Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Steven Seagal vs Sean Penn to decide the fate of Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The chad Steven vs the virgin Sean.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

wtf even is this

this literally looks like some smoothbrained "analyst" drew a couple of lines like its some kind of real world fact and called it a day

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i wonder if penn could recognize the nazi iconography. he seems like an absolute moron

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

BrainDance posted:

I don't know what to tell you other than I'm sorry you hang out with lovely people.

thank you for the condescension but it's not just "my experience hanging out with lovely people", its something that tons of people have experienced abroad to the point of being a fairly well grounded reality. my personal experience was living and working in a GCC middle eastern country where there was a clear racial hierarchy of local rich arabs (at least when within earshot) > whites > south asian/SE asian/african guest worker nationalities (which I fell into), which the white expats fully let you know they were aware of when you were working with them.

the brits were the absolute worst. i know its the cursed isle and all that but the people I actually met in the UK were alright, the ones that go to live the expat life abroad are absolute loving scum.

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Nov 20, 2021

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BrainDance posted:

Right, there isn't, there are just guesses based on personal experience.

I don't know what to tell you other than I'm sorry you hang out with lovely people. The expats around Zhengzhou are mostly just normal people with that 1 in 10 or so being lovely, which is higher than it should be, but people pick up on that fast and those people get called out.

I can think of a few people who were awful, and they got exiled fast. Maybe it's different someplace with more people, I dunno.

Are you meeting alcoholic expats at lovely bars or something?

"expats" which is generally used by white people to make themselves feel better and superior to the people that are born and live there. also expats are all colonists and hence poo poo people and a sexpat is always an expat hth

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Agrajag posted:

wtf even is this

this literally looks like some smoothbrained "analyst" drew a couple of lines like its some kind of real world fact and called it a day

why its from our friends at the RAND institute and their paper "War with China: Thinking Through the Unthinkable"

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1140.html

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR1100/RR1140/RAND_RR1140.pdf

of which they have to say this about that figure:

quote:

The hypothesis of a long, severe, and costly war is depicted in Figure 2.1 as notional graphs of expected cumulative declines, or attri- tion, in military capability over time in 2015 and 2025, a period during which Chinese A2AD capability is expected to improve relative to U.S. strike capability. The dotted lines in Figure 2.1 represent a hypothetical moment (T1), within days of the start (T 0), when the sides take stock and decide whether to continue fighting. For our purposes, the figure separates a short conflict from a long one. T 2 is posited as one year; although fighting could continue beyond that, the pattern of losses would remain more or less the same. The first graph (2015) shows that China and the United States both suffer significant but unequal losses in the brief early stage and can expect increasingly divergent losses as war goes on, favoring the United States. The second (2025) shows the effects of improved Chinese A2AD in years to come: China suffers reduced, though still sizable, short-term losses; the United States suffers increased short-term losses; and the gap in expected long-term losses closes.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

oh no I'm not one of those immigrants I'm an ~~expat~~ *fans self*

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Trabisnikof posted:

why its from our friends at the RAND institute and their paper "War with China: Thinking Through the Unthinkable"

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1140.html

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR1100/RR1140/RAND_RR1140.pdf

of which they have to say this about that figure:

so a bunch of made up poo poo gotchya

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

Steven Seagal vs Sean Penn to decide the fate of the Ukraine

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Seagal would kick Penn's rear end, no competition.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUbB-kg6P4

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

oh no I'm not one of those immigrants I'm an ~~expat~~ *fans self*

It's just a word to describe people, talking about "sexpats" what other word do you use here? Sexpats comes from expats.

In real life I just use people's nationality.

mila kunis posted:

thank you for the condescension but it's not just "my experience hanging out with lovely people", its something that tons of people have experienced abroad to the point of being a fairly well grounded reality. my personal experience was living and working in a GCC middle eastern country where there was a clear racial hierarchy of local rich arabs (at least when within earshot) > whites > south asian/SE asian/african guest worker nationalities (which I fell into), which the white expats fully let you know they were aware of when you were working with them.

the brits were the absolute worst. i know its the cursed isle and all that but the people I actually met in the UK were alright, the ones that go to live the expat life abroad are absolute loving scum.

It's not condescension. It's literally what it is, you were with lovely people in apparently not China. That sucks. But it's stupid to be like "all people who go to another country are like this, the racial characteristics of the British make them especially evil." That's a gross thing to do about anyone.

BrainDance has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Nov 20, 2021

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

oh right i forgot the internet suclibs still think winnie the pooh is illegal or some poo poo in china

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

number... go down!?!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Agrajag posted:

so a bunch of made up poo poo gotchya

If we can't be imperial bootlickers we grifters would actually have to find real jobs

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
anyone that actually attempts to boil down a possible world ending and most assuredly a catastrophic war to a couple of lines like econ 101 supply and demand graph is not a serious person and should never be taken seriously

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

BrainDance posted:

It's just a word to describe people, talking about "sexpats" what other word do you use here? Sexpats comes from expats.

In real life I just use people's nationality.

It's not condescension. It's literally what it is, you were with lovely people in apparently not China. That sucks. But it's stupid to be like "all people who go to another country are like this, the racial characteristics of the British make them especially evil." That's a gross thing to do about anyone.

Ehhhh I feel like there's real, attributal filters that create the anglo sexpat creep class, just like how the empire used to send all its most perverted failsons to manage the raj

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Jetto Jagga posted:

Ehhhh I feel like there's real, attributal filters that create the anglo sexpat creep class, just like how the empire used to send all its most perverted failsons to manage the raj

Definitely, and like I said I could tell you stories about people, and the fetishization of Asian women is undeniable.

But the point is, even though that's real, most foreigners living in China are just normal people and not sex creeps, even though they're definitely out there in every seedy bar in Asia.

I am a giant nerd so I play Dungeons and Dragons with a bunch of people, they're just normal nerds who happen to be in China. I got climbing buddies, also pretty normal people. etc. I got a friend getting married pretty soon, I am pretty sure he actually loves his fiancée and is not marrying her because he fetishizes her race.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:pwn:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I don't think that anyone has said every foreigner expat is a sexpat. They definitely exist and it's weird to try to pretend like they're a nonissue or nonexistent.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Those graphs may be ridiculous but they are also terrifying, because what if someone important takes note of the trend over time and decides to do something while they still can?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BrainDance posted:

"all people who go to another country are like this, the racial characteristics of the British make them especially evil." That's a gross thing to do about anyone.

my parents were born and grew up in hong kong during british rule and brit expats treating everyone not white as mere curiosities or lessers is not something made up

in other words gently caress you

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think that anyone has said every foreigner expat is a sexpat. They definitely exist and it's weird to try to pretend like they're a nonissue or nonexistent.

I've literally said multiple times how big of an issue it is. And gave an example, this is that complaint letter that was written and signed by other foreign staff at a university in the area

That guy was a complete sex pest. That's why 6 or so other people who weren't like that wanted him out. Just like Atopian was saying, it's a minority but a big minority.

But you have right in this thread tons of "people living abroad are x", and it's kinda lovely to do that kind of essentialism on any group of people.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be clear, that's the hulk of a beached ship in the shoal that's being disputed. The AFP has soldiers on it to maintain a presence

The supply ships that were driven off were not quite that derelict

i wonder who you have to piss off to get ghost ship duty

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Agrajag posted:

oh right i forgot the internet suclibs still think winnie the pooh is illegal or some poo poo in china

I remember all the big neon signs with him on it advertising disney english

:tinfoil: which is exactly why they banned private tutoring corporations, it all fits

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
hmm yes those people from western countries that have historically colonized, brutalized, and committed war crimes all over asia and south east asia are totally good people and not colonizers

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Russian forces actually attacked Ukraine? You'd think this would be bigger news.

RT is only publishing stories about Putin ordering humanitarian aid to be dispatched to Donbas.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Agrajag posted:

hmm yes those people from western countries that have historically colonized, brutalized, and committed war crimes all over asia and south east asia are totally good people and not colonizers

Random Canadian guy teaching history in China didn't.

I get it you're freaking out and stuff, but I've heard this same poo poo about all kinds of races from people before (famous racist youtube China guy) and it's just a trash way to think about people.

I guess we're talking about British people for some reason. I'm not British but right, gently caress British colonialism and everything that happened. British DnD GM guy just happened to be born there, he didn't do any of that.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

BrainDance posted:

brits are fine. brits who seek out the expat life are reviled (and have a rep at home as well) for good reason. this reverse racism poo poo you and the other guy are pulling is loving sad as hell

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

It's wild to me that someone like this can be a china correspondent and people never wonder if they're getting a good understanding on the thing they're reporting on.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

mila kunis posted:

brits are fine. brits who seek out the expat life are reviled (and have a rep at home as well) for good reason. this reverse racism poo poo you and the other guy are pulling is loving sad as hell

reverse racism isn't a thing and I never said anything about that. If you want to say "group x is all bad because they live in another country" that's lovely, just in general.

It's not even racism, which is why I never said racism. It's just kinda similar to what racist china youtube guy does whenever south africa comes up, but I guess I could make a better comparison to something else.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

BrainDance posted:

reverse racism isn't a thing and I never said anything about that. If you want to say "group x is all bad because they live in another country" that's lovely, just in general.

Agrajag posted:

my parents were born and grew up in hong kong during british rule and brit expats treating everyone not white as mere curiosities or lessers is not something made up

in other words gently caress you

yeah. this is basically on par with going "uhh yeah saying there's a systemic racism issue with whites in idk, rural alabama, is problematic". completely inane nonsense at odds with the reality. it is absolutely reverse racism bullshit because you're trying to misdirect valid criticism of the racist and lovely attitudes of these people onto the people who've experienced it and pointed it out. gently caress off

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Nov 20, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I don't think it's reverse racism, I think it stems from a fundamentally racial world view b/c nothing else seems consistent

I remember when goons called out Elon Musk when that diver in Thailand offered to save those kids lives and Musk called him a pedophile based on the fact that he lived in Thailand

Musk is dumb and goons were right to call him out

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

if anyone doubts the accuracy of throatwarblers summary this twitter woman who describes peng shuai as a victim downthread did a full translation of the post

https://twitter.com/RaducanuIN/status/1460420303905955840

The full context makes the line "forced me to have sex" a lot clearer, but her treatment appears to have been completely unacceptable regardless.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

mila kunis posted:

yeah. this is basically on par with going "uhh yeah saying there's a systemic racism issue with whites in idk, rural alabama, is problematic". completely inane nonsense at odds with the reality. it is absolutely reverse racism bullshit because you're trying to misdirect valid criticism of the racist and lovely attitudes of these people onto the people who've experienced it and pointed it out. gently caress off

The only point I made was actually about the "sexpats" stuff, that most people living in another country are just normal people, though a too big minority of them are lovely. That was it. Agrajag and you keep trying to have another conversation, maybe we disagree here but I actually do feel like British colonialism is not really something you should use to say whatever about random guy who happened to be born in England and now lives in China.

I'm not even gonna disagree for the most part, Agrajag's parents experience sounds right, and that's poo poo. But it has nothing to do with that random English guy unless you have a really, really bad sort of tribal view of the world. And I dunno, this is what saying "most foreigners in China aren't sexpats, but enough are that it's a problem" brings out then I guess that says it all.

You seem to want it to be about race, but that's you that's not what I was on about.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

are there places where sexpats aren’t a thing? American and British nationals in Turkey don’t seem especially horny, certainly no more than locals who will walk up and yell “Hello. Are you sex?” to any foreign woman. the weird ones are the journalists but they’re weird for being bloodthirsty. the main stereotype i observe is expats drink way too much.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

BrainDance posted:

The only point I made was actually about the "sexpats" stuff, that most people living in another country are just normal people, though a too big minority of them are lovely. That was it. Agrajag and you keep trying to have another conversation, maybe we disagree here but I actually do feel like British colonialism is not really something you should use to say whatever about random guy who happened to be born in England and now lives in China.

I'm not even gonna disagree for the most part, Agrajag's parents experience sounds right, and that's poo poo. But it has nothing to do with that random English guy unless you have a really, really bad sort of tribal view of the world. And I dunno, this is what saying "most foreigners in China aren't sexpats, but enough are that it's a problem" brings out then I guess that says it all.

You seem to want it to be about race, but that's you that's not what I was on about.

because it isn't just historical and past colonialism its an ongoing thing, it's not a "tribal view of the world" (like what tribe am i fighting on part of when everyone from the spanish and the french in europe to filipinos, indonesians, indians, pakistanis, bangladeshis, ethiopians, etc etc in the middle east have experienced absolute garbage treatment) , and saying poo poo like "if you believe british expat communities are racist...perhaps it is you who is the racist??" is reddit tier reverse racism deflection from a systemic issue with expat communities abroad.

there's an absolutely lovely toxic mix of racial, class and sexual politics people have experienced from white expat communities in poor countries and i can only assume that your reflexive defensiveness of it just being a small minority of bad apples comes from being enmeshed in it and not having experienced being at the receiving end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

mila kunis posted:

because it isn't just historical and past colonialism its an ongoing thing, it's not a "tribal view of the world" (like what tribe am i fighting on part of when everyone from the spanish and the french in europe to filipinos, indonesians, indians, pakistanis, bangladeshis, ethiopians, etc etc in the middle east have experienced absolute garbage treatment) , and saying poo poo like "if you believe british expat communities are racist...perhaps it is you who is the racist??" is reddit tier reverse racism deflection from a systemic issue with expat communities abroad.

See? What are you doing, I literally said none of that. What conversation are you having? Who are you talking to?

mila kunis posted:

there's an absolutely lovely toxic mix of racial, class and sexual politics people have experienced from white expat communities in poor countries and i can only assume that your reflexive defensiveness of it just being a small minority of bad apples comes from being enmeshed in it and not having experienced being at the receiving end of it.

I completely agree with you! And if you wanted to have that conversation, sure, but it would be me agreeing with you. But right now you're just arguing with some random argument you wanna have that has nothing to do with what I've said.