Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The slow slap claps back. :nyd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I could just be biased bc its so much better than the rest of the show but it really felt like the empire plot was the only arch with the slightest bit of development and thought and everything else was just padding to fit a 10 episode streaming series format. did we really need like eight episodes of the hostage situation if hari can just show up and monologue the entire situation away immediately

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
OH! I forgot-

"Well do a thing that looks like a solar flare killed everyone in the system"

Cool, they'll see that in a few thousand years and think you're dead...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah they should have made a sci-fi show only about a space empire run by clones.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ive never wanted a show to get cancelled so bad dude

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I got banned for a few hours, when I finished episode, I got so mad because I couldn't rant against the stupidity of the Gaal/Salvor union. Hey at least these two stupid plots are converged so they will take up less screen time together. Hopefully.

Really like the Lee Pace part, I think it went from the usual 7 to a 8. I watched the the "execution" scene and the "throne room argument" scenes twice. That flower girl actress..... This was probably her last outing in the show and she was acting against Lee Pace, yet she couldn't raise above her usual lifelessness. Robot girl going buffer overflow could have been done better. CGI terminator just looked loving goofy.

I have no hope for any book related part, but looking forward to S2.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 20, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

withak posted:

Yeah they should have made a sci-fi show only about a space empire run by clones.

Yeah, going deep on the political and economic machinations that led to the creation of the clones in the first place. I’m envisioning a scenario where trade disputes in one system reverberate throughout the galaxy, influencing the economies of entire worlds and sparking wars that overwhelm existing order. I’d watch!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Bargearse posted:

Ok now that they’ve finally gotten to the drat point the show is good again

So what is the point?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

Yeah, going deep on the political and economic machinations that led to the creation of the clones in the first place. I’m envisioning a scenario where trade disputes in one system reverberate throughout the galaxy, influencing the economies of entire worlds and sparking wars that overwhelm existing order. I’d watch!

Eve Online: The Show

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Phenotype posted:

What's more, the only compelling storyline is a brand new character (x3) that has no real analogue from the books. I kinda wish they wouldn't have bothered with the Foundation IP and just done a full show about the life and times of the Cleons.

David S Goyer probably write a God Emperor Dune rip off show but Apple knocked on his door and said, here is crazy gently caress you budget to make a Foundation show.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Though I have to wonder, all this cloning and assisted reproduction technology is going to make the idea of the Mule being sterile kind of pointless

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Poor Azimov. Can't we just leave him alone unless Villeneuve has an interest? Or Panos Cosmatos for the possibly insane take on it. I'm now picturing Nick Cage from Mandy doing the role of Hari Seldon and that would have been amazing.

I feel like Alex Garland could do some cool poo poo with Asimov, but gently caress it: batshit kaleidoscopic chaos sounds amazing.

withak posted:

Hard agree. It's insane how quickly any life or energy in this show evaporates outside of the Cleon storyline. "Let's watch some morally-complex Space Kings and their immortal robot nanny traverse an opulent galaxy of cultures, and then for balance we'll cut back to some half-asleep accountants debating regulations inside a shipping container in Montana."

Nobody I've spoken to about this show feels anything at all for any of the Terminus characters. Not even hate, just complete boredom.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Goons jumping into the system with a chorus of “fofofofofofofofofo” would be entertaining.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

OH! I forgot-

"Well do a thing that looks like a solar flare killed everyone in the system"

Cool, they'll see that in a few thousand years and think you're dead...

It was already established in the show that Empire has communication relays which work instantly, and even if they didn't, they have jump ships that can jump within astronomical surveying distance, though I wonder if that'd actually be practical. I suppose that could be calculated by dividing the galaxy into circles with a radius of 5 light years and assuming a rate of jumping

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 20, 2021

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I expected dumb but the final episode was really bad and boring. At least the other episodes had some mild intriguing things happening. I haven't watched an episode of a show that felt like it wasted my life as badly as this one in a while, holy poo poo. I hope they don't renew for season 2.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Dessel posted:

I expected dumb but the final episode was really bad and boring. At least the other episodes had some mild intriguing things happening. I haven't watched an episode of a show that felt like it wasted my life as badly as this one in a while, holy poo poo. I hope they don't renew for season 2.

They already have. They juiced their scores on meta-critic websites for the first season by showing critics only the first three episodes, before they had started severely deviating from the books, so they've got 70% on Rotten Tomatoes now, as well.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 20, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zlodo posted:

"ok ship land on synnax"
*minutes later*
"oh gently caress poo poo I forgot the water planet is like all water"
*ship starts sinking*

*seldon, smugly* as I calculated

Suddenly Seldon's ghost is stabbed, he turns around and... it's the Ghost of the Huntress!
Ghost Huntress: Haha yes, as I skillfully planned, I had Salvor kill me to become a ghost so I could kill you (some more) and take over the Foundation!
Ghost Hari: ...but... how did you... get the access codes?
Ghost Huntress: I found the other Ghost Hari and told him I would murder him if he didn't give me the access codes that were the only thing keeping him ghost-alive, and after he did I ghost-killed him before checking they were the right codes :smug:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So, I guess there no reason why Day let robomom live after she killed Dawn? Day was clearly thinking of Dawn as his son rather than his brother and was willing to torture assassin gardener. But she just goes against his wishes and kills what he thinks as his son and he lets her live?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Nitrousoxide posted:

So, I guess there no reason why Day let robomom live after she killed Dawn? Day was clearly thinking of Dawn as his son rather than his brother and was willing to torture assassin gardener. But she just goes against his wishes and kills what he thinks as his son and he lets her live?

lol nobody cares

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oh yeah I forgot to post about the thing that made me laugh real hard.

Gaal's dumb voiceover says "As for the Invictus, Hugo Crass, of all people, became its captain."

Hugo Crass, the guy who has travelled across the galaxy, piloting his own ship, coming to understand the nature of multiple societies across the stars, of all people uhhh yeah, actually, he should be the loving captain! Don't "of all people" that poo poo like he's some dullard who came into some good luck.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Day let her live because her programming is specifically "to be loyal to the Cleonic Dynasty above all else." Mutated Dawn isn't a part of that Dynasty and, probably through her perspective, is now the cause for fisticuffs between Day and Dusk, so he must be eliminated to ensure the Dynasty survives.
Seemed straight forward to me tbh.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 20, 2021

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Jerusalem posted:

Suddenly Seldon's ghost is stabbed, he turns around and... it's the Ghost of the Huntress!
Ghost Huntress: Haha yes, as I skillfully planned, I had Salvor kill me to become a ghost so I could kill you (some more) and take over the Foundation!
Ghost Hari: ...but... how did you... get the access codes?
Ghost Huntress: I found the other Ghost Hari and told him I would murder him if he didn't give me the access codes that were the only thing keeping him ghost-alive, and after he did I ghost-killed him before checking they were the right codes :smug:

By far the funniest part of the writing on this show was the Huntress just using this tactic over and over and over again.

Like there's no reason to write in all these security features that rely on a person being alive if you're just going to have someone else kill that person anyway! It doesn't make any sense! The Huntress walking onto a ship, killing the crew, and stealing the ship is exactly the same as the Huntress saying "Aha! I will kill you unless you give me the only thing keeping you alive!" and then killing that person anyway.

And she's not even subtle about it! She spends basically two entire episodes telling Salvor "boy I wish I could kill you but I can't BUT I WOULD"

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Nice callback to Goyer's previous work as writer of Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice with The Vault turning out to be Kal-El's Seldon's fortress of solitude.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So the ghost Hari in the vault is different from the ghost Hari that's on the ship? And the vault Hari is made from the special coffin and the other ghost Hari is made from the blood on the knife.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cojawfee posted:

So the ghost Hari in the vault is different from the ghost Hari that's on the ship? And the vault Hari is made from the special coffin and the other ghost Hari is made from the blood on the knife.

Correct. Vault Hari didn't know about Gaal while ship Hari would, of course, know about her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So since Hari ate the "turn your body into a floating obelisk" pill, is Chekov's knife gonna build Gaal and Salvor a little babby-vault for the 2.5th Foundation?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

These 2 ghosts are made from completely different technology!

Ghost 1 is created with wireless brain scan a al Cyberpunk trope, ghost 2 is made from batshit insane nanobot that can transform brain into...holographic memory sticks? Nanomachines son.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just want Salvor to have a little tiny ghost Hari that keeps popping out of her pockets every so often to say,"This is exactly as I planned." You know, so she can always remember her friend The Huntress in spirit at least.

Edit: Also, have to laugh at that poor Anacreon having to explain to his people that he gave their treasured bow to somebody who promptly hosed off and disappeared for over a century.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Please stop exposing Jarred Harris to the harsh rays of the sun unless the writing improves!!!

The man looks like he just finished walking the spiral

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008
Somebody check the episode but according to *cough* Reddit the ship that Gaal left with RoboHariOne exploded after she jettisoned. However, supposedly the dagger flashed before she got put into stasis and so RobiHariOne might have uploaded himself. This would require rewatching the episode, and I am just not up for that...lol.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

You laugh but I can promise you this exact idea has come across actual Hollywood desks

https://variety.com/2014/digital/news/how-the-eve-online-tv-series-could-become-the-next-game-of-thrones-1201088301/

like all things eve...loving lol

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

stephenthinkpad posted:

These 2 ghosts are made from completely different technology!

Ghost 1 is created with wireless brain scan a al Cyberpunk trope, ghost 2 is made from batshit insane nanobot that can transform brain into...holographic memory sticks? Nanomachines son.

I didn't actually think about this but its insane. Its really incredibly insane writing to have 2 different ghosts of someone made from 2 unrelated technologies. Why would anyone write that.

I predict season 2 will give us a 3rd Hari who's a full body robot with positronic brain, then the cliffhanger at the end of the season will be a 4th Hari who's come back thanks to a voodoo black magic spell cast by a wizard. This will be followed by an unexpected twist revealing the fabled 5th Hari who's actually a Vampyre. Of course, this was all a smokescreen to surprise us in season 5 with Clone emperor Hari, who was behind the dynasty all along. All will be lost until we see star child Hari, a being of pure light.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My problem with this show is still that it constantly undermines its own premises, and it's just all so dumb. Just, dumb. Nothing about Salvor's plotline makes any sense, aside from being a vessel for "space people going pew pew pew", the entire ranting scene from Seldon falls so flat, and on top of that he is some combination of space wizard and hologram I suppose?

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
I guess I have something new to watch....

Childhood's End is very watchable, it has the Game of Thrones man being the Devil, kind of, and for what it is the CGI/makeup is good

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

I didn't actually think about this but its insane. Its really incredibly insane writing to have 2 different ghosts of someone made from 2 unrelated technologies. Why would anyone write that.

Hari seems to have access to magical technology that would start the technological singularity if the general public had access to it. Are they trying to say Hari is some kind of space wizard? Is he inventing this stuff? No one is surprised that he can do these things, so either the technology is common or Hari just has a reputation for inventing impossible technologies in addition to predicting the future

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
I assumed that the "is that a door" line is supposed to prime us to understand that it's actually the same AI god hari from the ship that has taken that door to the vault

the vault needed to be created so there was a door for him to walk through

imo it's the same stupid hari

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

I predict season 2 will give us a 3rd Hari who's a full body robot with positronic brain, then the cliffhanger at the end of the season will be a 4th Hari who's come back thanks to a voodoo black magic spell cast by a wizard. This will be followed by an unexpected twist revealing the fabled 5th Hari who's actually a Vampyre. Of course, this was all a smokescreen to surprise us in season 5 with Clone emperor Hari, who was behind the dynasty all along. All will be lost until we see star child Hari, a being of pure light.

GHOST BATTLE GHOST BATTLE

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Yer a wizard, Hari

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Tom Guycot posted:

We're going to find out that Demerzel is actually a Hari AI that was sent back in time and is secretly bringing down Empire...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Red Fructidor posted:

Yer a wizard, Hari

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Red Fructidor posted:

Yer a wizard, Hari

Thread title, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
whoever said "it would be stupid if we found out that salvor is gaal's daughter, so it's probably gonna happen" deserves an award