Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-dogecoaster-iaapa-announcement-20211119-ggvz3ploqzdklb3p76mblboguy-story.html

quote:

Dogecoaster, billed as the world’s first cryptocurrency-based roller coaster, promises to take riders “to the moon” alongside their favorite memes in early 2022.

Announced this week at the IAAPA Expo in Orlando, the roller coaster’s lifts and drops will be based on the historically volatile performance of Dogecoin in the cryptocurrency market, its creator Dennis Voronin said. “To the moon” is a phrase used by investors when the price of a cryptocurrency skyrockets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRU9YpI7Ebw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

who let this troll in to the IAAPA expo??

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

you will forever hodl your peace

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if there's anything I trust libertarians with more it's engineering high elevation high velocity human conveyors

"i'm sorry your family died in the crash. Have you considered buying the dip? We're putting the coaster on an NFT!"

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

G4 is back! :woop: Yesterday they put on a content-packed hours-long show that felt very much like the old G4... until Kevin Pereira did a bit where he passionately defended NFT's honor from the haters and absolutely sucked the life out of the room:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1209314029?t=14407s

Watch the chat turn on him in real time.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I can see the practical use of NFTs maybe being used as a Certificate of Authenticity for various scenarios that require proof. For example, tying an NFT to a piece of physical art such that it keeps track of selling history of that particular piece of artwork since it's initial creation. You could look up the NFT (it should be in the public domain on a blockchain) and see the entire history of this piece of art work. Each "token" is a digital confirmation by both parties involved in the sell/buy process. I could see this helping with forgeries, and being on the blockchain keeps it away from any authority that could manipulate a centralized database where this information would traditionally be stored. Wouldn't this be a more practical use case rather than digital monkey art?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

hodd

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Weaponized Autism posted:

I can see the practical use of NFTs maybe being used as a Certificate of Authenticity for various scenarios that require proof. For example, tying an NFT to a piece of physical art such that it keeps track of selling history of that particular piece of artwork since it's initial creation. You could look up the NFT (it should be in the public domain on a blockchain) and see the entire history of this piece of art work. Each "token" is a digital confirmation by both parties involved in the sell/buy process. I could see this helping with forgeries, and being on the blockchain keeps it away from any authority that could manipulate a centralized database where this information would traditionally be stored. Wouldn't this be a more practical use case rather than digital monkey art?

More practical than monkey art? Depends if you look at practicality as a spectrum, or binary description. Both aren’t practical, but your idea is much less dumb.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's not the worst idea but I think the forgery proofing use case is already contraindicated by how many NFTs are already forgeries

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

“I can maybe see the use of NFTs in <this specific context>” is how they get you. There is no reason to think of the utility of it, the utility is established: money laundering

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Ok. How is any better than a centrally managed database?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

And how do you know a record on blockchain is actually backed by a physical piece of art? What prevents me from minting my own Mona Lisa in this scenario, selling it to myself for 50 million, and then dumping it to some idiot for only 20? It's just a database, it doesn't solve anything.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

El Jeffe posted:

G4 is back! :woop: Yesterday they put on a content-packed hours-long show that felt very much like the old G4... until Kevin Pereira did a bit where he passionately defended NFT's honor from the haters and absolutely sucked the life out of the room:

Dunno what G4 is but good to see chat hating on it so much they cancelled it. If your gonna defend NFTs atleast try to do it properly, not with nonsense "oh its scary and you lot don't understand it"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wow, I wish I sounded like Charlie Day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Excuse me, that would require that they be fungible and I think you'll find that they have "non-fungible" in the name.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

El Jeffe posted:

That was painful to watch.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How can an NFT as social currency "increase in value"? Is this literally letting people buy the good will earned by someone else?
ANd how is that different than just selling your account?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Paladinus posted:

And how do you know a record on blockchain is actually backed by a physical piece of art? What prevents me from minting my own Mona Lisa in this scenario, selling it to myself for 50 million, and then dumping it to some idiot for only 20? It's just a database, it doesn't solve anything.

Yeah that's a good point and we'd need some sort of verified identity system, so everyone would actually see "hey this guy created something and sold it to himself for $50 mil". But of course the problem with that is identities can be manipulated/made up/hacked.

jokes posted:

“I can maybe see the use of NFTs in <this specific context>” is how they get you. There is no reason to think of the utility of it, the utility is established: money laundering

Fair enough!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

HootTheOwl posted:

How can an NFT as social currency "increase in value"? Is this literally letting people buy the good will earned by someone else?
ANd how is that different than just selling your account?

It can increase in value by tricking a greater fool. Everything can increase in value in this way.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Can't wait until mechanics start putting repair logs on the chain, for efficiency.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Paper? Such a waste

*burns a forest to mint an NFT* here’s your digital receipt— secured, you see

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Any chain of custody on the blockchain would need to reference an authoritative nonblockchain source, so the value add of the blockchain is nothing.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Possible legitimate use of NFTs: figure out a way to encode and tokenize a picture of my butt on the blockchain. As speculators burn the forests and boil the seas in their race to maximally exploit my rear end, it steadily grows to consume the entire world, fulfilling the ancient prophecy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

El Jeffe posted:

That's hilarious.
Goes from zero to MLM ponzo seller mode in seconds.
He's also doubling down on Twitter right now, saying he intends to do more NFT project segments on the show in future.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

happyhippy posted:

That's hilarious.
Goes from zero to MLM ponzo seller mode in seconds.
He's also doubling down on Twitter right now, saying he intends to do more NFT project segments on the show in future.

Yep

https://twitter.com/Attack/status/1461565098384773120

He's even admitted that the segment that he was going to go into before being told to drop is a project he's already minted NFTs for.

https://twitter.com/Attack/status/1461763514649829377

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 19, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh, you think NFTs are stupid? Guess what, some idiot paid one million dollars for a knockoff pokemon!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Oh, you think NFTs are stupid? Guess what, some idiot paid one million dollars for a knockoff pokemon!

I think NTFs are stupid, and I wish I was selling people knockoff Pokémon pictures for a million dollars.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
That guy trying to pay off his bill with a picture of a spider was way ahead of the times

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lamebot posted:

That guy trying to pay off his bill with a picture of a spider was way ahead of the times

That spider? Now worth $15 million

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
I did it goons. I made an NFT. It isn't on a PoW chain though so hopefully I didn't burn down too many rainforests and it only cost me like a buck.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
But why, and what do you plan to do to offset the evil you have done?

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's my hedge against my evil:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

novamute posted:

I did it goons. I made an NFT. It isn't on a PoW chain though so hopefully I didn't burn down too many rainforests and it only cost me like a buck.

lemme see it i wanna do something with it

drk
Jan 16, 2005

novamute posted:

I did it goons. I made an NFT.

how does it feel to have poop on your hands

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

drk posted:

how does it feel to have poop on your hands

I just lived the last week as a janitor, and it feels gross.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I did it goons. I took a giant poo poo and held it in my hands. I didn't eat it though so hopefully I didn't catch too many diseases and it only cost me some soap.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

G4 was always terrible and NFTs feel like the natural profession of something their hosts would shill.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

El Jeffe posted:

Was this the same show where Xavier woods found out live and on the air that another ten of his coworkers got fired without warning or notice for “budget reasons” despite the company claiming record profits this year

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Detective No. 27 posted:

G4 was always terrible and NFTs feel like the natural profession of something their hosts would shill.

I dunno if Sessler is still involved be he turned out to be a transphobe so, you know. Good company.