Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There's no reason to suspect Ocompans mature as slowly as humans. On earth many other species are born closer to adult than humans. Plenty of creatures on earth reach adult maturity in under a year. We're born immature partly because our giant brains have to fit through another humans's pelvic bones.

Ocompans, perhaps unique in humanoids, are not birthed through pelvic bones but out of a cyst grown on the back. Potentially that could allow them have giant brains, but also not spend months and months being a helpless useless baby. A cat is as smart as it is ever going to be within 6 months of birth.

Some octopus have proven to be very clever with only a 3 year lifespan. In the future we may find out octopus are people capable of language and math, with a fully adult brain within a few months of hatching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Khanstant posted:

What's wrose is they never even tried to conceptualize what that short lifespan would mean. Like, she just inexplicably hd the knowledge, education, emotional intelligence, and all this other poo poo that takes beings years of growing up to learn, countless interactions with others, school, etc.

Like there's a lot of potential interesting tension when an adult body with a 2-year-old-mind comes up with ideas or tries to interact or understand the world. I Think You Should Leave has a skit where Tim is yelled at someone accusing him of not knowing how to drive and he screams" I don't! I don't know how to drive and I'm fucknig scared, I don't know what any of this poo poo IS!!!" That should've been Kes like half the time. Instead Kes was like, oh sure, I know how to do this specific work you spent years learning the basic of.

Alternately they could have had it that due to their short life spans their brains learn things incredibly quick. So she may not know how anything on a starship works, but once its been shown to her once, she's got it memorized how it works sort of thing. So she could start out not having a clue, and after several seasons be a middle aged crew memeber who's an expert on systems across the ship.

Theres so much curious stuff they could have explored.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My species is noted for becoming alarmingly jaded at an accelerated rate

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tom Guycot posted:

Alternately they could have had it that due to their short life spans their brains learn things incredibly quick. So she may not know how anything on a starship works, but once its been shown to her once, she's got it memorized how it works sort of thing. So she could start out not having a clue, and after several seasons be a middle aged crew memeber who's an expert on systems across the ship.

Theres so much curious stuff they could have explored.

She does seem to pick up the Doctor's medical lessons very quickly. It just never goes anywhere.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tom Guycot posted:

Alternately they could have had it that due to their short life spans their brains learn things incredibly quick. So she may not know how anything on a starship works, but once its been shown to her once, she's got it memorized how it works sort of thing.

That's literally how it works, they even explicitly said that on screen.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sure all that's true but you wouldn't let an adult marry young Sheldon or doogie howser or whatever because even if they can learn a lot of knowledge we don't think that many years makes them emotionally and socially mature

We'd have to rethink that if we meet Ocampans.

The fact that dogs are "adults" when they're two is completely irrelevant because they can never consent and aren't people in any case

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Keep in mind that the Ocampans aren't a naturally evolving race. The Caretaker hosed around with their genetics.

Still, yeah, the writers dropped the ball with that episode where Kes thought she was pregnant, and we learn that Ocampans get pregnant only once in their lives, and it was strongly hinted that she would have only one child.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

Keep in mind that the Ocampans aren't a naturally evolving race. The Caretaker hosed around with their genetics.

Still, yeah, the writers dropped the ball with that episode where Kes thought she was pregnant, and we learn that Ocampans get pregnant only once in their lives, and it was strongly hinted that she would have only one child.

impossible for a naturally occurring species but I guess it could be true when you have a meddling Caretaker

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, we are spending a lot of time on a society/species that mathematically cannot exist.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Say your alien species gives birth to a fully grown adult who can speak and i guess is born knowing geography and civics or picks it up all the subjects instantly . Still feels like they experience time linearly at the same rate as anyone else. A person person who only has lived for a couple years worth of time has a massive gulf of possible total experiences and interactions with which to learn from, possibly even compared to children. Human children aren't scifi-smart, developed, mature, etc, but they still have more experience interacting with other beings or experiencing how the world functions as you're in it, --if nothing else, lived to see more sunsets. Part of or the main whole thing of being an adult isn't just education and finishing growing but having experienced the world over long enough times to have accumulated and formed the little experiences and perspectives you share with other people or that help you relate to them or navigate society, even just form memories to "remember" or share with others. Making friends and social connections also just takes time, time often spent with other people also going through time one second at a time.

Maybe the duration of time one exists isn't that important given scifi biology, but inheriting all that life knowledge, world awareness, wisdom, perspectives, beliefs, opinions, etc is kind of like inheriting another person's personality and experiences. Seems worth a mention or exploration if they thought it through.

What's up with inorganic/AI life? When are soongroids considered adults? Do crystal entities and organics ever fall in love?

How old is the Doctor, he has a few dates he could consider his "birthday?" Likewise for various sentient holograms like Moriarty.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

swickles posted:

Yeah, we are spending a lot of time on a society/species that mathematically cannot exist.

We've got a lot of time to kill until the next episode of Orville.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Wow, look at all the new posts in The Orville thread! A new trailer must have drop-

Years later, Voyager still manages to illicit disappointment

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We could talk about a founder marrying a Jem'Hadar instead

So many questions

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Do you think alien races in Orville are able to hybridize like Star Trek races? Should we be expecting to see a half-Moclan half-human at some point? Have we and I've just forgotten? That's a possibility as well I get very stoned

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

We could talk about a founder marrying a Jem'Hadar instead

So many questions

What if Yaphit is descended from the Founders? One of those castaway babies was real lazy and never figured out shapeshifting beyond growing a mouth on his goo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

What if Yaphit is descended from the Founders? One of those castaway babies was real lazy and never figured out shapeshifting beyond growing a mouth on his goo.

*shrugs* *looks around at crew* "Looks like that's all everyone else managed, too."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The way things are going, all IP will eventually come to be owned by Disney at which point Trek can start slowly incorporating whatever good aliens from fiction they want into the fold.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Facebook Aunt posted:

RIP Norm :(

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Facebook Aunt posted:

nah we see others of his kind:

same episode where we saw a Romulan jacket from Star Trek Nemesis reused:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Brawnfire posted:

Do you think alien races in Orville are able to hybridize like Star Trek races? Should we be expecting to see a half-Moclan half-human at some point? Have we and I've just forgotten? That's a possibility as well I get very stoned

This is a really good question, and since reading this i've been going back through the show in my head. Its so common in star trek for species mixes, but has any mix of species ever showed up in the orville? Dating cross species is certainly common but, I can't recall any mixed people or talk of it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

nah we see others of his kind:

Yes, we've also seen a picture of him with is brother. They both used to be his mother, the species reproduces through division.

We don't know how the founders reproduce, but it could also be division. The castaway babies could be formed by asymmetric division, where you get one big normal blob and one stupid tiny blob that doesn't know anything. One of the babies grows up but never develops shapeshifting but does discover reproduction through division. The foundation of a new subspecies of founders.

Of course they aren't on the same show so that's pretty unlikely.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Khanstant posted:

What's wrose is they never even tried to conceptualize what that short lifespan would mean. Like, she just inexplicably hd the knowledge, education, emotional intelligence, and all this other poo poo that takes beings years of growing up to learn, countless interactions with others, school, etc.

Like there's a lot of potential interesting tension when an adult body with a 2-year-old-mind comes up with ideas or tries to interact or understand the world. I Think You Should Leave has a skit where Tim is yelled at someone accusing him of not knowing how to drive and he screams" I don't! I don't know how to drive and I'm fucknig scared, I don't know what any of this poo poo IS!!!" That should've been Kes like half the time. Instead Kes was like, oh sure, I know how to do this specific work you spent years learning the basic of.

Big Bird has been exploring these topics in depth for decades

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TK-42-1 posted:

RIP Norm :(

I loved Norm Macdonald, but I was never really fond of Yaphit. "Horny goo monster" just didn't seem like the right vehicle for him. I was hoping that Yaphit would get sucked into the replicator intake and turned into jello on the same day that big, goofy "Ensign Morn" joins the crew.

Ya know, I just thought of something. Supposedly Macdonald had a "very private" battle with cancer, telling only his family and close friends. What if he had confided in Seth Macfarlane, who in turn created a part for him that was all voice acting, making it much easier for him to work it in alongside treatments?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Wow, look at all the new posts in The Orville thread! A new trailer must have drop-

Years later, Voyager still manages to illicit disappointment

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IzLlx6XbsA

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

My species is noted for becoming alarmingly jaded at an accelerated rate

Planet GenX

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I can't remember, has he ever played piano in the show? If not it seems like a very TNG thing to have him do so.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Isaac taught one of the boys to play Piano (drawing a blank on the name, the little one). No one else has as far as I remember.

He should play while Bortus does karaoke.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bortus guest starred on Family Guy this week

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Holy crap. I had no idea he was even a musician, let alone that he could do... that. Level of respect for J Lee just ratcheted up a whole bunch of clicks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah I'd let him have me

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gynovore posted:

I loved Norm Macdonald, but I was never really fond of Yaphit. "Horny goo monster" just didn't seem like the right vehicle for him. I was hoping that Yaphit would get sucked into the replicator intake and turned into jello on the same day that big, goofy "Ensign Morn" joins the crew.

Ya know, I just thought of something. Supposedly Macdonald had a "very private" battle with cancer, telling only his family and close friends. What if he had confided in Seth Macfarlane, who in turn created a part for him that was all voice acting, making it much easier for him to work it in alongside treatments?

I mean I don't think he was diagnosed that long ago, surely?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Taear posted:

I mean I don't think he was diagnosed that long ago, surely?
Nine years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dunno if this was already out there but new eps start March 10th.

https://tvline.com/2021/12/17/the-orville-season-3-first-photo/

Bridge is completely redesigned, I hadn't seen that before.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

We get one last bit of Norm :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Boxleitner as a sci-fi president?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gaz-L posted:

Unprecedented!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gaz-L posted:

I enjoyed him tweeting it
It's really poo poo that this is the last season, honestly it is.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Taear posted:

this is the last season

Might be* the last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
They said that about lucifer and it took 3 ‘final seasons’ and an episode doubling of one of them before it finally happened.