Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's every luxury car driver, and also minivans. Whenever I am around one I get the fear.

my experience is mostly in Europe, I think Mercedes are driven by a lot more people in Germany, and in Turkey by government officials and run of the mill rich people who aren’t all wild eyed dangerous drivers. they also make vans and are used by taxi drivers, even buses — many Istanbul city buses were Mercedes at one point. so I don’t have particular associations with them. BMW seems more like they target a similar sicko demographic in other countries, same as Audi. but idk, i can’t drive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

some confusion about this thread it seems. the title is "I hate cars", not "i hate cars, except for this second hand audi and hot hatch"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The only moral car is my car.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I hate all cars in this god forsaken world and I wish they were all used for regrowing coral reefs instead of polluting our world!!!!!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I'll say I don't like e-bikes or e-scooters because some people on those things are not experienced cyclists and make narrow bike lanes in peak hour a nightmare.

On dedicated paths they're no problem. But when you're in traffic and exerting physical effort to keep pace while checking for hazzards in your own little lane, its sucks to have somebody buzzing you at random speeds and not observing what little etiquette there is. Ideally they should have their own dedicated lanes. Or like, some level of training.

The amount of those dumb e-scooters I see getting around in my inner city neighbourhood doing 30km while the rider isn't wearing a helmet is nuts.

e: i am a dedicated cyclist, just to be clear.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
So non-motorists are fighting over a tiny piece of infrastructure that cannot possibly support all of its users while cars get carte blanche to poo poo up the atmosphere and ruin everyone's lives. I don't think lovely e-bike riders can really be held responsible for that situation.

I will say I am not into bikes having a throttle that goes up to 28mph being in the same places where people are walking and pushing baby strollers, but again, thats an issue with car culture mostly.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i walked to the coffee shop by my house this morning and am enjoying a coffee and blueberry danish. should be possible to do this everywhere, and also there should be more than like one place to walk to in this stupid neighborhood lol. good coffee though!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

lobster shirt posted:

i walked to the coffee shop by my house this morning and am enjoying a coffee and blueberry danish. should be possible to do this everywhere, and also there should be more than like one place to walk to in this stupid neighborhood lol. good coffee though!
WALK‽ Like a peasant? No thank you, I'll hop in my assault vehicles to drive 15 minutes to reach the nearest chain drive through.

Carbucks this morning had a driver who was paying too much attention to his phone while in line and ended up overshooting the turn he needed to stay in line, so he was blocking the entire thing, screaming at everyone to let him back up and make the turn and everyone behind him screaming for him to just drive off.

Edit: lol, one of the best anti-car commercials and it's a car commercial:
https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1461878849143144450?t=NADh73wzm-Hot16J0FqN-w&s=19

Cugel the Clever has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Nov 20, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dolphin posted:

it's a car

it's actually a station wagon

Animal Friend posted:

I'll say I don't like e-bikes or e-scooters because some people on those things are not experienced cyclists and make narrow bike lanes in peak hour a nightmare.

On dedicated paths they're no problem. But when you're in traffic and exerting physical effort to keep pace while checking for hazzards in your own little lane, its sucks to have somebody buzzing you at random speeds and not observing what little etiquette there is. Ideally they should have their own dedicated lanes. Or like, some level of training.

The amount of those dumb e-scooters I see getting around in my inner city neighbourhood doing 30km while the rider isn't wearing a helmet is nuts.

e: i am a dedicated cyclist, just to be clear.

yeah I live right by a huge public university, and pre-covid students were on those lime scooters all the time, they go insanely fast and there's definitely a lot of serious injuries from them. I knew someone who was an ER doc and he said it was so common they called it "lime disease" lol

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Nov 20, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cugel the Clever posted:

https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1461878849143144450?t=NADh73wzm-Hot16J0FqN-w&s=19

I am losing my mind

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pointsofdata posted:

some confusion about this thread it seems. the title is "I hate cars", not "i hate cars, except for this second hand audi and hot hatch"

it's ok to hate cars, as long as you give Miatas a pass

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Dolphin posted:

it's a car

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Filthy Hans posted:

it's ok to hate cars, as long as you give Miatas a pass

Two wheels good, four wheels bad

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
stood in the middle of the street while talking to a neighbor as cars had to drive around me, felt good

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

Two wheels good, four wheels bad

wheels on tracks also good

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

:stare: lol holy poo poo, the overhead shot of 10 football fields of asphalt holding 100 people.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Nov 20, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

pointsofdata posted:

cars are cool. cars as the primary and often times only transportation option for all new infrastructure projects on all levels of government such that 90% of our living space and budgets and planning is centered around cars is poo poo.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
basically cars should be strictly in the realm of hobbyists like sailboats and planes and skateboards and recreational water vehicles.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

basically cars should be strictly in the realm of hobbyists like sailboats and planes and skateboards and recreational water vehicles.

those things are all vastly better than cars though???

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I remember that saturn ad, they were supposed to be the edgy subversive working class car company which is a hilarious proposition for a GM subsidiary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om9DXeycCco

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
im visiting my parents in Texas and their subdivision is 2.3 miles from the nearest store (its a gas station convenience store) and there are no sidewalks that go to it. there is one lovely park in the whole thing. for coffee this morning we had to drive 5 miles both ways. Way cool.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

So non-motorists are fighting over a tiny piece of infrastructure that cannot possibly support all of its users while cars get carte blanche to poo poo up the atmosphere and ruin everyone's lives. I don't think lovely e-bike riders can really be held responsible for that situation.

I will say I am not into bikes having a throttle that goes up to 28mph being in the same places where people are walking and pushing baby strollers, but again, thats an issue with car culture mostly.

Yeh, I can do 40kmh easy on my ebike, but I'm not going to do that on a shared bike path or cycle lane. If I want to overtake someone when I'm riding in a cycle lane I just wait till there's a gap in traffic.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

im visiting my parents in Texas and their subdivision is 2.3 miles from the nearest store (its a gas station convenience store) and there are no sidewalks that go to it. there is one lovely park in the whole thing. for coffee this morning we had to drive 5 miles both ways. Way cool.

1. move to suburban texas
2. realize you are spending 5 hours a day in your car
3. use 2. to rationalize dumping 100% of your money into the nicest biggest car you can possibly acquire

This is Texas!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Pryor on Fire posted:

1. move to suburban texas
2. realize you are spending 5 hours a day in your car
3. use 2. to rationalize dumping 100% of your money into the nicest biggest car you can possibly acquire

This is Texas!
4. Place the blame for becoming increasingly unhealthy on you metabolism instead of your increasingly sedentary lifestyle

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ArmZ posted:

those things are all vastly better than cars though???

yeah, like if cars were relegated to that niche, it'd be one of the most expensive hobbies to maintain on that list and would actually demonstrate what a loving hassle it is except for diehard mechanics

the auto tycoons would melt down~ :grin:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

im visiting my parents in Turkey and they moved somewhere like that, which is a loving feat in a country like this. I feel like I’m in Bellevue and want to go back to Seattle. there’s nowhere to walk to, nothing to see, and nowhere out but to drive — and I don’t know how to drive. this sucks.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

mawarannahr posted:

im visiting my parents in Turkey and they moved somewhere like that, which is a loving feat in a country like this. I feel like I’m in Bellevue and want to go back to Seattle. there’s nowhere to walk to, nothing to see, and nowhere out but to drive — and I don’t know how to drive. this sucks.

My parents lived in a place like this in a Suburb of Ankara. It was tremendously lovely. It took them about a year to get sick of it and move to a flat in the city. Totally different experience for sure!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Radirot posted:

:stare: lol holy poo poo, the overhead shot of 10 football fields of asphalt holding 100 people.

as a compromise, if we wanted, instead of banning cars we could just ban the gently caress out of parking lots

parking lots are even more laughably a waste of space than roads are

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
not sure about that. seems you can’t have one without the other.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Yeah you can thank cars for the awful urban planning that approved and built their neighborhood

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SKULL.GIF posted:

as a compromise, if we wanted, instead of banning cars we could just ban the gently caress out of parking lots

look at this centrist

ban cars and lots

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

SKULL.GIF posted:

The giant fist splitting the asphalt of the road to crush the car in its grasp in 1971, was the compromise

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

every day i wake up and hate car

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Any car positivity in this thread should be probe worthy

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
gently caress the car. gently caress the car. gently caress the car. Choo Chooo!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a truck crushing a toddler beneath its tires—forever.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Slider posted:

Are rollerblades cool?

Yes. They're making a comeback. When I go for fitness rides on weekends i see lots of people out on rollerblades.

Its a really fun way to exercise. I got back into it recently because I have friend's who play ice hockey and when the rinks were closed here due to covid they bought rollerblades.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

gently caress the car. gently caress the car. gently caress the car. Choo Chooo!

https://i.imgur.com/V3BqS0C.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

this hurts the train