Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/fox_sheldon/status/1461464712667930631

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mawarannahr posted:

that’s true, but there’s something extra about bmw people, like the same thing that makes people act like cokeheads while stone cold sober.

can confirm bmw'ers are easily the shittiest drivers

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
they could probably drive just fine if they felt like it but they have no interest in doing so. And as a society we basically lie down on our backs and let em do it. RIP Woon

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

didn't miami sign on for a musk loop lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

The car war is a class war, of course we should have known

Always has been

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Always has been

:hai:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vgfqV_htc

sorry for the preview img

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

zegermans posted:

didn't miami sign on for a musk loop lol

yes, but signing onto a musk loop is just signaling that you're pledging allegiance to the elite; not a serious commitment to actual transit

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Nov 19, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

500excf type r posted:

No, they are. Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc all driven by people that dont respect others as humans

it's true, I drive a used 2011 Audi station wagon that I've driven 20k miles in eight years

in my defense, literally no companies make station wagons in the US besides german luxury brands, and volvo (which is basically a luxury brand), because everyone is making "light truck" assault vehicles

your one non-german luxury option, starting at 46K lol

https://www.volvocars.com/us/v/cars/v60-cross-country

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Nov 19, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Honestly it doesn't even make sense to throw the book at these people. Harsher punishments won't suddenly make people better drivers. Being a "good" driver and expecting that to somehow contribute to safer roads is like being a "green" consumer and expecting that to end climate change.

It's a systems and infrastructure problem. The person in that article should never drive again but that also applies to millions of people who haven't killed anyone yet but roll the dice on a daily basis.

Alternatives have to be put into place and barriers to living car free have to be removed or mitigated.

One could argue that legal protection for drivers is a barrier to living without a car but I feel like focusing on individual responsibility moves the blame and focus away from those with the power to influence or block change.

yeah i dont think suddenly punishing drivers for killing people will have an immense and salutary effect on american driving habits i just think that negligently killing someone should have consequences

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

actionjackson posted:

it's true, I drive a used 2011 Audi station wagon that I've driven 20k miles in eight years

in my defense, literally no companies make station wagons in the US besides german luxury brands, and volvo (which is basically a luxury brand), because everyone is making "light truck" assault vehicles

car drivers forced to take the “German option” many such cases

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

soviets had the right idea: make cars so bad public transport is the only option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4iFUo20vEM

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/byBethRankin/status/1461432109612998662?s=20

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

another fun story from my neck of the woods, road rage is on the rise: https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/11/19/road-rage-incidents-on-the-rise-in-houston-area-officials-confirm/

i just love how matter of fact, gee whiz, what are ya gonna do oh well the tone of the article is.

quote:

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office reported 889 calls for service involving road rage in 2021. In 2020, there were 831.

One of the cases that made headlines across our area was the death of 17-year-old David Castro.

“It’s terrible. Every day sucks, and the holidays are coming up and there’s going to be an empty seat at the table,” said David’s father, Paul Castro.

Castro was shot in the head on his way home from an Astros game with his dad.

man that sucks, what do officials have to say about it

quote:

Teare said it’s unclear what’s causing the spike in cases, but believes the pandemic and number of guns on our streets could be playing a part.

“We’re in Texas, and in Texas, we love our guns. I think the fact that a lot of people in this country and in this community have firearms are going to contribute to when people lose their temper, and quite frankly, lose their mind on the road,” said Teare.

wow people get insanely violent and aggro when they're driving, oh well, let's keep building more roads

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

another fun story from my neck of the woods, road rage is on the rise: https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/11/19/road-rage-incidents-on-the-rise-in-houston-area-officials-confirm/

i just love how matter of fact, gee whiz, what are ya gonna do oh well the tone of the article is.

wow people get insanely violent and aggro when they're driving, oh well, let's keep building more roads

I was told that the proliferation of firearms discouraged gun violence

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

if you like your karst you can sink it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think I've got the e-bike brainworms. Wouldn't be surprised if I bought one in the next few months. Maybe if/when that pitiful tax credit program goes into effect.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

omg so cute :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I live right by a very bougie road (it's a river parkway essentially, behind me are all 800K+ houses), this dude has been there for a while doing a renovation on one of them

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I've got the e-bike brainworms. Wouldn't be surprised if I bought one in the next few months. Maybe if/when that pitiful tax credit program goes into effect.

:yeshaha:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, right? I just already own two bikes, plus my wife's two.. maybe if I sell my car...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, right? I just already own two bikes, plus my wife's two.. maybe if I sell my car...

how are you going to lock it up? seems like it's pretty much guaranteed to get stolen unless you get the folding kind you can bring with you everywhere

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

how are you going to lock it up? seems like it's pretty much guaranteed to get stolen unless you get the folding kind you can bring with you everywhere

I bring my bike inside at work, which would be the main use. And for shopping it would just be quick trips; we don't have a crazy bike theft problem here like some places, so I think it would be ok for a few minutes in daylight. It would be less secure if i took it to the bar at night, but I probably wouldn't do that anyway just because of all the drunk drivers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I live right by a very bougie road (it's a river parkway essentially, behind me are all 800K+ houses), this dude has been there for a while doing a renovation on one of them

Reminds me of one I used to drive along sometimes in Indy and it was always a crapshoot of distracted driving and randomly parked vehicles at the best of time

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Especially after rain when you'd get people swerving between lanes while they gawk at how high the water is

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

what’s the deal with bmw drivers? they’re like this everywhere. i don’t even drive yet it’s so noticeable. mercedes drivers aren’t like this. audi, maybe… smh

audi drivers are the most wreckless inhumane monsters that want to kill everyone to shave off 2 seconds and constantly smash their car into a krail and get daddy to replace it.

bmw drivers run the gamut. lotta used old bmw drivers are fine, lot of them just go slow and enjoy the scenary with a roof down or w/e, and others are self-obsessed speed freaks. i generally dont see many new bmws anymore.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

got in an argument with a lady who didn’t like it when I called her red audi with a personalized plate a borderline personality mobile in passing

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

pointsofdata posted:

if you try and talk to some people about this irl they look at you like you're mad.

It's true, I hate it

On the plus side they installed a traffic circle near here and it is a piece of beauty to watch in action during rush hour

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

actionjackson posted:

that's like 2 times the length and height of the work van that i'm driving

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

what’s the deal with bmw drivers? they’re like this everywhere. i don’t even drive yet it’s so noticeable. mercedes drivers aren’t like this. audi, maybe… smh

nobody that drives a BMW or Audi actually paid for it themselves

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

getting harder to ignore the parallels between gun culture and car culture

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Man Musk posted:

nobody that drives a BMW or Audi actually paid for it themselves

well poo poo i hosed up

i have a decent kill count tho

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

actionjackson posted:

well poo poo i hosed up

i have a decent kill count tho

sorry

it's the vehicle of choice for chosen sons and daughters the world over

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

us poors, we're onto u bmw & audi drivers, best watch out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

It's every luxury car driver, and also minivans. Whenever I am around one I get the fear.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

actionjackson posted:

Does Volkswagon count as a luxury brand? I have a 2020 VW Alltrak (last car wagon VW will make) I was also looking at the Volvo for my practical family car needs, but opted to go for a used one. Manual + AWD + wagon = hell yea. Just drove it from Chicago to Texas, it's good.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Does Volkswagon count as a luxury brand? I have a 2020 VW Alltrak (last car wagon VW will make) I was also looking at the Volvo for my practical family car needs, but opted to go for a used one. Manual + AWD + wagon = hell yea. Just drove it from Chicago to Texas, it's good.

no but they stopped selling new wagons in the US as of this year. the all track is cool

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

actionjackson posted:

no but they stopped selling new wagons in the US as of this year. the all track is cool
it's a car

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

No, you can actually work on a volkswagen without taking it into a shop and paying $1k+ for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
gently caress cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSvmnuHWjv4