Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

powderific posted:

After upgrading to a 13 pro, my phone no longer notifies me for text messages if the screen is off or dimmed, and it's not sending them to my watch either. The notification shows on the lock screen for the phone, not in the drawer for the watch. It's really weird. Calls and other notifications seem to work as expected. I turned imessage off and on, reset network settings, and double checked that notifications are enabled but nothing's worked so far. Once I reset network settings it started to vibrate for the incoming texts again if the phone's screen is on and it's unlocked, but not if it's off or dimmed. When it's dimmed the banner still drops down though.

Any ideas short of starting everything over?

edit: this is on 15.1 and was happening before the 15.1 upgrade too. I'm not sure when it started happening I just thought I was missing the notifications so it may have been since I got the phone.

Similar thing is happening to me but with Mail. Intermittently I'm not getting notifications for my mail (gmail). When I explicitly swipe down to check in the morning, I often get a slew of 10 ranging from the night before.

I've checked my notifications setting that it's on, and I checked my focus stuff and DnD, and those are both set to off. Not that it would matter because it should still fetch the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On mine I've narrowed it down to my apple watch somehow breaking message notifications. The notification behavior is that if you have a watch paired, notifications go there instead of the phone while the phone is locked. So I think my phone is acting like the watch is getting the notifications, but it's not.

After fully resetting the phone, I get text notifications as normal. If I pair the watch as a new watch, message notifications don't work anymore until I fully reset the phone again. Turning off or unpairing the watch doesn't fix it — only turning off bluetooth fully or resetting the phone. For whatever reason incoming calls seem to work fine.

It's super weird and I'm not sure what to try next other than just like... giving up either the watch or text notifications.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok the screen on the 13PM is really really good.

It’s like butter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

illcendiary posted:

I think the fact that it says specifically to consumers means that repair shops won’t have access, which makes sense for them. Provide consumers the option to repair themselves or go an Apple-approved route. Otherwise it’s a third party making money on a service they provide
Which is why it's a load of PR crock, and it seems to be working, considering the first replies to that one in this thread (and also reactions elsewhere).

Apple now conforms to the personal right to repair (which will likely be sufficient to appease politicians), but only a very slim minority of people has actually the skills and/or guts to do it, so it really doesn't mean much. If people start running to their nerd friend asking him to do it, he'll probably get barred from parts eventually, because he'll be deemed operating business-like, because he's ordering too much of the same parts within a certain timeframe.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Does anyone else find that embedded YouTube videos start playing really easily as you scroll down a page in the latest versions of Safari?

I am obviously touching somewhere on the video area, but that’s kind of hard to avoid since the videos are often the full width of the screen, and by proxy block a decent chunk of ‘thumb reachable’ area on many mobile optimised sites. Even better, some articles have multiple videos in one article now.

It seems they now scroll right into the timer bar on the first touch. So not only is my currently playing audio interrupted, but often the replacement audio is some over-excited screaming YouTuber…

I’m guessing there’s sweet FA I can do about this, but open to ideas or suggestions?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Which is why it's a load of PR crock, and it seems to be working, considering the first replies to that one in this thread (and also reactions elsewhere).

Apple now conforms to the personal right to repair (which will likely be sufficient to appease politicians), but only a very slim minority of people has actually the skills and/or guts to do it, so it really doesn't mean much. If people start running to their nerd friend asking him to do it, he'll probably get barred from parts eventually, because he'll be deemed operating business-like, because he's ordering too much of the same parts within a certain timeframe.

Fair enough and I don’t disagree. What if someone starts operating a “bring your own OEM components” shop, though? Provide customers instructions on how to obtain what they need, charge a fee to repair on their behalf with the caveat that they have to go the Apple route if it fails. Not sure if that’s legal, but could be a workaround. Though I completely grant that the average consumer will not want to jump through those hoops and that that sort of channel needing to exist sufficiently stifles competition.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Neurophonic posted:

Does anyone else find that embedded YouTube videos start playing really easily as you scroll down a page in the latest versions of Safari?

I am obviously touching somewhere on the video area, but that’s kind of hard to avoid since the videos are often the full width of the screen, and by proxy block a decent chunk of ‘thumb reachable’ area on many mobile optimised sites. Even better, some articles have multiple videos in one article now.

It seems they now scroll right into the timer bar on the first touch. So not only is my currently playing audio interrupted, but often the replacement audio is some over-excited screaming YouTuber…

I’m guessing there’s sweet FA I can do about this, but open to ideas or suggestions?

The iPhone Awful app had this problem. It's something to do with YouTube itself. They "fixed" the problem by changing the user-agent string to something besides Safari.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Got the iPhone 13 in finally to replace my 12P, only for the shellrus installation to suck loving rear end, then the protector hosed itself with a piece of dust that won't leave the protector adhesive side lol.

Definitely not mad.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

illcendiary posted:

Fair enough and I don’t disagree. What if someone starts operating a “bring your own OEM components” shop, though? Provide customers instructions on how to obtain what they need, charge a fee to repair on their behalf with the caveat that they have to go the Apple route if it fails. Not sure if that’s legal, but could be a workaround. Though I completely grant that the average consumer will not want to jump through those hoops and that that sort of channel needing to exist sufficiently stifles competition.

I was wondering this myself.
I see plenty of odd-job shops that do things like "Computer Assembly" or "IKEA Furniture Assembly" so I don't see this as any different.

What it does do is cut into the profits of the shops who prob make some on the parts as well as the labour. Also, if Apple makes the parts super expensive, then this might just be a compliance thing for Right to Repair. Time will tell, I'm sure this won't really go anywhere, but I still remain a tiny bit optimistic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I just upgraded to the 13 PM and is there a reason why double clicking the side button would no longer bring up my wallet? It worked fine on my 12 and the setting is toggled for it.

I’ve done a reboot and nada. I can go into the wallet and see the cards but nothing brings it up.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ijyt posted:

Got the iPhone 13 in finally to replace my 12P, only for the shellrus installation to suck loving rear end, then the protector hosed itself with a piece of dust that won't leave the protector adhesive side lol.

Definitely not mad.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

MarcusSA posted:

So I just upgraded to the 13 PM and is there a reason why double clicking the side button would no longer bring up my wallet? It worked fine on my 12 and the setting is toggled for it.

I’ve done a reboot and nada. I can go into the wallet and see the cards but nothing brings it up.
My only thought is whether the phone is unlocked? If locked, Wallet access while locked might be turned off in Face ID & Asscode settings.

ninja edit: leaving that typo right where it is

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fourwood posted:

My only thought is whether the phone is unlocked? If locked, Wallet access while locked might be turned off in Face ID & Asscode settings.

ninja edit: leaving that typo right where it is

Thanks I just checked there and it’s enabled. It also doesn’t work when the phone is locked or unlocked. Doing a double tap simply locks the phone.

Edit: I fixed it by adding my debit card back in there. I had other cards in the wallet though (Covid card and insurance ) which should have popped up.

Weird!

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 20, 2021

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Is it me or is the Move to iOS app for Android pretty lovely? After troubleshooting for half a day I get past the preparation screen and it fails halfway through. :( This is coming from an S21.

False Toaster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 20, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

False Toaster posted:

Is it me or is the Move to iOS app for Android pretty lovely? After troubleshooting for half a day I get past the preparation screen and it fails halfway through. :( This is coming from an S21.

I haven’t used it in about a year, but I used to help people with it all the time and it sucked, and probably still sucks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I've been chugging along on a 6S for the last forever and have decided to finally upgrade after the battery has expectedly gone to poo poo. I'm eyeing the 13mini (since I like the size and the standard iPhones are comparatively ginormous). All I want to know is if there is some appreciable difference between the 13 and 13mini performance/hardware wise that I should be aware of before I throw my money away.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the only difference is battery life, with the mini noticeably worse

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My wife just went from a 6s to 13 mini and loves it. The big change is probably Face ID instead of touch, no home button, and no headphone jack. Otherwise everything else is just straight up better from what I can tell.

Edit: also for her it was a huge battery upgrade since her second 6s battery was on its last legs so if yours is really good/fresh I suppose that could be a downgrade.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The 13 Mini will have lesser battery than the 13, but the reviews for the 13 Mini is that it’s way better than the 12 mini.

Like, the 12 Mini def had a disclaimer in reviews of “you may need to charge this thing twice a day.” The 13 Mini should get through the day for most people.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah Apple claims the 13 mini has the same or slightly better battery life than the iPhone 12 regular, so I don't think it's as bad as a hit anymore.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

So, I've been chugging along on a 6S for the last forever and have decided to finally upgrade after the battery has expectedly gone to poo poo. I'm eyeing the 13mini (since I like the size and the standard iPhones are comparatively ginormous). All I want to know is if there is some appreciable difference between the 13 and 13mini performance/hardware wise that I should be aware of before I throw my money away.

smaller battery on the mini, thats it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Yeah Apple claims the 13 mini has the same or slightly better battery life than the iPhone 12 regular, so I don't think it's as bad as a hit anymore.

that's good to hear about the battery life. I think 99% of the people who wanted a small phone bought the 12 mini so you don't hear much about the 13

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell yeah. I got my COVID booster shot yesterday and I just went to add the updated record to Health and it asked me if I wanted to add my vax status to Wallet, so now I've got my vax card in Wallet.app finally :cool:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Usually some retailer launches some 10-20% discount on iTunes gift cards for Black Friday. Anyone see anything yet?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

Usually some retailer launches some 10-20% discount on iTunes gift cards for Black Friday. Anyone see anything yet?

Apple unified their gift cards for digital and physical stores a few years back. As a result, straight discounts on gift cards are very rare now.

The best you typically get are stores like Best Buy bundling a small GC of their own with a face value Apple Card. I think there’s a “$15 BB with $100 Apple” deal right now.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

target is doing the same $15 on $100 gift card, which may be more useful

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

well next year it's all but confirmed that the mini is going away so anyone who wants a premium small phone best buy a 13 mini before then!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wheeee posted:

well next year it's all but confirmed that the mini is going away so anyone who wants a premium small phone best buy a 13 mini before then!

Wasn't that what everyone was saying earlier this year?

Or :thejoke:?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
IIRC I think people mis-interpreted some kind of report saying that Apple was stopping some kind of production run of the mini iPhone as 'Apple will no longer sell the mini-iPhone'

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks I just checked there and it’s enabled. It also doesn’t work when the phone is locked or unlocked. Doing a double tap simply locks the phone.

Edit: I fixed it by adding my debit card back in there. I had other cards in the wallet though (Covid card and insurance ) which should have popped up.

Weird!

I've determined that it's mostly working as intended that unless you have a payment card in Wallet, it won't quickly appear with a double tap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

I've determined that it's mostly working as intended that unless you have a payment card in Wallet, it won't quickly appear with a double tap.

Strongly dislike this “feature”!

I needed to add the card anyway I just hadn’t done it because the phone was new.

Still it’s a weird way of doing things imo

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got the new iPhone SE as a free upgrade to my ancient cheap rear end phone and I think it might be the smallest smartphone I’ve ever had.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

endlessmonotony posted:

Wasn't that what everyone was saying earlier this year?

Or :thejoke:?

It’s never real until Apple shows it on stage but rumours from generally solid sources are putting the iPhone 14 lineup as a 14/14 Max and 14 Pro/14 Pro Max.

There’s a dedicated market for premium small phones but it’s not a large one, time will tell but a lower priced regular Max that allows people to get a 6.7” screen without the big price jump to the Pro series will likely sell fuckin gangbusters.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finally got my 13 Pro going anddd, I'm not really noticing the 120Hz screen as much as I thought I would. Still, the extra zoom on the 3x seems nice even though it feels like it's a lot like the digital zoom in the 12 Pro? Not noticing much clarity.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ijyt posted:

Finally got my 13 Pro going anddd, I'm not really noticing the 120Hz screen as much as I thought I would. Still, the extra zoom on the 3x seems nice even though it feels like it's a lot like the digital zoom in the 12 Pro? Not noticing much clarity.

If you want to see the difference in 120hz vs 60hz, enable Low Power Mode under Settings > Battery, or alternatively in Accessibility > Motion > Limit Frame Rate. Sometimes I think doing a back to back comparison helps people notice it. For me the difference is huge and it was worth upgrading just for this. But I know some people aren’t as sensitive to framerates.

About the 3x zoom, apparently the 13 Pros are preferring the standard lens + digital zoom over the 3x lens too aggressively which I hope Apple works on.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

False Toaster posted:

Yes, it's terrible.

Last fall I had a friend who was going from a Pixel 2 to iPhone 11, asked me for help because he couldn't get the transfer app to work. Turns out the app just does not work with Pixel 2 and the phones can't "see" one another.

He had message threads with his dead parents on there he didn't want to lose. In order to get the transfer to happen it took borrowing another Android phone, using some Android SMS backup app to transfer and restore the messages. Finally then we tried "Move to iOS" on that phone and crossed our fingers. Luckily it worked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ijyt posted:

Yeah initially I didn’t really notice it but once I put my 12 side by side it was super apparent.

I can definitely tell now.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
What’s my best option for ad blocking on iPhone? Ridiculous how much screen space gets taken up by video ads on some sites on smaller phones.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I buy them on Amazon with my Chase Prime CC and get 5% cash back. Straight discounts are super rare these days ☹️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zerilan posted:

What’s my best option for ad blocking on iPhone? Ridiculous how much screen space gets taken up by video ads on some sites on smaller phones.

1blocker