories hit the same beats in their wikipedia summaries doesn't make them the same work of televisual art. Not gonna bother to weigh in on the object level, but having two characters banter about their self-sabotage over dinner sets the stage for a far different show than one where the self-sabotage is shown in sexy detail.

Not interested in a object-level comparison since I've yet to feel moved enough to watch netboy flixbop but this choice to start with the action instead of the slower character beat does, in cinematic language, say something new

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a way to pay Yoko Kanno to keep expanding the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack after the show ends

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Martman posted:

I know Alex Hassell is a handsome man irl, but something about the hair + his facial expressions is making him look goofy as hell as Vicious. He's reminding me of Patrick Fischler in Mulholland Drive and it's messing with me:

e: actually that dude's aged into a silver fox so it's even more fitting!

The hair makes him look unbelievably dumb. He’s somewhere between a cosplay convention Geralt of Rivia and a cosplay convention Vergil from DMC.

The attempt to give everything a throughline is the biggest failure of things so far. Multiple episodes I’ve seen now have felt completely wasted because they make whatever they’re adapting feel like a B plot to the boring syndicate stuff

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I only watched the first one but this is a CATS level disaster, just completely embarrassing all around. Hearing all this great iconic music I love playing over the funnyordie.com "Cowboy Bebop Live Action" skit is just killing me

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Watched the first two and did not like it. I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate it and that it's a disaster, but it's just sort of a big disappointment and I don't really have any interest in continuing. If I didn't know anything about the source material then I might think this was an okay/average show that I could binge and forget about 2-3 days later. It just made me want to re-watch the anime to be honest.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

robot roll call posted:

I only watched the first one but this is a CATS level disaster, just completely embarrassing all around.

I get I'm chomping at the bit at these kind of posts, but legit want you to go into more detail. Cause statements like this are bewildering to me, as someone who has seen CATS a few times and enjoys it as a 'bad film'. At worst so far, this is like a competent sci-fi action show. I can see laughing at the over-the-top Vicious scenes, but first few eps seem plenty good.

With CATS you have people running around pretending to be cats, you have Rebel Wilson eating cockroaches, CGI that changes their sizes throughout, inconsistencies in the cat costumes, James Cordon, etc. Fun to mock because it's a bunch of cats that want to die real bad and it actually tries to take that seriously. Also James Cordon.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It just made me want to re-watch the anime to be honest.

Fair and this ain't a bad idea. Holds up!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I guess I'm uncivilized and an awful person, but really really enjoyed it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

The World Inferno posted:

With CATS you have people running around pretending to be cats, you have Rebel Wilson eating cockroaches, CGI that changes their sizes throughout, inconsistencies in the cat costumes, James Cordon, etc. Fun to mock because it's a bunch of cats that want to die real bad and it actually tries to take that seriously. Also James Cordon.

Much like CATS has people running around pretending to be cats, this show has people running around pretending to be Cowboy Bebop. Watching these anemically choreographed fight scenes with sick Yoko Kanno music playing over them just hits the 'parody' buttons in my brain and I can not take this show seriously in any way

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I watched the second episode and I will say some of the original stuff was not bad. The expanded Julia/Vicious stuff is terrible and neither of those characters needed one more second of screentime than they had in the original. The one main positive of this so far is Mustafa Shakir as Jet, he is absolutely spot on. I think John Cho has a handle on Spike but the writers don't.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BiggestBatman posted:

In a cinematic medium, having characters discuss something having happened versus showing it on screen can create huge differences in meaning. Just because two stories hit the same beats in their wikipedia summaries doesn't make them the same work of televisual art. Not gonna bother to weigh in on the object level, but having two characters banter about their self-sabotage over dinner sets the stage for a far different show than one where the self-sabotage is shown in sexy detail.

Not interested in a object-level comparison since I've yet to feel moved enough to watch netboy flixbop but this choice to start with the action instead of the slower character beat does, in cinematic language, say something new

One thing that struck me in the establishment of the scene was that opening with the action scene really was set up to tell a lot about Jet and Spike's work dynamic, their attitude toward the bounty, and of course the corporatized nature of the setting. Also it was a sorta gradual tease in of the whole mix of run-down 20th century skins on high tech environments. Guys with familiar 20th century guns having it out in a slightly out of date looking casino, until someone walks in with a disruptor cannon, shoots a hole in the side of the space station, and nearly gets them all ejected into vacuum. All the while, the crooks are weirdos and losers and the bounty hunters are a dysfunctional squabbling partnership even despite being entirely competent at a lot of things. It set the tone for a lot of what the setting is and the mix this version of it is focusing on.

There's definitely room for varying opinions about the dialogue and camera work, but the storytelling purpose of the scene itself said something new, but in a deliberate way that didn't fundamentally change the nature of the characters or story. One thing I expect moving forward (only seen the first episode) is a lot of decisions to be made differently just because of a longer running time. That could be good and bad; good because a lot of the anime plots were pretty skeletal due to short episodes, bad because it makes it easier to drag the pace. Funnily enough few of the "oh god this was worse than dogshit" reviews seem to have that as a specific complaint, so who knows what to expect.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I started episode 1 ready to hate it, and just finished season 1 and it’s fine? I think all the bad things have already been mentioned, but imo it’s one of the better anime adaptions. When I heard it was getting made, I thought “but why?”. When I saw the leaked trailer, I thought “BUT WHY?”. Now I just think “this is fine, I kinda enjoyed it”.

Basically my same reaction as to the GitS movie.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I'm maybe halfway through episode 3 and I like it. Random thoughts

They used Sin City-esque elements, which is divisive for a lot of people. There are some parts where they obviously wanted to recreate iconic shots from specific episodes, and it just doesn't work. Katerina floating in space with the redeye vials

For every weird live-action anime moment, there's at least 3 fantastic anime set piece moments. ACARI, space-camaros, the Mac II classic on the Bebop's console.

Its weird but understandable that they're fleshing out Vicious. Not to write a novel, but part of the experimental nature of the original series was that most of the episodes could be watched in any order. That format wouldn't work or be desirable for Netflix because they are sorta predicated on the Alias model of 44m of incidental plot and 14m of overarching plot feeding into bingeable seasons. They could've shot the moon and done the same thing here, but I'm assuming the shows creators wanted to tell a more complete story in case season 2 doesnt get picked up.

I'm not a Vicious apologist, so far what I've seen has been hot trash, like what happened to his jaw why is he forced to speak through his giant teeth.

At first I was like 'wtf is with this potty mouth poo poo', but really the first show would've done the same thing if they could've gotten away with it. As much as the show had some deep subject matter, it also had an entire episode with the main characters intoxicated on hallucinogenics. There's a dog that can hack any computer. The entire crew was once incapacitated by a fish-filet they unthawed. There was some extremely dumb poo poo that just sorta got handwaved by excellent animation and an incredible soundtrack, and seeing it in live action magnifies that. There's a bunch of buried dick and fart jokes in the 1st show and there would've been more if they made in 2021.

the soundtrack should be its own character and spin off to its own show

The action has been better than I expected. I read a lot of complaints about Spike-Cho being old or the action being slow but I don't see it. the fight in the church felt like it could've been taken directly from the original show

TraderStav posted:

I guess I'm uncivilized and an awful person, but really really enjoyed it.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 20, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Two eps in so far and I like it. Something that has stood out to me though that I don't see anyone discussing is how ruthless Spike is in this adaptation, I think we're already up to two straight up executions at this point?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Just had a huge poo poo. Got drunk and watched the first episode with a friend. My tldr review is this: either try to be the anime but meat people, or try to be it's own Marvel quipping Space Action show. Going back and forth between the two feels like a clunk every time.

If it was more it's own thing it'd be a 6/10 scifi tv show like Eureka or Devs with good music.

Still gonna watch it for the music.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The one thing I really enjoyed from the show is episode 9, which is for the most part a flashback episode.

And it's painful because while I feel like they just outright dropped the ball and clearly didn't have a budget for the show itself, I really enjoyed episode 9. Cowboy Bebop told a lot of it's story with allusion and never giving the full picture. But I feel like if they did the backstory on Julia, Spike, and Vicious it could have ended up something like episode 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

And it's painful because while I feel like they just outright dropped the ball and clearly didn't have a budget for the show itself, I really enjoyed episode 9. Cowboy Bebop told a lot of it's story with allusion and never giving the full picture. But I feel like if they did the backstory on Julia, Spike, and Vicious it could have ended up something like episode 9.

No the anime had good writing.